Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Harvard.com (serious)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Harvard.com (serious)
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I know I could make a lot of jokes about Harvard, but Minesurfer's comment that this here isn't Harvard.com got me thinking about the Legionnaires and higher education.

It's certainly unclear how schooling works in the 31st c. - and on a multitude of planets. But who do you think would be the most educated - or likely to pursue further education?

There was some discussion of Cosmic Boy and academia - so I'll accept that he could be a bit scholarly.

Brainiac 5 - self-educated.
Invisible Kid - didin't he already get a chemistry degree? Anyways, I have him pegged for the first Legionnaire with a PhD.
Others: Triad, Chameleon, Gates, Saturn Girl.

Not the warriors (Timber Wolf, U-Boy, Umbra, Wildfire)

Apparition - no, but lately I don't like her and think she's acting like a bubblehead. So I'm prejudiced.

Maybe Kid Q, Ferro and Violet. Karate Kid - another maybe, but it would be something esoteric.

Shikari, Sensor - don't know; I'd say no.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it might depend on what you would term higher education. Sensor, for instance, would probably have had some your of specialized education in such regal things as diplomacy and government, finance and probably language. M'onel more than likely learned quite alot from his 1,000 years of watching.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
It's hard for me to say that this guy is more educated than that gal (or whatever). Alot of life is really about education, and eduacation is really about experience so education can take many forms. Having been through many institutes in my life (team sports, college, military, professional and non-professional work environments, family, and such) I have run across alot of people with varying educations. Some formal, some not so formal.

Let's just say that there are situations when I think Ultra Boy or Timber Wolf are more educated than Brainiac 5. See Brainy's first (I believe)encounter with The Persuader in the reboot for an example.

[ July 19, 2003, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: minesurfer ]

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
No reflection on intelligence when I wrote of "higher education" - I was thinking more of institutionalized book learning, or whatever form it may hold 1000 years ago. It may take a particular type of character to be interested in following that path - just an exploration of how I and others might see different legionnaires in a particular context.

Some of the most mindwashed, brain-numbed people are products of the Ivy League. No names mentioned.

And... I put the (serious) in the title because Harvard.com was initially mentioned as a bit of a joke, I thought - and I didn't want people to think that I was goofing around on this one.
Enough explanations. Remove foot.

[ July 19, 2003, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Fat Cramer ]

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
FC, I tell you...

I am thinking of changing my name to Fat Minesurfer just because I find myself agreeing with you alot. Even if I don't know the meanings of some of the words you are using.

I'll see what I can do about degenerating this conversation later though. [Colossal Boy]

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Preboot, it was stated in the Legion Constitution that all Legionnaires had to continue their education, though it wasn't specified whether this meant high school, college or beyond.

I've always likened the Legion to an institution on par with military academies. At some point, I imagined, all Legionnaires would earn the equivalent of a bachelor's degree. Some might go in for specialized training or higher degrees. Obviously, they would learn at different paces. Brainy would have completed his bachelor's degree in 15 minutes. Others may take the standard four years or longer.

I agree that higher education does not necessarily equate with intelligence, and many people do just fine with "people smarts" or "the school of hard knocks," etc. But, for a professional organization such as the Legion, with wide-ranging responsibilites that put them in contact with a wildy different cultures, I would think some form of continuing education is preferred, if not mandatory.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Fat Cramer: "..maybe Ferro..."

I seriously doubt it. The boy was raised in a lab and lived on the streets before he hooked up with the Legion. I have no idea where he took up sewing (maybe with the homeless folks he lived with? It'd be a necessary skill for them), but I don't think he got the proper education in that prison he grew up in.

I know that pre-boot, WILDFIRE was in university for astro-engineering before his accident.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

All of them are open for reconsideration - maybe Brainy could go to art college, ifhe could get his ego out of the way.

Interesting bit about Wildfire which I didn't know or remember - so there's some foundation for him to continue. I was thinking that I really typecast Jo and Brin, but I think the writers have as well. Typical gang members. I'd like to be surprised in the future. DnA also put Wildfire in Jo's gang in Imra's diner dream - because he's a rough talking fighter? . Certainly all the legionnaires strike me as being above average intelligence.

Ferro sort of reminds me of a friend of mine who dropped out of high school, became a locally successful poet yet always felt inferior or incomplete because he didn't have the "credentials". He went back to school in his 30s and now has a PhD in literature. It's probably ruined his poetry - but he's happy to have done it. Ferro's insecurities could drive him to get the sheepskin just to show he could - maybe he's changed on Steeple and lost some of the inferior feelings.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.