Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum! (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum!
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, thanks for your praise IB, glad to hear you are enjoying this! It is a bit hard sometimes remembering who is where in this chapter but the next one will be easier as Rol meets someone from his past, working title is Tempus Fugitive so that'll give you a clue to what's planned.

Captain Marvel is a favourite of mine so it was fun to write her piece, and Drura has a few scrapes to get through herself before this story is finished. As do a few others [Smile]

Thanks again

C x

[ August 19, 2012, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Below them James could see the geomorph called Elysion. The psychopath had caused so much damage on Earth that James was concerned that he could be free to create similar damage to one of the greatest geological features in this solar system.

“He’s mine James.” The determination on Dream Girl’s face turned it hard and, James thought, quite a bit scarier than he could have imagined. She dove out of the sky towards her opponent leaving James behind.

A flash of light alerted him to the energy bolt that the other villain below, perhaps a klick down the ravine from his killer comrade had slung in his direction. James dodged and dived towards the source: A slight man with a glass helmet that contained a dark gas that obscured his feature. James Cullin knew who this villain was as well. The rogue mutant called Mano!

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Elysion saw them above and when he recognised who was diving towards him he started to cheer.

“I killed you once Legionnaire and am looking forward to killing you again!”

Rocks the size of small houses dislodged themselves from the wall of the canyon, unleashing terrifying landslides to crash down to the bottom of the ravine and the silvery stream below. Nura dodged and ducked and kept flying towards her opponent.

At one point James had looked over and thought he had seen Nura get smashed by a flying boulder but half a second later he saw her appear, she must have swerved around it just in the nick of time! James concentrated on the battle he was away to engage in, as Nura had said, he had to keep his mind on the job at hand.

Mano was standing on top of a boulder releasing bolt after bolt of destructive energy. James was dodging and releasing small spheres of quantum energy, filling the area between them with bubbles of energy. Mano was still too far away for James’ quantum energy to effectively reach so he hoped this field of sparkling energy bubbles would distract the villain long enough for James to get in close enough to put a stop to him.

He glanced over again and couldn’t see Nura anymore. The air was erupting for 500 mets around the psychopath Elysion with sand and stones and rocks and boulders.

“Nura!” James started to turn towards where he had last seen the Legionnaire when a blast of energy zapped past him, missing his head by a centimet! His eyes watered as the energy went past and he remembered Nura’s warning. He had to focus. But, damn, how could he return to the Spire and report that Dream Girl had been killed again and hadn’t tried to save her?

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

In the Spire it had been several minutes since Brainiac 5 had made his announcement and Infectious Lass was tentatively rubbing her hands across the Coluans torso. His face has screwed up in discomfort a few times but he had allowed the Amazer trainee to continue.

Atmos has rushed off to the security vault intent on dealing with any intruders.

“um, Mr Dox, um, sir, I think I have them. I’ve never felt anything like them before as they are quite voracious.” Infectious Lass was rubbing her hands together as she spoke, her eyes were distant.

“I assume you’ve been taking samples from other members of your team while you’ve been here as well?” He was looking at the holo feed from his palm unit as he spoke.

“Yeah, I’ve been trying, but after the incident on Webers World’s Medicus when my family and I first arrived it’s been kind of difficult to...”

“Good good, not on Level 38 where the docking bay for personal transport is stored I’ve been monitoring dust movement in non-chaotic patterns. There’s something up there that doesn’t want to be found. I haven’t tried an intrusive scan yet as it would be better if we didn’t alert it. Do you think you could go up there and spread a little Coluan stomach bug? If I’ve calculated correctly the shock should ensure your success. “ He turned to her and could read her nervousness, “Atmos can join you if you don’t think you are up to it.”

“No I’ll go. Level 38 you said? Okay, wish me luck.”

Brainiac 5 smiled to himself as she left. These Amazers were incredibly easy to control and so stupid to leave him alone to access their AI system unsupervised.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

That's definitely it for today - housework calls [Frown]

Hope you are enjoying this and please feel free to post your views, thanks!

