Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Dream Boy and the Amazers - introducing Squad Quantum!
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
Jasmin had been staring at the same spot for several minutes now and Captain Marvel was beginning to wonder if it was a good idea to interrupt her.

Jasmin and James’ abilities were difficult to quantify. They effectively created pockets where the regular flow of time was interrupted. Time dilation in itself was not a strange event, either gravity or velocity could create it and this had been known for over a thousand years. What the twins could do was more than that though. They didn’t need mass or speed to create their effects. They could do it at will and over controlled areas. Since their earliest days at the Amaze – R Institute, where the Amazer Program had been started, when they were both coming into their teens they had attracted attention. To be able to consciously manipulate the many layers in spacetime was something that even in the 31st Century was not seen outside of the most outrageous laboratory.

Both Jasmin and her brother had an awareness of the so called Theisz-Bordmann dimensions, the 10 higher planes that created what more primitive cultures called Dark Energy and Dark Matter. They had tried to explain to the many scientists who asked them that these higher dimensions interacted with our own perceived reality as the sea does to a fish. They were so entangled with our reality that the average person would not see them. It was these dimensions that the Cullen siblings drew their abilities from. And it was on these strange planes that she now concentrated.

She stood exactly where the Observatory’s AI had told her that Typhoon had vanished.

Blocking out distractions she concentrated. She visualised her colleague, her bother’s friend, Typhoon as he sped around the corner and approached this point.

What had drawn him in?

Captain Marvel stood back as around Jasmin a glow slowly appeared. Purple and lilac dots of translucent energy seemed to wink in and out of the air. Jasmin Cullen’s hair, short by Xanthu fashion standards seemed lined with light, her skin began to glow and then, as if it had never happened, it stopped.

“I know what happened!”

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
“I know what happened!”

Jasmin Cullen turned to Captain Marvel as she said it, a weary smile on her face.

“What is it? What happened to you?”

“I had a look into the timestream. Wow! I never knew we could do that but had to try something.”

“Psychometry?

“Umm, not exactly. Typhoon saw the flame, but it was a doorway, it was the Emerald Empress’s teleport signature and through it he saw a silhouette. He saw the Dark Man, I think. The stupid man thought he could confront him directly so dove through.”

“Do you know where he went? Did you see anything that could help us pinpoint his location?”

“No, not really, just the feeling of a lesser gravity and a blue light. That doesn’t help does it. Grife I hope the Spire can trace him!”

“Jasmin, you look exhausted, let’s get back to the Spire and we can go through this in more comfort.” Though Captain Marvel had spoken softly Jasmin could hear the concern in her comrade’s voice. She thought to herself that if she looked half as tired as she felt then there would be good reason to be concerned.

“Let’s go. You were incredible today by the way. I’ve thought for a while now that you deserve to be a full Amazer.” Even as she finished her sentence Jasmin’s vision closed in on her and she passed out from exhaustion. Captain Marvel caught her as she fell and gently cradled her as they went to the Transmatter deck.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Would love to see Jasmin and Captain Marvel lead a team to rescue Typhoon! Those two are great.

And poor Drura! She kicked ass, hope she'll be okay.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Dream Boy and Reflecto knew that the last remaining member of the assassins squad could prove difficult to defeat. The unknown were usually the hardest to overcome. Rol hadn’t mentioned it but as a Naltorian pre-cog he was used to living his life drifting casually between the Now and Next but ever since Esper Lass and Lady Memory had messed with his precognition earlier that day he had a buzzing background headache and no sense at all of what was to come.

They had established that their opponent was behind a small out building. The building echoed the rococo design of the mining complex, its deft curves and decorative flourished disguising its utilitarian purpose.

He swung his hand, releasing the extendable baton he had carried since his pre-commando training days, and signalled with his other hand for Reflecto to move around the building from the other direction. As Reflecto stepped around the corner Rol focused his will on his flight ring and graceful floated up over the swirling dome on top of the structure.

He might not know what to expect but Rol could still make sure it wasn’t too easy for their opponent.

