Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35   
Author Topic: LMB Novella: The Lord of the Oval
Lolita
His Girl Friday

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lolita           Edit/Delete Post     
Weber’s World, Private Guest Quarters

Lolita tossed around on the little bed within the guest quarters, unable to get any sleep at all. She had calculated and recalculated the strategy several times and knew it was sound. She went over the vast list of items they would need for the quest in her head and reconfirmed they had everything they might need. By her nightstand was a buddle or rope, which she thought of at the very last minute.

She looked over at the tank in her room and saw Shark Lad was inside, though she couldn’t tell if he was awake.

She said a quiet thank you again to Cobie for arranging a room with both a bed and a tank for her and Sharky. When they had gotten back, she joined him in the tank to relax and a bit and spend some time with him. Being the girlfriend of a humanoid shark meant always making sure a part of your superhero costume doubled for a bikini.

Shark Lad was renowned for his ferocity but with her he was very gentle. Lolita was not the kind of girl that could easily be intimate. She needed for things to move at her own pace, and always felt men would not have the patience to do so. With Sharky, he was sweet in that he was patient and made her feel comfortable. For someone who caused criminals around the galaxies to feel a true sense of horror, she was amazed at how gentle and funny he could be.

She smiled to herself at these thoughts but they soon faded and again she felt the anxiety returning for the mission at hand. Would any of them get any sleep? Hrun, probably, she thought, and then started to giggle. And as she did so, looking at the clock by her nightstand, she suddenly heard a code being entered into the door from the outside hallway!

An intruder?! She jumped out of bed, leaning against the wall in an instant as the code was completed. She suddenly heard a loud bang as she inhaled and prepared for an attack. Was the Oval here already?

“Lolita, it’s Cobalt! I’m coming in!” she heard and the door began to open.

“Wha--?” she said out loud to herself as suddenly the door opened and Cobalt was in the doorway. “Cobie! Are you serious? Get out of here?! What do you think you’re doing?! What if--?”

“Looking good kiddo,” he said like a jerk, obviously enjoying teasing her. She realized she was still in her bikini. “Turn on your news feed. Our time-table just got upped by 8 hours. We’re leaving very shortly, so get packing!” He then turned to Shark Lad. “Have some extra chum Sharky, we’re going to need you at your best!” he yelled at the tank.

“Cobie, get out of here, right now,” she said, annoyed. “We’ll see you in 15 minutes.”

“Take 20 if you need it,” he added, and suddenly he threw her his blue trenchcoat. In the past, she had worn it on several occasions when he had not, and it had become another one of her trademarks to wear a trenchcoat. “I won’t be needing this on the journey, and I know you could always use its various functions. If you want to use it, its yours.” With that, he was suddenly out of the room.

She was surprised at the gesture for a moment but then she turned back to yell at him to leave again. By then, he was gone. “Ridiculous…the nerve of him…bursting in here…”

Shark Lad jumped out of the tank. “I’m gonna have words with Cobie, I think,” he said, a small rage beginning to simmer.

“I’ll handle it,” she said, further annoyed. She looked at the trenchcoat. I could use it he thought, and picked it up. “Throw me that rope, Sharky?” she said.

From: Right by Cobie's Side | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Weber's World

Knowing that he would be unable to get some rest this night, Lard Lad chose instead to hone his combat skills in a holo-gym that Faraway Lad had arranged for him to use in the diplomats' recreation building. He had just completed a round of fight simulations and was resting a little before the next.

As he wiped the sweat from his brow and felt his body ache, Lardy was reminded all-too-well that he was powerless and had been since the Red Bee shot him in the head. True, he had his Mark II exo-armor, but he knew that technology could fail him when he needed it the most. He had to be ready for anything.

He was far from a stranger to unpowered combat, though. As a Lard Knight, he'd been trained extensively in hand-to-hand and was the most decorated swordsman ever to come through the monastery. The only one ever to really best him in a fair sword fight was...himself. He'd once fought a presumed alternate future version of himself who called himself "Dark Lard", and Dark Lard had severed Lardy's hand in the duel.

