Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » What's your Legion-reading roadmap? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: What's your Legion-reading roadmap?
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
I also read my aunt's collection of Legion issues ranging from the Adventure era to the second Levitz run and the TMK era, and much of the early reboot too.

Is your aunt still a fan? Maybe she should join us here at Legion World! [Smile]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
my Legion road map started in the late 70's. i was about 6 or 7my grandmother and her sister had just returned from their weekly venture to a few garage sales in hartsdale or scarsdale n.y. and to my suprise the came back with 4 paper grocery bags full of comics and among them were a lot of the Grell era SB/LSH comics. the one's that spring to mind were:
~the Legion's fight against the Legion of Super-Rejects.
~the issue featuring the ghost of Ferro lad & Invisible Kid.
~the issue were Superboy saves Ultra boy & Lana Lang from being exocuted by a Legion firing squad.
~the 1st apperance of Grimbor.
from then i knew i liked this book but was not hooked yet.
then later on i was trading comics with a friend and i traded a Marshall & Austin era detective comics for the Legion of Super-Heroes comic that was a reprint of the Computo saga. that was my intro to the adventure comics era team.
then i knew that i was hooked. now when i was little it was a hassle to get my grandparents to take me to the store (as far as i knew back then there were no such places as comic book shops.):sad: so i would have to beg and plead with them to take me to the local news stand so my next few LSH issues were spotty. but the one's that come to mind were:
~ the issue where B-5 was cured of his "insanity"
~the issue featuring the Psyco-pirate.
~the issue titled "will the last one leaving the planet please turn of off the lights."
and a few others which i can't remember right now but it wasn't untill the issue when Superboy finally left the Legion for good and the title changed to the Legion of Super Heroes that i was able to collect every issue on a regular basis, and since then i havent stopped.
the GDS and the Levitz/giffen pre baxter issues made me love the legion so much more. then came the baxter series, the LSH/LSV war the death of K.K., the founders leaving group the addition of non-humaniod members, Polarboy moving up to the "big leagues" the who is Sensor girl mystery. the Universo project, the death of Superboy and on through to the series finalie with the Magic wars. i still think the baxter series is great reading.
now the 5yr gap /TMK era group was a little,.. no a lot different because it seemed to me that they took the Shooter era "Adult Legion ers" idea and took a hard left turn with it and kept on running
IMO it had some good points but it wasn't a fan favorite. so i won't go on.
now the re-boot era Legion so far i've loved what's been put out by the various creative teams except for the Dark Circle Rising story arch, that still leaves my scratching my head. [Confused]
which brings me to today
so from a little child of the 70's through my teen years of the 80's to young adulthood of the 90's through today the Legion is the one title that my fanatisism for has never wavered.
unlike other long running titles over last 20 or so years if i didn't like the direction the book was going or the creative team i'd drop the book
so you see my Legion-reading road map is long and winding indeed but i've enjoyed every turn ,bend and curve along the way.

*** OH MAN and i forgot about the Adventure Comics mini digest that DC put out during the late 80's that was how i got further exposure to the adventure and action comic era stories from the 60's. stupid..,stupid,....stupid, i'm sooooooo stuuuupid!!!! [Confused]

[ July 27, 2004, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN ]

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I like this thread also [Big Grin]

My Legion experience:

-I notice that Keith Giffen, my favorite comic book writer is writing the Legion (TMK). My Dad tells me it's excellent, but I'm a bit too young for it right then (at age 10).

-Years later, I pick up one of the earliest issues of the reboot (on the Prison Planet with goggles), and like it so much, that I go back and read all the reboot issues since Zero Hour.

-Then, I remember that the Legionnaires were once older, since I remember the Giffen series, and seeing them in Crisis and Zero Hour.

-Luckily, my Dad's collection was almost complete even then. I began with the Adventure stories and decided to read them strait through until Zero Hour. I started with Adventure #300.

