Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum!
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Zero was sat next to laughing Boy and self depreciatingly told her story.

Her name was Ella Arrah, cousin of Jan Arrah, Element Lad of the legion of Superheroes. She told the group about the crystal valleys where her people lived, of the daily meditation that they each undertook to control their abilities and how, like her cousin, she believed they could do so much more for the spiritual growth of the human race. She wanted to follow in Element Lads footsteps and so was one of the thousands who camped outside Legion HQ until the geokinetic psychopath Elysion destroyed it. Her cousin tried to persuade her to return to Trom and follow a more spiritual route but after witnessing the horrors inflicted in by a single rogue meta on Earth she made her way to Xanthu to join the Amazers instead.

Pol Krinn had watched her with particular interest after she announced she was the cousin of a Legionnaire and afterwards asked her if she agreed with the Legions ethos or the more structured approach of the Amazers. She only smiled and blandly replied that both groups had their pros and cons.

All through the young Trommite’s story Rol had felt a fuzziness. It must be the start of the headache he knew he was due to have this afternoon he thought. Though normally his headaches didn’t give him any warnings like this.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Infectious lass introduced herself as Drura Sehpt and told her story quickly. Of all the trainees she was the least confident Rol noticed.

She told the group how her planet had only made contact with the UP in the last decade and because of her races natural abilities to house and manipulate bacteria and viruses the UP had moved slowly establishing any diplomatic status. Her parents and herself were the only three of her race that had been allowed out of their small star’s system to date.

She mentioned how her parents, as ambassadors to the UP wanted her to represent their world in a public capacity so had asked that she apply for this post. The clearance process ad taken almost a year and she had used this time to familiarise herself with the "cold" sciences that the UP used.

Although none of the group said it they all looked like they had a shared understanding that Drura was here for duty, not personal desire.

[ September 23, 2011, 04:51 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

N’Gok the Laser Ape, perched on her chair like a child, went next.

Along with her older brother N’Dahi, she had trained for Gorilla World’s AstroCorp from a young age. She was a gifted astro navigator and engineer. Her race, after leaving Mother Earth in the mid 22nd century had spend almost two hundred years in cryogenic sleep before they arrived at their chosen new home world. The world was the second of a system of five and had a much higher gravity that Earth. Almost twice as high. It had taken another three generations before her people were fully adapted to their new world. In this time their technology had been stifled and it took almost three centuries to relearn the knowledge that their ancestors on Earth would have taken for granted.

By the mid 29th century they had explored and tamed their new home system.

Twenty years ago their leading astro physicist had developed a new warp technology. N’Gok and N’Dahi had been given the honour of become Gorilla World’s first astronauts to fly beyond their star’s system in over 500 years.

Their maiden voyage unfortunately did not go to plan.

Their warp opened as predicted and they excitedly flew into the heart of it.

They returned 17 years later having no memory of the time in-between and strangely altered by their experience. In this time the UP had contacted Gorilla World and their once isolated world was quickly taken into the bosom of their fellow Earth spawned civilization. The intervening years had seen many changes that N’Gok and N’Dahi would never have believed possible. They returned to a home world that could reach their nearest stars in days.

The two astronauts were given the best support that the newly formed alliance to the UP could provide. They learned that the changes they had undergone were permanent alterations on a level that made their DNA truly unique. Her brother found he could manipulate energies, reflecting them back to their source initially but as his control grew he could mold them to his will. She had gained the abilities to perceive the electro-magnetic spectrum and project blasts through her eyes. They were feted as heroes, a role her brother reveled in. She fled. It had taken her over two years to reach Xanthu, two years of learning about this new expansive galaxy that she could now visit and once she arrived she applied to join the Amazers. She felt that amongst this organization she would relearn her place in the universe.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:26 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Pol Krinn finally spoke.

He was Cosmic Boy’s kid brother and while he shared his older brother’s morals he hated the Legion for keeping his brother away from Braal while his father slowly died of Kendoo-Detroyski radiation poisoning. His brother had not returned a single call or even appeared at the funeral. That had been two months ago. He decided to leave Braal to become the hero his brother had failed to be.

