Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Mon-El = Power Boy?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mon-El = Power Boy?
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
1. Power Boy will be showing up in Supergirl about the time that Mon-El shows up in LSH.

2. Power Boy is traditionally a Legion name, going back to the Adult Legion story (not to mention Jed Rikane).

3. The original Power Boy, Zarl Vorne, was a character who was frozen in "suspended animation" for thousands of years.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
If it were Power Mouth Boy, I'd think it was Rokk.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
DC Comics’ Various Power Boys –

Power-Boy - "The Power-Boy from Earth!" SUPERBOY #52 (Oct 1956)

Zarl Vorne of the asteroid planetoid Juno is a native of Earth who was rocketed to Juno by his scientist father to save him from the sinking of Atlantis. His rocket landed in unexplored regions and remained in suspended animation for 15,000 years before being discovered by Pa Vorne. On Juno, he possesses powers similar to Superboy's. Unfortunately, close proximaty to Superboy would cause Power-Boy to become weak and ill (similar to green kryptonite and Kryptonians) and the heroes were forced to part ways.

-

BITS OF LEGIONNAIRE BUSINESS from ADVENTURE COMICS #340 (Jan 1966):

quote:
Steven Petryszyn, Rochester, N.Y. - "Power Boy. He can drain the power - even a super-power - from any object or person and restore it or place it in another person."
The next in comic appearance of a Power Boy was in ADVENTURE COMICS #354 (Mar 1967). This appearance is simply a name below a fallen (future) Legionnaire’s statue.

The authors of the website the LSH Clubhouse believe that the above Power Boy is in fact the unnamed cadet who befriends Colossal Boy in ADVENTURE COMICS #371 (Aug 1968).

Dave Cockrum created a Power Boy for his OUTSIDERS. Unfortunately, he left the series before any of them appeared in an actual DC Comic. Poor Nighty! [Frown]

The next character to be called Power Boy was Jed Rikane who first appeared in SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #240 (Jun 1978). Although he was not named as “Power Boy” until LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #14 (Sep 1985).

And now, the mysterious Power Boy of the Titans who apparently will be appearing in the pages of Supergirl.

-

Also of note is Power Lad, from SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #45 (Jun 1960). “Tom Baker” is actually Dik-Rey of Kandor. He is chosen to take Supergirl’s place while she visits Kandor. For some odd reason (Silver Age logic [Smile] ), Superman asks Jimmy to check on the boy-scientist Tom Baker. Who then asks Jimmy for help testing his Power Coil which subsequently explodes. Miraculously, “Tom” survives with super powers. Perry White calls him Power Lad and three different clothes designers beg him to wear their costumes – which he does in three separate feats before returning to Kandor much to Jimmy's relief.

[ September 18, 2006, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You know... I never realized it, but that's probably where they got the goofy Post-Crisis origin for Power Girl from!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Did you see the cover for Supergirl 13 at the Comics Contiuum? Same link as the Legion Cover. Sure looks like Powerboy could be Lar.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koymc Dox
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Koymc Dox   Author's Homepage   Email Koymc Dox         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks possible, but Grife, I hope not. Lar Gand's comic book history is complicated enough already, and we don't really need another new identity grafted to the character.

The fact that the name Power Boy is already attached to a character in Legion history already actually makes it worse than what happened before: at least the name Valor wasn't attached to any Legion characters already, even obscure ones like Jed Rikane.

Call him Valor. Call him Mon-El. Call him some variant of those (like they did to create the name M'Onel). Just don't stick him with yet another identity.

--------------------
"I will drill a hole through my head. You cannot stop me."

Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lad Boy
3rd smartest person on Legion World

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lad Boy   Email Lad Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read the Titans. Who is this Powerboy? His costume certainly mimics Power Girl's costume -- the gold rope thingy, the cleaveage oval, short-cuffed gloves.
From: Washington DC | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Can you imagine if they make Mon-El a New God???

LOL, oh no...they might do it.

Frankly I don't care if he's Mon-El, Valor, Lar Gand, or M'onel(ok i really like this one the least by far i admit).

I don't even care if they make him a New God. As long as his core personality is the same.

I always saw him as more moody, more metaphysical even than Superman. In other words a Mon-El Vertigo title would rock! [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
I honestly doubt Lar is Power Boy (even an amnesiac PB) when he's being depicted in his old SvA glory on the cover of Action Annual #10. I believe and trust they are restoring him to his once and future iconic identity, as Mon-El of Daxam. That's why all the fanfare surrounding his reintroduction to the Superman and Legion books.
From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thor2168
Cute-Baby-Boy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thor2168   Email thor2168         Edit/Delete Post     
Is it just me or does this cover of Super Girl have a look similiar to LOSH 27? Robots and SG?

--------------------
I just can't BLOK it out!

From: The land of toys and stinky diapers!!! | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
It's Mon-El Month at the Museum of Legion Arts at Bits!

Please go and channel your thoughts on Mon as Power Boy in that thread!

(please?)

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.