Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Violet: Questions, wishes, thoughts (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Violet: Questions, wishes, thoughts
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The current Violet (and I can not call her LeVIathen) - picking up since THe Legion #1 - strikes me as affable, competent, maybe a bit laid-back, confident. I'm reaching here, because she has had so little panel time. If a legionnaire ever needed some focus at this point, it's Violet.

How does she feel about Kinetix now? They were great friends, and now Kinetix is zoned out. Is Violet confused, sad, accepting? Is she trying to talk to Zoe? Ignoring the whole situation?

Does she have a crush on somebody? Does someone have a crush on her?

Does she have a circle of friends? Is she close to Kid Q? When the lost team returned, she was greeting Jazmin; the other (logical) groupings were Invisible Kid/Brainy, Cos/Saturn Girl/U-Boy, WIldfire/Shikari. If they were/are friends, does Jazmin just not have much time for Vi now that she's leader?

There could be a reason why she avoids shrinking lately. What is it? Is she aware of this, or is it buried in her subconscious?

Do the other legionnaires listen to her? Is she taken for granted? Is she fed up with being the nice girl?

I don't think there's any going back to Shy Vi. It would be pretty inconceivable, unless something awful happened to sap her confidence.

Violet as a character progressed nicely pre-boot. She became assertive with a chip-on-her- shoulder after she was abducted. Like Sensor, the character change made sense to me given the situation. I liked how she had mellowed in the 5YL stories: she valued her friends, she had a good relationship with Ayla, she was physically and mentally tough but still open to emotional pain and she had lost the chip on the shoulder; she made up with Yera. The counterpoint with the SW6 shy Vi was touching. Don't you wish you could talk to your younger self?

I don't like big Vi, or just big Vi. She only seems to have strength as her advantage - which many other legionnaires have. Shrinking afforded many possibilities which weren't covered by the others' powers.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll be honest with you, Cramer... I don't really know who Vi is anymore. And that makes me sad, because she is truly one of my favorites (she was #2 on my top 25 list.) It's not so much that DnA have forgotten her history with the team, and her personality... they've just forgotten her. I would very much like to see her in the spotlight, and soon. There are a wealth of things and storylines she would be great in. I really want to be given the chance to get to know her again.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
i'd really like to see VIOLET return to using her shrinking powers !!
From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Man From Cargg
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Man From Cargg   Email The Man From Cargg         Edit/Delete Post     
The current Vi seems to be a victim of inverse proportions. The bigger the gal the smaller the personality and vice-versa.

I would have the character open up to one of her friends (a restored Zoe?) about her guilt over Gim's death and the subsequent attainment of his powers. She could reveal that she had been over-using the growth power as a personal tribute to Gim. But is now feeling overwhelmed by a sense of loss and sadness and wishes to relinquish herself of these powers. The feelings of guilt everytime she uses them is just too powerful. This is why she has been so quiet of late. With Zoe's and Brainy's help she manages to transfer her growth powers to Chuck. They don't work the same with his body chemistry and a new Bouncing Boy is born.

[ July 19, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: The Man From Cargg ]

--------------------
The poster formerly known as Carggaphile.

From: Hamilton | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Lots of great questions, Fats. I only wish DnA would consider them. [Frown]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
As a shy man, I think that shyness is something that is never fully eliminated from one's personality. So, Salu's 'shy Vi' persona could return (but not as a central characterisitic) in different situations at any time and be a believable bit of characterization.

It's pretty obvious that she's been overcompensating in a dramatic and visual way for quite a while.

I really want to see more of 'spy Vi', too. With all the trappings.

As for romance-- I'd like to her and Ferro spend some time together. Especially if he's (re)acquired some of that old daredevil spunk he once had.

TN [Invisible Kid]

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by The Man From Cargg:
The current Vi seems to be a victim of inverse proportions. The bigger the gal the smaller the personality and vice-versa.

Oh no! She's acquired Gim's curse as well as his powers!!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Wait! I thought Gim's curse was "the bigger the guy, the smaller the..."

Oh, wait. Wrong thread.

Sorry.

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
Wait! I thought Gim's curse was "the bigger the guy, the smaller the..."

So that's why he wanted to date Shrinking Violet! [Colossal Boy]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally,

I think an Espionage Squad story is in order. Niolet could use her long absemt shrinking abilities as well as take the spotlight for awhile.

