Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Let's Duke It Out With... The Legion #22

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's Duke It Out With... The Legion #22
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Duking it out is a spoiler laden page-by-page review of THE LEGION #22, heavy on tangental comments, obscure references, and fanboy rantings...

COVER:
I am generally happy with TnT's recent covers, and after a few issues I have decided that I really prefer the new logo. However, I do have to wonder if Wacker got his cover assignments, umm... out of whack. I mean, does it strike anyone else as odd that Dreamer would be the cover feature of an issue in which she speaks not one word and spends all of her time tied to a chair? Wouldn't the cover that featured Shikari and Sensor have been better for this issue?

Beyond that, while Dreamer's figure is fine ("yeah, baby") her head seems kinda weird. I mean, nothing on the face quite lines up right-- even given the worm's eye perspective. The chin is huge, the back of the head too cropped, the nose kinda pugish, and the eyes horribly misaligned. So, while Dreamer's Olympic sized cleavage is something special, her face here is more Special Olympics.

Now to her costume. Shoulder pads in ladies fashion? That is SO 2980's. [Wink] And what is the story with the gaunlets? Weapons? Fashion statement? Some sort of other dimensional window that allows access to her visions while awake? And why no L* belt? Come to think of it, has Dreamer actually been inducted into the Legion yet, or is she technically still just a "Legion Associate?" That would explain the lack of proper attire, I guess.

Still, those who wanted to see Dreamer take on more of her preboot characteristics will be happy. While most Legionniares wear those giant saddlebags on their belts, all Nura needs for her adventuring is that cute little condom pouch.

PAGE 1
I like the idea of a "what has gone before" into page, except that it does take away a page of story. Once upon a time, writers were skilled at catching up new readers through diologue during the story. Admittedly, this can get tedious when the complete story is read in one sitting, so I would not mind the into page if the Legion was getting regularly collected into trade paperbacks. In that case, the into page works great in the serialized version, and can just get cut in the collection. But since there have been no tpb's, I think I'd rather have that extra page of story back.

One thing that does stand out about this page however, is Karate Kid's hands. I think one of the best things about Batista's art is Mark Farmer's wonderful inking, with it's perfect use of line weight. I was never a fan of Oliver Coipel's storytelling, his panel to panel story flow, but having seen some of his penciled pages I wonder if I would have hated his work less with Farmer inking instead of Lanning?

Which also reminds me: I have had the pleasure of seeing some of Jimmy Janes' original penciled pages on eBay. There's a dude who got robbed by the inking process! I lie awake at night now wishing I could take back all the nasty letters I wrote to DC back then regarding Janes' art. [Embarrassed]

PAGES 2-3
Okay, so now it's offical, Universo wants to take over all minds in the UP, eliminating individuality and creating one giant hive mind.

Just like the Blight.

Just like Singularity's White Triangle wannabee gang.

Just like Robotica.

Um, 'kay guys. New theme please.

A nice shot of all the Legionnaires as they arrive on Titan. Odd that they are apparently using the portals unaided. I thought a Kwai guide was required for this type of interplanetary travel?

A few thoughts on the individual Legionnaires-- Of course Batista & Farmer's depictions are spot on delightful. Some minor quibles: XS's chest symbol is beginning to look too much like a giant sperm cell. I am still not a fan of the Morse Code splattered all over Brainy's face. It must translate to, "Look at me, I'm a fashion disaster!" I am glad to have Wildfire back, and glader still DnA have chosen to ignore his ignoble postboot origin, but I still am not wild about the Atomic Kights style uniform. Why is Kid Quantum all the time the only one to wear a Legion jacket? Is this part of her official uniform now? Is the Legion leader required to wear the jacket? One has to wonder why Chuck, alone among all of the Legion's support staff, seems to be an actual member of the team. Would somebody please force feed him some super-plastic fluid and get it over with!? Gates can stand pretty tall when he needs to, eh? Would somebody just kill Kinetix and put her out of our misery? I mean, grife, how many transformations is this for her now? You suppose newer readers puzzle over the green streak in Violet's hair?

