Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   
Author Topic: Shooter gone @ 50, Bedard re-launching Legion?!?!?!?
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
ahhh i know what the tony bedard project is and it's not LSH. that's all i can say, it's driving me crazy 8____8 but i promised not to say! at the time i didn't think it would be hard to shut up @_____@!!!

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul Newell
In Bismoll We Trust

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paul Newell   Email Paul Newell         Edit/Delete Post     
If that's the case, then maybe we're all thinking the wrong L.E.G.I.O.N.? [Smile]

--------------------
Paul Newell
Titan President

From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
one other thing, wasn't he ALWAYS only scheduled for a certain amount of issues? like why are we surprised?

--------------------

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe he was originally scheduled for 16 issues. If the run ends at #50 I think that makes it 13 instead and will conclude with the Dec 08 issue, about the same time as Final Crisis concludes (and L3W also I think)

Sounds to me like someone is trying to coordinate something...

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I sure hope DC doesn't screw this up again,or I might find myself not buying the Legion for the first time in thirty five years,enough is enough.

Restore the Pre-Crisis Legion continuity and characters,reintroduce the characters from 5YL and the Zero Hour reboot that don't have counterparts into that continuity as new characters keeping them as close to their original concepts as possible,and build upon that history,respect the characters and their fans,quit tearing it apart and rebooting it.

I couldn't agree with LWL more, this has to be the way forward.

Listening to Geoff Johns talking about how he wants to make the publuc love Legion characters - mentioning Dawnstar and XS by name, it sounds like this is what is happening. What's the point of making the public love characters that are about to be rebooted out of existence?

Who will write it and who will draw it are the real questions. Johns avoided answering questions on whether he was taking over, giving the impression that he was. Is FJM's run tied to JS's or will Francis continue? If not how about Scott Koblish after L3W?

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

i really don't care which version of the legion it is, as long as its well written and there's a brainiac 5 in there. an invisible teen and dream girl would also be nice.

every legion had its pros and cons. i don't know why people are so anti-reboots. i like getting a new legion every now and then. there are like 50 different spiderman incarnations, who cares? it's still spiderman! it's still legion! i read some elseworlds two part miniseries thing the other day that was called superboys legion, it was totally different and still really fun! it's like listening to a remix, sometimes, the fast version with the drum and bass sounds A LOT BETTER than the original, because it's more modern. legion incorporated gay people, minorities, and feminism over the years, i so do NOT want to lose those things in favor of nostalgia. and if johns is heading it up, i think we'll get a mix of classic with modern know-how.

if we really kept to the old legion, it'd be saturn girl, lightning lad and cosmic boy showing up in a time bubble, jacking superboy in the face, making him cry and then going "OH A MISUNDERSTANDING. SEE YOU LATER, PAL." Then Star Boy would kill Kenz Nuhor and Superboy would suddenly think he could be a lawyer and do really embarrassing things.

i'm not really one of those people that craves older legion, actually, because i want the characters to be YOUNG. so i'm a little worried it'll be "legion of 50 year olds"... but even then, i really liked the action comics run and i'd still read it. BECAUSE IT WAS WELL WRITTEN. older garth utterly, yet accidentally, dissing batman-hand-shake was AMAZING.

Come on, at least READ it first before freaking out, guys.

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
As long as some version of the Action Legion survives FC/L3W, I'm happy.

If it is the main/only LSH book, all the better - but I'd prefer if Reboot and Threeboot tales can from time to time appear...a la Earyh 2 pre-Crisis.

I don't hate Shooter, and some of his recent stuff has been good, but even he can only do so much with a tepid foundation.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I would be disappointed to see Mr. Shooter leave the series, because I think the stories this past 6 months have made the Legion more interesting than it has been in decades.

Another reboot would be a disaster, as we would have the 'two-steps backward' routine Legion fans have experienced way too often now with a new writer implementing and constructing his/her 'vision'- convoluted re-origins and twisted re-telling of old characters and stories which never seem to be any better than the originals.

The Waid reboot never grabbed me, but Shooter has turned into something I would like to see continued. I would like to see Progression for a few years, not herky-jerky Elseworlds hopping or reboot yo-yo-ing.

