Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Legion Mini Busts (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Legion Mini Busts
Jesse321
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse321   Author's Homepage   Email Jesse321         Edit/Delete Post     
They have to be molded and cast before they're painted ... the materials used to sculpt them will deteriorate over time, so they have to be transferred to resin first.
From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jesse321   Author's Homepage   Email Jesse321         Edit/Delete Post     
White Witch

-

-

-

-

-

From: Sunrise, FL | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Lovely!
Looks like we're going to see Blok soon, too.
And Jeckie, of course.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
So cool to see your work area.

I've got about a million and one questions about your process. But, to begin with... you mentioned above that final pieces are cast in resin... but what do you use for the initial sculpt?

For some reason, I always thought you were literally carving these busts out of a block of clay, but in the above pics it looks like you have some sort of plastic anatomical base. Do you use those for like the general shape then sculpt over that? If so, once you make the mold, do you dis-assemble the original for reuse?

This is just fascinating to me.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

Here's what my new workshop looks like, I'm still in the process of setting everything up, since I just converted my garage, so I would have more room to work.

-

-

Jesse321
Applicant

quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
But, to begin with... you mentioned above that final pieces are cast in resin... but what do you use for the initial sculpt?

For some reason, I always thought you were literally carving these busts out of a block of clay, but in the above pics it looks like you have some sort of plastic anatomical base. Do you use those for like the general shape then sculpt over that? If so, once you make the mold, do you dis-assemble the original for reuse?

This is just fascinating to me.

I use everything from Super Sculpty (clay)

-

to 2 part Aves Apoxie Sculpt

-

to sculpting wax.

-

The base of the White Witch figure was originally sculpted in wax, and then cast in resin.

-

-

-

-

I use these as blanks as they speed up the process and I don't have to sculpt the figures each time ... it's easier to change faces and poses than to sculpt everything from scratch, plus it helps keep all the pieces in scale with one another.

Jesse321
Applicant

Princess Projectra WIP pics

-

-

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
*in awe*

Can we expect to see some pics of all your finished statues soon? I don't remember seeing some of them after they were colored/painted/whatever.

ALL of them are 110% uh-MAZE-ing!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

I'm going to be painting in my workshop all weekend now that the AC has been installed and is working. [Smile]
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
yeah cant wait to see the final work. :-)
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

Jeckie finished.

-

superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
awesome! so soon you gonna paint them in color? [Smile] [Love]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

These still have to be converted to resin before they can be painted.

Right now I have a Cham all prepped and ready for paint.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Projectra already looks awesome! With the reds and yellows of that classic costume, she should be vibrant.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse321
Applicant

I should have finished pictures of the White Witch this weekend.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.