PAGE 4-5
Inside the portal kinds looks like the silver age depiction of the time stream, doesn't it? I wonder if Shikari could use the portals to travel through time, as well as space, if she needed to? I mean, relativistically speaking, when one travels these vast distances through space, one is necessarily traveling through time anyway.

Shikari gets off a good zinger re: Sensor's new look, and then the two pop out of a portal into Steeple. As they do three things occur to me:

One is that, in addition to continuing to hammer away at a single theme, DnA also fall into the trap typical of so many comics writers these days by needlessly dragging out their stories. When we get to the end of this issue, we will see that precious little in the way of plot has actually transpired. Really, I see no reason pages 4 and 5 could not have been condenced into a single page. I mean, c'mon, lets get on with it. Once upon a time Julius Scwartz had a rule of no more than 40 words to a single balloon, or panel. Modern comics are lucky to get that many words on a singel page!

Next, I seem to notice, perhaps for the first time, that Sensor is actually quite naked, isn't she? Good thing DC does not rely on the Comics Code anymore, eh?

And last, I wonder, as I have for several issues now, how exactly Shikari manages to stay in her costume. Looking at the bolt on her ankle, I wonder if her sides are supposed to be part of her clothing, even though they are colored the same as her skin tones? Colored the way she is, Shikari displayes a talent for remaining covered in improbable positions not seen in comics anywhere this side of Vamperilla! I still do think that her sides must be incorrectly colored costume, sort of the opposite of the late '70s when colorists, either through ignorance or editorial mandate, began coloring the girl Legionnaires to fill in certain costume areas. "Okay, Grell's gone. QUICK! Everybody cover up!!"

PAGES 6-7
By denying the existance of Darksied, Universo pretty much guarentees we'll be seeing 'ol crater face soon, don'cha think?

And again, I see no reason that pages 6 & 7 could not have been done as one page. Sure, Universo's maniacal pose under the TitanNet light saber thingy is dramatic, but truncating a panel or two on page six would still have left half a page for the big splash.

Page 8
And from one near full page panel to another, this time on Steeple, where Shikari is still falling out of her costume and Sensor still does not have one. She also needs a pair of hips. How does that belt stay on her anyway?

PAGE 9
Reunited, the four featured Legionnaires of the issue catch up with each other. I like Shikari's pose at the table. I really shows, in a way 1000 words could not, a lot about her innocent, inquisitive nature.

PAGE 10
Speaking of which, Shikari then launches into 20 questions with Val. The giant air jellyfish Val rides is a cool visual. And we get a sence of Val's inner nature. Despite all the Zen crap he has been spouting since the reboot we see in his "ten years is ten years" line that there is only so much inner peace a guy like him can take. Val is a man of action.

She and val arrive at the portal, which sits besides two Validus sized flight rings [Wink] and I have to wonder, why did he and Ferro assemble the thing out in the desert? All that flying sand is generally not good for electronics. If it worked when Brainy sent it, it certainly should not work now.

PAGE 11
Ferro reveals that the Steepletonians (?) have cured his injuries but that he is locked in iron form. I have to wonder why this development was deemed necessary? Is it supposed to add more angst to the character? "I have come to terms with my appearance but now cannot uncover my face and so must maintain the silver age visual my fans have come to love even though remaining masked makes no sence?" Frankly, I thought being shy about his appearance made perfect sence considering, postboot, he is from the 20th century. I also thought the "30th century science can fix my looks but the surgery is undone every time I transform," was plenty angst inducing enough. I also liked that the disfigurement as a cost of heroism, which added a nice dimension to Ferro's dedication to helping others.

What strikes me most though is the sound FX when Ferro taps his head. "Tang Tang" ?? [Confused] ?? Does this bring up a visual of a hollow container to anyone else? What are DnA trying to say about Ferro, exactly?

