Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Pyngwyn's Progress: The Origin of Rockhopper Lad (OneVision)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pyngwyn's Progress: The Origin of Rockhopper Lad (OneVision)
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been working on this for a while now. Rockhopper Lad needed an origin, so here it is. Enjoy!

Please note that following the main story is an encyclopedia article (with more to follow) to provide additional backstory.

"Pyngwyn's Progress: The Origin of Rockhopper Lad"

Growing up as royalty is not always easy. There are always the royal duties. There is the lack of privacy. There is the expectation to excel in everything. Then there’s also the ice stuff.

For when you are a Prince of the Ollurem’yy Pyngwyny–the Pyngwyn Colonies–you are taught from earliest childhood not only of noblesse oblige, but also of the use responsibility of the ice powers of the House of Rokk H’por–the House of Rockhopper.

I was very fortunate to receive my first training in using my powers from my late grandfather, the Emperor Chrysochome XXXIV (Krysokom in the Pyngwyny language). Grandfather had the greatest control over his powers of any Rockhopper on record–until me.

When I was seven, I accidentally froze a playmate–he thawed out quickly. I felt terrible about it. I didn’t mean to hurt him. At the age of ten, I created a blizzard. They knew I was a prodigy. Even Grandfather hadn’t managed a blizzard before he was 14. He took personal responsibility for my training. Sadly, he died when I was 12 years old. He had reigned as emperor over 75 years of peace and prosperity. My dad, Eudyptes XXVIII (Yy’dyptyyz--same as me) is an excellent emperor, but his powers are not nearly as strong as grandfather’s or mine.

After my dad ascended the throne, he assigned my granduncle, Krestor, to train my sister Adélie (Ad’lyy) and me. Uncle Krestor didn’t really teach me how to use my powers nearly as much as he taught me what it means to be a champion of a peaceful people. There has been no war among the Pyngwynyy in ages. There is little crime. He taught me that the people look to the Rockhoppers as a symbol of hope. I love the idea that I can give people hope, but I always felt like maybe I could do something greater.

Then one day, Py’kozelyz, a priest and prophet, came to see my father to tell him of a vision he had.

Py’kozelyz has been priest in the Royal Shrine for nearly 100 years. He has been a trusted advisor to three emperors. He is known for his sound advice and serene manner. I have known him since I was a child. Never in my life had I seen him show any extreme in emotion. Until now. He is not young, but that day he ran into the palace, nearly in tears. “I must speak to His Majesty, the Emperor.” A request from Py’kozelyz is never refused. My father saw him at once.

“Your majesty, I have had a most disturbing vision.”

“What is it, my father?”

“I do not have words for it. It is a threat to existence itself!”

“I don’t understand, my father.”

“I don’t understand it myself, my lord. I only know that we, the Pyngwynyy, must do our part.”

“How can we help, my father? The Pyngwyn Fleet is at the disposal of whomever may need them.”

“Aye, and they will be needed, but we must send one, our greatest champion, to assist those who must face this threat.”

“Our greatest champion?”

“Aye. Young Yy’dyptyyz.”

But, my son is young and, Dywh help me, he is so naïve and trusting! In time I know he will mature, but I fear for him. He has such a gentle nature.”

“Trust in Dywh, my lord.”

“Yes, my father. Where must my son go?”

My father summoned me immediately. Py’kozelyz embraced me upon my arrival and said “My child, your destiny is to be fulfilled.”

“My father, what do you mean?” I asked the ancient priest.

“My child, I have seen a vision of what is to come. A great crisis is nigh. The Pyngwynyy must send our greatest champion. You, my child, must go to a place called L’ndem Lyyjyyn, or, in their language, Legion World.”

“I’ve read about that place. A collection of heroes from all over the galaxy. I understand they have a lot of fun.”

“Aye, my child. But they also have defeated many great evils.”

My father added, “You will represent the Pyngwyn Colonies to this Legion World.”

Well, with a royal and priestly edict, who can refuse? A week later, my father and mother, the Empress Maris (Maryss) threw a grand ball in honour of my departing. The entire population of the capital city, Wystuv’ryy, or very nearly, were present.

