Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » LSH #50 Spoilers (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: LSH #50 Spoilers
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
superboy, that's the best summary ever.

--------------------
http://www.adrianaferguson.com
http://joteivv.deviantart.com
http://superfuturefriends.blogspot.com

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, that was bad.

What's even worse is for some reason I kept thinking about Ricardo while reading it. I even turned to my wife at one point and said "You know, there's this guy online whose head is going to explode when he sees this."

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
WHAT THA HOLY FRIGGIN 7 LEVELS OF FECAL MATTER BUTT DRIPPIN SLEAZEMONKEY HELL WAS THIS INCREDIBLE PIECE OF COWTURD BATEXCREMENT TOECHEESE SHITE WHAS THIS!

IT JUST...

SHOOTER HAD A DECENT RUN GOING, NOT THE GREATEST BUT DECENT AND DC BASICALLY TOOK THIS TO THE TOILET AND USED IT TO WIPE THEIR HAIRY A....

I'VE TRIED TO BE DECENT ABOUT DC AND DIDIO, BUT THIS RANCID DIAREHHA FROM AN INCONTINENT CAMEL DESERVES TO BE BE SENT BACK TO THEM AFTER PASSING THROUGH THE ANAL CLEFT OF A RABID YAK!

I've seen better writing from a third grader that ate his own boogers and spit on the page!

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
DC simply lied everything about this issue. Everything. It was supposed to be a special 30 page wrap-up. Shooter had it done. I have no idea who that artist is (he probably has the same skills I have. Page 2 makes me almost puke: characters are all out of anything related to perspective and proportion. What is Saturn Girl doing there? Some special yogi thing?
Then, on the other page, the whole concept Shooter created is "redone" to see fit to a completely different thing. I'll return as I finish the whole thing, but so far, it is probably one of the worst books I've ever read. And I thought this kind of attitude from DC was forgotten in the mid-70s... Way to go, Didio!

EDIT: the story is awful. It's probably the worst written book since Green Lantern #48. Or Dan Vado's Justice League. Or Beau Smith's Warrior. But it is worse than that because it is more than just the plot: the whole dialogue is trite. What is that super-tough Invisible Kid on page 6? Or Brainy on page 15? The book reduced everything to a Click Here For A Spoilermonster invasion! What the hell happened on page 16? Click Here For A SpoilerIs it that Lyle became the super 10-year-old?

And that ending... oh, don't get me started. It is unfortunate that I am in Brazil, but I'd return it to DC for false advertising and for doing what they did. I hope to see some backlash on Didio SOON through Newsarama and CBR.

[ January 28, 2009, 09:26 PM: Message edited by: Ricardo ]

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for veryvery   Author's Homepage   Email veryvery         Edit/Delete Post     
oh god i'm still giggling about how bad this was...the cd...

i wonder if they kicked him off after that interview... since, yes by that interview, it seemed like it was written, yes? or maybe we were reading it wrong and he was kicked off BEFORE finishing issue 50? any ideas?

i was expecting some sort of tie in to LO3W/the new legion or something....

as for the solicit, ricardo, dude, it's not like they can foretell the future. stuff happens. i don't think dc intentionally meant to mislead its readers. those solicits come out very far in advance, i don't know if we've had this dicussion before but that's diamond's need for a billion years in the future solicits, and everyone is diamond's bitch :/ when i did write ups for solicits they were really far in advance, even though we were a tiny company. they HAVE to be.

i'm really surprised by this, i guess they thought L03W would be on time and wanted to end it at this time. otherwise i'd think they'd push the deadline back, you know? but i think didio is trying to have books on time where he can. i guess l03w is the bigger/much more complicated/important thing so more time was given to it...

since we're throwing out theories...

the people that feel like shooter's being horrifically dishonored, i think you're missing ANOTHER possibility here: that what was originally planned might have been something really. really. really bad. because guys. think about it. THIS...replaced whatever shooter made. REPLACED. maybe there was some editorial decision made here, guys, where they thought THIS was a better idea/solution than SOMETHING ELSE that was already going on.

Another, very obvious possibility: i think most of this would have probably happened in shooter's version, but this was a more condensed version of it. this smells a lot like #47. read them side by side, i don't think it's that far off from shooter's version.

man. what a disaster. either way, too many cooks in the kitchen never make a good book.

gazelle's codename should be changed to "hedgehog".

