Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » What's your Legion-reading roadmap? (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: What's your Legion-reading roadmap?
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
[Tornado Twins] BUMP for the new sentients and the procrastinating old sentients

quote:

How did you get from your first Legion issue to your most recent one?

-
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
When I was 5 or 6 I was given a stack of coverless comics that included Adventure Comics #267, 290 & 318. The first one I bought was Adv 367. I stopped buying comics sometime after Supergirl took over Adventure. A few years later I spotted LSH V 1 #3 at Shinders in Downtown Minneapolis. I've been collecting comics ever since. In all likelihood if it wasn't for the LSH I wouldn't be collecting comic books.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the first Legion-specific comic I ever bought was Legionnaires #32.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Do go on. [XS]
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Leap Year Lass:
[Tornado Twins] BUMP for the new sentients and the procrastinating old sentients

quote:

How did you get from your first Legion issue to your most recent one?

-
Sorry, I'm a POS!

My first Legion comic was one of the Grell issues. I think it was the Grimbor/Charma story. I had a handful of other comics from that era, too. I also remember having JLA comics and Teen Titans comics. We moved to Australia and the only shop that had comics stocked black and white reprints. They were thick and full of both new and old stories. I could tell the difference based on the art style.

When we returned to the states, I found out that the most current issue was one of the last of the Earthwar issues. I had missed a bunch. When in Seattle, we went to Golden Age Collectibles and I found all of the back issues between the current one I had and Superboy #197. My parents bought all of them for me!!!!!

Ever since, I have made every effort neccessary to never miss an issue, and I never have (I think/hope.)! I don't have each and every AR appearance, but pretty much everything within the series proper. I have all 12 Archive Editions, which filled in the eras before Superboy.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You can probably guess from my pen name that I started out with Adventure. Mystery Lad's introduction was my first Legion story and I was immediately hooked. I think the next issue I got (distribution in the UK was fairly random at that time) was the revival of Lightning Lad.

I kept reading until my folks sold my collection in about 1969 (I was too old for comics apparently and I had discovered girls so was somewhat pre-occupied)

It was only in the mid 70s that I saw a Superboy and the Legion issue and bought it. I was married by then. I started buying new issues again and then discovered dealers selling old issues. I now have all the back issues going all the way to Adventure 247.

I've stuck with the Legion through the good and bad times ever since

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

[Queeg] Queeg is nearly beside him[?]self in anticipation of your tale.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
For the record, I haven't read a Legion comic since about three or four issues into Shooter's last run.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
The first issue I bought was Lord Romdurs Castle when I was about seven and continued buying until about halfway through the Tales baxter reprints when my parents decided I was too old for comics and disposed of them.

Several years later I picked up the first issue of the TMK issues on a whim and was immediately hooked again. I went back and repurchased all of the issues from Lord Romdurs up to the end of the Baxter run and continued getting both LSH and Legionnaires up to the start of the DnA run. Soon after this I moved in with my partner at the time and had to sell all of my comics due to a lack of space.

This relationship ended at pretty much the same time as Shooter came back to the Legion so I bought that issue to see if it was still as good as I remembered it.

It was and I now have a complete run from the original Action stories and have sufficient space to both continue going back for the remaining Adventure issues I have outstanding and for the new series to come.

Personally I cannot wait!

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I found a stack of comics in my Uncle's room as a young lad. Among them were several Superboy comics. This ine in particular stuck with me for some reason...

S/LSH #208

Read that issue so many times, it's kinda sad. Got back into them somewhere aroung the Great Darkness Saga, and have been a fan ever since. I did take part of the three boot off due to financial reasons however.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For the record, I haven't read a Legion comic since about three or four issues into Shooter's last run.

I checked out with the preview issue of Waid's threeboot.

I have, however, read three issues since then, including Shooter's first issue back. None changed my mind.

Maybe we should start a thread called "What's your Legion roadblock?" [shrug]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe I did.

Do you have/have you had a Legion-reading roadBLOCK?

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

[Veilmist]
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
Sometime in 1964 I was was given a stack of coverless comics that included Adventure 267, 290 & 318. The first issue I bought at a newsstand or rather the grocery store was Adv 367 in 1968. I bought them off and on up thru part of their Action Comics run when I stopped buying comics altogether. Then in Feb 73 I spotted LSH Vol. 1 #3 at Shinders in downtown Minneapolis & I've been buying them ever since.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Not a Hoax, Not an Imaginary Tale ... the Secret Legion Fanboy Origin of FUTURE

My Legion history includes several yearly encounters well before I actually gave the team a shot.

