Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Who are the remaining two-fifths of the Dark Oval?

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who are the remaining two-fifths of the Dark Oval?
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
The fact is, me and Cobalt don't know! What we'd really like best is if you fellow LMB chroniclers would come up with the remaining components!

For those who don't know, the Dark Oval is an alliance of five major powers that control a large percentage of crime in the known part of the galaxy. The Hrykosians and Dominion were the 2 relevant powers that were behind the recent "Invasion!" story on the MMB. It's based loosely, of course, on LSH's Dark Circle.

Here are the known 3 members:

HRYKOSIANS (created by me--see "Turning Point" Part Two linked in my sig below): Warlike race that broke off from the Barbarian Hordes and headed by the Hrykos Clan, with Collus Hrykos currently commanding. My inspiration for them mentally was a combination of medieval England and Vikings.

BLACK SUN (created by Cobalt alone?): They are fanatical religious zealots who probably are adept at mystic arts. Not a lot more is known, thus far, but they are developing into a big part of our current tag team story, so more details are forthcoming.

DOMINION (swiped from LSH/DCU lore): Essentially the same Dominators shown in DCU. They have a knack for science and advanced technology with no morality holding them back.

What would be best for diversity's sake is if the other 2 components also have their own flavor, like, I dunno, a robot planet, Durlans, blue-collar types or even energy beings. It's wide open!

The only idea I've had so far that might be cool is if one of the 2 remaining ones was perceived as a "good guy" power whose affiliation with the D.O. is masked to hide their true "bad guy" nature to the D.O.'s advantage. I don't have any candidates in mind, and the idea doesn't have to be used; but it was a thought.

Bottom line: We're too damn lazy to come up with the other two-fifths! [Big Grin] Let's discuss your ideas on what they should be and see what the most intriguing ideas are!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Seth Gaterra
Last Son of Angtu

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Seth Gaterra   Email Seth Gaterra         Edit/Delete Post     
Not saying that the whole planet's in on it... but there was something nagging at me about Metternich. Whether he's the third Composite Durlan, or the Dominators had figured out how to recreate the process, it doesn't matter. Someone from Durla's church should have taken him down as an abomination. So either the Dark Oval scared off the Durlans...

Or they're helping the Dark Oval because they figure they can get the "corrupt ones" to kill each other off and leave Durla alone. Look back at the Dark Circle storyline in postboot; the Durlan that took over spiritual leadership during that time sentenced Reep to twelve years of exile in the Caves of Atonement for Reep's knowing the ways of the galaxy.

Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
What would be best for diversity's sake is if the other 2 components also have their own flavor, like, I dunno, a robot planet, Durlans, blue-collar types or even energy beings. It's wide open!
A robot / AI revolution group would seem to fit the genre, since it's happened a bunch in the various iterations of the Legion.

Durlans in the role of the Deep Space 9's 'Founders' would be totally interesting. They aren't 'xenophobic and hiding on their planet' they just don't want anyone showing up and noticing that *no one's home* 'cause they're all out in the galaxy doing stuff!

You've already introduced a potential magical group, with the Black Sun. In absence of them, I would have gone with a group of mysticists from various worlds, Sorcerer's World, Orando, Talokk VIII, etc. who want to bring back the days when they were in charge. In my Legion Legacies setting, I had the Sorcerer's World join with about a half-dozen worlds that had seceeded from from the UP to continue (or revive)religious or spiritual practices and traditions that UP law didn't look fondly upon. (Such as a Talokkian tradition that the loser of an honor duel was the property of the victor for a year, which UP anti-slavery laws frowned upon...)

But such a group would automatically not 'play well' with a robot / AI group, so it could be more trouble than it's worth...

Looking at the races in the Legion universe who have the biggest axes to grind;

a group of Somahturans who have gotten tired of being forbidden to leave their home world could be interesting.

a group of Coluan 'drop-outs' (still vastly smarter than any human!) might have rejected the society that dismissed them as 'substandard' and joined, or even formed, an organization to manipulate the affairs of the 'simple people' from behind the scenes. Better to rule over a universe full of dullards than be looked down upon and work menial jobs back on Colu...

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
These are interesting possibilities. Between the two posts, it seems like the frontrunners thus far would be the Durlans and an AI society(though I'm not at all trying to discount Set's other suggestions).

Though the Durlans would be a good fit, I'm a little hesitant to include another 'Real DC/LSH' race in when we've already got the Dominators in there. My personal preference would be for the remaining two to be original creations of the LMBPverse, rather than include 1 or 2 more direct swipes.