As he drifted silently across the rooftop he could see the Amazer trainee step around the corner and break into a run towards the villain. The villain was stood staring to the distant cold horizon, apparently unaware of her surroundings. Her cloak flapped around her in the cold wind. Reflecto knew it would be better to snap a pair of the anaesthicuffs on her and have a easy victory. Not that he didn’t want her to put up a bit of a fight so he could show his worth by taking out a super villain on his own. Still, Amazer training always emphasized the easiest way to winning a conflict was to ‘cuff an opponent.

That would have been easy. It may even have worked against most foes had they really been unaware of the presence of the Amazer trainee running towards them. It definitely would have ended the need for the violence and almost certainly stopped the heartache that followed.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

After returning to the Amazer Spire Nura Nal had flown straight into Querl Dox’s arms and given her Coluan fiance a kiss that brought an inappropriately vulnerable blush up from his neck to his hairline.

While the Legionnaires were getting re-aquainted James Cullen had asked the Spire’s AI where Dream Boy was. The reply sent James running back towards the transmatter gate. Behind him the Amazer trainee called Red Tyger grabbed Atom Girl by the arm and they followed, both eager for another chance to battle the army of villains who had arrived on Xanthu.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Reflecto froze and started to shake: his arms and legs snapped together as if bound, his teeth chattered with calcium cracking ferocity, his shoulders shook, his eyes were wild.

“You’re green skinned friend may have disrupted my doppelganger’s matrix but you will never get near enough my young hero.” The voice cut through Rol even as he pounced, It was an old woman’s, sharp and rich in wily confidence. He swooped with all his might into the back of the silver cloaked woman but instead of slamming her into the ground as he expected he flew right through and crashed awkwardly. He felt his collar bone snap and adrenaline pushed blood pulsed from the gash on his face.

Even as he stood Rol knew he was too late, the woman in the silver cloak’s laugh drifted over from a spot 5 mets away. By the time Rol was back on his feet the apparition that he had dove through had vanished and his foe had appeared. She was older than Rol imagined, this woman appeared to be in her hundreds. Her skin fell from her face in large wrinkled folds and her eyes were as dark as the deepest gravity well and just as disconcerting to look into, her hands looked as if sticks had been pulled through a liver spotted parchment sheet, her knuckles and nails petruding against the frail lines of her fingers.

“You may wear a Technomancer’s arm band, “ she said, pointing to Rol’s fathers band on his arm, “but you are not one of those tedious so-called Nu-Mages if you were fooled by that simple illusion.” She startet to laugh to herself, her eyes never leaving Rol’s face. Rol never broke eye contact with the hag before him but he could hear Reflecto’s violent thrashing and chattering teeth just behind him.

“I don’t know much about the Technomancers, my father left this behind for me when he vanished.”

“I’m not away to tell you boy, you are going to go to your grave never knowing what a magnificent gift he left you.” She pointed with her right hand, index finger aimed straight between Rol’s eyes.

Rol had enough self control to resist the urge to flinch.

Time seemed to freeze. Rol’s mind felt as if all the energy had been sucked out of it, his thoughts were sluggish and confused. His body had come to a total stop. For an eternal moment he remained in that state of stasis.

[ October 24, 2012, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

James had arrived right in the nick of time. His quantum field froze Rol, the magical hag he was facing and, mercifully, the painfully inflicted Reflecto within a purple bubble of solidified entropy. Signalling Atom Girl and Red Tyger to get ready he started to drop the quantum bubble.

First Reflecto was released. The Amazer trainee dropped to the floor. His muscles had stopped shaking and he could finally move his limbs as he spat blood from his mouth as he mewled im bodywide agony. Instinctively he curled into a fetal position, the pain overcoming his control.

Red Tyger dropped to his side and with a little clumsiness she administered some anesthetic gel from her standard ration medi-kit on her belt to his face. The blue skinned trainee smiled, blood on his chipped teeth from his ragged tongue, but tears still streamed down his cheeks.

Even as Red Tyger struggled with the conflicting emotions of seeing her peer in such a state James Cullen dropped the quantum field from Rol.

“James? James! Thank Cassandra you are here... was that your hoodoo that froze me?” The relief and happiness on Rol’s face was mirrored back as James quickly embraced him.