Lardy looked at his right hand, just then. The artificial flesh made it impossible to distinguish as a cybernetic prosthesis with the naked eye, but Lardy could always feel the difference. He thought of the hand as a reminder of what he could become if he ever truly lost his humanity.

His humanity. He'd done a lot of horrible things the last few years. And now, it was out in the open more than it had ever been before. If he lived through this, he wondered what awaited him out the other side. Would he lose his LMB membership? His Legion World Citizenship? Would he be imprisoned? There was so much uncertainty.

He thought for a moment about his family and how Far had told him about the danger they had been in. He remembered how relieved he felt when Far told him they were under the protection of Loser, Dev and Dev's family. He knew Helena and the kids would be safe, no matter what.

At that moment he felt really alone. Normally, on a night like this, knowing that he was about to go on a dangerous mission, he would surround himself with friends and party the night away. Probably, he'd end up in the arms of one or more lovers.

But not tonight. He wanted to drink tonight more than anything, and that's why he couldn't do it. And there was only one person's bed he wanted to share. He had paused in front of her door on the way here, but he'd lost his nerve. Probably would've been rejected, he thought. She needs her space, anyway.

He thought of his Fellows and wondered how they were spending this final night.

Des, he knew, was at long last reunited with the love of his life, Crujectra--he would make this night count for sure. He smiled at this thought because he always wanted his best friend to be happy. He knew there'd been a deep emptiness inside Des during his and Jeckie's years apart.

Kalla and Lon...yeah, he knew they were probably going at it. The thought made him sick to his stomach. Kalla was pure evil. He knew it very well. He hated that Lon couldn't see that.

He pondered Lolita and Sharklad. He wondered if they were together tonight. Could Lolita truly move on with a man who wasn't Cobalt?

Hrun, he knew had to be living it up right now the way only Hrun could. Lardy grinned as Hrun was kind of like his old debaucherous self...only magnified twenty-fold! If Hrun went to bed with less than twenty wenches tonight, Lardy would be disappointed.

Helena, he didn't know a whole lot about. He got the distinct impression that Helena had a thing for Seth Gaterra from her speech. If so, Lardy knew tonight would be lonesome for her.

Then, he thought of Rockhopper Lad. He knew Rocky well enough to know Rocky was comfortable and content with Hyvvie and Tim in stow. A short time ago, Lardy and Rocky had been very much in love. Then, suddenly, it was just over. Lardy usually wasn't attracted to men as a general rule, but his love for Rocky as a friend had grown into something much more. They'd talked recently and patched up their differences, but Lardy got the distinct impression that friends were all they'd ever be again. It hurt a great deal because for a time the two of them had felt so very right.

He sighed for a moment.

Then, his thoughts turned to Tempest. What was Theresa doing now? Was she sleeping? Was she thinking of him at all? He wanted more than anything to see her tonight, to be with her. Even if all it consisted of was just talking to her and being in the same room. But he didn't know if she wanted anything of the kind. She was that hard to read. He felt often that she cared on some level, but he wasn't entirely sure. Especially after she'd confessed her history of manipulating and using people. What if she was doing that right now--expecting him to come to her to demonstrate her hold over him? Worst of all, what if she didn't even intend to manipulate him but was doing it subconsciously...out of habit?

Lardy shrugged. He was obsessing over Theresa the way he was obsessing about wanting a drink. Was he a Tempaholic now, in addition to being an alcoholic?

"You've gotta stay focused on the task at hand, Lardy!" he yelled aloud to no one in particular. "If she really wants you, she'll have to make the next move. Otherwise..." He stood up and grabbed his sword. "...computer, load Sword Combat Program, Level 10!"

Ten holographic ninjas appeared bearing swords.

Lardy grinned widely and dove into them.

Those holograms wouldn't stand a chance.

[ April 17, 2011, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Exo-Lardy ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renly Fox
former Red Pirate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renly Fox           Edit/Delete Post     
Winath, the United Planets

The LMBer known as Space Ranger flew over the skies of Winath at top speed, covering as much ground as possible. “My, give me my coordinates again,” he said, “this damn planet is practically almost all farmland and finding a blasted landscape to use as a marker is next to impossible.”

