Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » "Fashions from Fans"

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Fashions from Fans"
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
SteveZ wrote in LegionFiction about a Mike Grell sketch of Saturn Girl:

quote:
This is being auctioned by Kim Metzger [on eBay]. His notes [...] really surprised me about his connection to the costume! I don't recall reading anything about who designed the costume, but maybe there was a design contest back then sort of like they had for Supergirl.

Not a contest, apparently, but many spontaneous submissions from fans. This was confirmed by a special feature in 1971, in Adventure Comics 403. Attached here is the first page of "Fashions from Fans," and it indeed notes that "K. Haven Metzger, of Columbia City, Ind.," designed Imra's outfit.

What I'd also note, from sending this along, is the design for Violet in the lower right. Look at the headband, the body coverage, the fringe on the arms, at the hips, at the top of the boots ... and try to tell me that this -didn't- end up being dragged out of the files to help the same Grell design a particular Amerind lady's Legion outfit, about five years later!

Greybird

-

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.