Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » What's your Legion-reading roadmap? (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: What's your Legion-reading roadmap?
Dain
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dain   Email Dain         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been reading all the "roadmaps" you have posted here, and when I finish I'll write about my bumpy road with the Legion. This is a wonderful topic.

Before that though, I just wanted to comment on Chemical King's entry. I remember the German issues in the mid-70s. They were distributed in a few bookstores here in Athens.
I didn't speak German then (only recently have I begun studying that incredible language) but I bought them becuase sometimes they had Legion stories which I couldn't possibly hope to find in English back then. Buying them meant that I could at least look at the art and maybe understand 2 words a page. But it's a happy memory! [Smile]
Those comics were the same size as the American ones, but they were printed on a much thinner paper, that was surprisingly resilient. Even the cover was printed on the same kind of paper.

The colors though were more vivid than the original - I have no idea what the printing process was that made coloring really stand out - but what I remember most fondly is the smell of that paper.
It had a resin-like smell that always made me imagine all those wonderful forests of Germany (well, d'oh! It's paper, it comes from trees [Razz] ) but this was a particular smell that other paper simply didn't have.
I loved it whenever I found a German issue (I still have a few) and tried desperately to undestand some of the names, like Winzwanda, Federleicht etc. I knew they were Shrinking Violet and Light Lass, but I also coulnd't understand why their names were like that (Feder probably meant Feather and Ayla had a feather on her uniform, that much was obvious). I could tell that neither was an accurate translation and puzzled over this, but I considered the German issues a God-given extra-gift in my Legion-starved youth (after the American comics, of course)!

Ah. Fond memories. [Smile]

[ March 20, 2007, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Dain,

nice to meet a fellow European here. I can explain those names to you. German comic books have gone through a history of translating Super hero names - at the beginning, EVERY name was translated - Superman became Supermann, vor example, which really looks ridiculous today - Spidermann was "Die Spinne" (the spider) and Green Lantern was "Grüne Leuchte" (with Leuchte being everything but not a Lantern). Flash was "Roter Blitz" (Red Lightning).

With the Legion, they had the problem that some direct tranlations did not work at all like "Light Lass" in german meaning "Leichtes Mädchen" which is a nickname for a hooker. So they took "Federleicht" which is an adjective meaing something is very very light. Kind of a nice name in german, but no direct translation. Same goes for Winzwanda ("Tiny Wanda"), Waldwolf ("Forest Wolf") and Sternschwinge ("Starswing" or something like that). They translated Dawnstar with "Dämmerungsstern" for one issue but it just did not have the sound...

Today, most names are not translated at all - with the exception of the Avengers which still are called "Die Ruhmreichen Rächer" in their current book (or did they skip the "Ruhmreich" = rich of glory lately? Don't know...)

Greetings to Athens!

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I came into a bit of extra money last week, and used some of it to purchase volumes 10, 11 and 12 of the Archives. This is a part of Legion history that I am unfamiliar with. Not sure what else I've read from this era... the Grimbor and Charma story? The first Wildfire story? The one where the Legion tries to put one over on Projectra with the 'Saturn Lad and Prince Projectur' thing? The one where Invisible Kid needs Chemical King's help to catch an invisible thief? Are those from this era?

Anyway, they've been shipped, so I should be able to find out in a few days. Looking forward to it.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think all of those stories are featured in those Archives.

My reading of Legion stories pretty much stops with Archive 12, and then is pretty sporadic from there through the Levitz era.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah. Someday I'd really like to be able to read Earthwar. What kind of Legion fan am I if I've never read Earthwar?

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
At the rate they're publishing the Legion Archives now, we should see Earthwar in print again about 2058. Shame, because I found it much more uplifting and satisfyingly Legionesque than Levitz's later "war stories" (GDS, LSV and Magic Wars).
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chemical King:
German comic books have gone through a history of translating Super hero names - "Light Lass" in german meaning "Leichtes Mädchen" which is a nickname for a hooker.

Now this would be an interesting reboot. [Eek!]

My LegionRoadmap.com

Mid 60's Spinner rack attacks at the local drug store with my 25 cent allowance. Two books and tax.