PAGE 12
One of the pashi masters gives the Legionnaires a little device to help Sensor block Universo's powers, and then bids them farewll. And I am a little disappointed. When we first saw the Steepletonians, I was fairly excited as I thought they might provide a divice for bringing back a favorite Legionniare. I mean, omnipotent harmonic powers that can be used as a Dues ex Machina to whatever end the plot requires... tell me now, who exactly does THAT sound like. I can see it now: "Yeah, I've joined your honky Legion, but only so I can take it to 'the man' for oppressing my purple brothers!" [Laugh Out Loud] Still, considering the Pashi's demeanor, it might have been neat if they had swung Tyroc from angrey black man to purple pacifists. Imagine the conversations with Gate's regarding the best means of protesting 30th century society's ills: "Hungy strike! Are you out of your mammilian mind!? We need to blow stuff up!!"

PAGE 13.
Supposedly dramatic, but really completely useless splash page.

PAGE 14
Another entire page that really only needed a couple of panels.

PAGE 15
See page 14

PAGE 16
Fight! Fight! About darned time too. And of course, you can tell it's a fight too because of all the groovy manga style speed lines. Of course, while my suspension of disbelief holds fast on panel one, it does drop a bit in panel four. Neat trick, Ultra Boy's speed lines getting where he is going before he does, you think?

I do like Lyle's "now you see me, now you don't" disappearing FX though.

PAGE 17
More fighting. Generally good stuff.

PAGE 18-19
Apparently, Ferro is now made of an alloy of Iron and Inertron. Fine by me.

But look at Karate Kid's fight with Triad at the bottom of page 18. Now turn the page and notice his "at last a test of skill" line. Now, wouldn't this line have made more sence back on the previous page when he engaged Triad in battle, instead of here where it looks like he pretty much has Lu on the ropes?

PAGE 20-21
Two more pages that might have been condenced into one, even if the drawings are nice, and page 21 does make a nice pin-up.

Page 22.
Fights over. Uni wins. Or will he? We'll find out in 30.

So those are my thought.... and yours?

<edited for spelling, grammar, and style>

[ August 03, 2003, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I mostly agree with your views, my quibble is why didn't Sensor project an illusion showing Val and Andy what was going on rather than just speaking to them?

Oh, and why did she have to throw Andy at Vi?

apart from that the art and colouring were great, the pacing was a bit better than of late and it's great to have Val back doncha think?

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Duking it out is a spoiler laden page-by-page review of The Legion #22, heavy on tangental comments, obscure references, and fanboy rantings...

My kind of review. [Big Grin]

quote:
PAGE 1
I like the idea of a "what has gone before" into page, except that it does take away a page of story. Once upon a time, writers were skilled at catching up new readers through diologue throught the story. That can get tedious when the complete story is read in one sitting, so I would not mind the into page if the Legion was getting regularly collected into trade paperbacks. In that case, the into page works great in the serialized version, and can just get cut in the collection. But since there have been no tpb's, I think I'd rather have the extra page of story.

Someone on these boards said they are planning to collect "Dream Crime" into a TPB.

Either way, I don't mind the catch-up pages. Mostly, they've been well-done and attractively designed.

However, that didn't stop DnA from having way too much exposition when Shikari was flying with Val and Sensor was walking with Andy. As you noted, there were many pages in # 22 that could have been condensed.

quote:
What strikes me most is the sound FX when Ferro taps his head. "Tang Tang" ?? Does this bring up a visual of a hollow container to anyone else? What are DnA trying to say about Ferro, exactly?
Now we know why Andy really has to wear the helmet. There's nothing underneath! [Laugh Out Loud]

Good review, Portfolio Boy. You noticed a lot of things that haven't been mentioned in other reviews (including my own). You have a very dry sense of humor.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Good review, Portfolio Boy.

Thanks! It's fun to have a receptive audience.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
And last, I wonder, as I have for several issues now, how exactly Shikari manages to stay in her costume. Looking at the bolt at her ankle, I wonder if her sides are supposed to be part of her clothing, even though they are colored the same as her skin tones. Colored the way she is, Shikari displayes a talent for remaining covered in improbable positions not seen in comics anywhere this side of Vamperilla! I still do think that her sides must be incorrectly colored costume, sort ofthe opposite of the late '70s when colorists, either through ignorance or editorial mandate, began coloring the girl Legionniare's to fill in certain areas of skin.