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Magnetic Kid and the Lamprey flew over the bluff just in time to see the Amazer trainee known as Spyker be killed by the lightning wielding villain. The villain was too busy shouting about how he would join the Dark Man’s Assassins to see Pol and the the Lamprey. Pol reached out with his magno-sense to locate nearby metals. The most accessible he could find was on the entangled giants: eye-lets for the huge boot laces.

“Chlorophyll lass”, Pol shouted to the trainee whose manipulated plants were currently holding the wriggling giant from re-joining the fight,”Keep the giant wrapped up, I’m going to try something.” His fellow trainee nodded and continued concentrating on growing the vines which held their opponent captive. Pol reached out and ripped the metal hoops from the giants boots and threw them towards the gloating electric villain.

While Pol was doing that the Lamprey flew towards the four armed woman who was giving Radion and the fire breathing trainee such difficulty. She could hear the words that the woman was saying but they sounded unlike any language she had heard before. Taylaskott was experienced enough in the use of her abilities to know that she needed to touch flesh to initiate the absorption of energy, but as her opponents cloak and hood obscured her view. She would have to take a chance and reach around and hope the villain wasn’t entirely covered up.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

James kept scattering bubbles of quantum energy in front of himself as he dove towards Mano. He knew that he would have to try something dangerous to get a chance of getting close enough to the villain to have a chance of capturing him.

When Jazmin and James had first been inducted into the Amazer program their abilities had generated a lot of interest in the scientific community on Xanthu. Being able to create selective pockets that actively defied understanding of the space-time continuum spawned a branch of science that still clashed with the more conventional beliefs held by the wider United Planets community. A young Querl Dox had even visited them and hypothesized various uses they could put their abilities towards. One of those suggestions now came to mind as James desperately tried to work out how to get close to the villain.

Querl Dox had suggested that if the Kids Quantum could control their energies enough to internalize their effects they could effectively place themselves outside of the normal flow of time. James had tried a few times, with various results, but this time he had to succeed if he had a chance. Taking a deep breath he concentrated and focused his energies on himself.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

The sky appeared violet, the rocky cliff faces, previously a mixture of reds and ochers had a blue green tinge and below him, James could see the villain known as Mano seemed to be frozen in place. In the distance James could see a flock of Green Parakeets flying away from the fighting in the Gorge.Transposed to Xanthu when it had first been settled these resourceful birds had spread and multiplied, become one of the most common wildlife sights. Their wings seemed frozen.

James had succeeded in placing himself outside of the time stream!

Swooping below the quantum bubbles he had scattered to distract the destructive villain below he zoomed towards his opponent. Even as he approached James perception began to subtly change, the greens and blues that had been spreading across the cliff faces like watercolours began to solidify, the violet hues above in the sky appeared more red, becoming a darker tone with every passing instant. James knew he could not keep this level of exertion up for long, his heart beat pounded like a drum and sweat broke on his brow. Landing behind Mano he quickly took the anaesthicuffs from a pouch on his belt and placing the villains arms behind his back James wrapped the 'cuffs around Mano’s arms.

As he did there was a terrific boom, as if the skies above had ripped open hurling James to the ground.

As he clambered to his feet James was immediately aware that the cliffs and skis above had returned to their correct colours. His internalized quantum energies had ended. His heartbeat had returned to normal.

Looking around he saw Mano collapse unconscious, the SP provided anaesthicuffs having done their job. James sat down on the ground next to the unconscious villain and took a deep breath and looked up towards the sky. He felt as if he had just ran a marathon! Taking a few deep breaths James touched the Amazer Buckle on his belt to activate the holofeed.

A holo of Querl Dox, Brainiac 5 of the Legion, appeared before him.

“Querl, I’ve got one of them here, but I’m not sure what’s happened to Nura. I’m away to investigate.”

“Nura has already reported in James, you will find her two thirds of a klick to the west of your current position.” And with that the holofeed was cut.

[ September 09, 2012, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, Harbi, I'm amazed once more at your ability to juggle so many characters and make them relatable and fun! And I love how you make it so even someone without much knowledge of the Legion can follow your story.

