Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Waid's characterization of Jan... (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Waid's characterization of Jan...
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I'll begin by admitting that Jan has never been one of my favorites. I think it's similar to the reason that a lot of people don't like Cos, in that when I first started reading the Legion regularly he was 'the leader', and I sort of never saw much to him beyond that. Oh, I know, he's the quiet guy who saw his entire race slaughtered and apparently learned to approach the whole thing with an incredibly stoic attitude, but that never really struck me as all that interesting. The only time we really got a sense of the trauma that he'd been through was the time he almost killed Roxxas, but, other than that, he seemed to take the whole situation incredibly passively, and I never really found much to be interested in about him.

Then, he was one of the characters most crapped upon in the reboot. First, he's the spacey flake obsessed with change, and that leads to him developing into the a mad inhuman villain. There's really not a whole lot to connect with as a character there...

In June of 2004, I wrote:

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I'd like to see someone who is an intellectual, but not a scientist. Surely the humanities still flourish in some form in the 31st century?

I don't think I had Jan in mind at the time, but he's the perfect choice. And I'm groovin' to the new version so far. But I want more. I want scenes of him writing poetry. I want him quoting Tzara and Derrida. I want him reviving coffee houses so he can hang out in them. He should have a whole faction of the Legion groupies that look up to him and try to imitate his pseudo-intellectualism. I would be so happy!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jan hosts a Super-Poetry Slam... of Space? I'm so there!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
I think a big part of it is Waid's limiting of Jan's powers. By changing it so that the things he transmutes revert to their original state after 60 seconds, Waid has opened up Jan's personality to many possibilities.

Before, there had to be a reason Trommians (sp?) weren't going around, making themselves stinking rich or otherwise taking advantage of their powers. So they kind of had to be these benevolent, but disconnected, existensial kinds of people, to explain that.

But now with their powers limited, I guess the people of Trom are free to be any and all types of personalities.

It's interesting, but if they go that way, it will take me a while to decide if I like it or not. I was actually a fan of E-Lad's spiritual side in the last 2 versions...

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I really like Jan as he's presented here. Sort of got a little snooty intellectualism thing going.

I really want to see him begin by quoting phillosphies of the past but begin synthesising his own as he matures (moving beyond the pseudo). Also I get the feeling that he is not one to get his hands dirty. Remember KK's crack. He'll have to learn to do a little of that too as he grows as a hero.

I'll also argue that intellectualism (pseudo or not) doesn't mean that he can't be spiritual too. The intellectuals of the enlightenment were spiritual in ways previously made impossible by the dominant counter-reformation movement in the Catholic Church.

[ July 30, 2005, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: Tamper Lad ]

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I really like Jan as he's presented here. Sort of got a little snooty intellectualism thing going.

*refrains from making an assinine comment* (Because <3, really.)

I really like Jan here too. He's so... well, pseudo-intellectual. [Poverty Lad] He reminds me of some of my classmates... it makes me giggle.

I hadn't really noticed before, but I knew that I liked him for some reason. Now that Cos pointed it out, all the little comments he made make me giggle.

But, yeah. Definitely lovin' on WaK!Jan. [Smile]

[ July 30, 2005, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Caliente ]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Jan's always been my favorite.

I especially enjoyed the pre-boot relationship he had with Imra, and I thought his interactions with Roxxas during TMK were long overdue. I guess he was at his blandest when he was leader, and his most irksome after the reboot fight with Mordru, but he was still my favorite.

For the threeboot, I'd appreciate if the limitations on his power weren't set in stone. Maybe as Tromians gain experience they can transmute things permanently or without touching them. His character, so far, seems open to what you're talking about EDE. Naturally, I'd grow to appreciate it.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I kinda like EDE's idea of Jan as a futuristic beatnik - he's probably funky enough to pull off that role - but the ship may have already sailed away on a different course. Right now, he's more the stereotype of a young scientist/philosopher - with a head full of chemical formulas, a mouth full of spiritual platitudes and semi-retarded social skills. He's not really one of the "cool" crowd. The tough guy (Karate Kid) sneers at him, he can't think of anything clever to say to the girl next door (Triplicate Girl), the beauty queen (Phantom Girl) treats him like a kid brother, and the head jock (Cosmic Boy) takes his comic books but discounts him as "an indecisive psuedointellectual" behind his back. Only Micro Lad seems impressed (as he should be). I love Jan to pieces, but I'm afraid his 3boot self is in danger of turning into a first-class geek, so to speak.

At least he has a temper. I like that.

Add to this Barry's description of him as "young mage", the Dr. Fate knock-off costume, and his somewhat sinister appearance, and my sense is that WaK are planning to take Jan on another very strange journey. Not sure where, but I'm beginning to fret about the direction already.

As for his current power limitations, I suspect they're intended, not to castrate Jan, but to present him with obstacles he'll eventually learn to overcome. I just hope it has a better outcome than the last time he "evolved".

[ July 31, 2005, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Tromium ]

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The line between awkward geek type and cool beatnik poet type is a surprisingly thin one.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, very well, have it your way then.

-

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL]
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Well I am interested where Waid is going with Jan. He has also been a favorite of mine. (part of the reason I liked v4 they used all of my faves from before)

Trom seems to still exist. Jan still has an air of mystery to him but he's always had that. Barry used the word spiritual to describe him. Right now he looks like the most spiritual he gets is a Pearl Jam concert.

Not sure I agree with the take...I guess this is a young more immature Jan. But atleast I am interested.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Y'know, I'm not sure Trom does exist... The pirate dude did seem pretty surprised that Jan hailed from there.

*shrugs* Maybe it went the route of Tamaran or whatever... people still know who they are but they have no more planet.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I like your thoughts on Jan, EDE and hope Waid goes this route. There has always been such a focus on the ‘science/math’ aspect of the 30th Century, that I think a ‘humanities-centric’ Jan would be hella-kewl!

Despite us seeing just little glimpses of Jan’s personality so far, I have to say that I like what I see. Maybe Cos’ ‘pseudo-intellectual’ crack will give him cause for some further exploration of his beliefs?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
In the Activity Room scene in #1, Jan is reading a book! Reading material had been quite lacking in the post-boot. Of course, we don't know what sort of book it is, but it's a start. He'd make a great poet or thinker of some sort, but I would really like to see him pursue this track seriously and effectively, rather than play at being artistic. In this case, Cos would have just been insulting when he added the "pseudo". Flakiness depends on your perspective, though.

Other hints we've had for possibly artistic legionnaires:

We also see Shadow Lass possibly looking at a painting or poster - art appreciation?

There are band instruments in the corner. Historical artefacts? No doubt someone in the group has overcome historical curiousity to actually try playing them. So we may have some musicians, pre-existing or budding.

Nura was at least watching the play Macbeth in #2.

Val mentioned that the Sydney Opera House was once the finest one in the Solar System. Citing historical fact or expressing an interest in ancient music?

I'm clutching at straws here, but that's part of the comics speculation game.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Caliente:
Y'know, I'm not sure Trom does exist... The pirate dude did seem pretty surprised that Jan hailed from there.

I got the feeling he was surprised that there was a Trommite *off-planet*. It could be that they're a rather isolated society.

On a side note, I was thinking about the comment Jan made to Lu in regard to his liking to be naked. Isn't that something that's also true of natives of Winath? And then we've got this question about whether Garth is from Trom or Winath. It seems to me like there may be links.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.