Mostly I'd get anything that started with "House of" or had witches on the cover or FFour (The Thing was my big brother). I loved the 25 cent giants and felt special to be a able to buy one (but I had to turn in a pop bottle to pay the tax)! I know I continued to buy comics into the early 70's because I remember seeing Swamp Thing for the first time and going ga ga (wish I'd kept that one!). Silver Surfer was also a favorite.

My First Adventure

You could look at the cover of ADV346 and not grap it (looking over shoulder to see if cashier was going to tell me they're for buying, not reading). Ferro Lad was my new friend and Queen Projectra I saved from many monsters! Legion instantly became my favorite. As my mighty income permitted, I dug through the rack for some back issues. The stories I remember most were Traitor, Computo, Nardo, and Suneater. I do not recall anything after Suneater so I suspect I either gave it up in sadness or the drug store stopped carrying ADV. and I thought the book just stopped. [Frown] I didn't really get the "big picture."

Zzzzziiiiiipppppppppppppp "1989"

I'm bumming around Cairne, Australia with my Dutch GF and I see..... a spinner rack! (Got to get me one of these before I die). So I spin it, looking at familiar titles and I see a pink bikini . I read the title. [Big Grin]

This is also the first time I ever heard of a "comic shop."

Much to my GF's chagrin (she let me know this clearly), I spent the next two months traveling around Australia and the US looking for comic shops and back issues. Imagine a 32 year old guy with a GF who's a GYMNAST!!!, spending evenings with comic books spread out over the bed. [LOL] sigh.

Still reading?

She eventually caved and even bought some for me. Unfortunately, the relationship was not meant to be. Before we were done traveling I had most of the ADV after 340 and some before. All Actions, Superboys, and everything after that.

I continued to collect up to about the end of DnA. I have the first WaK trade.

I wonder what the Dutch GF's up to?

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Chemical King said
quote:
Hi Dain, nice to meet a fellow European here.
Hi Chem. Nice meeting you too. [Smile]
Thank you for explaining those names for me. I guess Winzwanda was translated this way as a nice alliteration.
It was the same in Greece in the 60s. Back then, there was a weekly comic book series with alternating titles. "Diaplanetika", "Dynamika", "Paraxena" and "Ekpliktika" which reprinted Mystery in Space, Action/Superman, Strange Adventures and Unexpected respectively.

They had translated Adam Strange as Adam Paraxenos, Superman as Hyperanthropos and Batman as Nykteridas. Justice League of America was "To Syndikato tis Nemeseos" meaning "The Syndicate of Nemesis" a name I hated (along with Nykteridas that simply meant He-bat).

A funny coincindece though is the translation of "Alanna", Adam's girlfriend. They called her "Alanka" that sounded Slavic and vaguely exotic, because Alanna in Greek slang means either a barren, empty lot, a very promiscuous and immoral woman, or.....a hooker! [Razz]

Those wonderful comics (as well as Little Lulu and Mickey Mouse)are very much sought after and expensive collectors' items today.
They were the first American comics I ever read, in Greek of course, around 1968. Each week I travelled to the planet Rann of the star-sun Alpha Centauri where Adam Paraxenos met his beloved Alanka and saved Rann using his mind and resourcefullness instead of a super-power like Hyperanthropos, Gyneka-Thauma (Wonder Woman), Prasinos Fanos (Green Lantern) etc.
I was secretly in love with Alanka. Older boys at school whispered among themselves about what Alanka and Adam "do" when we don't see them, but that stuff was hidden in shadows for me at the age of 6 or 7. Those super-heroes seemed so grown-up to me. Heck, even those 11-year old boys were grown up as far I was concerned.

Then Ι read this Supergirl story. She asked for help from a group of heroes from the future. They seemed younger than other super-heroes, the art was wonderful and the idea that each came from a different world amd had a special power amazed me.

I managed to find a few issues with Legion stories and that's how I met Saturn Girl, Sun Boy, Cosmic Boy, Bouncing Boy and Brainiac 5 (whose name remained untranslated, thank heaven! Years later in one story in another magazine they translated his name as Eksypnakias which means Smarmy wise-guy!) I loved the Legion. I played with friends at being Legionnaires, dreamed about them at night, in my bleak room in a bleak neighborhood of downtown Athens.