--------------------

From: Seattle | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by veryvery:
the people that feel like shooter's being horrifically dishonored, i think you're missing ANOTHER possibility here: that what was originally planned might have been something really. really. really bad. because guys. think about it. THIS...replaced whatever shooter made. REPLACED. maybe there was some editorial decision made here, guys, where they thought THIS was a better idea/solution than SOMETHING ELSE that was already going on.

That is not possible. NOTHING could have been worse than this issue.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

did you READ #47?!!

--------------------

Ricardo
Adult Legion Reservist

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ricardo   Author's Homepage   Email Ricardo         Edit/Delete Post     
veryvery

Sorry, but Shooter cannot do something as bad as this is. It's just that even when he was 13 years old, he wrote better than this. It's just that simple.
Two: you can open DC site and it is STILL there: written by Shooter, art by Manapul. So, technically, it wasn't really well-planned. I'd go with the idea that Shooter's plans would "jeopardize" L3W (that awesome book about... Green Lantern and Superboy-Prime) and thus, since Shooter is a pro, but not spineless, he refused to do so much changing. Then comes who ever was walking on DC hallways to write that thing. It was probably the janitor.

From: Brasil | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Very, i have to disagree. I do think that the basic elements of Shooter's story were used, and possibly even some of what he wrote, but...

Its obvious that a lot was changed to drop the story from 30 pages to 22. It's obvious that there was a cut and paste effort here, and that if shooters stuff was used quite a bit of what he did was jettisoned, and therefore the basic story suffered. I will say that shooter probably wrote the basic storyline, but that someone somewhere did a hatchet job on it, and it shows.

And given that many of us bought the book even though it was a reboot we disliked, and that many of us were in fact enjoying what shooter was doing on a horrible restart, this was an insult to us, the customers.

I could have stood a five page narrative wrapup, a casefile telling the epic conclusion of the story and then the other items that the solicite stated, like a return of Cos, better than this horrible junk.

I can see a simple framing sequence, someone from the group that Waid Kitson used telling the story of the legion beating the data ripper creatures. The rest of the book could have been tying up loose ends. That would have worked much better. I wouldn't have liked it, but i could have understood it. This left out nearly everything from the run.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
veryvery
Applicant

oh wait. this looks much better to me now that i finished final crisis. oh my god. superman just Click Here For A Spoilerkilled darkseid by singing at him. maybe. i'm pretty sure

i feel faint. i'm going to go drink heavily and wait for this to pass.

NEXT WEEK ADVENTURE COMICS!! this was bad but...maybe manapul was saving up all his powers for that back up story!! let's look forward to hte future. use alcohol to help!

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. I'm no fan of the threeboot but if it has indeed ended in the way you guys & gals describe then that is some seriously messed up s**t.

I feel really bad for all those people who were actually enjoying this run.

I definitely think you should kick up a stink about it too. Write to Newsarama. Write to CBR. Get your complaints heard. And get an explanation from Didio. If one of you can get a resignation letter from him too then I'll buy you a banyo fruit milkshake! [Smile]

I haven't seen the art yet and though I'm sure it is probably as terrible as you all say, I think maybe we should go easy on the poor man/lady. It was probably a very rushed assignment for them too and not a true indicator of their talent (I hope).

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arm Fall Off Boy
Now starring in his own DC Comic, September 2011!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arm Fall Off Boy   Email Arm Fall Off Boy         Edit/Delete Post     

I'm really stunned. I took one look at the wraparound cover and it was pretty striking.
Then I took another look and saw "FINAL ISSUE!"
It was like
THE LAST ONE, YOU PATHETIC LEGION GEEKS!! WE KNOW YOU'LL BUY IT!!
Seriously, how proud was DC to end this??

Page 1-With Garth's build up, I expected to see an innumerable crowd of Legionnaire wannabe's from the early part of this Threeboot, and then, I TURNED THE PAGE AND...

6 people pictured. What a letdown.

It actually took me to page 2 to realize it wasn't FJM on the art. The minute I saw the 6 people I realized-somebody can't draw crowds. Francis?? No. I saw Saturn Girl, and I went, "What the heck?!?!" The rest were passable, and I have to say though, it was better than #47, but so are most kindergarteners' art attempts. I didn't even notice the "Justin Thyme" credit.

The best art in the book was actually the NY ComicCon ad after page 5.

Speaking of the artist, he really likes to draw Saturn Girl's boobs. Just glance over them throughout. They're HUGE.

Honestly, the story itself. We now know why last issue was good-it was Jim Shooter going out with a bang. Honestly, I believe it was his massively detailed layouts/script. Then someone else came in and tweaked it, but just enough to where he couldn't begiven, or wouldn't want, credit. It was just rushed enough and confusing enough, but Brainy actually sounded like Brainy, as did some of the others.

