Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH #50 Spoilers (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: LSH #50 Spoilers
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked it. Too bad we couldn't have Francis Manapul art on the inside. Click Here For A SpoilerDream Girl's back at the end.

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerAm I on Super-Crack or did this issue bear almost no resemblance to the solicit, right down to the creative team?

The summary as seen on the DC Website:

It's the final issue! The climactic conclusion of the Universal Annihilation War is here and every Legionnaire, every reservist and even the United Planets' Young Heroes battle to save existence. Also featuring the return of Cosmic Boy, the death of a longtime Legionaire and a gorgeous wraparound cover!

Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Acid Digestion Lad
Legion hopeful

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Acid Digestion Lad   Email Acid Digestion Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Wait...gwuah?? Okay now I gotta go get this book.
From: Bismoll, baby! Yeah!! | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Superboy:
Click Here For A SpoilerAm I on Super-Crack or did this issue bear almost no resemblance to the solicit, right down to the creative team?

The summary as seen on the DC Website:

It's the final issue! The climactic conclusion of the Universal Annihilation War is here and every Legionnaire, every reservist and even the United Planets' Young Heroes battle to save existence. Also featuring the return of Cosmic Boy, the death of a longtime Legionaire and a gorgeous wraparound cover!

Probably the same stuff I'm apparently on. This issue is nothing like that at all. I found it to be rushed and unsatisfying for the most part. No Shooter story to end his Legion run, no Manapul art which made it distracting. No conclusion to most of the plot threads that have been lying around for months. No Princess, no Timebr Wolf, no Cos, no "every Legionnaire, ever", no Young Heroes.

The only 2 positive points are a one panel shot of Wildfire and the return of Nura.

I for one am very disappointed and how this was handled.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like Shooter and Manapul told DC to f-off and went on strike. Don't blame them, really.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy   Email Superboy         Edit/Delete Post     
Click Here For A SpoilerIt wasn't what I was expecting, but I am glad they brought Dream Girl back if nothing else.

Eh...I'm glad they didn't kill Phantom Girl as well. I wasn't really too excited about that.

It's actually kind of a happy ending for this Legion.

I'm really amazed they didn't bring Cosmic Boy back though....that is the huge difference to my thinking.

That could be revealing as to just what has transpired...they decided to use that Cosmic Boy subplot in L03W or elsewhere and rewrote the issue to remove it. This could be basically everything Shooter intended minus the return of Cos, the death of whoever(Phantom Girl I assume) and the huge suppoorting cast. If they did redo this issue on the fly, leaving out the huge cast makes sense for time purposes. And I'm kinda glad they didn't kill Phantom Girl.

It was a hokey hacked out ending but it could have been a lot worse. It could have been a senseless death filled hacked out ending.

No doubt...we'll hear from Shooter at some point exactly what was supposed to happen and what didn't.

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Click Here For A SpoilerI do think it's ironic that one of Shooter's creations takes center stage in the conclusion of Final Crisis this week, yet Shooter himself is regelated to a complete afterthought as a writer in the same exact week.

Not to mention the Parasite takes the stage in Superman this week...and he's also a Shooter creation.

I'll bet they end up using some of Jim's stuff from this run elsewhere in the DC Uni and in future versions of the Legion though...they always have before. And that's the true indicator of Shooter's talent and creativity.

stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Wait, what happened? I don't get my comics till this weekend (LCS is too far from where I work for me to go on workdays) so I was debating, to be spoiled, not to be spoiled, and now it sounds like the spoilers I'm getting are all all wrong.

So serious, what's the lowdown because I think my expectation bubble just got burst.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tromium
Decrystallized

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tromium           Edit/Delete Post     
"Justin Thyme" = Just In Time. No such comic book writer exists. See this link for previous uses of the name:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/06/12/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-159/

Dan Didio is a contemptible fraud. I am mailing this issue back to him, demanding my money back. He took it on false pretenses.

I hope Mr. Shooter will join us someday and tell us how *his* story was supposed to end.

From: Reimagined Trom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

Click Here For A Spoiler
First of all, Cos didn't return, there was no appearance by all major supporting characters and other superteams from this run, and no good guys died except for a UP Diplomat who was deleted.

Basically, the plot is like bad rewrite of Tron or the Matrix. The Destroyers are souless virtual beings who don't actually exist in reality and only exist in a virtual reality of their creation because they uploaded their consciousness into that virtual reality long ago and their physical forms are long since dead. They consider reality evil and are out to eliminate all life from the real Universe. Anything they find of interest or of value is scanned up into their virtual reality while it's physical form is destroyed. Brainy uploads the consciousness of Garth, Imra, Violet, Invisible Kid, Ultraboy, Starboy and Gazele into avatars in the virtual reality to fight them, since the Destroyers can't be fought in reality as it is sort of a virtual virtual reality to them. As this is happening Invisible Kid hands Brainy a cd rom disc [Smile] and asks Brainy to alter his avatar, making him more adult, muscular and handsome to impress Gazelle since she has never seen him.

Meanwhile...Colossal Boy and Chamelon Boy are embroiled in some meaningless side battle of little or no true consequence to the story.