All those stories were reprints from before the Adventure era, so I had no idea there were more. Little did I know at that time that American Comics were already distributed in Greece since the early 50s. Little did I know that there were stacks of them in used book stores.

Fast forward a few years. It's 1972. 10 years old and having had maybe 10 lessons of English. I go to a thriftshop to trade some Mickey Mouse comics for a couple of Diaplanetika issues. There's nothing new so I trade my comics for an issue of Action Comics in English, my first original American comic.
The back story is a futuristic adventure. I understand a few words here and there, especially "Chemical", "King" and "Violet". No recognition. It took 30 years to finally find that comic again.

Fast forward a few years. It's Friday, May 16 1975. School's out at 2 p.m. I've been buying a few American comics from foreign press newsstands in downtown Athens. Iron Man, a couple of X-men.
My English is much better and can easily understand 40% of the text without having to search in a dictionary.
Stores close at 2.30, there's nothing new in the local newsstand so I decide to run to the American Bookstore 2 Km away. I get there at 2.25.
The clerk gives me a dirty look as I look at the spinner rack. Don't have much time.
A blue-yellow-red cover catches my eye. I don't notice the title, only the art (I still don't). A gorgeous platinum-haired girl dressed in a fiery red costume is lying on a table, a powerful young man dressed in a futuristic costume tries to do something while a younger version of Superman, but older than the Superboy I knew, is bursting thru a wall. I browse the interior quickly,it's a futuristic story. The clerk is getting impatient, I buy the magazine and return home.

The smell of late spring wafts thru my window from the big park just opposite the street. A new home, new and better neighborhood.
I start reading without having paid any attention to the magazine title, yet!
I like the story and the art is fabulous. Then...something in the back of my mind starts tingling. Where have I seen this green guy before?
Who's this incredibly sexy blonde in the pink costume? Her name is Imra. The green guy calls her Saturn Girl...Saturn is the planet Kronos, the ringed planet...the tingling gets more intense...a warm sensation in my chest gets hotter and hotter...the blonde calls the green guy Brainiac 5....the tingling and the hot sensation start to combine and an incredible realisation is taking form....my whole self is involved in this....for the first time I look at the title of the magazine, and suddenly everything explodes!!!!
It's Superboy starring The Legion of Super-Heroes #209!! The Legion...Leyeona ton Hyper-eroon.
It's my Legion of Super-Heroes. Grown up, sensual, addictive, beautiful, a window into the future, my future, their future, my Legion!!!
And there were more characters than I had ever imagined in a glorious future. The Legion was bigger and better than anything I had known before.

-

I've felt such joy and happiness a few times in my life after that, but that moment defined a big part of who I am. It literally changed my life in the most profound yet tangible ways.
My love for the Legion led me not only to study English literature -to become a teacher of foreign languages - but also philosophy, linguistics, astronomy, sociology, psychology and art.

In the next few years I was going on my monthly rounds of the center of Athens trying to locate new and maybe older issues of the SLSH. I still remember how I felt and where I bought many of those early Legion issues from. Sometimes I bought them in languages I didn't understand like German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and once even in a black-and-white edition in Arabic.

I started creating my own characters, artlessly but in full enthusiasm sketching them in notebooks and even school books if I happened to be absent-minded during "Homeric Syntax and Grammar" class!
Once I even drew a semi-naked Dream Girl on a Latin pop-quiz in class without even realising it! [Big Grin] The teacher gave me a "10". "Zero for the quiz and 20 for the sketch", he said jokingly. Well, at least I got a passing mark.

The mid-80s brought a "dark age" when almost no comics were imported in Greece because of extremely harsh taxes the new government implemented on anything it considered - in a totally arbitrary way - "frivolities". Each imported comic - with the exception of some Marvels - would cost the equivalent of $10 today.
There were entire years, once 3 years in a row, that I had read no new Legion book. I managed to get back issues from friends who went to Australia, from my brother in Germany and when I felt strong enough I even faced "Customs", that 9-headed monster that would keep back issue orders for 6 months trying to discourage imports!
It was really a dark time and I'm glad it's over now.

