Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The all CAPTAIN FRAKE thread (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The all CAPTAIN FRAKE thread
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I always thought she was the kind of woman who had seen some gritty stuff in her life, some rough trade, so when she met pretty boy-amnesiac Jo Nah, her need for some tenderness came out.

I've done a sketch or two of her in a more formal ship's captain uniform, sort of like Captain Hook, with the ruffles and coat. I thought her little dew rag and hot shorts outfit didn't look very Captain-ish. Then, I imagine her in a more peasant-girl enemble, seeking comfort from Jo.

Now that I've started this thread, I should go re-read the story. I forgot her fate.

I'm sure soon I'll be posting my sketches of her in the Bits section....

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I love her hat!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Don't get me wrong, I generally LIKE a lady in hot shorts bossing around all her ugly alien pirates. Maybe they hadn't pilferred enough treasures yet, so she was on a budget and couldn't afford the great wardrobe an evil pirate captain *should* be sporting.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

I cast Angelica Houston as Captain Frake!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Nah, Tiffany Fallon, lol. Hey, don't get me wrong, i liked the Good Cap'n. She was a hottie. Not some lil' anorexic chick, but a dame with curves.

I think, however, and i may be misremembering...that she blew up when the castle did. Could be wrong though.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Yep, that's what happened. Boy, there was some cheesy dialogue in that story!

Interestingly, this was the first time Saturn Girl got in between Jo and Tinya. Tinya was so distraught over Jo's apparent death, that Imra went ahead and telepathed a bunch of happy memories into her head. Sound familiar? Then, later, she detected Jo and didn't tell anyone because she thought he had gone bad. A sketchy decision...

Back to Frake... she was totally hot for Jo as long as he was playing her whipping boy, but when he admitted that he was thinking of Tinya while he was with her, she flipped! He was "nothing to her" then.

I keep trying to figure out what her accent must sound like. Probably Scottish, because she kept calling Jo "Laddie" but also "Fresh Meat" and "Driftwood." She used "Lover" "Darling" and "My Love" a few times. Very flowery talk. He wanted to be called "Seeker."

I guess I'm fascinated by Frake because.....
actually, I have no idea why I'm fascinated by Captain Frake! Heh!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

baycent54
new

Icon 1 posted      Profile for baycent54   Author's Homepage   Email baycent54         Edit/Delete Post     
It always seemed yo me that the (un)good Captain was an adversary worth keeping around. Here's hoping she shows up pretty soon.
From: Michigan | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Frake was from a Legion era that was --with the exception of a very few stories-- pretty much forgettable for me. An era rife with coloring mistakes and incorrectly-drawn costumes and little-to-no character development.

I really need to haul out and reread the early-to-mid 1980s issues to see if I still feel that way.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Overall, I agree with you, Lash. But it's fun to look back and dig out what can be dug out.

My call, as far as the art is concerned, is that there was some bad inking. The pencillers actually did pretty well. Of course, Giffen came along after that, and not only innovated within Legion comics, but within the entire comic book medium.

Catherine Zeta Jones as Frake!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Sketch Lad
Advisor

Joan Collins as Frake!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I think it was the inks too, because the pencils-only artwork I've seen from Janes (in THE LEGION COMPANION) is better looking than the inked, colored in-print stuff.

Cher as Captain Frake!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sketch Lad
Advisor

OMG, Cher! Perfect! The casting is DONE, I tell ya!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

rhino as frake

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Nah, if you are gonna go star with Frake, use Anjelica Houston, circa Adams Family.

Bawdy, lusty, now thats a hot dame.

Cher always seemd kinda...antiseptic to me.

Joan Collins? ummm, not my taste really, though i have to say one thing about her. I do admire the fact that she neither used her daughter or hid her away from the world. Not a lot of people have that kinda moxie in the phony hollywood world.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.