Plus, you manage to push them all to their limits. Having James be able to step out of the timestream, Lamprey be able to absorb energy, and setting Drura up to have a major scene is great! And having Brainy be a strategic intelligence is a great way to have a noncombatant character still play such a major role in the story.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm also fond of both the time-manipulation from James and the energy absorbtion from Lamprey, as it's cool to see James stepping into his own (having been, in the comics, somewhat overshadowed by his sister's accomplishments after his death) and Lamprey has rarely been shown using this aspect of her abilities (which fit nicely with her choice of code-name).

Loving the focus on less-used characters, as always, Harby!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Thanks guys, greatly appreciate your continued support.

James and Jazmin's abilities were woefully under explored (to start with anyway, then Jaz became a Panel Hog of Imra-like proportions and seemed to do anything she wanted with a wave of her hand)so I'm going to examine a few more ideas I have with them before this story is through. Glad to hear you like what's been done so far.

More coming soon, thanks again

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Radion and Fire Lad were at their limits, their opponent had neutralized their attempts to incapacitate her with a wave of her hands and a gutterel chant. Even Fire Lad’s attempt to fuse the rock beneath her feet had failed. The Amazer was profoundly aware that one of the trainee team had died already and two more were badly injured. There was no way Radion would allow anymore to suffer today.

“Cover me”, Radion said it quietly to the exhausted flame breathing trainee. He nodded as he took a huge breath and released a huge burst of fire and smoke towards the advancing villain. Radion took the opportunity to fly up above the fight and release a blast from on top of the cloaked witch.

Even as the energy bolt ripped into the four armed woman, momentarily making her stumble the Lamprey jumped onto her back, wrapping her legs around the villain. Taylaskott ripped through the cloak and grabbed a hold of her opponent and initiated her energy absorption abilities. The resulting explosion threw her twenty feet into the air and if it had not been for her races adapted physique that allowed them to survive terrific pressures underwater she would have been far more seriously hurt than she was. She was dazed for several seconds before her eyes cleared enough to see.

The trainee Amazer Fire Lad was stumbling to his feet, Radion landing beside him reaching out to check if he was alright. There was no sign of the villain, only a smoking crater several feet deep and some ragged remains of a cloak.

“That was impressive, want to try that on me?” The Lamprey turned around to find herself facing the electric wielding villain who had killed the trainee known as Spyker. As an Amazer she had been briefed on all the current meta-villains that the Science Police and Legion encountered. She immediately recognized Mekt Ranzz. Lightning lord of the Wanderers, wanted for multiple murders on several worlds.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Even as Mekt Ranzz summoned up a huge electric charge Pol Krinn struck. Using the metal hoops that had been the eye-lets on the now trapped giant villain’s boots to wrap around Lightning Lord, twisting the bands to hold him tightly Pol pulled the villain onto his back and pushed the ends of the metal into the sand and rock below to temporarily ground the electricity Lightning Lord had been generating.

The Lamprey walked up to the trapped Lightning Lord and bent over to slapped him across the face, knocking him unconscious.

“That felt good.” She stood up and turned to Radion. “How are you two?” Radion offered a thumbs up as Fire Lad continued to stumble around dazed with the Amazer holding him up.

Pol joined her, standing over Mekt Ranzz’s fallen body. “I’ve called the Science Police, hopefully they’ll get their medics here fast.”

The Lamprey reached up with a hand and gently pulled Pol to her and gave him a quick kiss on his cheek. He started to pull away and stammer a sentence when she said, “You are just as much a hero as your brother ever was Pol, don’t forget that okay? I couldn’t have taken down Mekt Ranzz without you. Thank you.”

Pol could feel the blush burn his face but he smiled back to the green skinned Amazer, “Thanks, ummm, I’m fairy sure you could have dealt with him but I’m glad to help.”

“Right, let’s get our friends some help.” And with that she walked away, professionalism and training kicking in. Pol smiled and gently rubbed his cheek where he just been kissed.

[ September 09, 2012, 02:22 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

James had squeezed the green mush from the emergency rations packet into his mouth and swallowed with a face twisted in disgust. This stuff may be developed to provide him with all the nutrients, proteins, calories and carbohydrates he would need for the next twenty hours but did it have to taste like he imagined Atmos’ socks would after a space battle? Almost immediately though he could feel the benefits as his muscles stopped aching and he knew he would be ready to face whatever came next.