The 80s and 90s are another story though and this is getting to be a novel, not a road map. I hope I haven't bored you too much.

Today there are about 15 comic shops in the Athens metropolitan area that's home to almost 4,5 million people, a giant warehouse with hundreds of thousands of back issues, we have a real Comics Con - with a focus on American Comics - each year. We also have the Net that brought so many of us together and where we can get any comicbook we want. Greece is part of the European Union and no one has the power anymore to arbitrarily decide what is "frivolous" and what isn't or what we'll read...

I'm sorry this turned out so big but I really wanted to share it with you people. [Smile]

[ March 21, 2007, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

From: Somewhere in the Multiverse | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey Dain no prob. It was fun and insightful.

My first Legion issue #305. Violet's Story. To this day I just think it's different. That is my favorite Giffen era...#305 to the end of that title (316?). I still think that vision of the Legion was ahead of it's time and no one has been able to replicate it. Cool powers, cool characters, no capes. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
My Legion roadmap is pretty simple (but I will make it complicated and wordy).

When I was a wee lass I went into McKay's used book store in Knoxville, TN with my mom. I had just gotten into comics (or had only been in a few years, memory is fuzzy) but I saw that they had a few issues for dirt cheap. Two were Superboy issues and one was a Legion of Super-heroes issue with Superboy on the cover.

The Legion issue (and unfortuantly I'm not at home so I can't look up the number) had a picture of Lightning Lad, Phantom Girl and a few other Legionnaires surrounded by tanks. Lightning Lad was telling Superboy to use his powers to save them (or something to that effect) and Superboy was saying something like "I would Lightning Lad, but I'm NOT SUPERBOY"

The issue dealt with Superboy thinking he was Ultra Boy posing as Reflecto, yeah, I'm still not sure I get it.

Anyways, I enjoyed that issue, but never bought the Legion. When Superboy (Kon-El) had his book and it crossed-over with the Legion (around issue 21) I really enjoyed the Legion in it and got one part of the cross-over (I think I was still overseas at the time and the newstand (Stars and Stripes) might not have carried both Legion titles, again, I don't remember).

Anyways, I enjoyed the Legion in their guest spots. When Gail Simone finished the last Legion with that one arc I got that because I had recently fallen in love with her BOP. It was then that I realized how much I enjoyed the characters, even though I only had a handful of issues with them in it.

The reboot came, Waid and Kitson started the current Leigon and I decided to get onboard at the ground floor. I really enjoyed it and realized that I really liked the concept of the Legion.

I don't remember if it was before the boot or around this time that I decided to try and find the issue after the one issue I had (with Superboy thinking he was Ultra Boy). Well, I finally did (in the quarter bin with the pages wrinkled) but I didn't care, I had had that issue for 10 years before I found out how the story ended.

Anyways, to end my incredibly boring rambling story this was the begining of my Legion back issue buying spree. Couples with the number of Legion issues I could get for cheap and the passion for the Legion that Waid and Kitson had ignited in me with the early issues of their run I tried to grab everything that had Legion on it that was a dollar or less. I was able to pick up a bunch of Legion and Tales issues for 20 cents and soon had that store wiped out, I then moved on to another store that had a bunch of Legion for a dollar each. Soon I had a repectable run of the Levitz era (actually I'm quite proud of how many Legion issues I've picked up), I also have some post-ZH (plus that trade they came out with).

Recently I've dropped S/LOSH. Partially for monetary reasons, I needed to trim my list and Legion was more frustrating than enjoyable for me (I planned to just get it in trade). Now I'm not so sure, I might go back to picking it up to finish Waid's run or I might just jump back on for Benard or I might just wait and see, but just because I'm not currently buying the book (seriously, poor college student) I still love the Legion and wish that it hadn't taken me so long to realize that I loved these characters.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dain
Active

Thank you Ultra Jorge! I love that era too. So many characters and concepts and Mr. Giffen's art was really ahead of its time before he changed his style...