My Whee Fem, who worked for him as part of his private detective agency, replied from the other end of the omni-com: “I’m uploading them now, Ranger. Tell me again why this is so important?” she asked quizzically. All she knew about this mission is it seemed really strait-forward and simple, and could be accomplished with great ease. Yet Space Ranger acted as if it was the most important job he’d ever been on.

“Cobie asked me to do something really important for him while he’s away,” the Ranger replied abruptly.

“Oh, Cobie said it was important so it must be!” said My Whee Fem sarcastically. “Like everything he ever asks you to do isn’t the most important thing ever.”

“Very subtle,” said Space Ranger. “First, he doesn’t ask me to do it, he pays me to. It’s a detective agency, remember?”

“You’d do it anyway…” she began to say.

“Second, he filled me in on why this is so important. We need to find the designated target here and keep a close eye on him. Once Cobalt clued me in on what he’s about to do in the Dark Oval and why this person is so critically important, it makes sense that not only will assassins be on the way, they are very much already likely here.”

My Whee Fem was silent on the other line. Finally she replied: “Ok, I get it. Even if you’re being purposely vague. But the designated target is a very capable superhero. He can take care of himself…why the needed back-up?”

“He’s that important,” said Space Ranger. “Now feed me the coordinates again, I think I’ve found that backwater town that somehow isn’t on any map in the galaxies.”

From: Captain's Cabin | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
Weber’s World

Tempest enters her guest chambers, she has just left the meeting, acting as the pillar of calm behavior, that is until she gets into her room. She leans against her door and grins from ear to ear. Then her face turns sour.

“Cobalt Kid’s plan is taxing, I suppose it is in the best interest for all,” she thought, “but not for me, going through Hive and Dominion has little interest for me.”

She looked at room, it only took a second to realize that she was bored in here. She looked around and saw nothing that interested her, until she spotted the bathroom. Within minutes she prepared a hot bath and was in the tub with random items floating above her. She reached up and grabbed a clear vile from the levitating assortment. She opened the lid, which had a brush on it and began to coat her finger nails.

“Can’t have unsightly nails, now can I?”

She stayed in the bath for a while, she washed her hair and scrubbed her skin until she felt clean and refreshed. She got out of the tub and walked over to a full length mirror which had a small sitting stool in front of it, she stood in front of the mirror for a while, admiring herself. She liked her body, she wasn’t so much vain, but proud. She remembered how withered and frail she looked when she first left the cocoon, but now her body with healthy. Her supple curves, her vigor and her confidence had returned. She then sits down on the stool, she looks to her purple robe, various items float to her side. She picks up a brush and begins to take it through her hair, as she thinks to herself.

“Things seem so much more clear now. No more secrets, no more confusion. Not even with the damn men of the Legion. Cobalt is no longer appealing to me. He may have once been my dream man, but that dream was nothing but a lie. Dev, poor, sweet Dev wouldn’t know where to begin with me. But there are still two in question. Anthony. Where to go with Anthony? He’s losing face amongst his peers, not particularly a bad thing. But he wants so much. I can see it, the longing, the need for closeness. Does he deserve it? The way he so easily sleeps around. I’ve had more than my share of affairs, but they all had a reason. He just gives it away. It’s disgusting.

But there is one other that I never noticed before.”

She puts her brush down, pins her hair up and brings out some natural body butter that she has made. It smells of vanilla and nut oil, she dabs her fingers in it and applies it to her skin.

“Timber Wolf. I wouldn’t have given him a thought a month ago, but as I see him, he’s so…callous at times. He’s not bad on the eyes either, a bit rough, but handsome, and great hair. And to think, if I took him from that whore Kalla, her poor heart would just break!”

She laughs out loud unable to hold back her joy.

“Serve her right for thinking she’s so great. Nothing but a tyrant. She’d be so easy to break in two if only someone would let me.”

The lights flicker in her room.

“I know. I know. I have more important matters at hand.”

She gets up and dresses herself in her uniform. She looks at herself in her suit without the robe on, admiring how it traces her figure.

“I tailored this so well.”

She puts on the robe and fastens it around her waist with it’s moon crescent buckle. She walks into the room and sits on her bed.