-Through the Adventure era, although there were holes early on. By Shooter we had every issue, and I really got into it then. The fact that it was confusing (knowing the reboot) only made it even more interesting and fun.

-Flash forward: we own NONE of the Superboy and the Legion issues. Suddenly, I come back in at the Legion #304. What the hell happened? Blok? Dawnstar? Wildfire?

-Read the Levitz issues, loved them. Bought the Great Darkness TPB. Loved it. By now, Legion had become my favorite comic. Before finishing the Levitz run, I got my Dad to buy almost all of the Superboy and the Legion run, and then went back and reread those. We were missing some of the later Baxter run (I never read Magic Wars until a few months ago), but that was alright.

-We had the entire TMK run, and having just read close to every Legion story in the last month, I read that whole run in a few days, and was BLOWN away by it.

-Then, just for kicks, I decided to reread the entire run the next summer in chronological order. Anything that didn't make sense did then. Afterwards, it was almost sad knowing that I had connected all the dots and made sense out of those stories.

-I then got the Archives #1 and #2 to read the stories that I never had and will take me awhile to get.

-And now it's been up to me to complete the collection with...gasp!...my own money! (And Pov's generosity a few months back [Big Grin] ).

Great thread Teeds!

[ July 27, 2004, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
So Cobie, what are you still missing. It seems like you've mentioned just about everything.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm missing all the Legion appearances before Adventure #300 with the exceptions of #293 and the first appearance of Ultra Boy (Superboy #89). Besides those, I think I'm missing three issues of Superboy and the Legion, and a few more of the Adventure era (two or three from #301-310, and then one more before Shooter).

I had planned to go crazy on Ebay, but then thought better of it. I think I should get a reliable source of income before that [Wink] . Adventure #247 will be my crowning achievement I think (although now I suddenly crave Superman #141 also).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
1977: I read DC Super-Stars #17. 1st appearance of the Huntress (the REAL Huntress, Earth-2 Batman's daughter), A Grell Green Arrow origin, and a Legion origin. LOVE Huntress, and follow her into Bat-books and JSA; LIKE GA, start following GL/GA; lukewarm on Legion. go figure. even today, I'm not wild about that one.

1978: Read S/LSH #236. LOVE it. part of the fun is trying to follow all these characters. Art (Sherman) is pretty damn cool, too. Unfortunately, mom has a lot of say over what comics 10-year-old me can read, and she vetoes Legion. Meanwhile Hal Jordan and JSA are my favorites at this point.

1979: Winning a little ground on Legion. Allowed to pick up a few in the late #240s, and early #250s. Unfortunately, there not as good as #236 was. The Conway era has begun. When Superboy leaves, mom says 'that's it.' I don't argue; its not the Legion I was enchanted with.

1980/81: What a difference a year makes! I have more say over what I buy, and the Secrets mini makes a good excuse to rejoin Legion. Janes, not wild about. Ditko, loved his Starman, Odd Man and Creeper. Blok? I remember when he was a villain. Ulta Boy dead? not dead? dead again? I think I'll stick around.

1981: Make friends with Mike, the only other Legion fan I knew back then. Read his collection, which includes stories I hadn't read before: the Infinite Man, the Composite Legionaire, and that machine that zaps Superboy's memory. Around this same time, DC digests begin, and I get a taste of Silver. At the time, me, a defensive DC fan among serious, cool, macho Marvel zombies, I was ashamed at how corny they seemed, compared to X-Men and Daredevil. Luckily, I love em now, corny or not.

1982-84: Love Legion, love Levitz/Giffen, but Wolfman/Perez Titans are my faves. As a teen, getting to comic shops in Albany (45 minutes away) becomes more and more feasable, so baxter and indies become possible. Not driving yet, but go with friends once a month or more to Dr Who club meetings, and we hit the comics stores afterward.