ITs costume, as shown by the fact that it stays grey when she armours up.

Why she would wear a costume the same colour as her skin - well your guess is as good as mine.

quote:
PAGE 10
Speaking of which, Shikari then launches into 20 questions with Val. The giant air jellyfish Val rides is a cool visual. And we get a sence of Val's inner nature. Despite all the Zen crap he has been spouting since the reboot we see in his "ten years is ten years" line that there is only so much inner peace a guy like him can take. Val is a man of action.

She and val arrive at the portal, which sits besides two Validus sized flight rings [Wink] and I have to wonder, why did he and Ferro assemble the thing is the desert. All that flying sand is generally not good for electronics. If it worked when Brainy sent it, is certainly should not work now.

There's actually a reason for this, if you look at Legion Worlds 5 - the priests are not fans of technology. Indeed, the ONLY piece(s) of tech they allow on the planet is the launch pad and the ships which come on it. Presumably, they wouldn't want the portal near them.

Similarly, Val realised back then that he was a "man of action." He only stayed because he didn't want to leave Ferro alone with the priests for ten years.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Boy:
...my quibble is why didn't Sensor project an illusion showing Val and Andy what was going on rather than just speaking to them?

Excellent idea! That certainly would have provided a better visual than the talking heads used instead.

Such a scene could also have been used in place of the static intro on page 1. It would have caught up new readers, and by seeing Val and Ferro's rections, regular readers would be helped to a new insight too.

quote:

Oh, and why did she have to throw Andy at Vi?

'Cause it's cool? [Smile]

Of course, your point does make me wonder something. In order to pick up Ferro, who in iron form must have a fair amount of mass, and then heave him across a room hard enough to make Vi emit funny ouchie noises, Sensor must posses a measure of super-stregth not hitherto displayed in the comics.

quote:
...it's great to have Val back doncha think?

Yeah, about time.

Too bad Steeple didn't have a resident alchemist that could have stood in for 'Kari in this story though...

[ August 03, 2003, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Portfolio Boy ]

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
Duking it out is a spoiler laden page-by-page review of THE LEGION #22, heavy on tangental comments, obscure references, and fanboy rantings...

Nice play on your middle name - is that the one you use normally?

COVER:
Wouldn't the cover that featured Shikari and Sensor have been better for this issue?

I didn't get the cover entirely - I thought this would have been the KK cover - either there's a reason for it, or the story communication got garbled in the Threshold to Jolly Roger, or they weren't that keen on an exact match.

Beyond that, while Dreamer's figure is fine ("yeah, baby") her head seems kinda weird. ...
Now to her costume. Shoulder pads in ladies fashion? That is SO 2980's. [Wink] And what is the story with the gaunlets?

I think there must be something going on with the gauntlets. They remind me of the torq jewels the Pashi Master gave the team. Dreamer is still gorgeous, a knock-out - but she seems to have a more serious side to her now. In the later pre-boot she was a flirt and a vamp who could, on occasion, be serious - now she seems to me to be a very serious, war-affected woman who happens to be beautiful.

A nice shot of all the Legionnaires as they arrive on Titan. Odd that they are apparently using the portals unaided. I thought a Kwai guide was required for this type of interplanetary travel?

Same thing on Steeple - there wasn't a Kwai guide to get the threshold machine there.

Why is Kid Quantum all the time the only one to wear a Legion jacket? Is this part of her official uniform now? Is the Legion leader required to wear the jacket?

Maybe she should tie the jacket around her waist. It's her lower half that's in need of covering.

I wonder if Shikari could use the portals to travel through time, as well as space, if she needed to? I mean, relativistically speaking, when one travels these vast distances through space, one is necessarily traveling through time anyway.

We had a discussion here awhile back about Shikari and time travel - some suggested that if a timestream was opened, she could find her way through it.

What strikes me most though is the sound FX when Ferro taps his head. "Tang Tang" ?? [Confused] ?? Does this bring up a visual of a hollow container to anyone else? What are DnA trying to say about Ferro, exactly?

