Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

This topic has been moved to Bits o' Legionnaire Business.     next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » 21st Century Legion (Page 1)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: 21st Century Legion
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Just an idea to play around with:

Reinvent the Legion as a 21st century (Earth-based) super-hero team. How would it work stripped of its futuristic sci-fi setting? What would the new origins of the characters be? What would the series be like? Should it be part of the mainstream DCU, or an alternate reality?

[ March 13, 2004, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting exercise, Eryk. I'll do the first part.

Let's start out with the Ranzz origin. Since it's unlikely for them to have landed on the planet Korbal, I postulate that twins Garth and Eileen Raines and their older brother Mark were vacationing on a boat when they came upon an island somewhere in the Carribbean. It was a secret outpost for a clandestine government and was populated by mechanical "lightning beasts" that protected its secret lair. Garth (or Eileen, take your pick) got the idea to use the beasts to recharge the boat's motor, but the move backfired and, well, you know the rest of the story.

Mark Raines, realizing the enormous power he now possessed, left their farm home near Winthrop, Kansas. Garth took a plane to the the city of Metropolis to search for him. And that's where he ran into ...

[ February 29, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
Interesting exercise, Eryk. I'll do the first part.

Let's start out with the Ranzz origin. Since it's unlikely for them to have landed on the planet Korbal, I postulate that twins Garth and Eileen Raines and their older brother Mark were vacationing on a boat when they came upon an island somewhere in the Carribbean. It was a secret outpost for a clandestine government and was populated by mechanical "lightning beasts" that protected its secret lair. Garth (or Eileen, take your pick) got the idea to use the beasts to recharge the boat's motor, but the move backfired and, well, you know the rest of the story.

Mark Raines, realizing the enormous power he now possessed, left their farm home near Winthrop, Kansas. Garth took a plane to the the city of Metropolis to search for him. And that's where he ran into ...

great start HWW !!!! but i'll let someone else continue .....

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll take a stab at Saturn Girl.

Checkmate in conjunction with STAR Labs and Camus are trying to develope superpowered operatives. Young Irma Ardeen has tested high in telepathic tests. Through a series of trainings, meditations, and chemical therapy, She has become the premier telepath at Checkmate.

However, her power gives her access to the plans for various government leaders and how they would use her and any knowledge that she can gather for them. She is able to destroy all records of her time at Checkmate (etc.) and plants a subconscious command that they are to forget about her.

While flying to Metropolis, she encounters.....

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Aboard the plane bound for Metropolis, Garth Raines encounters Rex Kline, a high school basketball champion from Braydon, MN, who was known back home as "Cosmic Boy" for his amazing feats on the court. What no one knows is that Rex and his younger brother, Paul, have amazing magnetic powers, due to their father's exposure to an experimental form an electromagentic radiation in the laboratory where he worked.

Rex's college scholarship was cancelled when Braydon was hit by an economic downturn. So, with the last of the money he's saved, Rex is flying to Metropolis to look for a job. On board, he and Garth spot two other passengers, a gorgeous blonde named Imra Ardeen and ...

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Billionaire transportation mogul R.J. Brande, on his way home from a meeting with Bruce Wayne, with whom he discussed some revolutionary technology his company has developed based on a recovered boom tube.

But after thoroughly covering its tracks, Luthor Corp. has sent assassins to off R.J. and steal the technology for Lex Luthor.

While deplaning with her two new friends (and isn't that redhead a cutie?), Irma gets a mental image of what the assassins are about to do. She warns Garth and Rex, who use their powers to disable the crooks, who, of course, have no knowledge who their real employer is.

After heaping them with thanks, R.J. turns to his assistant and ward, Lorna Durgo (no Lorna Doone jokes, please) of Carthage, Mo., and says, "Get these kids names and numbers. I want to see them in my office first thing tomorrow morning. I see great things in their future."

[ March 02, 2004, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Suddenly Seymour ]

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Meanwhile, a young woman of the European aristocracy is chafing under her mother's strict control. As daughter to the U.N. Ambassador, Tamara Wazzo (I couldn't use "Tonya", could I?) enjoys New York but longs for adventure and romance. Although her family had long practiced a branch of witchcraft which permitted them to become phantoms, Tamara has only used this power in the secrecy of her home. She believes she could use her abilities to help people, if only she knew where to begin - and could get away from her mother.
From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
*INTERLUDE*
I just wanted to say I'm loving this guys! Keep it coming!
*END INTERLUDE*

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
After working late into the evening, Lorna Durgo has finally identified and tracked down the three "kids' names and numbers" and has arranged a meeting with R.J. for them at 10:00 AM the following morning. In order to accomplish this, she has had to put off tons of work that keeps accumulating on her desk.

