Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » re-reading the REBOOT LEGION (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: re-reading the REBOOT LEGION
brigort
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigort   Email brigort         Edit/Delete Post     
I've got to agree with most of you. It started ok and then lost it with the 20/30 split. I thought it would never end. It was the first time I had ever actually thought about dropping the books. Something I thought would never happen.
What also burned me was that I found Stern's run so disappointing. One of my all time favorite writers on the Legion and I didn't like it.

From: PEI, Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
actually, I found it the best of Stern's writing, but still not the best of LSH runs.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
brigort
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for brigort   Email brigort         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know exactly what I was expecting from Stern, but I remember thinking that things were going to really take off when he came on board.
Maybe it was the writing by committee that seemed to be going on then - but I just didn't care for it.

From: PEI, Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Time Waids for no man... nor does The Legion, as Mark Waid makes his exit from the reboot.

LSH # 72:

An excellent cover (Alan Davis, don'tcha know)... mass funeral for Andromeda and Apparition; developments for Ultra Boy and Element Lad bring them thisclose to becoming Legionnaires; the first hints that Jan's appreciation of death make him a bit of a weirdo; Winema Wazzo has issues with the Legion re: her daughter's death; it is implied that Laurel's "death" has GREATLY impacted Brainy; a possible Coz/Imra liason is hinted at; Chu gets bitchy with Coz and Coz in turn gets bitchy with the team; REGULUS! Can Dirk Morgna (FINALLY!) be far behind?

Plus! David Taylor in the lettercol, again requesting my gal Calorie Queen along with Kid Psycho!

L* # 29:

We witness an expanded origin for Dirk Morgna, involving the Legionnaires. Brainy drinks beer; Element Lad transorms dead Trommites to tsarin crystals; a pretty good issue which by the end sees the "birth" of what is SURE to be... Sun Boy! Yay!

LSH # 73:

Shift of focus to Live Wire as he searches for his brother Mekt; he is, in fact, mistaken for the criminal Mekt and arrested; developments with Dirk Morgna are revealed via off-handed conversation that takes place back at HQ, which I feel was a let-down to all fans of Dirk; Whooops! There's Valor, or at least his ghost! Mekt frees Garth from jail, they proceed to Korbal and Mekt reveals himself to be sh!t-all psycho.

Meanwhile, in the lettercol, David Taylor requests a WORKFORCE miniseries!

L* # 30:

More Mekt! More ghostly Valor! It's here that we begin weaving elements of the preboot Legion mythos into the postboot haphazardly, with Garth losing an arm NOT to the Super-Moby Dick of Space but to his brother Mekt. I actually didn't mind this; I felt it drove home just how frikkin' uts Mekt was, plus who really expected to see the Super-Moby anyway? Anyhoo, Ayla pops in and together, she and Garth overpower Mekt. Next: SUPERBOY & the LSH!

SUMMARY:

These first Waidless issues hold up very well, actually, but already one can spot disturbing trends developing, like LESS Legionnaires being featured per issue and preboot circumstances being brought into postboot play.

Coming up: SUPERBOY! And a li'l lass named LORI!

[ March 19, 2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
We really need to track down and and invite this David Taylor fellow to join LW. He'd fit right in. [Razz]

Anyway, I think these four issues were the beginning of the end of my love affair with this version of the Legion as well. Too many bad changes and poorly executed re-treads of old storylines. And as you say the pretender Superboy and Lori are coming on the horizon.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Superboy plus the STING of defeat!

SUPERBOY # 21, LSH # 74, L* # 31:

I actually rather enjoyed this crossover; Superboy interacts amusingly well with the Legion, particularly Brainy and Triad; Jo's still hanging around; we check in on Garth and Ayla back on Winath; the SCAVENGER? How'd he live so long? By the ghostly image of Valor! YAY!!! Brainy's FORCE-FIELD! I find it amusing that it took Superboy (the "gibbering primitive") to inspire Brainy to invent it; VALOR's back, HOORAY! But instead of being grateful and just chillin' for a bit, he gets all bitchy with Triad, BOO!

All in all, this 3-parter was very enjoyable. The next crossover event was considerably less so.

LSH # 75, L* 32:

First, LSH... UNDERWORLD UNLEASHED was an event I rather enjoyed in the DCU, but for the Legion, it unleashed some crappiness. XS, lost in the time-stream back in Superboy # 21, encounters Chronos and a charming little girl ("Wow! STUPID!") named Lori Morning. I didn't like this issue the first time I read it, nor did I like it upon re-reading, despite a high usage of the word "stupid". Possibly my least-favorite issue in all of Legion history. Definitely in the top 5.

Fortunately, the lettercol was enjoyable, as David Taylor shows that he is a true fan of the Legion as he calls for the revival of Star Boy, Calorie Queen, Gates, Nemesis Kid, Gas Girl and Projectra!

Now, L*... the second part of the crossover was a bit better, mainly because the team was focused on rather than just XS; Zoe appears to be rescued from certain death; Lori ends up in an adult body and shows that she isn't ALL selfish brat, as she is willing to sacrifice herself to stop Chronos; Brainy: Arrested!

