Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic) (Page 29)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  58  59  60   
Author Topic: Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic)
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks Cobie and Cru. Feedback means a lot since I really don't write much. I have a LOT more fun with the PCG as ex-super villians than I did trying to make them bad guys way back when.
..and I've finally found a "Blue" that works. He'll be around.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
What a wonderful beginning for the LMB 80-page giant:

Cobie's sad plight of Gladys the sentient disco ball
Stealth's Amora the babysitter (why don't they all speak like that?)
Miner's short short stories
Colonel Wellesley's quest for Tamper Lad's sacred books (Hey! He forgot Das Kapital!) and a tale which has made me swear off vanilla pudding forever
YK's clothes-shopping Fatal Five, with a fast-talking Sea Monkey ad
Sketchy's tale of Schemer Lass - and the lead-in to Spafinger!
Rocky's barnyard heroes/Old Dutch origin

And the more serious stories : B rescuing Frio (please continue Cali!)
The nefarious plots of Tempus
Chuck & Tony (great new origin for Bouncing Boy!)
Pov flinging gold coins around, who was really Seahorse - two of the most beloved LMB heroes
and a wonderful story for this R.J. fan in the character of Engine Joe.

But who is Angra Metternich? I must have missed a chunk of LMB history. (MUST READ OMNIA!)

I like to imagine that I would be playing billiards with the girls on Ventura but to call Cobie a pig? I must have been joking!

Congratulations to everyone who is participating. I've got two more stories to read through and hope to see more!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Actually, FC, you won't find Metternich in "Omnia". He/She/It was a big part of last summer's "Invasion!" roleplay event! If you have some time on your hands, use "search" on the MMB and look for "Invasion" as the key word. Of the numerous threads, Metternich was most heavily featured in "Dark Oval Embassy" and the eponymous "Invasion!" thread.

However, "Omnia" is more highly recommended as it reads as one huge story, and it gives you a feel for what all happened in Invasion as it segues from that event's aftermath into its own huge mega-story. Give it a few pages, and you'll see it come together! [Big Grin]

Thanks for the kind words for "Chuck and Tony" and "Interview" with a legend. In LMB continuity, Brande is both the LMB's Superboy and its R.J!

When you read "Nothing Sacred!", well....it's differnet...from the other two! [Big Grin]

More Chuck goodness is on the horizon as well...

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the tip, Lardy! I've got more catching up to do than I reckoned - but Omnia is definitely on the list.

A big nod to Set for his expansive and delightful Emerald Legion. It really was like an alternate universe, with so many interesting twists on familiar characters. The Rokk-Garth-Imra triangle was very believable. Their core characters from the Legion comic were there, but they seemed more like real people with more complicated relationships. I had a good laugh over Lydda's re-imagined beehive - but it was pleasing to see her with a very strong character for a change.

Although he only had a short appearance, Orin Fex was one of my favorites. He was pretty snooty in the DnA series, and came across even better (or worse) in your story, with supporting comments from other gossipy diplomats.

I always like to see backstories and explanations for the way things are, so it was very cool to have bits like the Venegarians with limited spectrum eyesight, not to mention the insights into the history of Braal, Winath and Titan.

Just one negative comment: I know it must have taken a long time to put all of Sarya's words in green, but I found it very hard to read against the blue background of my screen.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for the kind words, FC. This has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions also. There is so much talent around here!

FC raises a good point, though. Invasion, Omnia and now this have all added quite a bit to LMB history in a fairly short time. Perhaps the History of the LMB thread needs to be updated (hint, hint, Cobie [Wink] ).

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Rocky-- I loved your little story about the pup! It was so adorable.
Tamper-- You know the Colonel has my love. So hilarious.

Great work boys!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
A big nod to Set for his expansive and delightful Emerald Legion.
Thanks! Glad it entertained someone other than its author. [Smile]

quote:
It really was like an alternate universe, with so many interesting twists on familiar characters. The Rokk-Garth-Imra triangle was very believable.
I had a lot of fun playing up stuff that I don't recall seeing as much of in the comics, such as why these three teens left their home-worlds, despite (in Garth's case) a rural upbringing and strong family ties and (in Rokk's case) practical 'rock-star' status on Braal and (in Imra's case) a fairly self-focused race (telepaths being generally more comfortable among fellow telepaths, in most depictions).

Each needed a 'reason' to be leaving the nest, so I had some fun with that.

quote:
I had a good laugh over Lydda's re-imagined beehive - but it was pleasing to see her with a very strong character for a change.
Lydda came out of nowhere. The bit about Rokk mentioning that someone grabbed his ass in the dark was a completely random quip, and suddenly there was Jath, and they were married, and then Kathoon turned into 30th century Themiscrya! She just took over! She's kinda pushy that way...

quote:
Although he only had a short appearance, Orin Fex was one of my favorites. He was pretty snooty in the DnA series, and came across even better (or worse) in your story, with supporting comments from other gossipy diplomats.
The Winathian Ambassadors ended up being my version of Statler and Waldorf (or Crowe T. Robot and Tom Servo). Veanli Guampti, the triple-threat seductress from Cargg, was another favorite. I had a lot of fun with the background characters!

quote:
I always like to see backstories and explanations for the way things are, so it was very cool to have bits like the Venegarians with limited spectrum eyesight, not to mention the insights into the history of Braal, Winath and Titan.
I wanted that stuff to make sense, for my own purposes, and ended up having to cut a bunch of it out, because it was turning *way* too exposition-y. I hate exposition, it messes up the 'flow.'