1985-1987: Titans who? Marv burns out with Crisis. Levitz still has it, although I initially hold a grudge against non-Giffen artists (sorry Steve! I've gotten over it, though). Legion becomes my favorite DC superhero book (Alan Moore's Swamp Thing rules my DC roost at this time, however), although my interests are starting to veer towards Indies: Mage, Elfquest, Jon Sable, American Flagg, Ms Tree and others. Love Sensor Girl arc, Conspiracy, but Starfinger and the early #40s tax my enthusiasm. By now, I'm knee-deep in comics insiderism, helping a friend out with a mail-order subscription service, religiously reading Comics Journal and CBG, hob-nobbing with pros at the Albany cons, and go to San Diego for the 1st time (86).

1988-89: Post-conspiracy, Legion is lagging. I drop the book for a few months, onlt to rejoin with Magic Wars. L.E.G.I.O.N. 89 ads make me gag - I sense corrosion of the arteries of Legion lore - by Giffen? how could he? ...and he's taking over the new LSH book too? I'm out of here.

1990: Well, a little peak or three won't hurt (#15-17). It's interesting, but not MY Legion (not back then, anyway).

1991: Great Darkness sequel? let's look at #24... still not my Legion. Lobo? BAH! A second, younger Legion? Clones? give me a break! By this time, Sandman's my favorite.

1991/2: Moving a lot, time to downsize the collection. Keep 110-ish best LSH, ditch 70-80 or so.

1994: 'End of an era' part one (or conclusion, if you read covers). Interesting. don't know why I only picked up this one, though. I gather the young clones are still around... who's Glorith? why's Mordru young? Is that furry guy Brin? Why does elder Violet look like a cruise ship crew member, and has she filed suit against her hairdresser yet?

1994: LSH #0: A beautiful relauch. I guess it hadda be done. Immonen's art is stunning. Maybe I'll follow this... no, in subsequent issues, this Moy guy's art is too cartoony, and the story's lagging.

1996: LSH #80: Hey! that's a cover... that's a story... that's a keeper! maybe it's time to keep an eye on the gang again. By this time, I'm working in a comic shop, and can follow without buying (will regret later). At this time, my favorite is Preacher.

1997/8: team 20/30? cammon! glad I'm not buying this (at the time).

1999: Legion who? no longer at the shop, I don't see it, don't follow it. I keep a strict diet of Vertigo and indies. serious stuff, no super-heroes, not since I dropped Supreme by Alan Moore.

2000: Yeah, I heard the series was ending. couple min-series will follow. whatever.

2003, spring: Time to downsize my collection again? Lemme re-read some of these... man, these were great! wonder what Legion's up to these days? "Timber Wolf joins," eh? wasn't he already in the reboot? dunno.... Great art! very Euro-cinimatic... another Kid Quantum ,like the one in Legionnaires 17, only female. is that Violet? she's big now! Garth's dead? Jan went bad? musta been in the first few issues. have to track these down. Looks good.

2003, summer: okay, have most of "The," missing 1,2,4... oh here's 2. getting there. Man, 3's a great issue... maybe I'll start filling in my old gaps, too... Levita era: old friends! how could I have ditched you? TMK: first dozen and half: what a departure... this is great stuff! loved figuring out what was going on. reunion in #10 is priceless. early Archies: not bad. there's some good stuff here... hope it doesn't tank the way I remember (20/30). I plan to fill in everything post-archives, then start on the volumes. no way I can afford Silver.

fall 2003: I can afford silver, at least old raggedy ones. pick up a few where I can find and afford, pick up Legion Worlds and a few LLs I can find, and most of DnA's pre-LL issues. I Archie my way into the #70s (still cant find 'Aires Annual #2 at this point!), start into Terra Mosaic, finish re-collecting most of 1982-1989 run. It's fun collecting several eras at once, putting the puzzle together from different perspectives.

winter 03/04: I discover ebay! yeah, I'm a late comer. so what. MIssing about 6 DnA, vow to complete before my one-year reLegioning anniversary (which I do... two mid-run LLs were the holdouts. track them down in NYC, the morning before marching in a parade). start focusing on big runs to fill gaps in the Archie and S/KLSH eras.

spring/summer 04: blow tax refund $ better spent elsewhere on lots of silver and bronze LSH. now missing just over 1/2 Adventure run, 3/4 of Action, 6 Superboys, 10 Karate Kids, and assorted crossovers and cameos. slowing down, bidding cautiously. Legion has definitely replaced Hellblazer has my longest single run (400 to 500 issues in a row vs. 200-ish) and most overall (620 at last count).