I've enjoyed immensely all stories here. Many of them even moved me because I realised how much in common many of us have and how connected is our "real" life with the Legion.

Stephbarton, welcome to Legion World. I'm fairly new here myself. I didn't find your roadmap boring at all. You obviously like the Legion very much to go to all that trouble trying to locate those back issues. I think you'd like the rest of the Waid/Kitson run. I know I do (well, not everything but it's a good Legion version and the latest storyline is one of the best!) [Smile]

[ March 21, 2007, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Dain ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:
The issue dealt with Superboy thinking he was Ultra Boy posing as Reflecto, yeah, I'm still not sure I get it.

LOL, yeah as a kid I also bought this in one of those cheap comics stacks. I read it a few times (I was like 10). And kept saying "so who the heck is Reflecto???"

Thankfully he became his own person over in v4 annual #1...a rejected applicant. It answered the the 10 year old's question...even if it was a retcon. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klordny
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klordny   Author's Homepage   Email Klordny         Edit/Delete Post     
This thread is 4 years old, by the way.

My first comics were off the spinner rack at the local 7-11 in Edison, NJ. My first Legion issue, Superboy 212 (Legion of Super-Rejects), was a few months after I read my first comic (Superman 276 with Captain Thunder). My second issue was Adventure 346, the first part of the Adult Legion story, which I picked up at a garage sale. I couldn't figure out why they were older in the 1960s and teens in the 1970s!

I eventually picked up back issues and by around 220 or so I was buying each issue on the stands. Somewhere around the 250's-260's I got a subscription, but that sucked because the comics came later than on the newsstand and often in worse shape. I've bought every issue since then.

Somewhere in the early 90s I developed my "anal retentive" checklist and with the internet I was able to find more obscure issues and artifacts.

I have a nearly complete Legion run - missing just 7 Adventure issues (I have 247), 11 Action issues (mostly the cameo appearances), 7 Superman issues, most of the Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane issues, and a handful of other scattered stories. I've read almost all of them via reprints, though, but it's the thrill of the chase that's fun to.

Oh, and it was about 10 years before I got to read the second part of the Adult Legion story, via the reprint in the DC Super-Stars issue.

Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Grabois:
This thread is 4 years old, by the way.

My first comics were off the spinner rack at the local 7-11 in Edison, NJ. My first Legion issue, Superboy 212 (Legion of Super-Rejects), was a few months after I read my first comic (Superman 276 with Captain Thunder). My second issue was Adventure 346, the first part of the Adult Legion story, which I picked up at a garage sale. I couldn't figure out why they were older in the 1960s and teens in the 1970s!

I eventually picked up back issues and by around 220 or so I was buying each issue on the stands. Somewhere around the 250's-260's I got a subscription, but that sucked because the comics came later than on the newsstand and often in worse shape. I've bought every issue since then.

Somewhere in the early 90s I developed my "anal retentive" checklist and with the internet I was able to find more obscure issues and artifacts.

I have a nearly complete Legion run - missing just 7 Adventure issues (I have 247), 11 Action issues (mostly the cameo appearances), 7 Superman issues, most of the Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane issues, and a handful of other scattered stories. I've read almost all of them via reprints, though, but it's the thrill of the chase that's fun to.

Oh, and it was about 10 years before I got to read the second part of the Adult Legion story, via the reprint in the DC Super-Stars issue.

Wow! first off, I totally relate to the 'waiting years before finding how a story ends' and Wow! that is one impressive Legion run.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
quote:
Originally posted by stephbarton:

LOL, yeah as a kid I also bought this in one of those cheap comics stacks. I read it a few times (I was like 10). And kept saying "so who the heck is Reflecto???"

Thankfully he became his own person over in v4 annual #1...a rejected applicant. It answered the the 10 year old's question...even if it was a retcon. [Wink]

The Reflecto thing was kind of a precursor to the whole "Let's retell an old story but with a twist" that took off with the reboot. So we basically knew how the story was supposed to go: Dude named Reflecto joins the Legion, he gets killed in duel with the Molecule Master. That's the classic version as Shooter first stated it. But rather than just making that the story, they had to give the most convoluted possible storyline they could think of.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.