LSH # 76:

I-- is that-- CHUCK TAINE? OhmiGAWD, it IS!!! HOOOORAY! And-- poppin' planets, it's that GATES guy from a few issues back, and LOOK! He's still hilariously bitchy, calling Chuck and Marla fat ("GODS! Can you POSSIBLY weigh any MORE?")!
And, ooooh-- Star Boy (whom Lee Moder never could draw well; fortunatley Moy did).

Jillikers--could that be-- Spacefinger? Tenzil macks on Ayla; Valor leaves; Zoe meets an old Hag; in an excellent scene, Chuck Taine reveals how he came to be where he is and gives all the Legionnaires present something to think about.

L* # 33:

What is apparently the postboot Starfinger attacks the Time Institute; Gim Allon continues his stint as Legionnaire whip-cracker (a role I thought fit him well and gave him some much-needed personality), turning his attentions to Star Boy; Ayla gets a gift; Lori goes exploring ("OOO... Saturn Girl's SOOO STUPID!"); Zoe sees the Emerald Eye of Ekron for the first time; "Starfinger" downs the entire Legion except for Violet!

LSH # 77:

SO much better than the XS-focus issue earlier, this Brainy-focus issue is one of my favorites. An excellent read from start to finish with some disturbing insights into Brainy's mind. Nara Minsork was an EXCELLENT character. Props to Peyer & McGraw.

L* # 34:

First of all, loved the "Legion does sign language" on page 1's roll call; And in another instance of "borrowing from the preboot, "Starfinger" is revealed to be-- Jan Arrah? Zoe turns into a tattooed kitten-thing; probes into Jan's mind reveal that the person who took control of his mind was-- Winema Wazzo? And... is that a Sun-Eater on that viewscreen? Apparently so, and that means... FATAL 5! Hmmm... "genetically-enhanced living weapons" to use against the Sun-Eater? Just how is a thrillkilling madwoman (the Empress) going to stop a Sun-Eater?

LSH # 78:

Chu turns the Sun-Eater scare into a mass "join the United Planets" rally-cry; Other than that, I didn't much care for how this issue was lifted almost directly from the ADVENTURE-era debut of the FF.

L* # 35:

Rogern Stern joins the writing team, and IMO makes a stellar debut, shifting focus on the non-Legionnaire cast: Rond, Chuck, Tenzil, Shvaughn, Marla, the Athramites, and, yes, even Lori.

A great issue overall, despite the repurcussions that acid spit might have for well-known-kissyfacer Tenzil. At this point, Lori hasn't become unbearable.

LSH # 79:

A big honkin' issue-length fight! Pretty good for that sort of thing, actually.

L* # 38:

Just as things look their darkest, we get a real ADVENTURE 350-35-type "EVERYONE COMES BACK" thingie with the Legion Rescue Squad! Valor, Andromeda, Garth, Jo, XS and Jan (that *IS* a powerful bunch, isn't it?) bust in to save the Legion's hash, and even Kinetix shows back up; Winema Wazzo goes space-bananas!

LSH # 80:

The whole Fatal 5/Sun-eater/bitchy Chu thing comes to conclusion, and by the last page, we FINALLY have a team of a more Legion-ish number-- 18. But will THAT last? Plus: Cham *CAN* speak interlac!

COMING UP: THE WINDS OF CHANGE (WHO FARTED?)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Up until this point, the reboot was excellent. Sadly, the next few issues saw the gradual shift to crapiness. But that was an excellent storyline.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers, Lash! How could you discuss the Scavenger storyline with no mention of Ulthro?

I remember being really annoyed at the time that the pacing seemed to be really bad on the Zoe subplot. It seemed like they left her stranded in space for months before the finally showed what happened to her.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So how many letters did this David Tayler guy have printed? Willikers!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Bah! I doubt there really is such a person! No doubt Carlson or McAvennie or whoever just wrote those to himself!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

To be honest, I actually enjoyed the slow pace of the powerless-Zoe upon a re-read; it was actually paced perfectly, IMO... though it might not have seen so when reading on a monthly basis.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
These issues WERE great, and I'm glad I got to read my aunt's copies - she had a complete collection up to the point Waid left.

I'm still trying to complete my own collection, though; I haven't even read the entire Fatal Five storyline yet [Frown]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
IMO there was not a single bad issue of the Legion up this point in the reboot. I loved each and every one of them!

That cliff-drop in quality is just around the corner though...

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Sigh, so true. The nice little character moments that had made the reboot great just seemed to dwindle after that. It's too bad, because I think some of the issues after this point were still good.

Legionnaires 41 in particular I'll remember for Jenni's desperately trying to travel through time (and Thom having to calm her down). The battle with Mordru was also pretty exciting; but it was the lack of consistency that ultimately did the 'boot in.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix (Zoe Saugin)
Sassy and all dressed up

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kinetix (Zoe Saugin)           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
LSH ANNUAL # 6

Shvaughn becomes LSH liason as she was destined to be; the Tornado Twins! Origins for XS, Leviathan and Kinetix-- who also LOSES her power for some never-explained reason.

The Star she was looking for backfired on her and drained her power instead of giving her more.

Legionnaires #42 later says Mysa set her up for that to happen

They sure took their time having me appear again! I was absent up until... issue 72, was it? And I missed the whole White Triangle climax!

--------------------
Why must power be so elusive?

From: Aleph | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.