Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » How should the preboot have ended?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How should the preboot have ended?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Overall, I was pretty happy with how "End of an Era", well, ENDed the old continuity---you know, other than the fact that all that continuity was wiped out! [Wink] Generally, it seeed to wrap up things as best as it could under the circumstances.

But there was CERTAINLY room for improvement! For one thing, I would have preferred more of a "happily ever after" over a "...and they faded out of existence" for an ending. I really love Alan Moore's ending, for example, to pre-"Man of Steel" Superman continuity, "Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?" Something like that would've been more to my liking.

How would you have ended it? For the sake of argument, let's say that you don't necessarily have to provide an ending at the point it happened, but you can if you want to. So if you're not a fan of TMK/Adult Legion, let's say that Levitz's run went on a few years longer, and the decision to reboot was still made. In any case we'll surmise that the reboot was unavoidable.

So how would you have ended it?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe instead of having them fade out of existence, they could've all been transported back into the past as their youthful selves to relive their glory days -- they'd be caught in a closed time loop, so in effect their story will have ended, but they'd actually be starting over and live eternally as the young versions of themselves all together defending the UP over and over ...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well...guess no one really had an opinion on this one....

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Not fond of that Eternal Recurrence idea, myself. As Woody Allen said once, "That means I'd have to see the Ice Capades again!"

The fade-to-white ending probably was one of the few reasonable scenarios, given the mess that had been made by the Bierbaums. The then-current creators, though, had already tried and succeeded in clearing up much of the confusion ... or so contends Don Sakers in detail, about "LSH" v4 n53, an issue I haven't read.

If more time was needed to expand on that effort at resolution, I'd have given it. A year, two years, whatever. Unfortunately, as Sakers says, relaunch fever was running rampant at DC.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm glad this thread has reappeared. I meant to think about it, and got distracted - what an airhead. Have to write it on my hand or something for today.

Offhand, I don't have anything worked out but I'm leaning to a Deus ex machina resolution with a Controller and the Miracle Machine. Another miracle machine. It's a cheap and easy way out, though - I'd prefer something a lit less hastily resolved. Later!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the preboot should have ended sometime far in the future, or, if possible, not at all.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
My self-serving resolution, with a few leaps of faith required:

TIme starts to go awry as Glorith and Mordru combine their powers.

Rokk is caught in the Eternal Library where he meets the Time Trapper - the Trapper knows all that is happening with the Legionnaires, Glorith and Mordru.

The two Nuras, Queen Projectra and Mysa (I just put the last two at the scene) begin to work up a spell to drain the power of Glorith and Mordru, in an attempt to stabilize time.

As the spell progresses, a Controller appears within the sacred circle of the spell and silently points to a Miracle Machine, which has materialized outside the circle. Then the Controller disappears, sent and recalled by the Time Trapper (unknown to the Legionnaires).

The two Brainys make a dash for the Machine, but are restrained by Valor & Mon-el (who didn't join Tasmia in death/disappearance). They caution Brainy to think about what he may be about to do.

The spell progresses - Rokk appears with the Time Trapper, who is some entity that Reep (our Reep) can explain. Rokk is obviously fully restored to mental health. The Trapper makes some speech to explain the situation. The spell was containing Glorith & Mordru's power, but the Trapper has broken it. Time is stabilized. Everyone who is alive at this point stays alive. And all are restored to their "normal" ages.

Glorith and Mordru, now devoid of powers, are taken for transportation to Takron-Galtos. (They will get a trial, I'm a big believer in fair hearing.) But they're not dead, so they're available for a comeback.

The young team and the adults will go their separate ways, into two books. One for the grim & gritty set, and one for the "original Legion" fans. (The Bierbaums are rehired by DC and get to work repairing the Bounty/Dawnstar saga. Tasmia is still dead, so....)

And the Miracle Machine? While Trapper was making his speech, the elder Brainiac 5 took it and wished Laurel Gand back into existence. He gives her the cold shoulder, but turns away smiling.

Everybody happy. The beginning.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
Not fond of that Eternal Recurrence idea, myself. As Woody Allen said once, "That means I'd have to see the Ice Capades again!"

The fade-to-white ending probably was one of the few reasonable scenarios, given the mess that had been made by the Bierbaums. The then-current creators, though, had already tried and succeeded in clearing up much of the confusion ... or so contends Don Sakers in detail, about "LSH" v4 n53, an issue I haven't read.

