Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » UNIVERSO!

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: UNIVERSO!
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
Universo has always been my favorite legion villain, so i am thrilled that he's back. i love Batista's outfit for him! and i like the idiosynchratic way of speaking that DnA are giving him. however, the "new" origin leaves me cold. one of the cool and interesting things about pre-boot universo was always his mysterious origin + motivations, and sneaky manueverings for power. his history kept being revealed in partial layers that kept getting more interesting...father of Rond Vidar; stolen hyno-gem; one-time green lantern; etc. now he's just another megalomaniac with super-mental powers. we have yet to see if DnA are totally embracing the dan jurgen's revamped origin as imra's cousin (Blecch), but they had Universo himself say that Titan has imprisoned him since he was a child. even he's not from Titan (i hope), it pretty much negates his interesting backstory. i think that's a waste. what do you all think?

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Agreed, his pre-boot connection to Rond Vidar was better, but I guess DnA felt compelled to adhere to his established post-boot origin, flaky as it may be, though they did a nice job depicting him as a retro B-movie villain. Frankly, I see Universo as a throw-away bad guy at this point, to be dispatched pretty definitively in the next issue -- just a foreshadowing of the more menacing heavy lurking in the background.

[ July 31, 2003, 11:07 AM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno. I kinda like this version.

Before, it was just some guy who wanted power so he tried various means to get it.

Now it's this fellow who has a natural power that's very strong and he's exploring it and finding that one of the best things about it is controlling others. Plus he's been surpressed by society for so long--at least that gives him some motivation other than, "I want power."

True the pre-boot Universo had several side stories such as Rond and the Green Lanterns, but we only know that now because we have read all the issues. All sorts of layers could still be added to this Universo too.

All-in-all, I think he has good potential, but I never sank any money into Universe Ablaze, so I've no attached bitterness.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the Rond Vidar/fallen Green Lantern connections for Universo in the pre-boot. We don't know that much for certain about the villain this time around (I missed the Titans X-over story). Maybe he broke out of prison before, had a son, got recaptured - he looks old enough for a few major events to have happened to him, which we may not know about. Maybe Titan covered up his first escape once he was recaptured.

A new twist to Universo (I think) is this hunger - the more minds he consumes, the more he wants. Maybe he started out with a motivation of revenge, self-preservation - and now he's going to be a mind-junkie. Will he overdose? Will he go after one mind too many (such as Darkseid's)? Or will he just meet his match in Imra?

(Perhaps he has a special weakness for shameless hussies, eh?)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.