Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » 21st Century Legion: CHAT THREAD (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: 21st Century Legion: CHAT THREAD
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Go for it! Maybe you can do something about that awful post-boot Wildfire origin [Wink]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
If you mean "with," we'll see. "About," nope [Razz]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

'Boot, just caught up to your posts. Wow, what a great Hallow'een party bit...you really convey so many characters so well.

And I have to admit that I'm biased on the next few posts...Reboot is getting to stuff we've been talking about in PMs for weeks [Smile] . Now we're inter-relating our themes and subplots a bit and playing off each others characeters...great stuff!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
'Boot, just caught up to your posts. Wow, what a great Hallow'een party bit...you really convey so many characters so well.

Thanks. It took forever, but it was fun to do in the end [Smile]

quote:
And I have to admit that I'm biased on the next few posts...Reboot is getting to stuff we've been talking about in PMs for weeks [Smile] . Now we're inter-relating our themes and subplots a bit and playing off each others characeters...great stuff!

Yep.

I'm still not letting him use Andromeda though [Wink]

Anyway, do we have a plan to make All Of LegionWorld read our work yet Cobalt?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

21st Century Legion forum moderated by you, me and IB? [Big Grin]

Gary! :shout:

Reboot

I think you need to shout louder [Smile]

We really need a plot to Take Over The [Legion] World with this [Smile]

--------------------

Reboot

Anyone else whose display name doesn't start with "Cobal" reading the story anyway?

--------------------

Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
I certainly am...
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Very nearly, belatedly done with the Workforce arc now, two years, four months and who-knows how many words after after Tikhik turned up and Andromeda was captured. The first of the four epilogues are up, and I'm hoping to have the fourth and final one done and posted, if not this week, certainly next. Reviews very welcome (including critical/negative, provided they go into more detail than "It sucks" or similar [Smile] ).

And a thought, mostly for Cobalt and iB - what would you two say to doing an "Annual" thread at around the end of the year, with a couple of done-in-one stories and maybe some other Annual-y stuff? (I mention it now, because if you think it's a good idea, that leaves plenty of time to actually get the stuff done [Smile] ). If not, obviously that's fine, just a thought [Smile]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

'Boot, can't wait to catch up on your final installments of this very excellent story arc you've crafted. As usual, I'm sure you're work will inspire me to get back into my own story.

As for your Annual idea, I think its a great idea! There's one story I've had in my mind for some time (which I've told you about), and I might have another one too that would be great to throw in there (as well as some other tidbits). Starting now (in August) is also a really good idea, b/c who knows how long we'll take to have things done. Cool idea!

IB, hope you see this in time!

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
'Boot, I read your first few posts. Love how you mixed in X-Men characters.

Cobie, skimmed through your posts too. You're certainly making your characters badass.

Sigh, I dunno if I'll ever get around to doing my part. I have an outline but that's it. I don't really have much time to plot.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
'Boot, I read your first few posts. Love how you mixed in X-Men characters.

Just checking, which "first few posts" do you mean? Of Spark's Day/Emerging/Lords & Masters (the point linked in my signature), or further back? [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Sigh, I dunno if I'll ever get around to doing my part. I have an outline but that's it. I don't really have much time to plot.

And yet, you did in around two days [Razz]

For the record, I enjoyed it. Now, I just have to figure out exactly why Monstress and Nightwind (as you originally had her)/Amihan have never been mentioned if they've been around all this time [Wink]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Boot, that would be Emerging, I think. The ones where you have Dani Moonstar and Shikari.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see how large 21C Legion has gotten and I still haven't quite kept track of all the story arcs [Razz]

Thanks - I think the ending's pretty weak and I'm not satisfied with how I wrapped it up. I'll probably do a bit of tweaking with how it was written, but not with the resolution.

Uh, Candi and Berta just took a really loooooooong vacation. Yeah, that's it [Razz]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So as I try to get 100% caught up on 21CL, I finally was able to read "Lords and "Masters" by Reboot, including some of the prior posts to refresh my memory. Quite simply, I loved it! 

'Boot, you've been a great writer but you've gotten so good over the years. Great sense of pacing, fun and intelligent dialogue and great use of a solid cast of characters--and the right amount.

As I've told you before, my favorite characters you write are Spark and Trinity. Spark is so easy to root for here and you really feel her anxiety. I love the relationship b/t her and Dox.

For the "armor suit" I kept picturing Iron Man's original grey armor as a visual. Not sure if that's what you intended but it works for me. Also wonder if this might eventually cross paths with Nori?

I'm glad you tackled Mekt in 21CL. It took me a minute but I started to think "this is a LSV story!", especially given it's title. Them I realized I was wrong. *Then* the epilogue proved me double-wrong (right?) and I loved every minute of it. Again, great writing for a Legion fan. I especially love Enrapture coming back into the story. "Cosmic King" (still unnamed for codenames?) is a welcome addition too. 

Btw, who is Sidestep? New? Existing?

Love usage of Cecilia Reyes and Dox being so "obviously I requested you for your powers".

The other half of the story was equally as good. You write Dani's power better than most writers ever have. I love the introduction of Rachel and really hope we see her again. She's become a favorite of mine in the X-comics and it just works right here.

The telepathic battle scenes were awesome, with my favorite bit being the rock, paper, scissors scene. Brilliant! 

I was actually unsure if the two stories were meant to be connected or just occurring at the same time. 

The symbiote was awesome and a great call back to a few things. At first I thought it was a Venom-type thing bonded with a telepath, but then I see it's more apt to bound with telepaths. I love the Hound visual being included, which was done in a cool way that was really creepy (and great callback to Irma's allergy). And then the subtle references to the Phoenix force were veeeeeeery interesting. I realize it could have just been the symbiote heading towards Earth but I couldnt help but think you put some UXM #101 visuals in on purpose. I'm definitely interested in Rachel's story when you get back to it, where I hope we'll learn more about the symbiote.