“We have the hag now, don’t worry Rol, she won’t get away now. How are you babes? That gash on your face looks serious.”

“She said something about one of us disrupting her doppelganger...?” Rol was on an adrenaline rush and knew that if he stopped to make sure he was alright then the rush would crash. He had to deal with the other problems at hand before it would be okay to stop.

“Maybe one of the other teams has ...”

“OUT THE WAY!” Atom Girl barged into the two young men, her guns out and drawn. As they fell both Rol and James saw that the hag had somehow started to move within the time stopping field that James had spun around her and had turned to face them. Atom Gil’s reflexes, and accurate shooting had felled the ancient mystic even as the two men stumbled to the ground themselves.

[ October 24, 2012, 08:22 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

“Oh my stars, I have never seen anyone do that before!” James’ eyes were wide in shock.

“Hey, you just leave it to the Legionnaires and you will be fine”, Atom Girl’s cheeky retort brought a humourless smile to Rol’s face. This aged woman had known about the cult that his father had been part of, she had sensed the nature of the Seers’ armband he wore and Rol was certain she could tell him a whole lot more. As James concentrated on manifesting a more coherent quantum bubble around their fallen foe Rol and Atom Girl walked up to her. Standing on the edge of the purple sphere James was creating Rol looked in towards the hag. There was strangely something familiar about her, as if in another life they had played together. Almost as if...

“Nura!” Rol spoke into the Legion flight ring he still wore.

“Nura, I need you here, there someone here you need to see.”

“Rol sweetheart, can’t this wait?” Nura’s husky tones held a note of exasperation.

“Nura, go, We can do this later.” Querl Dox sounded relieved.

“You always say that Querl.”

“Umm”, Rol said, “Sorry to interrupt but I’s really appreciate you here right now Nura.”

As the conversation with the distant Legionnaires finished Red Tyger asked for some help. Atom Girl was stood with a gun in one hand eyes firmly focused on their fallen opponent so Rol turned and willed the Legion flight ring to carry him over to the two trainees. Reflecto was in a sorry state. He was obviously in shock, Red Tyger looked scared, she was from her races warrior caste Rol remembered. She may know a bit of field medicine for her own species but Reflecto was a one of a kind being and she was obviously feeling out of her depth.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

“Rol, this is difficult, she is fighting me. Don’t ask how but I won’t be able to hold her for much longer.” James had sweat pouring down his face as the exertion took its toll. Rol noticed white hairs at James temple, something that Nura had commented on after they had fought Mano at the Ghandi Gorge. It wasn’t the time to say anything but Rol wanted James to have a full medical check out when they got back to the Spire.

Saturn Girl’s cool telepathic voice was in their heads before they could say anything else.

“The Science Police are here now.”

“Imra!”, Rol spoke into his flight ring, “Can you help us, Reflecto needs urgent attention and there’s something strange here.”

Within seconds both Saturn Girl and the Monstress flew down to join them. Rol could feel discreet telepathic probing as the Titanian Legionnaire landed softly on the tundra. The Monstress had landed next to Red Tyger and was examining the fallen trainee.

Dream Boy and Saturn Girl looked down at the captured villain. “Are you sure you know this woman Rol?” No-one else heard the telepathic question. Rol replied with a sharp nod. Thinking clearly for Imra to hear he explained how he was certain he had met his woman before, both as a child and again sometime within the last year or so.

“I can’t sense anymore barriers within your memories Rol, I freed you from them earlier.”

“But what if it wasn’t telepathic? She is a magic user, can you sense mystical manipulation?”

“Now I know what to look for I can sense its effects and you are right, this is a mystery.”

“Earlier, when I met with you at the Legion Headquarters you said you broke through the barriers and swept away the tangled manipulations that Lady Memory and Esper Lass had put in my mind. What if there were others that we didn’t know where already there? ”

Even as he thought this several things happened at once. James grunted in pain and fell to his knees. Atom Girl started to point her guns at the hag on the ground and was blown backwards. The villain sat up and pointed to Rol. Out of the corner of his eye Rol could see the Monstress rush over to Atom Girl, checking that she hadn’t been too badly hurt when she had crashed into the ground.