“There is always this reminder that this mission could be the death of us. But it’s not, not for me, anyways. You have allowed me to go on a quest of justice and vengeance. The path I lead must be beneficial for all for you to let me sate my thirst. For that I thank you, Mother Goddess.

To stay on my path, it is imperative that I stay alive, obviously. So I will. Even at the cost of the others. My purpose is to serve you, first and foremost, if that must cost me the trust and the lives of my colleagues in the Legion, then it cannot be avoided. I must make it to the Epsilon Sector. No matter what.

But I would prefer that all that leave on this mission, return.”

She pulls out a dragon scale, a basilisk tooth, a strand of demon hair, a cockatrice talon and an eye of a Gorgon.

“The crap I had to go through to get this, it better be worth it.”

She closed her eyes, the items swirled around her as she meditated.

[ April 18, 2011, 12:12 AM: Message edited by: Tempest ]

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Weber’s World

Lard Lad moved down the halls quickly, carrying with him everything he thought he needed for the quest ahead. He had to pack quickly, but he knew he’d be traveling light already.

“Nice cloak,” said a voice and Lardy turned to see Cobalt wearing an old gray cloak. Lard Lad happened to be wearing the exact same cloak—both had received them as gifts, along with five other Legionnaires, many years earlier during a quest. They were from the Elves, and it was believed the cloaks had some minimal magical abilities.

“Great,” replied Lard Lad, “now I look like the biggest jerk here.” Both smiled.

The two walked together into the designated gathering room and within were most of the LMBers. “Tis true war in the galaxies!” said Hrun the Barbarian upon their entrance, “our quest becomes ever more hopeless, though ever more important!”

“Everyone gathered,” said Tempest to Cobalt and Lardy, “we’re six hours ahead of schedule now. We’re just waiting on—“ she was interrupted as Shark Lad and Lolita entered, “—ah, we’re all here.”

“Excellent,” said Lard Lad. Both he and Cobalt turned to Rockhopper Lad, the newly elected LMB Leader.

“The time is now, then,” said Rockhopper Lad, “and the lives of billions rest on what we are about to attempt.” He nodded at them, and they knew it was time.

“I’ll see you to the port,” said Kent Shakespeare, who was also with them. He looked at the assemblage of Legionnaires and their allies: Rockhopper Lad, Time-Teller Lad, Lard Lad, Tempest, Cobalt Kid, Timberwolf, Shark Lad, Oracle, Helena Handbasket, Hrun the Barbarian and Kalla Hrykos. He began walking and they followed.

“I know we’ve talked about all the different ways to get in contact with the LMB once you’re there,” said Kent, “but we’ll have to assume eventually you’ll be out of contact. Just assume we’re taking care of business here in the UP,” he said assuringly, “and we’re going to assume you’re doing the same.” His face was deadly serious though he hid any sense of worry.

The arrived at a secret space-port on Weber’s World. Docked was a small merchant ship, destined to take them to the edges of the Dark Oval in what was known as the Contested Territories, and from there, to the Space Knights Templar. It would be cramped space with such a large party, but it was necessary.

“You’re new home for the next 48 hours,” said Kent. He turned now faced them all again. “Good luck, all of you. Watch each other’s backs…and stay safe.”

Cobalt leaned forward and grabbed Kent’s hand, pulling him in for a tight hug. “Sweet Ass Sweet,” Cobalt said, echoing the famous LMB rallying cry.

Kent then turned to embrace every LMBer before they left, all in their own custom. To stay behind while your comrades went off on a quest incurred its own form of pain and helplessness. But in their absence, he had his own work to do.

“Let’s board,” said Rockhopper Lad.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Elsewhere : Power Boy's Dream

Power Boy opened his eyes ... and awoke in a field.

He saw in the distance an ancient city of crumbling gold. His eyes hurt from the glare. Everything around him was washed out and pale ... as if color itself was fading from all things.

-

The city called to him. Begging him come to it.

He began to walk towards the city, lethargic and without flight. Power Boy stumbled along … he noticed a great white wolf pacing him.

PB fell, exhausted.

-

The Wolf closed ... "Get up young pup"
"We are almost there, and I have one gift to give you before we part"

PB, mouth dry asked "what are you?"

