Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Was the "Starfinger" name really worth fighting over?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Chuck made sure Tenzil and Cos promised to never speak about that trip!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
If memory serves, Burrane found a star ring during an escape from prison on Mars. With the ring worn on his finger, the name "Starfinger" was an obvious choice. Now, your average citizen might say "Shucks, too bad the Starfinger name is already taken. I'll have to go with Ring Guy..." but Char was a nasty SOB and choose to kill the original owner, lay claim to all the rights to the Starfinger name, steal his internet address, etc.
Was it right to do? No, but there's bad guys for you. It makes perfect sense to me.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know. He could just have easily named himself "Starro the Conqueror!" I mean... that guy's probably already dead, and was really a much bigger villain in his day.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, here's the thing. It's like the old west, when some young whippersnapper would come along and try to take down the fastest draw, the best shot...etc...

Taking down a known name gave them a certain amount of respect. So, if you are the new starfinger, and people know you got rid of the old one, you are automatically tougher. True or not, that is how a lot of people see things.

This would give you a base you might not have had to begin to grow your own rep, even using the old name.

Or, they could just be nuts.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Yeah, but then my point is that Starfinger wasn't exactly a big time villain... I mean, his most successful scheme required hypnotising Lightning Lad to do his bidding...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I still like the idea of there being many Starfingers through the years. Some being major villians, some throwaway one-issue ones.

This way, each new Legion writer that is going to stay for a long run can have his own 'Starfinger' story!

(Just a quick plug for my idea on the previous page [Wink] )

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe we're overlooking something. Maybe the total lameness of the name Starfinger is sort of a stab at reverse psychology. Anyone who is crazy enough to try to be a big time crime lord with the dopey name Starfinger must really have something up his sleeve.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

So, after thinking about this subject more, what would've made the whole fight over the Starfinger name story worthwhile would have been if Lars Hanscom came back from the dead and eliminated the pretender. After all, the guy *was* obsessed with achieving immortality. If any Legion villain could've come back, it would've been him.

Maybe Garth could've had some sort of post-hypnotic suggestion to revive him if anything ever happened to him?

Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
or... Proty VIII could take his place and Saturn Girl could use her mental powers to help "convince" everyone he's the real Lars Hanscom

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I think Starfinger (both versions) was a cool character. As ruthless gang leaders, they were both able to give the Legion a handful of trouble in each of their original appearances.

I discount the S&LOSH #200 story because Starfinger really didn't have his gang with him, under the minimalist writing style of Cary Bates. A more appropriate villian in that story would have been Nemesis Kid - an alchemist looking for a way to overcome his weakness of defeat by numerous opponents by creating multiple versions of himself would have made more sense!

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Korbal
The Lightning World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Korbal   Email Korbal         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually--Levitz had Burrane starting his criminal career when Gim first joined the Legion--that's at least a few years before Hanscomb kidnapped Garth. Perhaps Burrane had the name first and merely was punishing a pretender...

--------------------
"I am the LEGION--you colossal Jerk!"--Garth Ranzz LEGION #63

Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Mark Waid agrees!

quote:
Waid commented his first time writing Legion did not go so well because they were too beholden to the old stories. One post-reboot thing he particularly disliked was that they used a silly villain with a retarded name (Starfinger) just because they felt like they had to because the old Legion fought him around then.

Eryk Davis Ester

For the record, Starfinger II was totally redeemed by his animated appearance!
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe the villains fighting over the name just couldn't think of any code name that was more sinister.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I don't think "Staropussy" would've worked as well, so maybe you're right... [Wink]
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.