I'm getting old and my patience isn't what it used to be...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:
i really don't care which version of the legion it is, as long as its well written and there's a brainiac 5 in there. an invisible teen and dream girl would also be nice.

every legion had its pros and cons. i don't know why people are so anti-reboots. i like getting a new legion every now and then. there are like 50 different spiderman incarnations, who cares? it's still spiderman! it's still legion! i read some elseworlds two part miniseries thing the other day that was called superboys legion, it was totally different and still really fun! it's like listening to a remix, sometimes, the fast version with the drum and bass sounds A LOT BETTER than the original, because it's more modern. legion incorporated gay people, minorities, and feminism over the years, i so do NOT want to lose those things in favor of nostalgia. and if johns is heading it up, i think we'll get a mix of classic with modern know-how.

My major quip is that "a bunch of colorful characters does not make the Legion" in my book. For me, the book was different because of its premises, who were all shattered by those reboots. For instance: there are no Subs, age means nothing anymore, characters maturity is non-existent, sci-fi tones were toned down to a minimum (except for Shooter now), death now is just like in every other book...

I really never asked for young Legion (that's, for me, the stuff for Elseworlds or Year One kind-of-books). I wanted the Legion who ran on its original premisses. The book had always been on the forefront (up to v4 #39, that is). When it became just another book, it had to be rebooted.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Atoning Unifex
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Atoning Unifex   Email Atoning Unifex         Edit/Delete Post     
Each new rebooting or retconning or restart kills a little more of my interest. I find it harder and harder to get attached to characters that I know probably aren't going to be around for more than a few years.

I think, more than anything else, DC needs to take a new approach with the Legion.

I think the Legion should be set up in "seasons". Get a creative team that's interested in the book and say "Hey, you've got twelve issues. Gimme your best story. It can be a twelve issue story, it can be three four issue stories, it can be twelve single issue stories, just give me a beginning, a middle and an end. And when you're done someone else is going to do the book for a year. Feel free to pitch for future years."

The ground rules are simple:
- No rebooting.
- No retconning.
- No recreating past stories.
-The editor will provide you a bible with a summary of previous events and a snapshot of where the main characters are at the end of the preceeding season. Move forward.

It puts a lot of responsibility on the editor, but it would stave off the fatigue that seems to set in with Legion writers.

From: Rochester, NY | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I also agree with LWL! And with Atoning Unifex when it comes to editors!

I really hope we see Shooter back in the legion sandbox. Shooter and Francis writing a Legion Academy would rock.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the idea of Legion 'seasons'. It would make for a lot of possibilities for writers of various backgrounds (adventure, sci-fi, character-driven, dark, comedic) and would also be pre-packaged for Trade Paperbacks.

A full-time editor for the Legion is almost a necessity now anyway, keeping all the reboots straight and everything...

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Don't know what to say about Shooter going out - again - but that it's sad because he made me care about the Threeboot characters in a way Mark Waid never managed to do it.

As for Bedard, I love his stuff over at good old Crossgen - his Negation was really a great read, good mixture of Superhero/SciFi - and though I was not overwhelmed by his recent guest stint, I firmly believe that he could build up a great storyline with whatever Legion he is given.

I certainly would prefer a classic Legion continuity ONGOING book done by Levitz/Giffen, but that in my eyes is wishful thinking... does Levitz even have a decent story left? He pretty much wrote the title for how long, a decade?

On the other hand, after years in the executive business, maybe he's hungry again... and he would give the book full presidential power...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been thinking of the "seasons" approach to Legion for a while now. It's such a diverse cast, and most stories only give spotlight time to a handful of characters anyway. Think back to those old issues that are so well loved- how often did the entire cast get involved?

Come out with a series of minis for the LSH. You can cover any era you want, use whatever characters you feel interested in using. I think sustaining an ongoing would be tougher than selling a couple of focused minis a year. And, with less out there, fans will be more hungry to pick it up. Build up excitement for the characters again.

It worked for Birds of Prey... whatever happened to "Because You Demanded It"

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Reboot, deboot, anyhoot, as long as the first page and first issue kicks and the new series holds to basic tenants of the past instead of just colorful characters given Legion names, oldtimers will board and they'll suffer for the group, changes made to their favorites.

Those first pages post World's convinces me. The boards were filled with concerns before that issue about what was about to be done to their comic but when Monel and Tharak battled their way down through the atmosphere I think there was a collective gasp of "cool."

It was the LONG (rather, I should say SLOW) and REPETITIVE arcs that chilled it as I recall. So avoid those too.

Anything but "safe" art will probably always be problematic I suppose.

Start us with a three month max arc of action, throw in clever dialogue, let the art do the characterization for a few issues and I think they'll get a fan base.

LLL

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 15 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  13  14  15   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.