Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » More Mark Waid Murmerings (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: More Mark Waid Murmerings
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000193

Be sure [Triad] to vote [Triad] the right [Triad] way!

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Will the left and neutral way work as well, SoM? [Wink]

Well, I was confident we weren't getting a flat-out reboot, but now these new comments make me wonder if we are. Especially drudging up the 'every ten years' monster of having the Legion rebooted/retooled.

I know I'm going to love the new series with the people behind it, I just wish I knew WHAT I was looking forward to. [Wink] The current crop grown up and possibly with a retconned/reworked background a la v4, or the current Legion in a new/altered home front, or a brand new Legion?

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
My first impression is that this is not much more than something to keep us chattering without telling us anything. That said, it also makes me a little nervous that there will be changes made just for the sake of changing things. I still think that the current series was only in need of a little bit of a tune-up not an overhaul.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
With DC saying more and more that this isn't a reboot, plus Waid's comments that the founders might not even be seen and that we might not recognize some of them, my latest theory is that they're doing a "ten year gap" or something.

That way, enough time will have elapsed that they can change the status quo and redesign the 31st century but keep the old continuity and redesign the Legion, probably with most of the same names, but with new characters. A "Legion: The Next Generation" sorta thing. "Legionnaires" was always flawed because of the whole clone confusion, but maybe now DC will try again for a multigenerational Legion universe.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That makes some sense Drake. Especially since we already know that the Titans coming out following the Legion crossover has them appearing ten (I think it was ten) years into their future.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
But a "10-year gap" makes no sense in the context of this statement by Waid.

"It’s a bunch of kids having super-heroic adventures in the far future. It should be fun and bright and high-spirited."

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
Maybe they start out as tweens?

*shrugs*

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prime:
But a "10-year gap" makes no sense in the context of this statement by Waid.

"It’s a bunch of kids having super-heroic adventures in the far future. It should be fun and bright and high-spirited."

No? My thinking is they'll retire most of the current cast and focus on the next generation of Legionnaires (hence the comment about not seeing the founders).
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

quote:
Originally posted by ActorLad:
Maybe they start out as tweens?

Heh. Judging from the brief glimpse we've seen from Kitson, if these are 'tweens, they've seriously upped the dosage of the growth hormones in milk in the 31st century.
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Yet didn't Gail make a comment about how her story kind of fits in with Waids plans - she's focussed on the academy kids so I think we might see a few years gap and the introduction of a few new characters including a couple of the current cadets in the line up.

We'll find out soon enough [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
No age gap, says the team:

Barry Kitson, Legionworld.net, May 27, 2004
"The LSH will very definitely be teenagers!"

Mark Waid, Newsarma, 5/26/2004
"Geoff and I .. would have loved nothing more than to have the first page of that book be a ‘Five Years Later...’ caption but with the Titans’ Superboy in the team, there was just no way to make it work in DCU continuity."

Regarding the founders, and existing characters vs. new ones:

Mark Waid, Wizard #154
"To that end, you will see versions of the big Legion guns like Saturn Girl, Lightning Lad, et al, but Waid warned, "there's no guarantee you'll recognize them".

Also, when he were trying to identify the figures in his teaser image, Barry stated that some of the guesses were correct. We all guessed known Legionnaires. Ergo, some of the figures in the image are versions of known Legionnaires. Not all are new characters.

[ August 06, 2004, 03:37 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

But couldn't they be new teenage characters with familiar old code-names? Kitson wouldn't have been lying then.

The Waid comment about not being able to do a "five year gap" does seem to put a kibosh on my latest theory though.

Ok, so I'll go back to my old theory that they'll keep most of the same continuity, but with heavy cosmetic changes and maybe one or two tweaks to the canon.

Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
What would they possibly gain by introducing brand new teenage characters with old codenames? Fans would cry bloody murder. They can't afford to muck THAT much with the LSH heritage.

My guess: The majority (60% or more) will be versions of old characters; heavy cosmetic changes; different timestream.

[ August 06, 2004, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Tromium Crystal ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

The main problem is trying to find a way to reconcile the two seemingly different messages we're getting -- that it's NOT a reboot, yet there will be big changes, including some characters becoming possibly unrecognizable.

I suppose an altered timestream story might fit the bill...?

[ August 06, 2004, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: DrakeB3003 ]

EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
If only Princess Projectra returns with all her regal glory, I'll be happy again.
And the true Sarya Of Venegar.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.