He smiled as he thought that, he had grown used to Rol telling him what would happen next and, were he to be entirely honest, James actually enjoyed the prospect of not knowing until it, whatever it was, actually happened.

Taking to the sky James signaled on his Amazer Buckle for the SP to come and collect his fallen opponent and went in search of Dream Girl. Despite Querl Dox’s unemotional assessment of her condition James was nervous about what he would about to face.

From the air he could see the Legionnaire, sat on top of an unconscious man apparently filing her nails! Rol had told James months ago that Nura Nal was the most surprising person he had ever met and James realized that Rol had not been exaggerating.

Landing beside her he said, “You okay Nura? I thought you were lost for a second back there.”

“You are a sweetheart James, I can see why Rol is so smitten by you.” Her smile was radiant as she looked up to him, never stopping filing as she spoke. “Now if only these nails of mine were so reliable.”

“Eh, how exactly did you manage to defeat him Nura? I saw you engulfed by stones and rocks. You may be a damn fine pre-cog but how did you get past that?”

“I’ll let you into a little secret James that I think Rol already knows but he may not have told you yet. You see when my darling Querl rebuilt me using the Life Eradicators technology he wanted to make sure that no-one could ever hurt me again so he made me kind of super strong and invulnerable. Elysian didn’t know that so I simply pushed my way through all the rubble he threw at me and then dropped him on his head a few times. Silly boy could have given up but he simply kept screaming ’why don’t you just die’ at me instead. Some people simply won’t learn”

James sat beside Nura, careful not to actually sit on top of the geomorph who had caused such destruction, and laughed to himself. “You knew I’d see that attack on you didn’t you?”

“Of course sweetheart and I really wouldn’t have wanted you to get distracted, that’s why I asked you to not help me. Oh James,” She had turned towards him, her face suddenly showing concern and reached out to run her fingers through his hair, “When did you start going gray?”

[ September 09, 2012, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Dream Boy and Shadow Lass stepped through the transmatter simultaneously. On the other side was a woman with long blue dreadlocks who sprung at them. Shadow Lass kicked out at their attacked, knocking her to the floor with a crash. Before the villain could get to her feet Rol had placed the SP anaesthicuffs on her and she was asleep before the rest of the team had joined them.

They were on the first floor of the silver mine. Rol was surprised to see how spacious and homely the inside of the building was, not at all industrial as he had imagined. Even as he looked around he could see the Monstress gently lift the villain that had attacked him and Shadow Lass and place her onto a large sofa against a wall.

“Wouldn’t want to trip over her.” the large green Amazer said to no-one in particular.

Saturn Girl telepathically linked their minds together and they all acknowledged the need for stealth.

Laser Ape and Gates would grab the injured Amazers and trainees and get them back to the Spire for urgent medical treatment while Monstress would take on the Persuader. Gates and Laser Ape would need to combat the two large men they had seen dragging their fellow trainee Nemesis Girl. N’Gok gave a huge grin at the thought of showing off her prowess. Shadow Lass insisted the Lady Memory would be ‘her pleasure’ to capture. No-one argued with the Talokian warrior, her passion and determination burning through the telepathic link. Saturn Girl would tackle Esper Lass, leaving Rol and Reflecto to deal with the final threat – the mysterious woman in the silver cloak. They had made their way down to the exit where they could hear the Persuader talking outside to the woman in the silver cloak.

“Umm... what about me?” Laughing Boy blushed as he asked. Rol felt a stab of embarrassment at having forgotten about one of his own team.

“I’m glad you asked,” Saturn Girl’s cool telepathic voice eased Rol’s embarrassment, “We need you to help with our strategy by helping whoever needs it, we need you to be our wildcard!” Shadow Lass covered the beginnings of a smile by agreeing vocally.

“Umm, thanks, I think.”

“Right, let’s do this.”

Even as Gates teleported himself and Laser Ape and the rest of them stormed out the door, none of them had noticed that the talking outside had stopped.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.