Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » All right, get it out of your system: why I loathe Lori (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: All right, get it out of your system: why I loathe Lori
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Kids seldom seem to work in comics. Ironic, and maybe it's just me. But LM broke the record for annoying (worse than Koko, 'cause she had a brain, supposedly), cutesy, etc etc my brain shuts down at the very thought of her.

I can't think of a kid sidekick I can stand. And it's not an age thing - I never liked the kid superheroes like Robin and Speedy. Did she even ever do anything useful (without the H-dial, I mean?) Was this character supposed to appeal to kids who can't wait to grow up? If so, do they want to be reminded that they're kids, or do they identify with the older legionnaires?

Besides, where were social services with her? A ten-year old girl hanging out with, well, okay - 14-year olds. Not such a big difference. But having an obvious kid around and having legionnaires like XS actually spending down-time with her, seemed to make the team that much younger and frivolous.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I think maybe they just needed another character who would stick out her tongue on a regular basis.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LoriMorning
the greatest legionnare of them all

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LoriMorning   Email LoriMorning         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:
I think maybe they just needed another character who would stick out her tongue on a regular basis.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

[Razz]

From: Luna | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
This is all my fault. [Frown]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KOKO
KOKO! KOKO! KOKO!!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KOKO           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
This is all my fault.

KOKO!

--------------------
KOKO! KOKO!

From: Interplanetary Zoo | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Did she even ever do anything useful (without the H-dial, I mean?) Was this character supposed to appeal to kids who can't wait to grow up?

My biggest problem with Lori is that, and this is only an assumption mind you, she represents yet another abandoned storyline by the reboot creators. Mark Waid started the reboot strong, and I kinda wish he had stuck around longer. Once he left, the creators has a bad habit of second guessing themselves, and the readers, and kept abandoning storylines.

I have always presumed that Lori was introduced to become Glorith, but that the creators either delayed, or abonded all together, the idea when fans made it clear they knew what was coming.

And so, like Kinetix, she has just kind of wandered around the Legion Universe aimlessly ever since....

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
We can only hope that she got hit by some hypertaxis energy and was transformed into Lori Evening, sultry (adult) cabaret singer who puts in an occasional background appearance.

Lori becoming Glorith - now that was a really subtle sub-plot. It's not like they dropped any hints. THank heavens it didn't happen, knock on space-wood. It would be a travesty. Of course, I rather like Glorith (the TMK and '80s Legion version - not the Lori of the Valor series) so I don't want her tampered with.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
I just thought she was shit [Big Grin]
From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't want the Lori Morning character around because it is just bad form to kill off kids, and that is what must happen to her.

Kill, Kill, Kill 8 by 10 glossies and all that.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rex Viridian
Heir to the Eye

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rex Viridian           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LoriMorning:
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3003:

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

[Razz]

You see, dummy, that's exactly why they HATE you (me? whatever!) Don't you get it! Acting like a juve doesn't win you any brownie points! You have to act mature, like me, in order to get on their good side!

[Razz]

PS: Oh, yeah, who said you could register with my name? As if they won't know it's not me! HAH! [Mad]

--------------------
Rank hath it's privileges

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Lori Evening! Tee hee!!!

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ultrajo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ultrajo   Author's Homepage   Email ultrajo         Edit/Delete Post     
One could hope she was banished to the farthest corners of the Phantom (Twilight?) Zone and never to return.

A character best left alone and/or forgotten.

From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, I have no interest in seeing Lori again.

Now Glortih on the other hand, I really want to appear and her origin should be shrouded in mystery.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The problem with young children in comics is that they generally don't have much to do. They certainly don't normally have much connection to the main plotlines. So they either become extremely minor characters or they get really repetitive really fast.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Ok, I admit it -- I hate her because she's beautiful!!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.