Maybe it's part of his derformities that his forehead caves in there, leaving a space between the helmet and his skull.

Neat trick, Ultra Boy's speed lines getting where he is going before he does, you think?

Something else I missed! That's why these discussions add so much to my reading of the Legion!

And I seem to have erased your comment about Ferro being thrown by Sensor. Shee does appear to have a super-strong tail now; she was able to knock M'onel down in the last issue. The scene also reminds me of the one in which Wildfire throws Brainy - don't recall exactly which issue or what he was thrown at .... maybe the creators are into dwarf-tossing or this is some new Legion trend.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Okay, so now it's offical, Universo wants to take over all minds in the UP, eliminating individuality and creating one giant hive mind.
Just like the Blight.
Just like Singularity's White Triangle wannabee gang.
Just like Robotica.
Um, 'kay guys. New theme please.

A perfectly valid complaint, as long as you're not suggesting that Dream Crime is really about Universo. He's a cardboard villain and with only one more issue remaining in the arc, there's insufficient time to flesh him out. My opinion? Ultimately, Dream Crime is about what's going on inside Jeka and Imra. It's also a vehicle to manuever KK and Ferro back into the Legion, while illuminating their much-neglected characters a bit. And it's a prelude to Darkseid (I love the irony of Universo awakening Darkseid). Fans who think Universo is the central character of the arc will be disappointed when they read issue #23, imo.

quote:
One is that, in addition to continuing to hammer away at a single theme, DnA also fall into the trap typical of so many comics writers these days by needlessly dragging out their stories. When we get to the end of this issue, we will see that precious little in the way of plot has actually transpired.
Actually, I thought this issue moved the story along quite nicely with some very nice touches of characterization, and I marveled at the "useless" splash pages. I prefer arcs to self-contained issues. If the price includes padding the storyline a bit, I'm usually happy to pay it.

quote:
Next, I seem to notice, perhaps for the first time, that Sensor is actually quite naked, isn't she? Good thing DC does not rely on the Comics Code anymore, eh?
Boobs without nips don't count (see: Kinetix). There are no obvious reproductive organs in sight (see also: Kinetix).

quote:
Ferro reveals that the Steepletonians (?) have cured his injuries but that he is locked in iron form. I have to wonder why this development was deemed necessary? ? Is it supposed to add more angst to the character?
The answer may be as simple as this: Ferro's physical transformation is a response to fans' loudly-expressed disappointment that the post-boot character has been portrayed as a "wimp". Ferro's inner turmoil and self-doubt may continue unabated, but at least he doesn't LOOK like a wimp anymore. Funny, though, that we now have three characters -- Wildfire, Jeka and Ferro -- who are locked into forms they consider undesirable. Does anyone else suspect that Ferro's days may be numbered? I smell "tragic figure".

quote:
Good observation. I missed this. They're probably just transiting between Legion World and Titan, so maybe they're being guided by Universo's "psychic gestalt". {rolls eyes}

quote:
Fights over. Uni wins. Or will he? We'll find out in 30.
Jeka will show Universo that Imra is NOT the "only real threat" to him, plus we'll see more action from KK and Ferro. It wouldn't make sense for the writers to reintroduce these two characters after a 2-year hiatus just to have them take a nap in the next issue. How the storyline will be resolved vis-a-vis Imra's delusion might be the most interesting part of all.

[ August 03, 2003, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Sensor was also shown smashing a tank with her tail PRIOR to her transformation. This would indicate that she also has some degree of invulnerability, along with super strength.

I don't like it. There are already several Legionnaires with super strength or the equivalent, not to mention the plethora of super strong super heroes in comics in general. Sensor's illusion powers are formidable enough on their own without turning her into Super Snake. Next she'll be wearing a red cape and trying out for the LSP.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
There's actually a reason for this, if you look at Legion Worlds 5 - the priests are not fans of technology. Indeed, the ONLY piece(s) of tech they allow on the planet is the launch pad and the ships which come on it. Presumably, they wouldn't want the portal near them.

