Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Father's Day (Animated series drabble)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Father's Day (Animated series drabble)
Razorsaw
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Razorsaw           Edit/Delete Post     
Title: Father's Day
Series: Legion of Superheroes (Animated Series)
Characters: Superman/Clark Kent, Martha Kent, Brainiac Five, Timber Wolf/Brin Londo (Saturn Girl) - no pairing

(NOTE - Written after noticing a certain individual's absence from the first episode of the series.)

Brainiac 5 had scoffed when Superman had requested the use of his time travel device. He had professed no interest in ending his activities with the Legion, and he would not give any other reason why he wanted to go back home. So he told Superman that it would be a waste of resources for him to make the return trip.

Then Saturn Girl had come to him. The girl was an empath by nature, and she had known that something was bothering Clark. This was an important day for him. He asked her just what, and she said that she couldn't say - she valued Clark's privacy.

Still, Brainy was not yet ready to make a decision. Superman was his friend, but he was not quite ready to commit to scheduling a temporal incursion. So, he did what he always did when faced with an unknown - he researched the problem. And since he was dealing with a certain "day", he looked into customs associated with that particular date on the Julian calendar.

... And when he found out what he needed to know, he agreed.

Due to the nature of time travel, it would not be that same day when Clark returned to the past. But it was that day for Clark, and his mother did not ask questions when he appeared alongside Brainy and Timberwolf, the latter of which had offered to come when he learned the nature of the event.

Brainiac 5 felt more alien than ever as he and Brin stood in that tiny Kansas cemetary, watching as Clark and his mother placed flowers before a tombstone. This was not their world, nor was it their time, but they understood the significance of this moment, this day. Father's dady. And as people who'd been betrayed or cut off from their so-called families, they could not help but feel pangs of regret and envy as they watched Clark honor his own father's memory.

Neither of them had known Jonathan Kent.

But both of them would remember him.

Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razorsaw
Applicant

... nobody? :/
Copycat Girl
Candidate in the #1 Brainy fangirl contest - Finals with Fangirl Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copycat Girl   Email Copycat Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess it's ok. I mean, it was well written but not really the number-one-plot of the year. I mean, when did it ever say Clark's dad was dead? try to pick a better plot bunny next time.

--------------------
"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."

From: Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straya   Author's Homepage   Email Straya         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, somehow I missed this one down here. Glad it got bumped... ^^;;

Raptorscribe, izzat you? D:

Personally, I like it. I'm not sure if Clark's father had already passed on or not in this continuity, but I think all the other continuities I'm familiar with have his dad dying before Clark reaches Metropolis to actually work there. (The very first movie and Smallville come to mind.) And I like that you included Timberwolf because if ANYONE is going to understand what Clark would be going through on Father's Day, it's TW.

The only catch is that the Legion plans to return Clark to the exact moment he left when he's done doing his superhero'ing in the future, so it's not like he's going to really miss ANY given Father's Day in the past. Might have been better to still have the cemetary exist somewhere outside New Metropolis in the future and have Clark go to the grave when Father's Day rolled around that year of the 31st century. The Legion's got transportation, so it would only take a short time to get to what was once Smallville. (And at this point, with no canon indications, it would be up to you if there's anything out there or not.)

(And, of course, now I'm thinking how screwed it would be to have Clark get out there only to find his mother's tombstone alongside that of his father's... Yeah. Okay, I'm REALLY thinking too hard about this, now! *rambles like an idiot*)

One other thing, though... Any plans to post this on ff.net? We could really use the help over there with good fic. ^_^;;

--------------------
"Not imbalanced, just creatively calibrated!"

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!

From: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Razorsaw
Applicant

Heh, thanks for the concrit, Straya. ^^; And yes, it is me.

As for your suggestions... well, I do appreciate them, but I don't think they work. All of the reliable past info on Superman is long gone, which would probably include any monuments to his family or friends. And if it were a normal tombstone, well... eh, it's been 1000 years, hasn't it? Any that existed would have worn down to dust.

The way I figure it, it was still Father's Day to Clark, and Misses Kent, being a mom who admits green-skinned young men into her house admittedly, would be understanding enough to go along with it.

Hmmm... FF.net? Yeah, I should prolly put it up there. ^^ Thanks again.

Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Razor. Glad you posted this. As someone who lost his own father during college, I can certainly understand the emotions you are portraying. Nice work and I hope you post lots more.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Straya
Raging Robophile

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Straya   Author's Homepage   Email Straya         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Razorsaw:
As for your suggestions... well, I do appreciate them, but I don't think they work. All of the reliable past info on Superman is long gone, which would probably include any monuments to his family or friends. And if it were a normal tombstone, well... eh, it's been 1000 years, hasn't it? Any that existed would have worn down to dust.

The way I figure it, it was still Father's Day to Clark, and Misses Kent, being a mom who admits green-skinned young men into her house admittedly, would be understanding enough to go along with it.

Hmmm... FF.net? Yeah, I should prolly put it up there. ^^ Thanks again.

Looking at the situation again today, you're probably right. I think sometimes late at night I can't get my mind to quit running in circles (I'm one of those people who can't sleep half the time because I can't stop thinking about everything and anything), so I rather dug myself into a circular rut trying to figure out what worked and what didn't in terms of the time travel. But yours is probably the simplest and most logical explanation for it.

Admittedly, I'm hoping ff.net will eventually grant animated LoSH its own section, the way they separated the comic and animated Batman series. But yep...the more fics collected on ff.net, the better!

--------------------
"Not imbalanced, just creatively calibrated!"

Talks about Transformers too much. Likes robots with plenty of bling, er big guns!

From: Oklahoma City, OK | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Copycat Girl
Candidate in the #1 Brainy fangirl contest - Finals with Fangirl Girl

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Copycat Girl   Email Copycat Girl         Edit/Delete Post     
yes I'm awaiting that day ever so hopefully. they also have Teen Titans seperated as well. I didn't even KNOW Teen Titans was a comic until I went there looking for Legion of Superheros.

--------------------
"He's doomed. We all are. Oh, wanna hear a joke?"

"I'm always thinking about you. Because according to the restraining order, that's all I'm allowed to do."

From: Somewhere in New Metropolis. Got lost looking for Legion Headquarters. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.