Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I mean, couldn't Char Burrane just have come up with another name? It's not like Starfinger was really a big name villain, or that the name was so intrinsically cool that it by its nature it struck fear into the heart of the Legionnaires.

Yet you get this whole war between rival gangs over the name! What gives?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
One of the BLAH-er storylines of the Baxter era.

Me? I prefer the name "Spacefinger"!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I mean, if I were going to kill a villain and steal his name, I think I'd pick someone like the Persuader.

I mean, compare:

"Look that's the new Persuader!"

"The guy who killed the old Persuader?"

"Yeah! He's one badnass!"

versus:

"Look that's the new Starfinger!"

"Who?"

"The guy who killed the old Starfinger!"

"Who?"

"You know, that guy who once kidnapped half of Duo Damsel!"

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I suppose it could be worse. I mean... he could have thought to himself, "I, Char Burrane, will adopt the villainous identity of Vibrex II!"

[ July 06, 2004, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Where's the Vibrex smiley...? The all-VIBREX thread...? [Wink]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Vi-Brek? Now that might be interesting...

If she had his powers also, and was stuck at 6 inches or less, she could use the codename SNOWFLAKE! [Shudder] [Embarrassed]

....MAAAAYbe not... [Big Grin]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Starfinger, Badfinger, Goldfinger, Butterfinger...

I'd give the originators of all these names the finger.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
For the sake of argument, shouldn't the original be called Starfingers, seeing as how he used all four and his thumb with his powers? [Wink]

-finger does seem like an overplayed suffix for a 60s villain. But Starhand or Stardigit sound incredibly silly, I suppose.

More people should have fought over the powers and equipment/weapons than the name.

Pov

I blame Bill Finger... even though I'm sure he had nothing to do with ANY of them... [Wink]
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Lad Kid
part-time lurker

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Super Lad Kid   Email Super Lad Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps he should be updated for the new millenium and be called Starmember?

Maybe not.

From: Michigan | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Super Lad Kid:
Perhaps he should be updated for the new millenium and be called Starmember?

I can distort your powers with various rays from my... [LOL]
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Could have been worse, he could have been "Pullmyfinger".

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

That was Gas Girl's original codename. [Gas Girl]
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL] [Disgusting]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a good example of why you shouldn't tamper with an original creation. I didn't even remember that there had ever been a second Starfinger until recently, when I was going through some back issues.

It makes no sense that a new villain would want to use an old villain's name. But that's comic book logic for you.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.