If more time was needed to expand on that effort at resolution, I'd have given it. A year, two years, whatever. Unfortunately, as Sakers says, relaunch fever was running rampant at DC.

Here's the Help File's summary of that issue:

quote:
Plot Synopsis: On the planet Baaldur, in the middle of a fight between the Legion of Super-Heroes and Glorith, she attacks Devlin O'Ryan, whose reflective powers, acting on her time-displacement abilities, create an odd reaction in her. On Talus, in Legion headquarters, Jacques Foccart is informed by United Planets ambassador Anton Relnic that there is evidence that the Legion has been fighting alongside th Khunds against the U. P. and that they will be arrested for this. Elsewhere in headquarters, Rond Vidar sees something odd and alarming through use of his recently-rebuilt time beacon and rushes to use a time bubble to resolve the problem he sees. On Baaldur, an entity inside Glorith awakens retroactively at the time the Legion is breaking into Glorith's palace. The entity relates to Glorith his perspective regarding the history that he and she had shared. As he watches Glorith respond to the Legion's attacks by bringing time-displaced beings to fight them, he tells Glorith about how the Legion, in its earliest days, had traveled to a Pocket Universe he had created, weakening its fabric. As he sees Glorith catch on to the fact that the Legion's direct attack on her is a diversion and that the true threat is elsewhere and sees Glorith leave the palace to deal with it, he tells Glorith of how he enlisted the aid of Glorith and enhanced her powers in order to destroy the Legion and end their travel to his pocket universe. As he watches Glorith attack three Legionnaires seeking to place a machine into the core of the planet, youthening Mysa Nal and revealing to Jo Nah that his loss of his fiancee Tinya Wazzo was her doing, he reminds her of her failure to kill the Legionnaires, allowing them to eventually defeat her, leading him to punish her by reducing her to protoplasm, after which she eventually remade herself and returned to Baaldur, plotting revenge. As he watches Glorith attack three Legionnaires in the air above Baaldur who were operating another machine and waiting for a signal from the group that Glorith already attacked, aging Celeste Rockfish to apparent death, he tells Glorith of how the Legionnaires discovered the nature of the pocket universe in an adventure which ended in the death of Superboy, and how the Earth of the pocket universe was eventually devastated. As he watches Glorith return to her palace to fight the Legionnaires there, youthening Kent Shakespeare to childhood, he reminds her of the war she set in motion for control of time and of her destruction of Daxam, and tells her of his creation of an army of young Legionnaires which he placed in stasis and hid on Earth, in the Time Institute. As he nots Glorith's awareness of the two groups of Legionnaires outside the palace converging on the palace, and Glorith's aging Brainiac 5, the entity reminds Glorith of her absorption of the Time Trapper
and her retroactively taking his place in history and tells her of the discovery of his secret army on Earth by the Dominators. As he sees the Legionnaires who had been outside the palace join the fray inside the palace, the entity tells her of how the young Legionnaires had freed themselves and how they sent their Valor back in time, a journey from which he never returned, and reminds her of her recent killing of Valor in the past when he was younger, creating a paradox which fractured time and allowed him to return to activity (which, unknown to this entity, was a result of Glorith's power being reflected back at her by Devlin O'Ryan). As he sees her attack and youthen Ayla Ranzz and then attacks Devlin O'Ryan, he reaches the point in time at which he can allow himself to become active without paradox (as he had not been present outside of Glorith until her attack on Devlin), he seizes the opportunity and takes his power back from Glorith, revealing to her that he is the Time Trapper, then disappearing to form his own plans and forcing Glorith to disappear in order to plan her defense from him. After Glorith disappears, the Legionnaires take stock of all that has happened during the fight. On Weber's World, the United Planets council accuses the Legion of complicity with the Khunds, and the majority of diplomats calls for their arrest.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I would have liked to seen a massive "final battle" in which the Legion put an end to the Time Trapper, Mordru, Glorith, and the other major reality-warping threats once and for all. Then I would like to have seen something that sort of flash-forwards to the future, showing various groups of heroes inspired by the Legion, who take over from the Legionnaires, now retired. Maybe it could end with several surviving Legionnaires, now very old, meeting and talking about all they accomplished.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.