Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Television Trouble Finder » The Hazards of Joining The Legion

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Hazards of Joining The Legion
Non-Magnetic Kid
No longer mangled nor magnetic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Non-Magnetic Kid   Email Non-Magnetic Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I was rereading some back issues yesterday when it struck me that joining the Legion any time after the earliest of Adventure days (say pre #330) placed you in the category of cannon fodder in the eyes of the writers, or so it seems to me.

The list includes Legionnaires such as:

Karate Kid - killed by Nemesis Kid

Princess Projectra - consort killed, eventually turned into a snake by writers

Ferro Lad - poor kid never had a chance! Sacrificed to Sun Eater

Nemesis Kid - great potential but created to be a traitor

Timber Wolf - initally thought he was an android; then became addicted to a FRUIT! Found the love of his Life (Lass) who ditched him for Vi (sort of); eventually turned into Furball!

Chemical King - given an inferiority complex and eventually sacrificed to prevent a World War (just about the only significant appearance he made other than when he was inducted!)

Wildfire - actually killed off immediately; brought back to life because of the uproar from the fans for such an interesting charachter,

Tyroc - 'nuff said!

Dawnstar - falls in love with an energy being; possessed by an evil entity that cuts off her wings;

Quislet - poor litle guy was doing well and then, all of a sudden, poof! Gone just like that!

Tellus - from Legionnaire to Dark Circle

Polar Boy - all those years of trying and when he finally joins the world starts to fall apart around him, until even the LSH closes up shop on him!

Mysa - ends up married to Mordru!

Blok - killed off by writers for shock value

Magnetic Kid - killed off by writers because... well, just because.

Did I miss anyone? I think that's everyone that joined through the end of the Magic Wars and the only exception I can think of to my observation is Shady.

--------------------
Pol ~ The kid with the magnetic personality !

From: We're coming Vee!!!! | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
how about:

Lightning Lad: Killed, lost an arm, had a nervous break down, found to really be a sentient protomorphic blob, killed again

Element Lad: Turned into an insane genocidal god-like being

Triplicate Girl: Pre-boot slowly whittled away

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Don't forget:

Kid Quantum I - Bought the ranch his first day on the job (post-boot)

Leviathan (Gim Allon) - Became a REALLY big corpse.

Monstress - fried by Element Lad.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Magnetic Kid:
Timber Wolf - initally thought he was an android; then became addicted to a FRUIT! Found the love of his Life (Lass) who ditched him for Vi (sort of); eventually turned into Furball!

Was also the victim of a really bad limited series.

BTW, I have never understood the dictum of TPTB that states that all solo Legionnaire series must be set in the 20th century...

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
How about:

Invisible Kid: crushed in a meaningless death because he supposedly had a weak or ineffectual power.

Matter-Eater Lad: turned into a morbidly obease reservist, drafted into politics, called back to eat an indestructable machine that Superboy could not put a dent in but supposedly he could chew through, dirven insane, turned into comic relief, and now seemingly misplaced somewhere

Bouncing Boy: lost his power, regained his power, lost his power, regained his power, lost his power, regained his power, lost his power, regained his power, lost his power, regained his power, now never had a power.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

And how's this for cannon fodder:

Reflecto, Quantum Queen, Shadow Woman, Power Boy, and Galaxay: all dead before their first appearances

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
One has to wonder why they established the maximum membership of 25. Seems like they really needed a legion of characters to kill or maimn or abuse somehow!

[Cool]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
How about:

Invisible Kid: crushed in a meaningless death because he supposedly had a weak or ineffectual power.

[Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

That was the reason? I'd never heard that before.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.