After he abruptly finished Rol asked gently, “Did no one tell you he was taken into the future? Brainiac 5 found temporal anomalies around the room where he vanished but was unable to replicate the technology to follow him.”

Pol Krinn sat open mouthed, tears building in his eyes. “We never knew, no one contacted us, Garth didn’t say anything…”

The whole group stared at Dream Boy as he tried to placate the young trainee.

“I will contact the Legion after this meeting and we will find out if there is any more news.”

“Thank you, I’m…ummm… I must contact my mother, let her know…you don’t know what this will mean to her.” Pol Krinn’s thin veneer cracked and he sobbed into his hands.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

After the group had settled down Rol began his story. Before he had started he had debated with himself how much to tell. Would the group understand Nalorian politics? Well there was no time like the present to find out.

“My Name is Rol Purtha and I am a Beta One grade precognitive.”

He explained the strange history of Naltor, the grading of precognition including his own specialities of short range and contact induced visions, though with concentration and, he had to admit, a little bit of luck he could see further ahead and have more general visions if needed.

He then started to talk about his past.

His mother was a respected lecturer at NeueX’ erox university. An anthropology professor who had written several ground breaking pieces of work that challenged the perceived barbarity of so called less developed species. His father was an engineer who had left them when Rol was only five. It was here that he paused and he knew from James’ face that he would need to explain.

His father was an experimental engineer. In previous centuries he’d have been an eccentric inventor working alone in his shed at the bottom of the garden. It was his work that led him to join the Technomancer Party. A very small, but very vocal group of experimental scientists who said Naltor had lost it’s way, it had forgotten its reason for being, been blinded as the UP’s cultural and scientific hegemonistic rule sucked the chances of true glory away.

Fifteen years ago the Technomancers were made illegal as it was felt that their organization was beginning to incite unsightly and possibly even rebellious behavior. There had been public meetings and rallies in several cities. Rol’s father vanished, leaving behind only his Naltorian Seers armband, something Rol wore to this day. Three years later Rol was entered into the schooling system to fast track his as a member of Naltor's peace keeping force, the Pre-Commandos.

He had completed his training by two months when he had a strong vision that led him to the Legion and once he had completed the tasks his precognition had led him to do he had come here once more following, quite literally, his dreams.

Rol gave the team a quick overview of his time with the Amazers before asking if there were any questions. Thankfully there were none.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

So, what do you think? Are you enjoying this? All feedback greatly appreciated.

The team are introduced, a mystery has happened and there are 20+ suspects. Coming soon- more, more, more!

CBHx

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Laughing Boy, the most original feeling of the characters, is fascinating. He feels like a totally different version of Nightcrawler, the swashbuckling devil-may-care adventurer, but one with an elven appearance, instead of a demonic one, and one who was well-integrated, happy and respected part of his community, instead of an ostracized freak.

I like the call-backs to the Threeboot events, such as the destruction of the Legion plaza by Elysion (where Nura died, an event that might have some significance to Rol, as well), and the disappearance of Cosmic Boy. Building Zero and Pol's stories off of pre-existing continuity ties them in nicely, and also gives them some neat hooks.

Love what you've done with Naltorian backstory and societal stuff, mention of Technomancers, etc. The development of 'Gorilla World' (and passing reference to a second 'gorilla hero') was also very cool. I love that sort of thing.

It spins my head a little that Trom wasn't genocided in the threeboot continuity, but instead, Daxam was, so another potential hero from Trom is completely possible. I like the differences, and even wrote my own fic exploring it, but it plays with my preconceptions. In a good way!

I like the fun little details, like N'Gok perching on the back of her chair.

Drura's in an interesting position. Some of the characters have immediate character issues to deal with (such as Pol), while Drura seems to have a slower-burning longer-term breakout potential, as the team has to come to grips with the nature of her abilities, which could be quite terrifying in practice. (A Somahturan villain named Contagion, Plague, Pandemic or 'Patient Zero' could be quite scary!)

