Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a Legion issue (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a Legion issue
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
First time you bought an issue, most recent time, or somewhere in between....
An issue you loved, an issue you didn't, or one that was ho-hum....
A shopping trip that was unusual in some way or one that was routine....

The circumstances don't matter. So go on, tell your story!

As you might be able to tell from some of my other posts, I've been re-reading the LSV War.

I bought part 4, ToLSH 329, in a newsstand/gift shop in the San Francisco airport in late August 1985. There were flat comic book racks on a large square pillar in the shop. I think I would have preferred to find a new Titans or New Mutants but they weren't out yet. I think this was the only comic I bought.

It's funny...I seem to remember that the racks faced left (if viewed looking in from the outside) but I don't recall reading the issue. The story, yes, but not the act of reading it.

Quick recap of my history & how this fits in: introduced to LSH through a couple dozen quarter bin issues in 1983-4. First new issue bought was 320. My next new issue was 324. I thought it was dull. Picked up Baxter 14 because I liked the cover (still do), and I enjoyed that story (still do). I also picked up with the newsprint issues at the start of the LSV War reprint. The story was new to me because I hadn't read the originals. After 329 I stopped buying largely due to lack of funds.

I think of the LSV War as THE Legion story - probably because I read it in my own personal golden age.

PS on ToLSH 329: in the last year or two I had a phrase in my head that I knew was from a comic but I couldn't remember where. It was Ayla's Don't ask the price of a gift, momma said -- just take it. And while the biggest thing to happen in the issue is Karate Kid's death, what grabs me is the very last panel of Ayla standing at the controls of a spaceship. And one is coming back, to risk her life for theirs.

[ January 02, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Leap Year Lass ]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I remember once having a dream about looking at the cover of a comic book that showed Superboy staring into a mirror and a distorted or demonic image of himself looking back. It was a haunting image that I remembered for several years.

Then one day I was looking through the back issue bins at a comic book store here in Kansas City (long before I even moved here), when I came across a copy of SUPERBOY # 184. The cover showed Superboy looking into mirror with an image of an old, decrepit and wild-haired version of himself staring back. Needless to say, I was flabbergasted.

(The cover story, by the way, had nothing to do with the Legion, though the issue did feature a Legion backup tale, the infamous Matter-Eater Lad's-brother-frames-him-for-treason story.)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Last year at some big convention here in NYC I found a stack of old "Superboy and the LSH" issues in a 25 cent bin. Nobody seemed to be working the table though -- it was kinda stuck in a corner and since it was a 25 cent table, I guess the guy didn't care. I (and another guy) walked around for a few minutes trying to find someone to pay, but didn't see anyone so I just put them in my bag and walked away.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
In December 1981 I was picking up chips and dip at a 7-Eleven, and happened upon a spinner rack -- they were common in those days, kids, believe it or not. It had a new issue of the Legion quite prominently displayed. ("LSH" v2 n284, March 1982, "Soul-Thief from the Stars.")

The Legion? Wasn't that the story with that raft of characters a hundred years from now, or was it a thousand, that I followed in the late '60s for a while? My mind, not used to thinking of comics, was fuzzy. Four years of college does that to you {g}

Anyway, they were showing off these great form-fitting outfits, even though they were being blown out of a satellite hospital. Costuming has sure improved in a dozen years, hasn't it? I thought.

And then I saw this gorgeous winged woman tumbling through the cover scene, off to the side. Where did she come from? I thought. I didn't remember her. Wings, mmmm ... I went, imitating Homer Simpson, even though he didn't yet exist. I'd been thrilled by 'em in art for those same dozen years in the interim.

I think I'll pick this one up, I thought. I glanced inside, to see this lovely girl flying through space next to this handsome but faceless brash Noo Yawker type, and without a spacesuit ... and I was hooked.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I grew up in the very small town of Prairie Home, Missouri (population 215). As a kid I bought most of my comic books at the local drug store. It was run by the only pharamist in town, Carl Lankop and his wife Nellie. The store employed Nellie's sisters Carolyn and Esther. Esther was in charge of comic books. Occasionally she would let me sneak into the back room and would sell me outdated comic books for a nickel. These always had the title cut off the cover. I later realized that Esther had been dealing post consignment returns on the sly, but as a kid I just knew I was getting a heck of a deal on comics. On of those purcahses made me a Legion fan for life. It was "100 Pages for only 60 cents" Superboy and Legion of Super-Heroes #202.

