Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » A question for Legion Worlders (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A question for Legion Worlders
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
the excellent Mr.Wacker and I were hoping you could help us answer something....

If LSH had continued in Adventure Comics with no breaks from the end of the 'Tales of the Legion' numbering - what issue # would we be at now (October cover date)?

All help gratefully received! [Smile]

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm...if I understand the question correctly...then the answer would be ADVENTURE COMICS #817 for OCT 2005.

It was 36 years ago that the Legion stopped appearing in Adventure Comics regularly, ADVENTURE COMICS #380, MAY 1969.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
IF we continue the numbering from the last non-digest issue the answer becomes ADVENTURE COMICS #774 for OCT 2005. #490 had a FEB 1982 cover date.

IF we continue the numbering with the digests then the answer becomes ADVENTURE COMICS #768 for OCT 2005. #503 had a SEP 1983 cover date.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
ooops my idiocy - it was Superboy numbering that took LSH into the 'Baxter period' wasn't it....so if we continued numbering from the last original story in Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes (#325 June 85?) ...we'd be at #568 come October this year?
About 200 behind Adventure had that run continued?

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Oops! Sorry. The series in Adventure was called "Tales of the Legion of Super-Heroes" too, so I misunderstood. And actually the last original story, #325 had a cover date of July 1985, but you're right that the number would still come out to be #568.

If you continue the series from the Baxter version it'd be #257.

If you continue the series from TMK/Reboot LSH it'd be #192.

[ October 18, 2005, 02:23 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Ahem......

Gary Rocks!!!!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. I'm not worthy.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
Dang. Barry sure came to the right place.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Well, if that impresses you guys [Smile] , then just think that the series would be at #390 for OCT 2005, if it was continued from the original LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES four-issue reprint series from 1973. [Wink]
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Kitson:
Hi Guys
the excellent Mr.Wacker and I were hoping you could help us answer something....

If LSH had continued in Adventure Comics with no breaks from the end of the 'Tales of the Legion' numbering - what issue # would we be at now (October cover date)?

All help gratefully received! [Smile]

hey Barry !!

isn't GARY cool for working out those numbers [Smile]

so is this just a general question from you and MR WACKER !!??

or do you guy's plan on returning the current title to it's original numbering total to tie-in with "INFINITE CRISIS" [Hmmm?] ..........

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's another challenge for you, Gary:

Suppose ADVENTURE COMICS # 247, the first Legion story, had been LSH # 1. And suppose that every major Legion story (not counting minor cameo appearances and guest-appearances in other comics where the Legion was clearly not the "star") was part of that series. And suppose that this series was published continuously since the first issue (cover dated April 1958), allowing for times of suspension when the real series were not published (e.g., the five-month-or-so break between v.3 and v.4). Supposing all of that, on what issue would the series be now?

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Interesting question that would actually be a matter of taste. As the significance of many of the early appearances is subjective.

For me, here's how I'd break it down...

By the time the Legion stopped regularly appearing in ADVENTURE COMICS with #380, I'd estimate our make-believe LSH series at being at #102. And LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #116 would be the same as their final ACTION COMICS appearance in #392. Personally, I'd like to include the Legion's first series of 4 issues that were reprints, so I'd estimate our series being at issue #134 with SUPERBOY #200. (If you disagree then just subtract 4 from here on out.)

Now then for the first split...does one include the Tales issues or just switch the numbering to LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (vol. 3)? The last non-Tales LSH (v. 2) issue is #313 which would be our LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #247. Ignoring Tales would give us a #310 for LSH (v. 3) #63. Or pretending we go bi-weekly for awhile to include Tales then we come to #351 for LSH (v. 3) #63.

The second split comes with the LEGIONNAIRES series. Do you include it? Without it, LSH (v. 4) #125 gives you #435 (w/o Tales) and #476 (w/Tales). With it, LEGIONNAIRES #81 gives you #516 (w/o Tales) and #557 (w/Tales).

Compounding the problem is LEGION LOST (12 issues) and LEGION WORLDS (6 issues). Since it's easy to add these in later, let's forget them for now.

The LEGION lasted 38 issues, giving us #554 (w/Legionnaires, w/o Tales) and #595 (w/Legionnaires, w/Tales) and #473 (w/o Tales/Legionnaires) and #514 (w/Tales, w/o Legionnaires).

With LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES (v. 5) #9 having the OCT 2005 coverdate, it would work out to be either #604 (w/Legionnaires, w/Tales) or #523 (w/Tales, w/o Legionnaires) or #563 (w/Legionnaires, w/o Tales) or #482 (w/o Tales/Legionnaires). Subtract 4 from any of the above to remove the first LSH reprint series. Add 12 to 18 to include LOST or WORLDS.

[ October 19, 2005, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
My head hurts now.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, but what if we started with Secrets of the LSH? [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
That's just. plain. evil. of you EDE. Evil.

But Gary is officially the king. Just 'cause.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.