She is due.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

While I love the concept of the espionage squad, I like it more when its used as *part* of the main storyline and especially when the readers aren't even fully aware of what they're up to until they reveal themselves. It's kinda like "Punk'd" -- they'd do their thing behind the scenes and then reveal themselves at the critical moment -- "you've been punk'd by the Legion Espionage Squad Sucker!!"
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:

It's not so much that DnA have forgotten her history with the team, and her personality... they've just forgotten her.

On the surface I could buy that, but DnA just are not theat sloppy. They could have found some small (pun) excuse to need her in micro form, but they have intentionally shown her ONLY big, even when just sitting around (wonder if there's bathrrom facilities..back to topic).

This is not being forgotten, it is plot point I think.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ah, my favorite topic. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
The current Violet (and I can not call her LeVIathen) - picking up since THe Legion #1 - strikes me as affable, competent, maybe a bit laid-back, confident. I'm reaching here, because she has had so little panel time. If a legionnaire ever needed some focus at this point, it's Violet.

And then some, but DNA have promised it's coming up.

quote:

How does she feel about Kinetix now? They were great friends, and now Kinetix is zoned out. Is Violet confused, sad, accepting? Is she trying to talk to Zoe? Ignoring the whole situation?

I really want to know about this, too. I can't really believe she'd be intentionally avoiding Zoe, but it might be very uncomfortable for her. I'd also like to know what Zoe feels about it. The last time Zoe got zoned out, it was very akward for Vi, but Zoe herself wasn't aware of it. This time Zoe seems more aware of what's going on.

quote:

Does she have a crush on somebody? Does someone have a crush on her?

As I think I've mentioned once or twice I'd really like to see a relationship between Vi and Brin. Maybe not a romance, but something serious.

On the surface they appear so different:

introvert/extrovert
cautious/instinctive
calm/volitile
flora/fauna [Smile]

But they've got some important traits in common. They're both fighters, they both senstive, and, I think, they both have a real need to belong to something. I think interaction between them could be quite interesting.

quote:

Does she have a circle of friends? Is she close to Kid Q? When the lost team returned, she was greeting Jazmin; the other (logical) groupings were Invisible Kid/Brainy, Cos/Saturn Girl/U-Boy, WIldfire/Shikari. If they were/are friends, does Jazmin just not have much time for Vi now that she's leader?

Funny, I've been thinking about Vi and Kid Q's relationship, too, but from a completely different angle. It occured to me that Jaz joined the team at the end of the "Emerald Vi" storyline. That may be on her mind and after what happened to Jan, she may not quite trust Vi as much as the other Legionnaires, and may be why Vi doesn't seem to get as many missions as some of the others.

Of course, I'm really just making excuses for DnA here. [Smile]

quote:

There could be a reason why she avoids shrinking lately. What is it? Is she aware of this, or is it buried in her subconscious?

I certainly hope there's a reason for it. [Mad] It could be coming from her guilt over Gim's death. A way to constantly remind herself of the mistakes she's made. I really wish she'd go back to mainly shrinking, though.

quote:

Do the other legionnaires listen to her? Is she taken for granted? Is she fed up with being the nice girl?

Being fed up with being ignored is part of what led her to the Emerald Eye. I wonder if she'd allow herself to be upset about being ignored after that?

As for how other's treat her, I expect depends on the chracters in question and how well they know her. I would think that the espionage squad (including Cos and Chuck) have probably worked with her enough to know how observent she is and that her opinions are worth listening to. Other characters who haven't worked with her very much might be more likely to ignore her.

quote:

I don't think there's any going back to Shy Vi. It would be pretty inconceivable, unless something awful happened to sap her confidence.

I'm not sure where you got the idea she was less shy. In the early issues of Legion she's still shown as being fairly timid, partly by her language and partly from Coipel's art. She may not be as shy as when she first joined up. but it's still there.

Lately, though, Coipel hasn't been around to capture her body language so perfectly, and she's had very little to do outside of the occasional fight scene, which is where Vi is most comfortable. (Quote (or at least paraphrase): Some people read to relax; I like to hit things.)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
There was a nice scene with Vi and RJ as Robotica was attacking Earth; she was asking him, shouldn't you be on the command deck?

It was a bit reminiscent of SW6 Violet approaching a brooding Valor after he was criticized for not doing enough to fight the Dominators.

To me it illustrates that she is concerned for everyone, especially those who are forgotten or ignored in the rush of Legion activity, perhaps from her own sense of being ignored. Recall also how she was the only one at the funeral who wondered if anyone missed Andromeda. The more I think about her, the more I like her.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Um, which funeral?

Vi's very likable, when she's not being possesed by mystical objects or being reduced to the role of extra.

BTW Cramer, I really love your signature.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.