It's around 1993. I'm a young fanboy and thus I'm reading Wizard Magazine like it was a heroine hit. An advertisement in an issue for the "Legionnaires" title catches my eye. The team was big, the art was pretty, and the characters looked young and fun. Even as a young boy (I was 9, mock accordingly), I thought how awesome that book must be. Allowance and a short attention span got in the way, and not even ten minutes later I had forgotten about the Legionnaires.

In 1994, I'm going with my father to visit a gentleman from church. This fellow happened to be a 'former' comic fanboy. His hallways were lined with white long boxes, packed up and ready for an inevitable sell whenever he got around to it. I recall being mesmerized by the sight. I was too afraid to touch the boxes or open them (as they weren't mine and my mother raised me right), but couldn't look away from a random loose comic sitting on top of one of the boxes. It was a beautiful painted cover, the silhouettes clearly superheroic characters proudly hoisting a 'Superman' flag into the sunset. Again, I was young. I was 10. Yet somehow it just 'clicked' that the cover was beautiful and that book was important. The "church friend" must have noticed how I kept looking, because a few weeks later he brought it to church and more or less told my father I "was supposed to have it." It was a pristine copy of Legion of Super-Heroes v3 #38, the death of Superboy.

Not that I knew that at the time. Legion of Super-Heroes didn't mean anything to me at that point, I didn't make the connection to the Legionnaires, and I'm pretty sure I only read it maybe once ("This double page spread has the same guy twice!" being my only impression of the book, able to notice the similarities between Magnetic Kid and Cosmic Boy) before I ultimately put it away in a long box and forgot about it.

In 1995 (I told you this would get yearly), I'm at a Waldenbooks or some other store in the mall. I'm bored and hanging by the spinner rack. The cover of Impulse #3 catches my eye with the style of art and look of the main character. It was a done-in-one issue. I loved it and was immediately hooked. Cut to six months/issues later, when Impulse has a meeting with his cousin from the 30th century. Exciting! She looked pretty cool and was a lot of fun. She had super speed too and could fly (despite the fact Impulse #9 had a clear shot of her flight ring when she was flying, I had no idea it was because of the ring). I was really grooving to the new direction of Impulse with XS. Then the worst thing happened - XS parted ways and said she had to go home. Nooooooooo. I'm distraught about XS leaving, yet for some reason I'm oblivious that she had another title she was going to. I continue collecting Impulse in ignorance XS was somewhere else.

In 1996, I'm at a comic shop with some time to kill after my usual purchases because of the weather. I scan through the alphabetical racks of books, having just picked through the latest JLA mini-series I'm sure, when I spot Legionnaires #41.

Suddenly, everything clicks. Live Wire is front and center and with the Legionnaires logo I immediately remember him as the prominent character in the ad I liked in Wizard three years before. I notice the hand buried in rubble he's looking at, with brown skin and a white glove. I see the L* logo and it suddenly clicks - that's XS. I flip open the book. Holy crap, it's XS! The issue features the team recovering from an unknown (for me) event with half the team apparently missing! So many members! And they're from different planets? And there's a funeral for someone? I've missed so much!

That should be discouraging for most new readers, but my childhood consisted of Transformers and X-Men. I was used to watching a cast of brightly colored dozens in mid-story and having to dig deep to understand who did what or where they came from. I was hooked, yet somehow put off collecting the LSH title until Impulse guested in it. By the time the Legion of Super-Heroes floodgate opened, my back issue hunting began in earnest. Shiny covers and nice deals made me a fan of the Adventure, TMK, and Baxter Legion days. I dived into each reality, more turned on than off by the challenge of them.

I remember wincing, at 13, when I realized my Baxter Legion collection may never be complete - I was missing the death of Superboy two-parter and at the time those back issues were a pretty penny. Then it hit me, and after several years in the back of a longbox I unearthed the gift "I was supposed to have" from years earlier - LSH #38, still in great condition despite myself.

While my back issue hunting has died thanks to the marvels of the Legion Archives and the Internet, my love for the Legion hasn't dimmed since I picked up that issue of Legionnaires #41. I had periods where I stopped reading for a bit, but even during those spells I would still doodle my future pals and read back issues.

Now you know (and knowing is half the battle)...

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.