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
and you thought War and Peace was long!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
I like this thread. [Veilmist]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Remind me to respond some time.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's see, first issue (S/LSH #236ish) to now...well, I bought that issue, then I bought one involving Barley's Circus of Crime, then the one where Superboy supposedly left the team, and then LSH #283, at which point I got hooked into GDS and was a fan for life.

I wasn't all that thrilled with later issues of preboot v4, but still kept reading, even reading L*. Then came the reboot. I enjoyed it for awhile, but I can't say I ever felt like it was "my" Legion. I really liked Kinetix. I thought she was one of the highlights of the series. (It didn't hurt that I didn't have to deal with her as a rebooted character.) Finally, after a bunch of lackluster Team 20 stories, I gave up. I later came back when DnA were writing Legion and liked it better than I had in a long time. Not everything was great, but overall I enjoyed it.

Since I had never really loved the reboot Legion, I'm not all that sorry to see it go (with a few exceptions like Kinetix and XS - Shikari, too, but that might not matter). This new version seems like it might be a fresh take on the Legion - not rehashing old stories in a new way. Since it seems like this won't be an inferior repetition of previous stories, I think I'm more prone to enjoy it. Maybe it won't be spectacular, but I can at least hope for something new and different.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
started reading the DC digests in Albertson's Sunday morning after church ... don't have a precise recollection of the stories except for the Jungle King & Legion of Super-Monsters (it was 1977: i was 5) but i never had enough money to buy one [Embarrassed] (at the time, if my brother and i wanted a comic, we had to agree on it because our mom would only buy 1 for the 2 of us)

the first legion comic that was mine was a plastic-wrapped 3 pack that they used to sell at k-mart as an 'impulse buy' at the register... i had spent the last week accomodating the (literally) dozens of family coming into our home from Viet Nam (where we're mostly from), translating for immigration, social services and groceries -- my mom (who was WAY more stressed than my 6 yr old butt could be) smiled at me and let me pick out a comic JUST FOR ME (i don't think she knew there were 3 in the pack -- i felt like catwoman or something) and there it was:
the explosive conclusion of OMEGA!
the deadly introduction of the League of Super-Assassins!
and the Subs to the rescue against the Super-Assassins!!!

mind-blowing stuff

consistency wavered as my finances did and i grew up ... an issue here and there (in 1 the legion's in the circus, in another they battle organus, in another chains bind the earth, and another they're in 1950s Bgztl -- i was fascinated)... my bro got into Legion at the Great Darkness Saga, and we moved to Cali, with a 7-11 that had a decent comics spinner on the corner

by the time LSH 300 rolled in, full of alternate futures and actual panel-time for a host of barely seen legionnaires, i was caught

been hooked ever since -- probably have duplicates of the entire Levitz/2nd series, as well as most of TMK (I think) between the boxes of comics i've got in my bro's place in New York, the stuff i've got here in LA, and stuff at my ex's spot in bangkok

levitz was the person who put comic-writing on the map for me, the organic ways he spun stories into each other, the subplots that bobbed up and down before getting their resolution -- it was a very welcome option to Claremont's meandering X and the agonizing angst in every issue of Wolfman's Titans (will Dick quit? will Donna choose to be a housewife? when will Joey come out -- oh, he's straight -- uh huh)