Years later, as an adult, I was living in San Diego, California. A guy I was dating sent me flowers for our six month anniversary. Attached to the flowers was a card with a $15.00 gift certificate to a local comic shop. At the comic shop I found a beautiful near mint copy of Superboy/LSH #202 for 13 bucks. I purcahsed it with my gift certificate. I now have both my yellowed, torn, 3/4 cover copy and my beautiful full cover copy bagged, boarded and holding special places in my comic book collection.

[ August 23, 2011, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
"I later realized that Esther had been dealing post consignment returns on the sly [...]"

I wonder what the statue of limitations is on this. [Eek!]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Esther's Black Market Backroom Comicon!

I have to wonder what she did with the nickels. Save up and buy herself something pretty?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I distinctly remember S/LSH # 238-- yep, the issue that was a reprint of parts 1 & 2 of THE OUTLAWED LEGIONNAIRES.

I had some early familiarity with LEGION reprints (S/LSH 205 & 208 being my earliest exposures to the Legion-- as well as some reprint comic that reprinted the ADULT LEGION saga-- complete with hokey "Luther & Mylxtplxetilk or however it's spelled joining the Legion-- and ECHO-- and BEAUTY BLAZE-- and BALD STAR BOY-- but I digress...)

Anyhoo, I remember reading this story and realizing right away it was a reprint.... 'cause of the old costumes and the Swan art-- BOY was I swift!

AND THEN-- I got to the letter's page-- and they were APOLOGIZING for running this ABSOLUTE CLASSIC LEGION STORY-- and there I sat in the parking lot of Montesi's supermarket awaiting my Grandmother's (who bought me the issue as she did ALL of my comics back then) return, totally stunned that any apology was even semi-deemed necessary for this great story.

And to this day, I give "THE OUTLAWED LEGION" a grade of 100-- A++!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I agree about "The Outlawed Legion," Lash.

In those days, back issues seemed out of my reach. The nearest comics shop was 60 miles away (ironically, the same shop is now about 11 blocks from where I live, yet I almost never go there -- too many other comic book shops around). And back issues cost an unheard-of sum of three or four dollars! So, anytime DC would reprint a classic Legion tale for regular cover price was a good thing. A good thing, indeed.

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
when I was around 8 or 9 - can't remember exactly - my best friend influenced me to read the Legion that he brought them to the Elementary school and we read the book together and talked about those heroes - my favorites was Brainiac 5 and Superboy while his favorite was Element Lad and Mon-El. I was envious of him because he bought those books (with the aid of his father, I am sure). I asked him where he bought them - he simply said "7-11" - I gasped and my light bulb popped saying that we have a 7-11 store near our home (we were living in Miami, Fla)...so when I went home and I was waiting for my Dad to arrive home from his work. I cleaned out the whole house (yeah!!! took out the garbage - much to my Mom's pleasure I am sure - made my bed, fed my dog, vaccuumed the living room, etc) and sat outside on the front porch waiting for my Dad. Then my Dad arrived home and he was looking at me wondering why I was sitting out there and giving him a puppy-look face. He thought that I was a bad boy and did something wrong...heck he was wrong when he spoke with my mom. I asked him to take me to the 7-11 and begged him saying "please please please"...finally he gave in my enthusiasm and my stubborn too. I swore to him that I would clean the dishes so that's the only way I could convince him to take me to 7-11.

I was so excited and enthused to ride with my Dad to 7-11. When we arrived there, I got out and zoomed inside and scouted around finding where the comics books were at. There I found it and I gasped a big time - looking at how many comics books they had in the rack...oh...oh...Justice League of America...oh...oh...Superman...Batman...Iron Man....finally Superboy and the Legion !!! My Dad was standing behind me and waiting for me to pick two books (as our agreement)...I got to pick up Justice League of America and Legion of SuperHeroes!!! Legion was my first pick ever and it was number 230 - "the day a Universe dies" starring Fatal Five...my dad bought it and I was sooo like in heaven..read and read all over again.