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
I like the team you have created. It has balance, which I feel is lacking in the Legion of Super-Heroes.

I was happy to read the bit about the wedding. I really liked Brainiac 5/Dream Girl. It reminds me of a card I made in this thread (post on bottom of page two): http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=001218&p=2

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Thanks for your kind words Set and Emily. There are big character developments due so keep reading. Thank again

Cx

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

They were timetabled to start their first unarmed combat training after lunch. That gave Rol and Pol an hour to find out up to date information on Cosmic Boy’s status. Rol decided that the best way would be to transmat directly to Legion Headquarters on Earth.

He was canny enough to realize that this might be frowned upon by the powers that be as there was still a ridiculous one-sided animosity felt towards the Legion from some members and officials in the Spire.

Still, Rol remembered a phrase his mother had used whenever any of her neighbours would try to entertain her with gossip and tittle tattle: what is unsaid often has good reason to stay unseen.

They made their way to the main Transmatter bank on the 13th floor. Pol Krinn obviously picked up on the almost covert nature of their venture as he magnetically closed the doors behind them. No one would see them as they casually stepped through to Mother Earth..

Dream Boy tapped in the coordinates manually and as the Transmatter started to glow with trans-dimensional energy they both gingerly stepped through.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

“ROL!” Nura Nal flung herself into Rol’s arms, almost tumbling them into Magnetic Kid.

“It is so good to see you! I saw you arriving last night, I hope this is a social call and you aren’t here to stir up any trouble? ” Her smile shone through her teasing with her natural warmth and positivity. Rol grinned like the proverbial Cheshire cat in return before introducing her to his trainee companion. He could see by her reaction that the news Pol Krinn would hear wasn’t great. Rol didn't think it was appropriate at this point to congratulate Nura on her engagement to Querl Dox. He was sure they would have time later to catch upproperly. Right now they were here to help Pol Krinn.

She urged them through to a side room where the three of them sat down in faux- leather chairs. Nura curled her legs under her, dimmed the ceiling holo display and leant forward as Rol and Pol sat upright and listened.

[ September 23, 2011, 04:10 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

“You heard about the Life Eradicators? It was their technology that brought me back. Well, while all that was going on we had problems with Projectra. She’s… left the team now sadly, took Brin with her. Well, her leaving was the catalyst. I know this doesn’t make sense yet, you see Rokk, you brother, had traveled to the 41st Century, even Brainy doesn’t know how he did it. While he was there he learned that supposedly Projectra’s great grandson is destined to be a hero of truly Galactic proportions. We didn’t know this of course and were tracking down Projectra when Rock reappeared with some of the future legionnaires. Both teams fought. They wanted to ensure she had the child that would be the grandfather of their future icon. If Querl hadn’t of persuaded the inhabitants of Rokyn to help we would have lost. Rokk returned to the future with his new team afterwards. Imra thinks they might have affected him, some sort of psychic control. We haven’t heard anything since I’m afraid.” Nura looked at Pol with a compassion that could have reignited dying stars.

Pol Krinn thanked her and looked away, staring fixedly upon the walls, anything so she and Rol wouldn’t see the tears that were forming in his eyes.

“You heard that Jan died didn’t you?”

“What? Ah, that’s awful!”

“Does Ella know?” Pol had said it even as the same thought struck Rol.

Rol quickly explained the Amazer trainee program to Nura and the trainee calling herself Zero.

“Rol don’t ask why but you really need to see Imra.”

“I know, I’ve already seen myself talking to her. Is she still in the same quarters?” Nura nods the affirmative, “I’ll go now, can you look after Pol for me? If I’m not back in fifteen minutes can you send him back please?” Rol give Nura a quick hug before reminding the trainee of his obligations to be back at Amazers Spire for the afternoons’ sessions.

As he turned and left he could hear Nura smoothly start to reassure Pol Krinn. His trainee was in safe hands.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

As he flew throughthe familiar corridors of the Legions headquarters Rol activated his flight ring’s communication function and let Saturn Girl know that he had a favour to ask.