Ah, this one got by me. Good catch!
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Nice play on your middle name - is that the one you use normally?

Yeah, I'm only really William on payday. [Wink]
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium Crystal:
The answer may be as simple as this: Ferro's physical transformation is a response to fans' loudly-expressed disappointment that the post-boot character has been portrayed as a "wimp". Ferro's inner turmoil and self-doubt may continue unabated, but at least he doesn't LOOK like a wimp anymore.

You're right. Now he looks like a wimpy hood ornament. [Wink]

quote:
Funny, though, that we now have three characters -- Wildfire, Jeka and Ferro -- who are locked into forms they consider undesirable.

True. It might be a nice idea if DnA brought these three together in some way.

quote:
Does anyone else suspect that Ferro's days may be numbered? I smell "tragic figure".

I hope not. It's fun to have one character to be kick around. I mean, if one is going to be your favorite, then one necessarily has to be the least favorite, right?

And with Monstress gone, and Sensor being less prissy lately, the mantle falls to Ferro.

Actually, I'd pick on Kinetix, but she is just so sad and pitifull, I don't have it in me...

quote:
How the storyline will be resolved vis-a-vis Imra's delusion might be the most interesting part of all.

Ooohh, you think so? I had not considered the delusion might play any part in the larger story. Now, I'm racking my brains trying to figure out how.

Maybe Dreamer was somehome influencing the delusion? What characters played a part in it? Ultra Boy, Timber Wolf? XS?

Now, I have to dig that issue out a re-read it looking for clues!!

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Funny, though, that we now have three characters -- Wildfire, Jeka and Ferro -- who are locked into forms they consider undesirable.

True. It might be a nice idea if DnA brought these three together in some way.

Sure -- they could be the 31st century "Doom Patrol"
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

quote:
How the storyline will be resolved vis-a-vis Imra's delusion might be the most interesting part of all.

Ooohh, you think so? I had not considered the delusion might play any part in the larger story. Now, I'm racking my brains trying to figure out how.

Maybe Dreamer was somehome influencing the delusion? What characters played a part in it? Ultra Boy, Timber Wolf? XS?

Now, I have to dig that issue out a re-read it looking for clues!!

I don't want to read too much into it, but why would the writers devote an entire issue to Imra's fantasy state unless it were somehow integral to the storyline -- over and above keeping her "distracted" from Universo's plot? As for the exact role it might play, I'm at a loss to say, except that it's possible that Jeka will succeed in intruding upon her dream and use it somehow to spur Imra into action against Uni -- her wrath at being psychologically raped making her all the more powerful an adversary.

I could be way off track, however, and it's just the writers' way of introducing the long-term "repercussions" and "ramifications" they keep talking about whenever they mention their plans for Saturn Girl. It's obvious she's overdue for a dose of her own medicine, and that she has a lot of unresolved feelings to confront from her Legion Lost days. It's probably not a coincidence that Dream Crime opens with Imra seeking mental therapy. Maybe Universo's implanted dreamscapes will turn out to be more effective therapy than anything Aven could have given her, you know, "deep, dark, truthful mirror" as it says at the end of the last issue. At the very least, it's safe to say she won't emerge from the last dream unchanged.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked issue #22 overall. I thought it picked up the pace of the action for the arc conclusion in #23.

I agree with the unusual decision to put Dreamer on the cover. It would have been more appropriate to put her on #19 or #20.

I think the first page, recapping what has taken place, as well as the new Legion title head for this story arc is a concerted effort by DC to make this a start-up point for new readers. I'm all for it.

No one here has really mentioned the return of Universo himself, except once as a "cardboard cut-out" villian. I'm glad to see him return! Again, DnA has wisely glossed over his re-written origin (his relation to Saturn Girl as indicated in Universe Ablaze) and just portrayed him to be an extremely powerful Titanian telepath. I always thought Universo was an especially competent villian for the Legion, and he is holding his own in this series. I'm curious about the future fate of the Titanet Tower and Communication System for the UP if a villian can corrupt and use it the way Universo has.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.