The LMBPverse certainly has a lot of cross-pollinations with the LSH/DCU (and even somewhat with the Marvel U), but I think the Dark Oval would feel more ours if we stopped with the Dominators.

Obviously, there aren't many unused ideas out there, so maybe if we have, for example, an AI component, we'll call it something other than 'Robotica' or whatever and try to put a spin on it that's a little different from previously-used AI societies.

You see, the Hrykosians and Black Sun aren't really all that original conceptually, but we are free to mold and shape them and try to make them our own. I see the LMBPverse incorporating a lot of LSH/DCU concepts, but the characters and settings are largely original (though occasionally somewhat derivative).

***This is my personal opinion, BTW, and not at all intended to be a rejection. If enough LMBers want the Durlans, or whomever, in the D.O., then it'll happen! So please don't be thinking, "well, Lardy asks us to contribute, then shoots us down!" I just think having LMBers create original races is groovier and not as much of a 'been there/done that thing', y'know?***

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Seth Gaterra:
Not saying that the whole planet's in on it... but there was something nagging at me about Metternich. Whether he's the third Composite Durlan, or the Dominators had figured out how to recreate the process, it doesn't matter. Someone from Durla's church should have taken him down as an abomination. So either the Dark Oval scared off the Durlans...

Or they're helping the Dark Oval because they figure they can get the "corrupt ones" to kill each other off and leave Durla alone. Look back at the Dark Circle storyline in postboot; the Durlan that took over spiritual leadership during that time sentenced Reep to twelve years of exile in the Caves of Atonement for Reep's knowing the ways of the galaxy.

Obviously, the presence of Metternich and the Composite Durlan shows that the race exists in LMBP continuity, but that doesn't mean, necessarily, that LMBPU Durla is just like the LSH versions we've seen in the past. Honestly, I don't know. Butit's at least possible that LMBPU Durla is a little different in some ways.

And, of course, it's quite possible that Metternich and the CD are simply rogue Durlans. In any case I figure there was a lot more to Metternich's story. Too bad he's dead, eh?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
How about a race of sentient popcorn?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
You've already introduced a potential magical group, with the Black Sun. In absence of them, I would have gone with a group of mysticists from various worlds, Sorcerer's World, Orando, Talokk VIII, etc. who want to bring back the days when they were in charge. In my Legion Legacies setting, I had the Sorcerer's World join with about a half-dozen worlds that had seceeded from from the UP to continue (or revive)religious or spiritual practices and traditions that UP law didn't look fondly upon. (Such as a Talokkian tradition that the loser of an honor duel was the property of the victor for a year, which UP anti-slavery laws frowned upon...)

We'll have to wait and see about that one. Cobalt and Quislet are developing Black Sun as we speak. I know there's definitely a cultish aspect. I'm mostly guessing on the magical one, but I'm fairly sure, at least, that they practice magic.

quote:
a group of Somahturans who have gotten tired of being forbidden to leave their home world could be interesting.
Who are the Somahturans? Is this from LSH lore? It's not ringing a bell.

quote:
a group of Coluan 'drop-outs' (still vastly smarter than any human!) might have rejected the society that dismissed them as 'substandard' and joined, or even formed, an organization to manipulate the affairs of the 'simple people' from behind the scenes. Better to rule over a universe full of dullards than be looked down upon and work menial jobs back on Colu...
Would Coluans, even 'drop-outs', be too similar to Dominators (as far as their 'hook') to fit the diversity requirement?

[ October 01, 2006, 11:40 PM: Message edited by: LARDLAD ]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
How about a race of sentient popcorn?

Yes! That's EXACTLY what we need!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Somahtur = Infectious Lass's homeworld!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've got some pretty thorough plans for the Black Sun (and its members) LWers, so stay tuned to 'Omnia' to see it explored! [Big Grin]

Somahtur might be cool...

For Metternich, you can all trust this source of LMB lore that his/her story is very detailed and there is still much to tell! But basically, I always took it that Metternich was a rogue Durlan that was enhanced by Dominator scientists. He/she was similar to a brillant Count or Prince living in a country that wasn't there place of origin as some famous war general or diplomat (i.e. the Count of Northern Italy living in France in the Middle Ages and serving the Kings of France). He's almost like a mercenary ambassador or diplomat, with little bits of warlord thrown in. Why he/she works with the D.O. is a mystery though.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.