I even brought it to the school to show off to my best friend and I was so proud and we talked about it and even role played it. Ah...so my first issue was #230 with the aid of my Dad. [love]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Many moons ago I was passing thru Peekskill, NY when I saw a comic book store.
I decided to stop in, to see if they had anything I could add to my modest Legion collection. After looking around for a while, I found a stack of those giant books, like the ones that featured Superman vs. Spiderman and Superman vs. the Hulk and Superman vs. Muhammed Ali! At the bottom was the LSH issue featuring the marrage of Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad, in great condition. I quickly scooped it up, checking to see if I had enough funds to cover it (I figured around $25-$30). When I went to purchase the book, the sales person charged me the original cover price - $1.50. Upon leaving the store, I heard the manager yelling at the salesperson about their actual selling prices of those books - $50!

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Sometime last year I pulled LSH 301 out of a CBS quarter box. Quarter bin deja vu! I remember looking at in the bargain bin nearly 20 years ago but passing because I didn't like the cover.

I know now that it's the first tribute to Adventure 301, which was beautiful. And I also like v4n41, the second tribute. But this one...just doesn't come together for me. I'm trying to figure out what it is. Colors? Background/lack of?

numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
Very sad and tramatic story...I was in Grade 8 (1982-1983) and this was around the time that Adventure Comics had gone to Digest format (man oh man do I miss that). During a lunch break in my dad's classroom, without warning he tore up my Digests. It was the one with the Legion vs. Urthlo (Luthor's killer robot), the one where Mon-El was freed from the Phantom Zone and saved the Legion. I have about half a dozen of the Adventure Comics (in crappy condition, mind you) plus some of the Legion single issues of the Blue Ribbon digest. Though I've never been able to replace the digests that have been destroyed by my old man, and he did everything from threatening to see the man I bought comics from ("Selling comics to a minor"--Get real, eh?) every week to taking all my comic boxes and sealing them in one of our basement storage rooms several times throughout my high school and college years, I love the Legion (in all its' forms) even more and that is something that heartless semprini can never take from me!

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
numberonelegionfan
Defender Of The Legacy Of Rassilon (Gallifrey:Planet Of The Time Lords)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for numberonelegionfan   Author's Homepage   Email numberonelegionfan         Edit/Delete Post     
bump

--------------------
The best way to find out where you're from is to find out where you're going and then work backwards.
Where are you going?
I don't know!

Spooooooon!!!

From: London, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tab Lloyd
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tab Lloyd   Email Tab Lloyd         Edit/Delete Post     
My first post.

First time I purchased a Legion issue, it was at the drug store a few blocks from my home. An issue of Adventure, where the legion is in a POW camp (I have the Archive with the issue, but it's late and I don't feel like looking it up for the issue number). Bought any I could find after that.

Second time around, was Superboy and LSH 197 (THAT issue number I remember!) with Timberwolf on the cover. The whole neighborhood flipped over the book.

Third time was in college. I had stopped buying all comics except Cerebus after highschool, mainly because I had no money. But in my senior year, a friend in the dorm had just purchased the Giffen poster and said I had to start reading the book again - picked up 300 new and grabbed the Great Darkness Saga in back issue bins. They were pricey but worth it.

Final first time (yeah, I know) was the "Five Years Later" first issue. Once again slowed comic buying because of the birth of my oldest but by this time he was getting into comics so we went to the shops. He wanted the Knightfall issues of Batman (Because it's Batman, dad!) and I saw the new Legion and picked it up.

I have no favorite era, love them all - including the Giffen Bierbaum (sp?) stuff. Which I gather here means I'm in the minority. But I saw it as a perfect end to the legion I loved. Like the final chapter of a novel. I don't read the re-boot stuff (or re-re-boot. or re-re-re-re...you get the picture) because as far as I'm concerned, my Legion is done. The doesn't mean I don't pull out the Archives. Or the back issues I've been working on picking up (great store in Vegas just had a sale - 6 issues for $5. Almost wrapped up Vol.3 that way)

Anyway, my way of saying hi and I'll post if I think I can contribute something.

Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.