Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » The All-World's Finest #284 Thread! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The All-World's Finest #284 Thread!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
We don't spend nearly enough time on this board talking about this classic Legion issue!

I, of course, purchased this book off the spinner rack at the tender age of six, and it was my first exposure to the Legion of Super-Heroes! It's impact on me was so profound that it was a mere two years later that I sought out my next Legion issue!

So, just to refresh everyone, it features Superman coming to the future to get the help of the Legionnaires against the villainous Composite Superman! Except, it later turns out that it's not really the Composite Superman, but some alien dude named Xan who has duplicated the accident that originally created the Composite Superman in order to get revenge on Superman and Batman for imprisoning his father! Anyway, after a whole lot of fighting and getting their butts kicked, it's Projectra who finally manages to defeat him, so that's pretty groovy!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
He got his butt kicked by a girl!!!

[Nelson] "HA-hah!!" [/Nelson] [Razz]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Things that I actually do remember impressing me about this issue:

--The opening scene where Cosmic Boy is surprised to see Superman rather than Superboy
--The vastly lesser powered Legionnaire defeating the uber-powered opponent through a trick
--The Legionnaire statuettes that gave the Composite Man his power
--Triplication rocked as a power
--Wildfire blasting the CS at full force, bragging that none of the people CS derives his invulnerability from could take that blast, only to have the CS emerge unscathed, since the effects of the individual powers of invulnerability are cumulative

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey! I just bought this comic about a week ago! Great cover! Kinda weird story but still fun.

There's a great Green Arrow back-up too featuring one of my favourite DC villains of all time (no pun intended) - Clock King! May he RIP! Or better yet, come back!

World's Finest was a great series actually. Lots of characters besides Superman and Batman got great stories in there - Red Tornado, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Captain Marvel, Zatanna, Aquaman, the JSA, Deadman and so on. Weird how no one ever seems to talk about it though.

What other issues featured the Legion? I wouldn't mind tracking down and reading more non-30th century Legion stories from that era.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I personally love seeing Batman teaming up with the Legion (with Supes as well) and always wonder why we never saw more of that.

I must reread this issue! I think I only read it once about ten years ago. I remember the Wildfire scene you refer to Eryk and despite him being too cocky thinking that he was totally a kick-ass hero.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm guessing that once Denny O'Neil became editor, stuff that looked too sci-fi was mostly out.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I used to have that issue! One that vamooshed in my early 90s collection purge that I haven't replaced. [Frown]

I was following WFC at the time, so it seemed like a no-brainer that you enlist the LSH against a foes with all their powers; it amazed me that no one had thought of it before.

I also remember that George Tuska art, which I'll refrain from bashing, but the next to bash Giffen should keep Tuska in mind before posting.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Agreed re: the art.

After seeing the great Giffen (pre-the Devil coming to collect) cover, it was a little hard to stomach the weird Tuska blocky faces inside.

One thing I'll always remember about this issue though is the weird cartoony ending. Batman makes some strange overfamiliar joke about Wildfire's personality (like, how well did Batman know Wildfire anyway?) while Superman laughs in the background and Wildfire literally smiles good-naturedly at the reader and holds up his hand to indicate Batman to us as if to say "Oh this crazy guy! See what I have to put up with!" Weird!

It was like straight out of an episode of the Superfriends - just switch Wildfire for Gleek or one of the Wonder Twins.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

You know... I'd completely forgotten about that ending, but now that you mention it, I remember it!

I really should re-read this issue sometime!

Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the Tuska art was bad!!!!!

I remember not liking this issue, even though at the time I was thrilled to see the Legion guest starring in another book!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

[Bump] to go along with the current cover face-off!
Blacula
Easy

And even though I said I'd always remember that corny ending - I had totally forgotten it until I re-read my post about it!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The cover truly IS stellar IMO, but the story... a member of the Legion of Better-Off-Forgotten tales, maybe?

Or... maybe NOT... I find myself wanting to read how Batman intereacts with the LSH... I remember nothing of the story itself other than the plot point of the Composite Superman not really being the Composite Superman...

I need to dig this one out of the LSH box!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Jeckie kicks ass in it!

(with some help from Batman!)

lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I found a panel on Google!
 -

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.