“You are getting close to the truth young Naltor boy but be careful what you wish for as some things are needed to stop a greater sin from happening.”

“Tell me, how do I know you?”

“Maybe you need to ask your family. Goodbye Rol, you’ve grown into such a handsome man.”

Even as she finished the sentence her form blurred and in its place a cloud of brightly coloured butterflies erupted into the air.

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

The Science Police medic had placed Reflecto into an anti-grav stretcher and the trainee had been whisked through the transmatter gate.

Dream Boy, Saturn Girl, James Cullen and the Monstress were the last to leave. They had been relieved to hear that as far as the Science Police could determine this had been the last group of potential Assassins on Xanthu. There had been some fierce fighting by the various groups and a couple of fatalities had occurred.

James was exhausted and Rol ‘s arm was around his back.

“From what Brainy has said we captured over a dozen of the most wanted meta-criminals in the United Planets today. That must be seen as a victory of sorts. We have to give our losses a meaning.” Imra’s gentle telepathic voice gave the impression of hope, resolution and acceptance. They all acknowledged that it was a victory of sorts but they also knew that things would never be the same after this. Their planet had become a battleground and the teams’ innocence had been lost.

“We need to capture the Dark Man, find out what this was all about. It was more than just killing Amazers, he’s been assassinating our people for two years now.” The Monstress was rarely so blunt but they all agreed with her assessment.

Nura stepped through the transmatter gate. “Rol! I’m so sorry but I got held up helping the medics, what’s happened?”

Rol smiled and gave his fellow Naltorian a quick hug, “There was someone here that I’ve met before, I’m afraid she vanished but we can sort it out later. Tell me Nura, what do you remember about my father?”

“He looked like you Rol, only with that great big handlebar mustache” she smiled as she thought back to their childhood, “do you remember how we snuck into his study that time? You were playing in some anti-grav chute with that mentallo-enhancing helmet your father was working on while we... and... Rol, who else was there? Do you remember?”

“I think it was the hag Nura, I think we used to know her. I also think we met her when the Legion and the Wanderers fought.”

Imra interrupted here, “Polar Boy, Plant Lad and Amazon all left that group and joined our reservist scheme, and we can ask them who was there?”

[ October 24, 2012, 04:16 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Back at the Amazer’s Spire there was a sense of shock hanging in the air. The team had faced their biggest battle to date and not all of them had made it through alive and several members were in intensive care.

Brainiac Five and Psyche were talking quietly together. Their body language was enough to deter anyone from interrupting. Laser Ape, Andromeda, Wildfire, the Seperator and Red Tyger were swapping stories. Laughing Boy and Chlorophyll Lass seemed to be approaching hysteria as they jostled together. Magnetic Kid was speaking to Atom Girl, their conversation didn’t appear to be a particularly comfortable one as Pol Krinn was openly crying. Several trainees and Amazers were milling between the groups. There were at least two dozen Science Police officers of various ranks and at least two representatives of the Xanthu Tribune’s office. The strangest sight Rol had was of Atmos and the Witch Anagastru. The Amazer leader and the East Continent witch who had first called Rol the Silver Seer appeared to be talking in a respectful manner to each other. Roll had to look over several times to check he wasn’t hallucinating.

They had been back for nearly ten minutes when Atmos called the meeting together.

He thanked their Legionnaire friends for their timely assistance and spoke about what had happened that day. He confirmed that the Amazers had lost three members, all trainees, who would be given posthumous full membership. He told the group that only four villains had escaped. He finished off by thanking the Legionnaires once again and informed the Amazers present that their activities and training would resume at 0800 hours the next day.

The groups started to break up and within fifteen minutes only a couple of the Science Police officers, Atmos, Psyche, Jasmin Cullen, Dream Girl and Rol remained with Brainiac Five.

Almost casually Atmos said “So, do we know why the Dark Man chose today to try to kill us all? I don’t believe it was pure chance.”

Querl Dox replied, just as casually, “Let me show you.” And with a wave of the hand the Spire’s holo newsfeed was activated.

