Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The FIve Axioms of Legion Writing

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The FIve Axioms of Legion Writing
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, whatever...

1. A superhero is never dead, even if there is a corpse.

2. The sillier the character, the more devoted the fanbase.

3. When the story arc bogs down, kill everybody.

4. ?

5. ?

Hey, it's early - I can't think yet.

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
2A. Ain't nobody so obscure that somebody don't love 'em.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I think people are scared of the word axiom. That's gonna be my new supervillain!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
I know you were being a bit facetious, FC, or at least it looks that way ... but, well, y'know me, I have to fan the sparks someone starts, anyway. Or at least a little bit.

Writing is an inductive effort, marshalling one's spirit and one's past reading and experiences. It's not built on deduction or axioms ... or, at least, it shouldn't be.

You can pull general habits or frequent tactics from comics storylines. Your first item above, I'd say, is the closest to a general truth, in superheroic stories generally, not just the LSH. Yet I don't see anyone following principles, really.

The closest approach to generating them is when a writer spends enough years on a title to shape every corner of its universe. And someone is unlikely to devote such attention to the task unless he or she operates from some principles, even if they're rarely admitted.

Shooter and Levitz managed it for the LSH. DnA are approaching their longevity and scope. Anyone else has been more fleeting, plugged into an on-going enterprise. Or, like the Bierbaums, has caused so much strife and controversy that any impact ends up being diluted.

[ July 27, 2003, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I think people are scared of the word axiom. That's gonna be my new supervillain!

The Persuader's Atomic Axiom.

Philosophical plutonium?

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
I know you were being a bit facetious, FC, or at least it looks that way ... but, well, y'know me, I have to fan the sparks someone starts, anyway. Or at least a little bit.

A bit facetious? That's kind! Actually, I was amazed I didn't get laughed out of Dodge with my axioms of consciousness, which was serious but just thrown out as a brain-storming thread. And if I were you, I'd be very careful about mentioning "fanning" on a board frequented by MLLash....

I'm not saying DnA or other Legion writers are writing to a rule book, or a formula (as I've heard Harlequin romances are done: such and such happens by page 5, etc.). Yet I do feel that there are a limited number of plots in superhero comics and we see variations of these come up again and again, throughout DC and Marvel. There may be a limited number of plots in life itself....

I first started to think of the "Rules of Comics" when we were discussing Garth's death (and possible return) on the old DCMBs and, while I haven't sat down to work them out, I suspect there are a number of rules or themes which are fairly consistent throughout superhero comics - as there are in any body of literature. Maybe not consciously applied - as they would have been with the Comics Code - but underlying the stories nonetheless.

That being said, and at great length, this was meant as more of a joke thread (hence the "axioms"). And get those sparks flying all you will.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

How many times do I gotta axiom?
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Axiologically speaking, if it's a space-axiom, the decision is yours.

If it's an Earth-bound axiom, twice should do it.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.