Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Super Drag-Queens... of Space! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Super Drag-Queens... of Space!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
We know Ayla was comics' first transvestite.

She was quickly followed by Brainy and Sun Boy, iirc.

And honorary (or whatever) Legionnaire Jimmy Olsen was no stranger to high heels and silk panties, either!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't Cham ever take a female shape? I can't recall any, but why not? (That doesn't exactly make a drag-queen, but we could stretch the rules.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, if we're counting Cham, then he's our first transvestite.

He played Cos' newlywed wife in "The Fanatstic Spy," ADVENTURE COMICS #303, Dec. 1962. They are sent by the Science Police to deliver a tiny Doomsday Bomb to the United Nations Weapons Arsenal on the other side of the World.

Cosmic Boy, "Use your super-disguise power to change into a girl, NOW!! I'll wear glasses and a blond wig!"

Chameleon Boy, "We're going to put on a "lovey-dovey" act to fool everyone, but don't overdo it, buster, or...POW!

Who knew that Rokk and Reep were so kinky.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'd forgotten about that scene!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Cham also became a female Sklarian in LSH v3 #9.

Tenzil became one in LEGIONNAIRES #13 & 14.

Color Kid switched in LEGION OF SUBSTITUTE HEROES SPECIAL #1.

Of course there's the controversial LSH v4 #31 with Shvaughn/Sean Erin.

Just to keep some of the gender-bending straight. So to speak.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

So, do you all think Ayla counts as comics' first cross-dreesser or no?

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Comics? No.

Madame Fatal holds that honor.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Who is Madame Fatal?

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

The Encyclopedia of Superheroes, 1985 -

quote:

MADAM FATAL

Alter Ego: Richard Stanton
First Appearance: 1940, Crack Comics #1, Quality Comics.
Costume: White wig; granny glasses; brown jacket, hat, skirt, shoes.
Tools and Weapons: Walking stick to slug adversaries.
Biography: When his daughter is kidnapped, actor Richard Stanton dresses up as a "simple old lady" in order to track her down without attracting attention. [ [LOL] ] The disguise is so effective that after the case is solved, he continues to fight crime as a cross-dresser. Stanton lives alone with his parrot Hamlet.
Quote: "Oh, dear me...how I do ramble on for an old lady."
Comment: This strip ran for nearly two years. While no more or less bizarre than men who wear capes and cowls, Madam Fatal was still a singularly unusual character.

I wonder why Roy Thomas never had him join the All-Star Squadron? [Big Grin]
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's not forget the issue where some of the guys dress up in the gals "new" Grell outfits in an attempt to convince Saturn Girl that she isn't a member.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Lash covered that one, Vee. And it was Princess Projectra they were fooling and before Grell came to the strip. It was drawn by Win Mortimer. Saturn Girl's bikini look was designed by Legion Fan K. Haven Metzger of Columbia City, IN.

[ May 02, 2004, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Lash covered that one, Vee. And it was Princess Projectra they were fooling and before Grell came to the strip. It was drawn by Win Mortimer. Saturn Girl's bikini look was designed by Legion Fan K. Haven Metzger of Columbia City, IN.
Boy, I really screwed that one up! I claim temporary insanity! [Eek!]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Don't be too hard on yourself. I have the Archives right next to me. [Big Grin]

[ May 02, 2004, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

We need Saturn Lad and Prince Projectur smiles! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Madam Fatal? No wonder Frederick Wertham went off the deep end.
From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.