[ October 24, 2012, 04:18 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

There on the Holo in front of them stood Lightning Lad, Colossal Boy, Gazelle, Ultra Boy, a couple of Triplicate Girl’s selves, Sun Boy, Light Lass, Phantom Girl, Turtle and Star Boy, alongside several Star Fleet officers, all smiling.

The news presenter was relaying how the Legionnaires had figured out that the recent spate of assassinations in the Outer Rim UP and affiliated systems had been a cover to draw attention away from an invasion from the species known as the Gil’Dishpan in towards the Central core systems. They had been moving their Battle Spheres for a couple of years subtly into place. With the apparent bedlam on Xanthu they had launched their attack assuming that the Science Police and majority of meta heroes would be focusing their attention out towards the edges of the Milky Way.

“It was a simple plan to discern.” Brainiac Five’s arctic cold logic cut through the room.

Thankfully Psyche was on hand, recovered from the attack she had suffered, to get between Atmos and the Coluan Legionnaire.

There was an uncomfortable silence as the truth set in. Brainiac five had allowed the Amazers and a few of his own team to be bait for the Dark Man’s plotting while he had ensured that the rest of the Legion was on hand to be in place to stop the invasion and take the credit for potentially saving the United Planets.

Jasmin Cullen was, surprisingly, the person who spoke up first once the initial hullabaloo died down.

“Very good Dox, but did you capture the Dark Man? His plotting got us to this point. And if you have, where is Typhoon?”

All eyes turned towards the Coluan Legionnaire. “That is something I’m still working on.” His voice had lost its arrogance as he delivered this cold truth.

“Well you better get working harder then, hadn’t you?”

[ October 24, 2012, 04:21 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

Epilogue.

Several days later Rol stood beside the Transmatter Gate with James. Rol's collar bone had been fixed though still ached a little. Given how seriously some of the others had been hurt he was aware just how lucky he had been.

“I’ll be three days at most James so stop this fretting will you. I haven’t had any bad visions lately so you don’t have anything to worry about.”

“Last time you went off on your little wandertags we had to rescue you from killer telepathic androids and giant rats remember?” James smiled and they both laughed.

“Why don’t you join me then?” They had been through this a few times already, and given the new structure within the Amazers it was difficult for them both to leave off planet at the same time.

“....okay Dreamy Boyo, you go off and play with your family and I’ll message you every day.”

“I won’t be long and you never know, we may get some clues to who that witch was and how she knew Nura and me. If there is a connection to my family I really need to know babes.” Rol knew that his unsaid apology that he was leaving James again so soon after the recent battles was enough, James understood.

“Well, get going then,. Some f us still have work to do you know.” James’ cheeky grin was the last thing Rol saw before he stepped through the event horizon of the Transmatter.

He should have set foot upon the Grand Mall concourse in Neuex’ Erox but instead Rol found himself in a surrealists nightmare interpretation of reality. He tried to step back but instead of stepping through a transmatter he stumbled into a collection of yellow and ochre blocks, perched precariously on three spindly legs.

“Rol, it’s about time we spoke.”

Turning quickly Dream Boy could see a man in a large hat sat on a throne, surrounded by a circle jagged stones laced with micro-circuitry.The bright orange and yellow flecked sky behind the seated man kept his face in shadow.

“Father....?

[ October 24, 2012, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

Harbinger
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Invisible Brainiac:
Would love to see Jasmin and Captain Marvel lead a team to rescue Typhoon! Those two are great.

And poor Drura! She kicked ass, hope she'll be okay.

Jasmin hasn't forgotten about Typhoon and we will definitely be seeing more of Captain marvel soon. Thanks again for your support IB, it's been greatly appreciated.

Well, this is (finally) the end of this chapter - sorry it's taken me so long to get here but I sincerely hope you have enjoyed this tale. Please let me know if you have read this and any views you have, thanks,

Next chapter - Tempus Fugitive - reunites Rol with his mysterious technomancer father and answers a few important questions - like what exactly is precognition? Who was that mysterious hag? How does Rol manage to be so infuriating calm and composed all the time? and... how much of a history does our favourite Dream Boy really have?

[ October 24, 2012, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.