Sighing at the long night that awaits her, she dials the phone to order Chinese food. As she places the order she gently strokes the latest addition to her "genie" lamp collection, which is displayed in the place of honor on her desk (reserved for her latest acquisition.)

As she waits for the restaurant employee to take her order, she sighs again and wistfully thinks "I wish I could split into three so I could keep up with all this work." There is a sudden, brilliant flash of light followed by billowing smoke, both of which combine to leave her momentarily blind.

As the smoke and her sight clears, she sees her reflection in the mirror across the room...but she's seeing triple! Or is she? Looking to her sides, she realizes that her wish has been granted by the magic "genie" lamp! There are now three of her!!!! She's triplets!

[ March 02, 2004, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Varalent ]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
The 16-year old boy loved his part-time job at the costume rental shop. He had always enjoyed disguising himself as somebody else, imitating voices and mannerisms to perfection. Was it the role-playing or the subterfuge that was so appealing? His father, an undercover cop, thought the boy had a great talent for disguise and deception - and encouraged him, teaching him the tricks of the trade. Reed Daggly planned to follow in his father's footsteps someday, although, at this point in his life, he didn't know if he wanted to put in the years required to be assigned to undercover work.

It was a slow Saturday afternoon at the store, and Reed spent some time looking through a newspaper. His attention was captured by a story about three teens who had saved a rich businessman...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I was just thinking that certain Legionnaires' origins would not need to be changed at all or very much.

Colossal Boy - Just change the vacation to someplace other than Mars - Inhales fumes from strange Meteor
Ferro Lad - Mutant with disfigured face - post-boot origin puts him in the 21st century anyhow
Invisible Kid - invents invisiblity serum
Sun Boy - locked in experimental reactor by father's disgruntled employee
Karate Kid - trained by sensei
Bouncing Boy - ingested experiemnetal synthetic rubber formula.

Any others that wouldn't need to be changed?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, there's also that offshoot of the Ute tribe that lived downwind of the U.S. government's Nevada Atomic Test Site, and got more than a normal dose of radiation. Fortunately, though, rare chemicals in their water supply diverted the particles into having nearly entirely benign effects, and the last three generations seem to have been growing bigger and bigger wings on their backs.

Nobody could take photos of these people, though, as the radiation in the area both made visitors sick and screwed up the film in their cameras. Still, one particular family had also gained what a particularly desperate reporter for the Enquirer mis-described as "psychic powers ..."

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Proty II
The Weirdo Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Proty II   Author's Homepage   Email Proty II         Edit/Delete Post     
Meanwhile, in Carlsbad, California, Jose Rimbaud has paddled his surfboard out to catch the waves. All his friends heeded the reports that advised against surfing in the high storm surf, but "Surfer Jo", as he was known in the community, couldn't resist the swells.

Now Jonah is a pretty strong swimmer, but this morning the waves are pretty strong even for him. He misjudges the wave and it throws him down, deep beneath the surface. For a moment he's too disoriented to know which way is up. He swallows some water and for the first time he starts to think that just maybe he might have made a mistake.

He desperately swims for the light but something seems to be sucking him down. It feels like he's in a whirlpool and darkness surrounds him. GULP.

He's washed up...somewhere...in a dank cave lit by phosphorescent fish. It stinks. It really, really stinks. He notices that the water is acidic and seems to be eating away his neoprene suit. He climbs up on a pile of flopping fish and tries to figure out just what has happened to him.

...to be continued.

--------------------
Yes, but now I'm back! I'm back FROM the future!

Vist Hyperion Ranch!
Guided tours of Chateau Crowbar now available!

http://hometown.aol.com/kidcrowbar/myhomepage/ranch.html

From: Hyperion Ranch, California | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Sally Digby is the shy but intelligent daughter of a faculty member at Ivy University. There she befriends Professor Ray Palmer, aka the Atom, and learns of his ability to shrink in size. Without Palmer's knowledge, she repeats the same process that gave him his powers. Fortunately, there are no side effects and she is able to shrink to sub-atomic size with no problems. It is also there that she meets a prodigy by the name of Lyle...
From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Quentin Docks was the fifth - and only successful - product of a designer baby program, code-named Brainiac, conducted by a black-ops division of Star Labs. The genetic manipulation raised the boy's intelligence far beyond that of any other human being, but he still lacked the social skills that developed throughout childhood. Both parents were totally absorbed in their work at Star Labs and regarded him more as a successful experiment than a child.

Quentin grew up on his own, with free reign to pursue whatever interested him within the confines of the premises, quickly surpassing the best scientists. The directors began to get nervous as the years passed and wondered if they could possibly control him as he reached his teen years. They began to look around for a way to unload the boy and wash their hands of whatever he might do in the future. Someone suggested the maverick R.J. Brande might be interested in hiring him....

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.