I appreciated it, but I would have preferred they not made the fuss.

My arrival on Legion World was slightly different. My personal staff, who now run the Rookery, and my pet, a Terran dog known throughout the galaxy as Hyvvie the Wonder Beagle, were to arrive later, despite my mother’s protestation. “What if something should happen to you?” she asked. I reminded her that I could take care of myself better than any bodyguard could.

The Pyngwyny government contacted Legion World to let them know of my arrival, but I requested they not tell them that I was a prince. I wanted to get to know the other LMBers and have them get to know me without treating me any different than they would any other member. And so, my shuttle landed at the spaceport and there was no one to meet me. With two bags, I walked out of the spaceport and eventually made my way to Founders’ Square. Two young men were standing there: one was wearing a mask that covered his whole face and a Terran business suit (these humanoids and their clothes!); the other was preternaturally beautiful and wearing–something I thought humans only wore in private.

Pyngwyny do have better hearing than most humanoids, so I could hear their conversation before they thought I could.

“Hey, Quis, that must be that new penguin guy.”

“Oh yeah. From the Planet Hyustyn. I don’t know much about that planet.”

“He’s kinda cute.”

“LB, you say that about nearly everyone.”

“So I appreciate beauty in many forms!”

“Here goes nothing”, I thought. “Hi! I’m Y’ydyptyyz Rokk H’por. You can call me Rockhopper Lad.”

“Eudyptes?”

“That would be the equivalent in your language.”

The masked one replied. “I’m Quislet, Esq. and this is Lad Boy.”

“Lovely to meet you both.”

“Likewise,” Lad Boy said in his sultry voice. “I hope I get to learn more about your planet,” as he brushed his hand against my face and winked.

“You’ll have to excuse Lad Boy, Rockhopper Lad,” Quislet apologised. “He’s a bit of a flirt.”

“I’m more than a bit of a flirt! Hey, are you wearing any clothes?”

“We Pyngwynyy don’t wear clothes. My insignia and such are all detachable.” I took one of the chevrons off my arm. When you’re covered with feathers, some things aren’t necessary.”

“I can see we’re going to get along just fine,” LB grinned. “Seriously, though, welcome to Legion World. We have three others who just arrived. You’ll probably want to meet them.”

“More new people? What are they like?”

“Well, there’s this woman who dampens sound,” answered Quislet, “and this young lady who can make fire, and that guy. Adventure-something. LB, what was his power again?”

“I think it’s being Australian.”

So Quis and LB led me in and sure enough, there were Stealth, Caliente and LegionAdventureMan waiting for their tour of Legion World. We were shown around and introduced to everyone. So many names and personalities! I appeared to be the only avian in the group (I saw some others with feathers, but I don't think they were actually birds) though that didn’t seem a problem. And though I had heard humanoids often have trouble accepting same-sex orientation, I learned that was a long time ago and, on Legion World, it was practically the norm!

We all went to lunch at Café Cramer, followed by a drink at SHAKES Bar. Legion World certainly seemed to be living up to its reputation for fun.

I began to make friends. It was the first time in my life I didn’t have to adhere to royal protocols. It was a great relief, really. For once, I was just another guy, albeit one with feathers and webbed feet.

While I was at SHAKES, I was introduced to a beautiful humanoid woman. She had very prominent–oh what are those things called? When your race are hatched from eggs, other things aren’t necessary. Anyway she had big things on her front. She pulled me aside. I recognised her immediately.

“You’re Crujectra of Psyonia. It’s an honour, your highness.”

“Likewise, your highness,” she winked.

“You read my mind?”

“I didn’t have to. I don’t think I can read avian minds, anyway, Y’ydyptyyz Rokk H’por. Royalty knows royalty, dear. Besides, we met briefly years ago at some royal family meeting thing.

“Oh yeah. But don’t tell anyone I’m the son of the Emperor Pyngwyn. I don’t want to be treated any differently.”