If you like that sort of meta-stuff, there's more in my Author's Notes on my web-site.

quote:
Just one negative comment: I know it must have taken a long time to put all of Sarya's words in green, but I found it very hard to read against the blue background of my screen.
I'm a bit blue-green color-blind, so it's even more of a bother for me. Between my posts messing up the thread, and my own difficulties reading my posts, I ended up tossing it all on my web-site for my own convenience!

I *considered* making Imra's text pink, Rokk's purple and Garth's yellow, but green-i-fying Sarya's text was so much of a pain that I said 'sprock that.' I was going to strip out the green text, but left it in for the sake of the Emerald Exhibit theme. [Smile]

Glad you liked the story Fat Cramer, thanks for the kind words!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Ha ha ha
Ventura was/is priceless.

Y'know, considering some of the traditional LMB hijinks it might be advisable to start a "bail-money" fund at the Security Office.
Scotty needs his sleep...and I've always gotten the feeling Gary would say, "Call me after they sleep it off!"

I really like the short pieces spread out between the lengthier stories. It reminds me of the real 80 Page Giants. Perhaps a "reprint" from the classic LMB days ought to be inserted somewhere?

Hhmmmm, maybe next year a LMBP Secret Files and Origins might be in order?

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
Thanks for the kind words, FC. This has been a lot of fun so far.

I'm enjoying everyone's contributions also. There is so much talent around here!

FC raises a good point, though. Invasion, Omnia and now this have all added quite a bit to LMB history in a fairly short time. Perhaps the History of the LMB thread needs to be updated (hint, hint, Cobie [Wink] ).

That's like the fourth request for that in the last few weeks Rocky [Big Grin]

Perhaps its time to revisit? I'll let my current onevision finish (its 90% written at this point) and maybe switch gears there. I like doing different stuff so it'll be a good shift.

Honestly, from Invasion to Omnia to the Onevisions and short stories, there has been a tremendous amount of LMB-related stuff happening! We may have hit our Levitz era! [Big Grin]

This time though, I'll be demanding help. First up will be LMB: Infinite Crisis [Eek!]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

EDE's story (so far) about Brainy recreating the lost eyes of Ekron shows the green kid at his best i.e. the polymath Brainy.

The concept of distant simultaneity isn't one that I've personally worried about, but it did make me think about the absence of different time zones in Legion stories. No matter which planet they contact, nobody has ever said "It's 3 a.m. here! You got me out of bed!" Which would be an entirely different story....

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
When you read "Nothing Sacred!", well....it's differnet...from the other two! [Big Grin]

Indeed! very, uh, Chaucerian. Still, I liked the gender surprises.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:

Indeed! very, uh, Chaucerian. Still, I liked the gender surprises.
Looks like you were searching for something flattering to say about it, FC! [Big Grin]

Actually, it's not meant to be taken seriously. When I conceived it, I thought "Nothing Sacred!" would be the kind of iconic story that would show Lardy and Cobie at the height of their debaucherous period. There's actually been very little written down, mostly just vague references and entendres. So here's something that people can refer to and say, "man, they sure were sleazeballs!"

But they've come a long way, both now being in committed, monogamous relationships. And really, it would've never worked for me if I didn't come up with the twist you mentioned, something to turn it back on them--even though Lardy apparently was unfazed!

I also tried to show that the two weren't exactly alike, even back then. Notice Cobalt has reservations while Lardy has absolutely NONE. If you've ever read "Turning Point", FC, you'll see how Lardy's romantic views were shaped.

Links, if you haven't: part one and part two

I'm very proud of this story!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Just looking for a different kind of compliment, Lardy. Chaucer was pretty bawdy - and a great storyteller, if you can get past the language. I wonder what he would have done with Profem or the Grandin Gender Reversal Germ - but it would certainly have involved nuns and a couple of guys running like mad.

I really liked Set's fill-in-the-background on the Tromian massacre of Daxam because it explains the genocide without making the Tromians into total evildoers - and also explains their current highly-spiritual orientation. It gives Jan more of an edge than he has had in the series so far, which is good.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I really liked Set's fill-in-the-background on the Tromian massacre of Daxam because it explains the genocide without making the Tromians into total evildoers - and also explains their current highly-spiritual orientation. It gives Jan more of an edge than he has had in the series so far, which is good.
Thanks again! I definitely wanted to see more of that, and I imagine that WaK won't have time to do anything with it, given their imminent departure.

I really felt like that was something that just *had* to be dealt with, and Mon-El's being snatched away before it got dealt with felt like I was robbed. (Then again, issue 1 mentioned off-handedly that Daxam was against the Legion movement, and Sun Boy mentioned having to do something about that, so it seems that in the WaK-era, *someone* is living on Daxam...)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

I'm trying to throw together a Blackout/Tasmia Mallor piece for the 80 pg giant and also trying to wrap my brain around a versus piece for this month. I hope to have one of those plotted out well enough to write it next week.

I for one am really looking forward to the text pieces and more art for this one.

btw,Drake I remember that from your proposed cover(s). Your work is just beautiful. Thanks for reposting that.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... I find the basic premise of Lash's new story to be quite implausible. I mean... how could me and him going to karaoke possibly lead to any kind of trouble? [Wink]
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  58  59  60   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.