Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Hey, kids! Design a hero and win a trip to DC HQ! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Hey, kids! Design a hero and win a trip to DC HQ!
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
You might enjoy trying a Create Your Own Super Hero "contest" that DC is running. By going here you can choose shapes and colors of seven aspects of "your own" character.

I found out about it when browsing in the store through "Justice League Adventures," with Hawkgirl on the cover ... winged woman, natch.

It's a fairly obvious imitation of the infinitely more customizable HeroMachine, but it's also a good way to get your feet wet with the concept. I've included my own Bruce-Timm-ish result below ... winged girl, natch.

You can even print your creation out ... but you have to first choose his or her fave Hostess snack to do so. My "Silverbird" says she likes HoHos. (I bit-twiddled that word balloon outta there when I screen-captured what Shockwave Flash had generated.)

You can enter the "contest" (random drawing) by giving e-mail address and birth date, whether you make a "hero" or not. Deadline is Leap Year / Oscar-cast Day.

The first, last, and singular prize is having your own likeness and that of "your hero" (if any) drawn into a DC book, being flown with a guest to New York for three days, and getting a "VIP tour" of the DC offices. Where you can exhort Paul Levitz to print more Legion post-boot trade paperbacks ... or whatever.

-

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm there! (If for only the free trip to NY and the DC Offices!)

Thanks for the heads up, Grey! [Smile]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
Some other informative and (well, to me) entertaining notes ...

~ The drawing is only for residents of the 50 U.S. states and Dee Cee. Sorry, our large Oceania and British contingents here are outta luck.

~ Entries are one-per-e-mail-address or one-per-household. It's ambiguous in the rules, but nothing seems to rule out entering more than once from multiple e-addresses. Except, that is {cue majestic John Williams music}, your sense of H O N O R as a Super Hero ...

~ Speaking of SUPER HERO®, it says that this trademark is "licensed by DC Comics on behalf of its joint owners." Which are DC and Marvel. You may not have thought it likely or even possible, but it's true, and I long ago looked it up.

~ DC's lawyers don't drink enough coffee. The on-line official rules refer to two of the sponsors as "Cartoon Network (there are several Cartoon Network companies. We need to find out which one(s) are participating in this sweeps)," and "Hostess® (is this the full corporate legal name, if not please find out)". Research and proofreading, counselors! It's always worth the money! {g}

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like your Silverbird Grey. I wish the had more options, like HeroMachine. I can make an Imra but nothing close to Garth is available.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Here's my entry: Catalyst. Can you guess what his powers are?

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl
Always Leave Them Spellbound

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saturn Girl           Edit/Delete Post     
Here is Imra's baby sister, Jancil.

-

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl

And here's my version of Tasmia:

-

From: Utah (non-Mormon!!!) | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Kewl! I plan to check this out too!

The designs look great guys!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

How were you able to get them posted here? Do I have to print them out, scan them and send them to you? Computer stuff is sooo confusing!

I even made Cobalt Kid and Space Tart!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

OK, now I've made about six of these! I want to post them, but I just don't know how! I don't think I can copy them though!

Grey, Scooter and Caroline, how did you do it?

[ January 15, 2004, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

OK, so far I've done them for Cobalt Kid, Space Tart, Poverty Lad, Invisible Brainiac, Giant Squid and new characters Princess Tarina and Danger Damsel, whole I'll be using in my Onevision series!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The lack of variety in hat designs is quite disconcerting!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saturn Girl

Hi Cobie! Scott posted mine. I put them together but he had to come sit in my chair and post them. He's the computer brain. But he's finally calmed down from the panic and shock and high blood pressure of our car being stolen and he's crashed out for a nap. What else can he do anyway until they deliver a rent-a-car tomorrow morning. This is so frustrating and scary, and none too embarrassing. 22 yrs with the Sheriff's Office and I retire and have my car stolen. Yes Officer, it WAS LOCKED, even the parking brake was on. And NO it was not running to warm it up. We figure it happened between 1AM and 4AM, and our bedroom is on the opposite side of the house from the garage.

Now the case CAN be made that had we unpacked the boxes we have stacked in the garage from the move, the car would have been safely inside. Silly us for not wanting to unpack boxes in single digit weather!

Anyway, Scott will wake up and help you post your six creations Cobie.
[Wink]

Abin Quank
Except when I'm someone else...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abin Quank           Edit/Delete Post     
I fooled around with this for quite a while this afternoon, here's one I came up with after some modifying in Photoshop and Draw.

-

Just call her "Cute Lil Devil"

--------------------
Just an Old, Broke-Down, Drunk, Bum!!

With a Power Ring...

From: Westerly Rhode Island | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Cool! Nicely done Chuck!

Caroline, thanks so much for the help! And tell Scott I said thanks to, but to get his rest! Having a car stolen is absolutely dreadful, and you guys are in my thoughts. What a terrible way thing to have to deal with.

And I have six of them just waiting to be posted [Wink]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.