i was ready for ennis, ellis, morrison and moore because of levitz's legion

i didn't like TMK at all when it came out, but it's grown on me - the density of the pages, the maturity in the stories, the complexity of the UP Galaxy, the redemption of Lady Memory, Spider Girl and Ron-Karr -- these things have stayed with me ... but i also have a better understanding, as a writer, about the weights they threw on the stories that didn't always work -- and the way they did it didn't give a way back, twisting and torquing people, places and events straight into the bin

dropped Legion around 1995, when i finished college, moved to New York with $110 in my pocket, and was completely over Archie legion anyway

a year or so later, i had a decent job and began hunting for all the back issues i always wished i had -- especially hunting for stories where i had either the end or the beginning ... i was a madman suddenly wealthy by the glimpses of Legion past filling up -- there was a year or so of reading tons of back issues filled with Legion Subs (even when they got their butt handed to them, like with the Khunds or Daxamites), Legion Academy (Laurel Kent, Shadow Kid, Comet Queen, Nightwind, Lamprey, Jed -- these were somehow my peers growing up -- even if they mostly just corraled lost animals), Duo Damsel & Bouncing Boy (fighting Grimbor alongside the Legion, holding off the djinn invasion, faltering in the face of her own death in Computo's Annual return), Karate Kid & Timberwolf (2 of the sexiest of Legion buds as far as i was concerned and Val was physically the closest to me), Chemical King & Tyroc (enjoying understanding the mystery they left in their absence -- Condo's death, Tyroc's stereotypically angry entrance to the Legion with his fabu disco gear -- 2 powers completely before their respective times which led to horrendously bland depictions on-panel in a world where men ran past time into a rainbow tunnel??? ahh, i never did get that)

Coipel's stark force and motion, his brilliantly different vision of the future, brought me back to the legion, and i stayed through the end of DnA (but my attention was flagging anyway)

legionworld has gotten me all excited about the Waid/Kitson start

now, i pick up a new legion archive every few months .. sometimes i come across a story that's vaguely familiar ... and i remember those precious little digests

and smile

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk, respond to this thread! NOW, mister!

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
1989, Senior in High School, remembered a Legion feature in a Superman tabloid from the late 70's, bought v4#12--smack dab in the middle of the TMK glory years. No Superboy? Crisis? Who the hell is Lar? Reep? WTF? If the poster with everyone's real name hadn't been in that issue, I might have given up. Two year later, found most of the Giffen/Levitz run, including annuals, in the .50 cent bin at the Great Escape. Now I was REALLY hooked. All the stuff that TMK alluded to, all the background, began to come into focus. I read a good 20-30 comics, including the Great Darkness saga, Cos's parents dying, LSH 300, even Omen and the Prophet in one sitting....while tripping. Ah, misspent youth. I still get a little bit of the heebie jeebies when I read the issues with Wildfire, Jacques, and the original Invisible Kid in the alternate reality. Creepy. Anyhoo, over the last 15 (!) years or so I've assembled a nearly complete run of the Legion, from a full set of Archives to today. The only holes left are between the last Archive collection and v2 259, when the title changed over, including Earthwar. I just can't bring myself to pursue it too avidly, since once I have the complete run, it'll be over! Next Legion project: Reread the entire reboot. Maybe I'll find some more good in it now that it's over.

"My" Legion will always be the Levitz-TMK Legion; cliques, arguments, lovers, saving the universe, living, dying, subplots, etc. That being said, I can't wait to see what Waid will do, left to his own devices.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Not to mention I'm looking forward to introducing my five year old to the Legion. Of course, everything's Justice League to him now, but maybe Unlimited will head to the future soon. Hey, if they can base a whole ep around freakin' Hawk and Dove, the Legion GOT to be on the list somehow.

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
He Who Wanders's roadmap is in installment form. Very retro-chic!

Legion Memories: Superboy 197
Legion Memories: Superboy 198-201
Legion Memories: Superboy 202
Legion Memories: Superboy 203
Legion Memories: Superboy 205
Legion Memories: Superboy 206

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.