Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic) (Page 56)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60   
Author Topic: Critic's Corner (post here about any fanart or fanfic)
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
A question/query for Abin: Wasn't My Whee Fem still cack-sized last time we saw her, or was that finally undone off- or on-camera?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
She was but Since Cobie wrote her back to normal in Oval we decided she recovered off camera. It's another of those "untold tales of the LMBP" that need to be told.

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm trying to decide what to do for my next project, and would like some data. It might involve parodying or traveling to places in British literature.

What Hogwarts House do you think your characters would be sorted in?

Emily Sivana- Ravenclaw for the same reason Ron was in Gryffindor and Draco was in Slytherin; family tradition overrides individual interest.
Sebastian Sage- Slytherin because he simply has too much ambition to be a Hufflepuff. I guess he would be a good Slytherin because after he becomes rich he's still unhappy and restless and doesn't understand why, which is ultimately why he joined the LMB.

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Ex, I just LOVE how all of this is tying in to Yellow Kid's PCG mythos. I always found what history I knew of the PCG facinating, and no one else living seems to understand it as well as you do. I think Art would be proud to see you were exploring...and expanding...his rich universe! I tried to pay some small homage to Art's characters in "The Covenant" and "The Lord of the Oval", but I believe there's no one who can honor that part of his legacy like you can.

In some ways this feels like the sort of coda story to the PCG you had discussed with some of us a while ago. But if you ever feel like doing more with those characters in the future, "color" me in support of it!

Bravo, Ex! [Hug]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks so much, Lardy. Art was really blessed with not only amazing imagination, but also a very evident love for his characters. If I was able to convey just a little bit of that in that last chapter, it was only by standing on the shoulders of a giant, albeit a Gay Green Giant.

On a more general note, I do want to say what an amazing time it is right now to be a part of the Legion World creative community!

Every day I hop on, there are just so many great things happening in Bits. I really feel like this may be one of the most exciting and prolific periods for fiction on Legion World... ever!

From Omni's Post Zero work, to Emily's Charltonburg stories, to the 21st Century Legion Saga (which, if I'm not mistaken has been going on for nine years!) to the works of razsolo (which - to be totally frank - is probably the best Legion fan fiction I've ever read. Seriously, Raz... you are an amazing writer!)

And then there's the Lord of the Oval. What you guys have accomplished with this collaboration is nothing short of mind-blowing. I really kick myself for not having gotten in on the ground floor on that one.

I always get a kick out of how it's labeled as a "Novella", though. A general guide for a novella - at least the standard used by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America - is 17,500 to 40,000 words. Just for S&G I ran a word count on LotO... over 332,000 words! Novella? You guys are writing an Encyclopedia Set! [Smile]

But seriously, I am so glad I'm a part of such a wonderfully talented group of people. I can't wait to see what's up next!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Only 332,000?!?!?!

Guys, we better step it up a notch!

Ex, I totally agree that this is one hell of a good time for Bits. So much fun to come on in and see who posted what on any given day.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, ditto about this being a great time for Bits. I was thinking that myself, lately. Now, I'm on record as being way more interested in reading stories set in the shared LMBverse than I am for reading fanfic based on DC, Marvel, Legion, etc. I'm just so invested in the LMB characters that I love to see it deepened and enriched. Plus, it feels like those stories "matter", if you understand what I mean.

HOWEVER...hearing all this enthusiasm for the fanfic is infectious, and I may just break with policy on the matter when I have some time. Everyone should write what they're passionate about, and if the love is there, I'm sure it will be worth reading.

As for the "Novella", well, when Cobie, Dev and I envisioned it, perhaps we were thinking it might be shorter? Honestly, we never anticipated the level of participation, commitment and passion all the various posters contributing to this story would bring! The last time we did something like this (with "Omnia"), we started with lots of participants but really only ended up with just myself, Cobie and Rocky about halfway through (though we still ended up with, IIRC, 18 or 19 pages there). In the home stretch of "Oval", we have 5 super-active contributors and several others who still pop in when they have time. It's been the greatest collaborative effort I've ever been a part of and just leaves me hungry to do more and more of it in the future!

So...should we rename it "LMB Novel...", guys? How many pages in, say, a paperback would 332,000 words make? [Hmmm?]

Aso, Ex....it's STILL not too late to contribute something to "Oval", damnit! I'd love to see you write some scenes with your character to fit in somehow in Weber's World or something. We'd love to have ya!!!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
A quick check of the web led me to these word counts of some well known books:

Fahrenheit 451 46,118
Crime and Punishment 211,591
Lonesome Dove 365,712
The Stand 464,218
War and Peace 587,287

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

^That word count has GOT to be wrong on C&P!

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

It's around that on several sites. That exact count or really close. [shrug]
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Aso, Ex....it's STILL not too late to contribute something to "Oval", damnit! I'd love to see you write some scenes with your character to fit in somehow in Weber's World or something. We'd love to have ya!!!

I have a line in my "1 hour before" post establishing Ex on Weber's World, and I have a short scene in mind mentioning him later after the battle [Wink] So yeah, we'd love to have ya jump right in!

This SO is a novel, and as Ex says it's a really great time to be on Bits [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Emily Sivana:

What Hogwarts House do you think your characters would be sorted in?

I wonder if IB's different selves could be sorted into different Houses. He has a lot of facets.

Overall though, I'd still say Gryffindor.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Man! I thought C&P was one of the longer classics out there--guess I was wrong! Well, fuck! We're longer than "Crime and Punishment"! [Elastic Lad]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

...but are we going to rival Lord of the Rings for epilogs?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Well, Rocky, Des and I wrote, I think, EIGHTEEN EPIS(!) for "Omnia", so I've a feeling we'll shatter that record and make RotK's look concise by comparison! [LOL]

--------------------

razsolo
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for razsolo   Author's Homepage   Email razsolo         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
From Omni's Post Zero work, to Emily's Charltonburg stories, to the 21st Century Legion Saga (which, if I'm not mistaken has been going on for nine years!) to the works of razsolo (which - to be totally frank - is probably the best Legion fan fiction I've ever read. Seriously, Raz... you are an amazing writer!)

Wow, thanks Ex! I am well chuffed! [Big Grin]

It is awesome to see so much stuff being posted in here...I am kind of the opposite of what Lard Lad said in that I am really more interested in fanfic based on existing Marvel/DC characters because I already know the characters, but it's really cool to see that there is stuff being updated all the time whenever I am in here regardless [Smile]

--------------------
Read the alternate adventures of the Legion after Legion of Three Worlds!
postlo3w

Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 60 pages: 1  2  3  ...  53  54  55  56  57  58  59  60   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.