Imra Ardeen, the Legion’s telepath and Rols friend while he briefly a member of this team, seemed distracted when Rol reached her quarters. She looked thinner and there seemed to be a weight about her shoulders that Rol hadn’t seen before.

After a brief catch up, where Rol learned of her recent split from Garth Ranzz, Rol explained the confusing episode earlier when he had a gap in his memory and the feeling that it was somehow connected to the Tromite trainee on his and James’ team.

Imra had Rol meditate and slowly walk through his memory of that morning. She leaned in close to him and gently rested her finger tips on his head.

His memory was crystal clear until he had went over to Psyche and Dragonmage’s team. A team as diverse as his own. There had been the winged mystic from Starhaven who had a look of haughty disinterest; a xenomorph telepath with eyes that looked as they were made from petals, four legs like a grasshoppers and a long tail with twelve fingers on the end; a tall, strong looking girl from the Alchemists World; and… and…. There were two others. A girl from Talok and a girl from Titan. Why hadn’t he remembered them? With Imra gazing intently into his eyes it all came back to him. The Talokian was a spy able to access memories and the Titanian was a psychopath! They had affected his memories, carefully editing what he saw as he saw it. The third member of the gang, Zero had been further away so the two psychics had slipped up allowing him to properly scan her with his Pre-Commando trained tactile precognition, their retroactive memory changes had left the niggling sense of doubts that had alerted Rol.

Imra sat back, a tight grin of determination on her face.

“I know what I need to do Imra, I have to let the team know about these three girls.”

Imra calmly disagreed, letting Rol know that it was time the Legion got to know the new Amazers and she would arrange a team to join him back to Xanthu. Anyway, she casually added, it’s about time we met this James who fills your thoughts.

[ September 23, 2011, 04:13 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

In less than five minutes Rol was back at the Transmatter station with Pol Krinn. Imra had joined them with Dream Girl, Shadow Lass and Brainiac Five. Rol was fairly sure there were other Legionnaires present; Atom Girl or Chameleon maybe. Something in the way the legionnaires stood told him they were not alone, as if they had subconciously made room for another.

“None of us would be too threatening to your new team mates surely?” Nura’s smile was less than convincing. They may not be the physically most powerful members of the Legion but everyone of them had fearsome reputations for good reasons.

The transmatter started to hum with power and they stepped through.

[ August 05, 2012, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Standing on the other side of the Transmatter door was Atmos. Alongside him were the Monstress, Lamprey and their team, the Leviathons.

“Well, well, well…”

“Atmos, please this isn’t the time for…”

“Shut up you Legion traitor and take your ….”

“Marak, please, give us two minutes to explain.” Saturn Girls cool telepathic message silenced the Amazers co-leader.

“Go on Imra, you I trust,” Atmos scowled towards Rol, “but make it quick, there’s been a major earthquake through the Ghandi Gorge, there are hundreds of people trapped there.”

“There’s no easy way to break this to you I’m sorry. You have a group of traitors amongst your trainees.” The room seemed to freeze, “Rol had his memories tampered with and a post hypnotic suggestion implanted into his mind. He was lucky he saw me when he did. We know who the traitors are but we need to be quick.”

As she broadcast this information to the room the Monstress strolled over to Rol and casually placed her hand on his shoulder. The huge green woman’s eyes conveyed more compassion than words ever could. Rol could see out of the corner of his eye that Brainiac was tapping a virtual screen in his hands, accessing information from Xanthu’s planetary datasphere.

“You may be too late, there has been….”

“It’s an organized attack, four major events, the probability of this happening naturally is just too remote to consider realistic. Where are your teams Atmos?”

Rol had forgotten about Querl Dox’s attitude, how the Coluan genius lack of social skills were almost as legendary as his intellect.

“All the teams except Rol and James’ and this group have been sent through to help already.”

“We must assume they are compromised until Imra gives them the all clear.” The brutal truth was delivered without emotion or apology.

“James!” Rol spoke into the Spire’s comlink, “Bring the gang up to the transmatter room on level 13, we have a problem babes.”

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.