Gazelle worshipping Invisible Kid? What is that all about? And when did she use any of her power? For that matter, what about Saturn Girl? How worthless was she? I had to get all the way to the end and more "What the Heck?" moments. Phantom Girl is suddenly peachy keen fine; The "One Evil" Princess was nowhere to be found; No T-Wolf; and throughout, Chameleon has antennae, which has been established in 3boot to only be when he encounters a new life form or shape to copy. Somebody didn't do their homework.

No Cos. Nobody died-good, but a lie. Every Legionnaire! I think I found my "Lies! All Lies! lie for today."

I think I would have preferred a white out.

Bad, very, bad, and very unsatisfying.

Count me in on the DC backlash. What a disappointment.

--------------------
Long Live all them Legions!

From: North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reckless
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reckless   Email reckless         Edit/Delete Post     
Why can't Shooter have a blog where he could reveal what really happened with this issue? That is a story I would love to read.

My guess is that he turned in a script that contained everything the solicit mentioned (as well as wrapped up the Projectra storyline). But that script may even have been what he planned for the original length Shooter intended. Then, Didio decided to condense everything, and had his hacks condense it into a single issue and come up with an alternative explanation for the Destroyers, because there sure was no way to do give them their full due in a single issue. I suspect some of the general ideas were Shooter's -- who the Destroyers are, how Brainy finds a way to "upload" some of the Legion, and how he brings them and Nura back to life -- but I doubt they removety reflect his vision for the story. (As I mentioned regarding 49, it seemed to me that the story was set up for a "hunt for Timber Wolf" plot ala S/LSH 239 -- with Projectra's attack on Tinya mimicking Brin's style, Projectra sending Brin away, and the other Legionnaires speculating that the missing Brin was the attacker -- but that got dropped with Tinya's "I fell" memory. I could see Shooter accepting that change and leaving his name on the script, but then removing his name when he saw how bastardized the final version of No. 50 became.)

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow. I'm stunned and haven't even seen the issue yet. I don't think there's ever been such a unanimously condemned issue of the Legion.

It probably would have been better to just leave it all hanging with #49, and let the fans make up their own endings.

I also would like to read how Shooter intended - originally - for the story to play out.

Maybe I'll scan my issue, copy it to a CD-ROM and send it to DC. Or send it back shredded. Assuming it's as bad as everyone says.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
WTF??? What happened? Is this some sort of DC joke?
I just picked up my copy yesterday but didn't get around to reading it until late last night... boy was I unpleasantly surprised!

I feel cheated and insulted, plain and simple. Shame on you Dan Didio and Paul Levitz as well (he is his boss after all) for letting this garbage make its way to the news stands/comic shops everywhere.
Are we supposed to just take this? Is this how we are rewarded for staying with a title for 50 issues? THIS is how the DC senior staff caps off a 50th anniversary of a beloved franchise?
Well I am very dissapointed, as well as everyone on this website. We got screwed over at the very last minute and didn't even see it coming. It was all kept hush-hush on purpose, just to make it sting all that much more I guess.
This is truly what DiDio feels about the Legion, the fans, and the history of this great team in general ... there we have it folks, in the form of this lousy last issue. We didn't even get the decency of watching Shooter and Francis finish off their run on the title. Instead we get a "Justin Tyme" cowardly writer to spew garbage for 22 pages (instead of the promised 30) and a pathetic first year art student to draw this what should have been the comic of the year (with all the 50th anniversary anticipation)!
Talk about spitting on all your loyal fans!

I am beside myself, I don't know what else to say......
Is there a chance that we will see a Shooter-written version in the future? One where everything promised in the solicits see the light of day? The Projectra arc, the death of a long-time Legionnaire, and the return of Cosmic Boy?
Who knows? This can't be the last word can it??

The only plus was returning Dream Girl to life, although even with that I would have preferred for her to return with no memory prior to that wall falling on her and killing her. Instead we get a Nura who's in love with Brainy (huh?) and ready to get married! WTF????

I've said enough. I'm tired of everything. I don't even think its worth buying the last few issues of LO3W at this point as I don't want to be let down again. It can't happen for me. I like this franchise way too much to watch it dissolve the way DC seems to be stearing it to that end.

What an irresponsible way to run a comic business Mr. Didio and Mr. Levitz.
Shame on you both.

Fini

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.