Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » S&LSH #231: "A Day in the Death of a World" (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: S&LSH #231: "A Day in the Death of a World"
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I found this at my LCS the other day at a reasonable price. I've only read a couple other issues from Levitz's brief 70s run. This was the first one to really impress me. The story more than justifies its 34-page length, with the Legion working on evacuating a doomed planet while at the same time battling the Fatal Five, who want the planet's sun to go nova. James Sherman's art is phenomenal -- detailed, dynamic, and atmospheric. I especially like the full-page battle spread on page 23.

Who else has read this issue? Like it? Dislike it?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
This is a great issue. It was the perfect use of the extra size format, and, I think, one of the best single issue Legion stories of the 70s.

Sherman did great work. Important note, though. Mike Nasser did the pencils on the second half of the story and wasn't given credit in that issue. He did great work also, and one hardly notices the change in style while reading the story. Huge editorial mistake. They gave him credit in the letter column of a later issue.

[ October 03, 2009, 01:23 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I have had this issue twice. I wore the first one out and it fell apart. guess how I feel about it. [Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
that was my FIRST Legion issue that I BOUGHT it with my own money (from hard earned allowance from my parents). I saw it on the rack through the window at 7-11 after I begged my Dad to take me there. I was the happiest kid on the whole block that I bought it! [Smile]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have the issue, but I don't remember the story all that well. The F5's previous appearance in # 219 stands out more to me.

I agree that Sherman was a phenomenal artist; unfortunately, for most of his run he was paired with unsuitable inkers who reduced the detail in his artwork, rendering it cartoonish. I don't know if this is true for # 231 (I'm too lazy to check), but Sherman's earlier issues, particularly # 225 (Wildfire's election as leader) stand out as highlights of his run.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the behind-the-scenes tidbit, Jerry. I like Nasser's uncredited work on this issue better than I like most of what I've seen of his other work.

I forgot to mention Mike Grell's cover. Considering that at that point Grell had not long ago burned out on the Legion, this is IMO one of his better pieces of Legion art from the second half of the 70s.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
This issue always finds itself in my list of top 10 fave single-issue LSH stories.

Now I want to re-read it...

LSH book club, anyone? Everyone who wants to re-read it this week, we meet back here this weekend and post?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think I've ever read this.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Great, great story. Lash first told me about this story years ago and I finally bought it the day I met Pov in 2004. It's a perfect example of a done in one story done completely right. Tension, character dynamics, a sense of a journey throughout--and fantastic art.

Highly recommended.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

You really should back-issue bin it... It's an oversize tale, and totally worth the equivalent of what you might pay today if it was coming out new ($5-$6?). I really have no idea what LSH backissues cost anymore...

One thing I like about it, is it makes the Fatal 5 BADASSES.

SEMI
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

I mean, Mano, the Persuader and Validus stomp all over Colossal Boy, Shadow Lass, Saturn Girl, Ultra Boy, Mon-el AND Superboy. That's an ALL-STAR lineup getting pulped.

That's just 3 of the 5.

The issue is Levitz' most finely choreographed battle sequence EVER... it made me want to write a fight-scene as well as he did...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
It's a perfect example of a done in one story done completely right. Tension, character dynamics, a sense of a journey throughout--and fantastic art.

Highly recommended.

This should go on the inside cover of the prestige reprint DC should do of it.

--------------------

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Fatal Five being "bad-assed"? Well I thought that it was Karate Kid who stole the spotlight - he kicked the Titanium steel door and faced the Five all alone! He truly kicked the ass! my gosh.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I like that there was a LOT going on within the framework of a tense bigger plot. Excellent characterization.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the entire issue. Can't think of a single thing that was disappointing about it. The art was fantastic. Direct, Simple, Clean, yet not amatuerish in any fashion. If someone had handed this book to the director of Batman and Robin and said "this is why there appears to be neon on everyone, its using light and coloring to give shading and depth you idiot" I think that would have some Shumacker what he was getting wrong.

I even liked the concept of the axe cutting gravity. Don't think anyone has had persuader fly since using the axe.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
I don't think I've ever read this.

Did you read it yet?

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.