Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Cosmic Boy (& Night Girl?) as Freedom Fighters?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cosmic Boy (& Night Girl?) as Freedom Fighters?
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
In the latest issue of Back Issue magazine #9, Jerry Ordway reveals that he and Paul Levitz were supposed to do the sequel to Crisis on Infinite Earths instead of Legends, called Crisis of the Soul.

quote:
Under Levitz's tenure as writer during the 1980s, Legion of Super-Heroes was DC's second-bestselling title (after The New Teen Titans), so it comes as no surprise that Paul added Legionnaire Cosmic Boy to the Crisis of the Soul cast, luring "Coz" to the 20th century from the 30th by a time paradox caused by the Corrupter's [the main villain of the series] machinations. Also borrowed from Legion are the Controllers, who redouble their presence in Earth's space sector in the wake of the hibernation of the Guardians of the Universe. Ultimately the Controllers quarantine the entire planet, to contain the Corrupter's spreading tide of evil.
But, what's really interesting is the plot points, tie-ins, and spin-offs. Among them - "Peacemaker uses Cosmic Boy's time bubble to go to the 21st century in a Hex crossover." And, "Uncle Sam forms the new Freedom Fighters with select Titans/Legion/Outsiders/JLA/Infinity Inc. members, spinning off into a new Freedom Fighters title."

After reading the article, I wish we had seen this instead of Legends. I realize we got Suicide Squad and Justice League out of it, but from what I can tell both would have been possible from this series as well.

[ March 18, 2005, 07:45 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Did they explain why this sequel was discarded? Crisis of the Soul is a great title...

I wonder who they had lined up for that Freedom Fighters group.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, DC wanted Mike Gold to return from First Comics and promised him a high profile series. That series became Legends.

Robert Greenberger was to be the editor for Soul, and since he was lower down the totem pole, his series got axed in favor of Gold's.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
*sigh*

I wish they had gone back and revisited this instead of giving us, say, Millenium.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
"Big Event" x-overs! Crisis! Bah!

I say Victoria Principal comes home, only to find Barry Allen in the shower - just back from visiting Jay on Earth-2, and the whole Crisis was just a dream.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I remember hearing of Crisis of the Soul at the time... never saw a plot breakdown before.

A better idea was an Alan Moore-proposed x-over, I think, which was proposed as "Twilight," in which John Constantine works feverishly to prevent the super-heroes from creating a dark, dystopian world - only to find his future self (who wants it to happen) manipulating him.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I believe synopses of "Twilight" can be found on the web, but I haven't looked recently.

Seemed rather interesting, if a tad bleak.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.