Really enjoyed it 'Boot! Will catch up on latest story arc shortly!

Reboot

quote:
So as I try to get 100% caught up on 21CL, I finally was able to read "Lords and Masters" by Reboot, including some of the prior posts to refresh my memory. Quite simply, I loved it!

'Boot, you've been a great writer but you've gotten so good over the years. Great sense of pacing, fun and intelligent dialogue and great use of a solid cast of characters--and the right amount.

As I've told you before, my favorite characters you write are Spark and Trinity. Spark is so easy to root for here and you really feel her anxiety. I love the relationship b/t her and Dox.

And I thank you for your generosity. I'm pretty sure you have a better opinion of my writing than I do [Smile]

And from this point on, SPOILER WARNING if you haven't read it. Here's the link: http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000919;p=2#000025 [Big Grin]

quote:
For the "armor suit" I kept picturing Iron Man's original grey armor as a visual. Not sure if that's what you intended but it works for me.

If you're asking what I was thinking of, I had something more like this in mind, but scaled down (maybe eight/nine feet tall rather than 16-20) and with wheels and a few other bits for the basic vehicle mode. But if something more Iron Man-like leaps to mind for you, well, it's prose, so it's whatever you think it is [Smile]

quote:
Also wonder if this might eventually cross paths with Nori?

It was pretty slagged by the end of this, and Dox wouldn't want it to be tracked back to him, so probably not any time soon. Besides, Nori's powers work differently - as things stand, she doesn't generate power internally the way Ella/Garth/the Marks do, she leeches it from external sources - so whether she could actually power something like that suit on an ongoing basis, the way Ella did, without inadvertantly draining it is an open question. Certainly, it would need more control than she has just now [Smile]

quote:
I'm glad you tackled Mekt in 21CL. It took me a minute but I started to think "this is a LSV story!", especially given it's title. Them I realized I was wrong. *Then* the epilogue proved me double-wrong (right?) and I loved every minute of it. Again, great writing for a Legion fan. I especially love Enrapture coming back into the story. "Cosmic King" (still unnamed for codenames?) is a welcome addition too.

Heh. And no codenames yet - as you correctly surmised, Levar *is* the 21CL Cosmic King and his organisation is based on the LSV, but I haven't yet decided if that's what they're going to be called!

quote:
Btw, who is Sidestep? New? Existing?

Existing - she was a minor character from Jim Valentino's "Guardians of the Galaxy", a member of one of two anti-Guardian teams who Valentino planned to combine into a LSH analogue (but never did before he was forced off). Funnily enough, despite being one of the few members who didn't have a Legion analogue at the time, she had Gates' exact powers (not just that she was a teleporter, the same sort of "teleport gate" power signature), making her an analogue retrospectively!

Valentino talking about it
A couple of pictures of her

quote:
The other half of the story was equally as good. You write Dani's power better than most writers ever have.

Well, I don't think she's ever had this exact powerset in the comics - she's had the hope/fear illusions, and she's had psychic arrows (though I'm not sure either powerset worked exactly the way I have them act), but not together. [What other powers has she had in the comics again? I know she also had the Green Lantern-esque "solid illusions", animal telepathy, the Valkyrie powers and the fairly ill-defined quantum powers. Anything I missed?]

quote:
The telepathic battle scenes were awesome, with my favorite bit being the rock, paper, scissors scene. Brilliant!

Well, I didn't want for them just to stand blasting away at each other. And since what I came up with was basically rock/paper/scissors with an infinite variety of objects, I had to lampshade it [Smile]

quote:
I was actually unsure if the two stories were meant to be connected or just occurring at the same time.

It's a bit of both - originally they were entirely separate, but they seemed to have enough parallels and be mutually reinforcing enough that they worked better concurrantly than consecutively. In strict plot terms though, they just occur at the same time.

quote:
The symbiote was awesome and a great call back to a few things. At first I thought it was a Venom-type thing bonded with a telepath, but then I see it's more apt to bound with telepaths.

In a way, it's closer to the former - it's more apt to bond with telepaths mostly for self-defence. Normally, it's entirely dominant over the host - the way it was with the guy and briefly with Dani before Kari & Tik managed to weaken it enough for Dani to use her powers to gain temporary control. Full telepaths, however, can turn the tables on it, forcing *it* into submission the way it usually does to the host, as Rachel ultimately manages. Ergo, it's more than slightly paranoid, and prefers to ambush them (the way it did with the guy, and - originally - Rachel) in a sort of pre-emptive strike so it can neutralise them - by bonding itself, if it feels safe enough, or with a skinsuit if it thinks they're too powerful to risk it (as it did with Rachel, having had a huge struggle to subdue her the first time round, even though she was ill-prepared back then - it would never have thought about bonding with her in the end if Dani hadn't basically forced it to).

quote:
I love the introduction of Rachel and really hope we see her again. She's become a favorite of mine in the X-comics and it just works right here.
[...]
I'm definitely interested in Rachel's story when you get back to it, where I hope we'll learn more about the symbiote.

We'll see. I won't rule it out (indeed, she makes an appearance during one of my Earth War tie-ins), but I don't intend for her to become a regular character right now [Smile]

quote:
Really enjoyed it 'Boot! Will catch up on latest story arc shortly!

"Relativity"'s a lot shorter and less complicated - it's mostly (1) establishing a character for later use and (2) establishing what Andromeda was up to between the Workforce and Cathingham. L&M was by far the most involved self-contained story I've tried so far!

[ November 06, 2011, 09:32 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.