Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Making Comics

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Making Comics
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone read Making Comics by Scott McCloud? I got a copy today. It seems good so far, and really funny. It's in graphic novel format, so it's easy to see the points he's making.

Lash and Dean have inspired me to think about doing some comic pages, and I've been wanting to play around more with Manga Studio Debut's features. It's great for inking, but it's got panel and text tools I haven't gotten to use yet. Anyway, I'm rambling.

I'm thinking about doing something with an old legend. Don't need to think too much about copyright that way. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
All three of his books (Understanding/Reinventing and Making) are all must reads for any comic fan. Been a while since I read Making, got it from the library when it first came out. I know that he has impressed me with every book.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Honestly, I haven't done any research or reading up on the "how tos" of comic making, lately. I know I would benefit for it.

I approach the Starsearchers project with a "learn as I go" attitude.

I will state that I have done plenty of time posting sequentials for others to review, and received a LOT of critique. Jeff Moy himself was instrumental to me, in thinking about storytelling/dynamics.

Two of my resources:
1. How to Draw Comics the Marvel Way
2. Copy George Perez

Arachne,
I fully support your wish to try sequentials! Feel free to send anything you do my way, and I'll give an honest, fair and not-mean critique.
deanlegion at yahoo.com

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, I'll let you know if I come up with anything. [Smile]

I've got How to Draw the Marvel Way, too. I over looked it for years, but it's got some good stuff.

Making Comics is turning out to be a good read. Chapter 1 is mostly about layout. Chapter 2 has some good stuff on character design and expressions/body language.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.