Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Taurus Gang (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Taurus Gang
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's a pencil sketch I did of the TG. They sure are a bunch of ugly, dough-y lookin' guys. But then there's the beautiful Mystelor and the elf-ish Quanto.  -

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Dean, lovely sketch as ever. I don't remember the Taurus Gang. What's a nice girl like Mystelor doing with a bunch of guys like that?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

They came along during the Action Comics issues. Win Mortimer was the artist at the time. I think Mystelor didn't really know what she was getting into. She ended up leaving the gang with Quanto, who is a being from another dimension. He considers himself to be better than humans of this universe, and was sent by his superiors to learn some kind of lesson. What he decided was to take Mystelor under his wing and explore the galaxy, helping her find her reason for living.

This is what I recall from reading the story and their Who's Who installment. I could have some facts a bit hazy.

I like to draw current renditions of Win Mortimer's characters because they were generally fairly bland. His craftsmanship wasn't all that great. However, he was more than capable as a storyteller, and his girls were very attractive and, I must say, GROOVY! (It was the late 60's/early 70's, IIRC.)
[Saturn Girl]

Thank you for the compliment.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Dean, that is some pretty tight pencils for a sketch! Nice! And your Mystelor reminds me of somewhere but I can't quite place her. Did you have anyone particular in mind when doing her or just do it from memory?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Shagrek looks like Ed Asner ... hehe [Wink] More great work Dean!
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

I didn't have anyone in particular in mind for Mystelor, just a beautiful lady.

Hah! Shagrek does look like Ed Asner! I remember how Mr.Grant seemed to be hunched over a lot, too. Perfect to play the Shagster!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Thanks Dean, lovely sketch as ever. I don't remember the Taurus Gang. What's a nice girl like Mystelor doing with a bunch of guys like that?

FC: The Taurus Gang actually appeared towards the end of the Adventure run (around # 375 or so) They were lead by Chief Zoltorus of the Science Police (cop gone bad)

It was a pretty good story as I recall and Dean has certainly gotten the right feel in his sketch for all of them. (Mystelor was as stunning when originally drawn as Dean's version of her.) I always wanted to see more of her and Quanto but to my knowledge they never appeared in a Legion story again.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Thanks for filling in the details, V. I always kinda lump all the Win Mortimer issues into the Action era. My bad. He did draw a lovely Mystelor. He drew several beautiful female bit players and villains, actually.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Amazing...simply brilliant. as for Mystelor, she kind of looks like Lucy Lui....a beauty but deadly and effective! like she did in Charlie's Angels movies.
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I have GOT to spend more time in this forum or I risk missing stuff like this!!

MISSION: DIABOLICAL was the name of the tale, and the issue # is ADVENTURE COMICS # 374.

Back when I was a wee lad, collecting back issues of The Legion, this was an early favorite, for multiple reasons.

Most importantly, it featured EVERY Legionnaire to minor extent, but focused on an odd combination of 5: Matter-Eater Lad, Dream Girl, Supergirl, Element Lad and Ultra Boy. Certainly not your usual grouping of Legionnaires. I was always so curious why SCORPIUS hand-picked these 5 to go up against THE TAURUS GANG.

Dean, I was pleased to hear you give Win Mortimer's art some compliments. I am of the notion that he doesn't get the respect he deserves. I certainly agree he drew GROOVY chicks! :-D

Your sketch made me smile!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
you know....when I finished reading that, I often got the feeling that Quanto and Mystelor would return to the Legion sometimes soon...and I was waiting and waiting. Darn Zero Hour! I would like very much to see them soon in Legion....someday....someday someone who listens here and fulfills many of our wishes. [Smile]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I have GOT to spend more time in this forum or I risk missing stuff like this!!

Glad you're here, Lash! Bits is my kinda place! I find myself weirdly drawn to the Mortimer era as well as bit players in the Legion. I have great fun depicting those characters for some reason.

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Looks like Dean needs to do a new Taurus Gang sketch!

-

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Most importantly, it featured EVERY Legionnaire to minor extent, but focused on an odd combination of 5: Matter-Eater Lad, Dream Girl, Supergirl, Element Lad and Ultra Boy. Certainly not your usual grouping of Legionnaires. I was always so curious why SCORPIUS hand-picked these 5 to go up against THE TAURUS GANG.

Hmmm. I'm wondering if Scorpius were shooting for obscurer, lesser-knowns?

Tenz and Nura were not featured regularly, Ultra Boy was likely overshadowed by Supes and Mon, while Supergirl could be the least-seen heavyhitter of all. Jan kinda wasn't featured all that much either, maybe? I dunno, I'm reaching. But it fits.

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I posted this on the supporting character thread but she really goes here -  -

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.