Back in the virtual reality, heroes are doing ok but starting to lose the battle, the Destroyers converge on Brainy and the unconscious real bodies of the Legionnaires in his lab. The Destroyers pileon on Brainy and whup up on him and kill the real bodies of the Legionaires but as this is happening, Lyle who hasn't been able to keep Gazelle off of him with his artificial enhancements, and is getting kind of sick of not being liked for himself, tells Brainy to undo the changes to his avatar. Brainy, now protected by his force shield from the onrushing Destroyers, tells Lyle that he doesn't have time for such nonsense and then Lyle points out that the program he gave Brainy to change his appearance contains the code to create changes in the virtual reality, so Brainy goes a-ha and uploads his force shield into the virtual reality to protect the Legionaires.

So the good guys win but their real bodies were all destroyed. Luckily for us though Brainy had created perfect clones of their real bodies and now downloads the Legionaires consciousness back into the cloned bodies. As he is doing this he also hooks himself up to the machine and downloads Dream Girl from his conciousness into a perfect clone of her body and she's back and she can see again. She says the gang is invited to a wedding and Brainy sheepishly agrees. Smiles all around.

The End.

Oh yeah, when Brainy uploaded his shield he actually did change Lyle back to his true appearance in the VR and Gazele while pretty upset and stunned at first, gets over it once he proves he is an alpha male in spirit by saving all their virtual butts with the program he gave to Brainy.

That is the first summary I have ever written so apologies if it is lame.

Basically the run ends on Dreamy's prediction of her and Brainiac being married coming true.

If I didn't know better I'd think Mark Waid ghosted this issue.

Who is Justin Thyme(the credited writer for this story) anyway?

[ January 28, 2009, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
"Justin Thyme" = Just In Time. No such comic book writer exists. See this link for previous uses of the name:
http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2008/06/12/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-159/

Dan Didio is a contemptible fraud. I am mailing this issue back to him, demanding my money back. He took it on false pretenses.

I hope Mr. Shooter will join us someday and tell us how *his* story was supposed to end.

Wouldn't surprise me if Justin Thyme was Mark Waid...

Edit: or Tony Bedard

[ January 28, 2009, 05:23 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
"Justin Thyme" sounds like the comic book world's answer to Alan Smithee (the official DGA pseudonym used when a director pulls his name off a film and unofficially used in other entertainment industry credits).

This issue sounds incredibly lame after all that build-up. Click Here For A SpoilerSo you're saying there is no resolution to the Projectra plot? She just nearly kills Tinya, scrambles Imra's brain, and sends Brin away -- and none of that is addressed? I suspect TPTB were concerned that the outcome of Shooter's run would have messed up Lo3W (especially if they killed a character), so they rewrote Shooter's original story. Hence, the pseudonym for the writer.

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Askanipsion
Telepath

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Askanipsion   Author's Homepage   Email Askanipsion         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by googoomuck:
I liked it. Too bad we couldn't have Francis Manapul art on the inside. Click Here For A SpoilerDream Girl's back at the end.

How is the art inside?

Click Here For A SpoilerIs Dream Girl still blind and powerless? Does Nura look good in the issue?

Click Here For A Spoilerso a member dies, who is it?

From: South Florida | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

quote:
Originally posted by reckless:
"Justin Thyme" sounds like the comic book world's answer to Alan Smithee (the official DGA pseudonym used when a director pulls his name off a film and unofficially used in other entertainment industry credits).

Yeah it's definitely a fake name, and we have no idea who actually wrote the story. I've been pretty surprised to find out some of the writers that have written these sorts of stories under a fake name before though.

The reason I think it might be Mark Waid or Tony Bedard is that with a book that has fans like the Legion, not to mention the large cast, they usually bring in someone who knows the book and they give them a fake name because the story is going to suck and the fake name protects the writer from embarrasment and fan backlash....I assume it's still a paycheck though.

For instance...when James Robinson "allegedly" nearly left the Superman title a few months ago, the first guy they called for damage control was, "allegedly", Mark Waid, because he knows Superman like few others. And he's been the company man when it comes to the Legion ,since, well pretty much his entire Legion career has been towing the company line.

Click Here For A Spoiler
Somehow, the happy ending(read no deaths), the marriage prediction come true...I just sense Waid's presence here.

quote:

Click Here For A Spoiler

So you're saying there is no resolution to the Projectra plot? She just nearly kills Tinya, scrambles Imra's brain, and sends Brin away -- and none of that is addressed? I suspect TPTB were concerned that the outcome of Shooter's run would have messed up Lo3W (especially if they killed a character), so they rewrote Shooter's original story. Hence, the pseudonym for the writer.

That's exactly what we are saying. But you know...it may actually have been a necessity because of LO3W, not just an insurance policy.

[ January 28, 2009, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

Superboy
RE-RETCONNED

You know now that I think about it...the end result is kind of sinister even though I don't think it was intentional.

Click Here For A SpoilerSince the Destroyers were soulless because they uploaded their conciousness into their selfmade VR and their physical forms died...that means the 7 Legionnaires(and Dream Girl) that went into the VR and had their physical bodies destroyed are now soulless as well. Unless Brainy can clone souls.

[ January 28, 2009, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: Superboy ]

This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.