Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over?
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Where's the Vibrex smiley...? The all-VIBREX thread...? [Wink]

[Vibrex, Master of Vibration]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
No.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
It makes no sense that a new villain would want to use an old villain's name. But that's comic book logic for you.

Comic books are always reusing names. Nightwing was originally Superman's alias when fighting crime with Jimmy Olsen in the bottle city of Karnak. Jimmy was known as Flamebird, which is now the name of a blonde bombshell tennis player from L.A. who wanted to be a superhero so she could meet Robin because she'd had a crush on him since before she was rewritten, back when she was the niece of Batwoman aka Kathy Kane!

Ow, my freakin' head... [Confused]

[ July 26, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Flannel Lass ]

From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Flannel Lass:
quote:

Comic books are always reusing names.
True. But it still makes no sense. [Smile]

At least Marvel's heroic Black Knight was related to the villainous Black Knight. And the name "Power Man" was generic enough that Luke Cage probably didn't realize that Erik Josten had it first. A case could even be made that since Dick Grayson knew and admired Superman, he wanted to use one of his cast-off identities (I don't recall if that was the rationale or not).

But for an unrelated villain to appropriate the name of the first Starfinger just makes no sense to me. It would be like someone calling himself Unabomber II.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
But for an unrelated villain to appropriate the name of the first Starfinger just makes no sense to me.

And especially to kill the previous villain with the name, just so he could have it.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am in the middle in this. Starfinger (both versions) were pretty bad. Like the topic suggests did we really need an attempt at a 2nd or 3rd Starfinger? Luckily many of the loser villains in Legion lore aren't used again.

I think it's cool reusing parts of the mythology as long as it doesn't get too complicated. I rather have a new character reuse a codename than the villain be ressurrected 10 times.

When it comes to the Legion and their vast history...it's fun to use some of the past but ultimately we have learned it can get very complicated...and may not be worth it...especially when it revolves around any "starfinger". [Wink]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
A case could even be made that since Dick Grayson knew and admired Superman, he wanted to use one of his cast-off identities (I don't recall if that was the rationale or not).

Actually, Superman told Dick "an old Kryptonian story" about a hero who was known only as Nightwing.

quote:
But for an unrelated villain to appropriate the name of the first Starfinger just makes no sense to me. It would be like someone calling himself Unabomber II.
Meh. People are strange that way. Maybe they just couldn't think of one themself, or wanted to be known as all badnass for killing someone to take his name...
From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think each appearance of Starfinger should include an all-new bad guy with the name. Like a run-on joke, with each Starfinger getting harder to beat, although the occasionally crappy one gives for good comedy.

Imagine: Starfinger VII is a major baddie, yet Starfinger VIII is a quick four page beat-down by Timberworlf. Starfinger IX is a girl, Starfinger X is some weird alien creature that actually leads into a major alien invasion a la Earth War...

Why, this joke could go on well into the 22nd Century if the Legion is still being written then!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Jeepers, Cobie! With ideas like that you may get that co-plotting job on MEL:TS yet!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks EDE! My brain has been secreting extra creative juices lately!

(However, my spelling remains unaffected. Who knows if I spelt secrete right?! [Smile] )

I really like that Starfinder idea! Co-plotting MEL:TS would be an honor beyond honors!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, it could be a legacy name just like Starman/boy/girl etc. Get James Robinson on the phone, somebody. Let's retcon in a Golden Age Starfinger to get the ball rolling.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I gotta agree Cobalt Kid that's a great idea! Have Starfinger as a running joke...every few years a new loser shows up and the Legion beat him in a few panels and then make fun of him. [Smile]

Jorge

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Let-Down Lad
Fails to live up to expectations, no matter how low!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Let-Down Lad   Email Let-Down Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if the Starfinger name was worth fighting for, but wasn't the idea that the Hanscoms and the Buranes were like two feuding hillbilly tribes from the space Ozarks? They're the Mcoys and the Hatsfields (?) of the stars.

--------------------
"Suit yourself, John. But real men wear pants, y'know?"--King Faraday in DC: New Frontier

From: Montreal | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, but I think the origins of the feud are with Burrane killing Hanscom. If he hadn't been so gung-ho on the name, there'd be no feud!
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Still, it could only have improved Char Burrane if there'd been some weird alien hillbilly playing "Dueling Space-Banjoes" behind him at all times.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.