“I’ll respect that, but don’t worry. When the truth comes out, you’ll still just be one of the gang.”

“Thank you. I appreciate your discretion.”

After my first day I sent a message to my folks to let them know I had arrived and I was well. I miss them and I still do, but now I have a home here on Legion World.

[ March 11, 2011, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
From the Encyclopedia Galactica 3006 Edition:

Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn

The Planet Hyustyn* is an earth-like planet orbiting a star, not unlike Sol.

The sentient inhabitants of this world are a humanoid race that evolved from penguins rather than apes.

The single nation state of this world is called the Pyngwyn Colonies. Inhabitants are called Pyngwyny (singular is Pyngwyn). The native language is Pyngwyny.

History

On this planet, mammals never evolved. Birds became the dominant life-forms. A particular flightless bird evolved to near-sentience. Seventeen clans of this bird lived on the planet millions of years ago, when the Controllers came to Planet Hyustyn and took a pair from each clan and distributed them through the Southern Hemisphere of Earth. Each pair evolved into a different species of penguin. A combination of the shock of their uprooting and the inbreeding resulting from a limited gene pool resulted in their return to the wild.

Back on Planet Hyustyn, the Seventeen Clans remained one species and developed sentience. Their evolution superficially resembled that of the primates of Earth. They resemble Earth humans, though with some physiological differences.

An early Pyngwyny epic tale, The Silver Pyngwyn, tells of two clans, both of those members were giants, fighting for dominance over all the clans. A great war was fought and in the end not a single member of either clan remained. This was thought legend until contact with Earth was made and it was discovered that these had been of the same stock as the emperor and king Pyngwyn species, neither of which exist on Planet Hyustyn.

In the wake of the clan war, there remained fifteen clans, all of which remain to this day:
Ad’lyy
Fryka
G’l Paggys
Hymbeld
Jyntu
Kystren Drek Eyr
Mykonry
Mejlyn’k
Rokk H’por
Rygalla
Shn’styrp
Snyrza
Tory F’yyrd
Vl’zyr
Yy Lyo

The leaders of the Fifteen Clans, realising that a war such as that could never happen again, united to form the government of the Pyngwyn Colonies (Ollurem’yy Pyngwyny). A monarchy was established and, after much negotiation, it was decided to cast lots to see which clan would rule. The lot fell to the Clan Rokk H’por (Rockhopper) and their leader Yy’dyptyyz (Eudyptes) the First was crowned as the first Emperor Pyngwyn. The House of Rokk H’por has ruled the Pyngwyn Colonies for many thousands of years and has served as the Champions of the Penguin Colonies.

Planet Hyustyn has a rather cold climate. In The Silver Pyngwyn, it is stated that the a wind from the south came and warmed the Colonies. This seems to have been an extended spell of warmer than usual weather, but it, according to the epic, it brought a panic to the populace. The Pyngwyn Colonies have always had sorcerers, though few are disciplined enough to advance to the upper levels. With the weather change, it was believed that a way to keep cold was necessary. The sorcerers gave to the House of Rockhopper the gift to create cold. The gift varies from person to person, but the strongest can create ice and snow; create ice sculptures; cryogenically freeze organisms; control weather to some extent (for example, change a rainstorm into a snow flurry). The power is passed on within the Rockhopper line. Although female members of the House do possess the power, it can only be transferred in the male line; thus, the heir to the throne must be male. There has to date not been an empress Pyngwyn.

Like their distant relatives, the penguins of earth, many of the Pyngwynyy have a same-sex orientation. This is a fully accepted part of the society, even in the royal family.

The current heir to the throne is the Prince Yy’dyptyyz (Eudyptes), known as Rockhopper Lad. Next in line, currently, is his granduncle Krestor, followed by his son Yy Rwyj.

*Note: The pronunciation of “Hyustyn” is more or less the same as the name of the city Houston on Earth. Some earlier editions used the same spelling as the Terran city, but Hyustyn is a more accurate transliteration from the Pyngwyny.

[ March 11, 2011, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Rockhopper Lad ]

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

More may be coming soon.

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.