Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Television Trouble Finder » NYC in November (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: NYC in November
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
hey everyone, I need some advice and suggestions.
I am heading to NYC for the first time in November. What should I do? I'll be there for a week. Probably the first week of November.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and helpful.

Thanks!

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Go to Boston instead. [Wink]

Do touristy stuff. I'll leave it to the native New Yorkers here to be more specific.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll have some suggestions for you Vu at the end of this week [Big Grin]

I'm short on time today and tomorrow and want to give you the proper response (I go to NYC quite often, its less than an hour away from me).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Cobie. Can't wait to see what you have in store.

Anyone have a connection to DC so maybe I could take a tour of the offices and stuff? That would make the whole trip worth it!

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a great site for suggestions.
Also, come have dinner on me at the restaurant I work in:
CHARLOTTE'S
44th & B'way
(next to Toys'R'Us in Times Square)
I work Tues thru Sat,5pm-10pm.
The Museum of Television & Radio is really cool as is the Natural History museum with it's Rose Space Center.
The leaves will be turning in Nov.,so a stroll thru Central Park is a must!
Call me for more info if ya like. My cell # is below.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
OOPSY! I almost forgot to mention the Circle Line!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
rtvu2, I suggest eating lunch one day at the Boathouse in Central Park. It's a bit pricey and I would recommend dressing up a bit but it's fun. Then you can go to the Polo store down the street. It's the biggest Polo store ever...the HQ! It's an old mansion I believe.

Shopping on Soho and people watching in Greenwich village I suggest as well. Restaurants? I have a bunch to recommend. Depends where you are staying and how you want to roll. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Some (but not all--I hope to continually update this for you Vu) of my suggestions:

Tao - great, great bar in midtown Manhattan where lots of beautiful people are, but not too over the top. Its what I'd call a great place to start the night when you're going out in style.

Sushi Samba - 7th Ave. & Bleeker St. (Greenwich Village), one of my favorite places. Awesome atmosphere, tons of gorgeous and trendy people, great food if you're hungry (and like Sushi), and if you're lucky, the rooftop bar will still be open. Great place.

The Plunge, Gansovort Hotel - (may have spelled that wrong). This is a rooftop bar at the top of the Gansovort in the Meat Packing District. The MPDistrict has been up and coming for about the last four years or so (longer?) and is definately in full swing and peaking now. You can go down there and see hundreds and hundreds of people, but here is one of the best places to pop in. Its outside, but if its cold, they'll close it off and it has an amazing view. Lots of cool people up there. I'd reccomend going there later in the night around Midnight - 3:00 AM or so.

I've got some other great places to roll, and I'll post them in the next few weeks. If you're out and want a change of scenary (as I often do), you can hit the more pub type bars or chill spots virtually anywhere. Here's a couple depending on where you are:

- O'Lunney's - in Midtown, its easy because its basically right off Times Square and like 48th st. or something (around there). Rhino probably knows where it is. There's nothing that makes it stand out over the other Irish pubs, but its larger and gets a larger crowd in the wee hours at night.

- Coyote Ugly - in the East Village, mainly its cool if you want to see one of these coyote bars. What I like about the NYC Coyote Ugly is that its in the East Village and has a really 'grindhouse' feel to it that I enjoy.

These are some bar suggestions but I have some great suggestions for other things to do in NYC and will post those too! Definately have some reccomendations for pizza, steakhouses, shops, sections to visit, actual things to do, etc. I'm so close that I visit a good amount, but far enough away that I'm not in NYC everyday and therefore aren't 'used to it' all the time.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - Vu, my image of you coming to NYC makes me think of me and my buddies, so I had to get the cool bars out there first [Wink]

(I have more of them too and will post them also [Big Grin] )

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Follow-up #1-

Vu, FYI, Tao is on East 58th St. The Plunge is on 9th Avenue at 13st St. Coyote Ugly is on 1st Avenue b/t 9th St and 10th St.

Best Italian Restaurants in NYC
I can recommend two that I think are superb. First, if you're looking for the traditional Italian restaurant in Little Italy, than IMO the best restaurant is 'Angelo's', which is on Mulberry St right in Little Italy. It is without a doubt the best Italian in terms of food, and has both the best red sauce I've ever had and 'the best veal in the city' no doubt. No worries about reservations because Angelo's famously does not honor them.

Second, there is a restaurant called 'Cipriani' on West Broadway at Broome St. The food here is also excellent (not quite as good as Angelo's) but the atmosphere is the real draw here. Very trendy, lots of gorgeous people. You get a lot of the fashion industry here, including many models. When I ate there one time, Penelope Cruz was right by our table. You'll need reservations.

Best Steakhouses
Others may have different opinions, but I can give you my best two in Manhattan. First is Sparks, which is famous enough, in Midtown (just about any cabby will know of it). Best steaks you'll ever find, great atmosphere, large (very large) portions. I recommend the aspargus salad to start. The only thing is its crazy-expensive there, and you need to make reservations weeks in advance. Around $100 per person to eat there.

Second is Del Frisco's, which also have phenominal food, and an equally great atmosphere, perhaps better because its right in the middle of midtown with a great view around 6th Avenue (at 48th St). Also very expensive, also probably need reservations.

Great view of the City
Vu, I'm sure you've heard of Rockefeller Center and have thought about going there. I reccomend doing so, its pretty cool, and probably will be all done up in November. But while you're there, you can check out all the NBC shows that are filmed there, and maybe catch a glimpse of the many SNL cast members that are always walking around. But by far the coolest thing to do there is go to the very top floor to 'The Rainbow Room', which is a bar on the top floor with one of the best views of the city. You can see the very tip of Manhattan, and you feel on level with the Empire State Building. Definatel a cool place.

There's also this great little wine bar down the street, though I can't remember the name or address of it, only that I took Lady Cobalt there once.

Pizza
I already covered this once here.

Just to recap:

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf El:
Coming across to NY next month - can anyone recommend a great place to get pizza?

Lombardi’s Pizza
32 Spring Street (at Mulberry)
212-941-7994

The first pizzeria in New York, established 1905. You’ll know when your there when you see the line out the door. They have the second best pizzeria in New York.

The first goes to Grimaldi’s, 19 Old Fulton St, which is in the Dumbo section of New York (under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side). Around the corner is the original Jacques Torres Chocolate, a famous chocolate shop.

If anyone is curious, part of my job is to show people a good time in NYC and other cities in the US. So NYC pizza is something we do sometimes.
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost of Numf-El:
Coming across to NY next month - can anyone recommend a great place to get pizza?

John's Pizza, on Bleecker Street in the Village.
Count me in on giving this an extremely high reccomendation. You can't go wrong here! Also, its in a really awesome area of NYC.

Also, John's Pizza has the best meatball subs I've ever had in my life.

Hm. I'll have more things to reccommend as I remember them. I always remember all the bars and food first [Big Grin]
rtvu2
here we go again....

Thanks Cobie, Rhino and Jorge.

Very helpful suggestions. Two week countdown!

rtvu2
here we go again....

Here I am in NYC. Just did a walking tour of Times, I will go back to explore more. I think I will head to Rockefeller tomorrow too...
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Remember to check out the restaurant on top! (Rainbow Room or something like that). Great view!

Have fun Vu!

rtvu2
here we go again....

Hey everyone! I can't get into DC Comics! Can someone help me! I just want to take a picture in the lobby or something.

Thanks!

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I can't help you get into the DC Comics lobby. But have fun on your trip to the Big Apple.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.