The Wolf replied "Every pantheon has its trickster, its scapegoat, and its stalemate. come, let me carry you while I tell your story"

PB climbs on the back of the Wolf.

“I have looked for you for a long time young pup. And I have barely succeeded as there is little time left. Be still, there is much you must know”

As the Wolf galloped towards the fading castle Power Boy listened.

“We, you and I and many others, called ourselves the ‘New’ gods because we usurped those ‘Old’ gods that came before us. We were not much different from the humans long ago but, we mastered the world around us through science and evolution until we were as gods. In our arrogance and cunning we overthrew ancient primal forces of the universe. We were worshiped as gods by the humans. However, the humans evolved, defining their universe, they grew cunning and arrogant as well, and uninterested in us. Realizing our time in this dimension was over, we decided to leave the universe to the humans, and created a ‘Fourth World’ between dimensions. Here, this desert that you see is all that is left of our once glorious kingdom. We have lived here for ages, fought here, loved here. Apparently, even gods can grow old.

In fact, before you were born to us there had not been a new birth for millennia.”

Power Boy gasps “I’m one of you?”

The Wolf replies, “Yes. Your birth was seen as a great triumph, and filled these old gods with hope. It was a happy time then.”

“But soon, something new came to the ‘Fourth World’, a storm. Darkness covered the golden realm. And when it receded … you were gone.”

“Some of the elders suspected it was the ‘Old’ gods, come to punish us at last. As the craftiest of us, and the one with the most experience with other realms, I was tasked with finding you.”

“I looked for ages, throughout time, and across dimensions. Until finally, I found a dark dimension, that tasted like ancient sorcery.”

PB speaks “Qward”

The Wolf snarls “Yes. Qward. A reverse dimension where evil reigns. A Legion of villainy used foul magics in the name of a Dark Lord to summon you from our bosom.”

“This evil Legion decimated any opposition and ruled with tyranny. I killed many of them between my jaws. I dared not act openly because of this Dark Lord they worshiped, who gave them boons. By the time I found you, you had escaped to another dimension and became part of a good Legion. I thought you safe … until now. The New gods dwindle and disappear. I believe this Dark Lord is one of the old gods come to destroy us. It is hunting us, one by one. We plan to flee to another plane of existence. I brought you here to accompany us … or change our minds.”

PB “My first memories were of Qward, waking up in pain. They tortured me and used me, trying to turn me into a great weapon. They even sent me into the past to someplace called Apokolips …. where I earned my Mega Rod. I was called Disaster Boy because of my great talent for destruction. Eventually I escaped across time and dimensions to find a Legion of heroes, It is only recently I have put my hood away and become Power Boy.”

The pair finally reaches the enormous gates of the ageing castle. finally reaching the enormous gates. Power Boy pushed on them and they crumbled to dust ... washing away in the wind.

End of Part One

[ April 20, 2011, 07:51 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucifer Lass
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lucifer Lass           Edit/Delete Post     
Weber's World

Rockhopper Lad and the others started anxiously towards the loading ramp of the small merchant ship, their minds on the mammoth task before them. Suddenly, Timberwolf stopped, sniffing the atmosphere around them as if something was wrong. Then the others noticed the small glowing bits in the air, which darted back and forth, circling each of them in turn. Most seemed mesmerized by the lights; only Hrun managed a quick instinctive swing with his battle-ax, but in vain.

Then the heat and the fire began. A column of flame suddenly appeared in the center of the assembled party then slowly shaped itself into various forms. It was at one moment a dragon, another an eagle, then a volcano, then a castle, and at last an old four-poster bed. The flames solidified into a concrete material bed, and Cobalt Kid and Lard Lad both smiled, for they had guessed what was going on.

The bits of a light now swirled around on the bed with increasing speed, until in the center of them, there manifest the form of a masked woman, wearing a cloak not unlike that of Lard Lad and Cobalt Kid, but of a sleek black silk. Most of the glowing bits disappeared inside the depth of her cloak, but two remained, one resting on each of her shoulders. They seemed to take the form of tiny, winged humanoids as she stepped off the bed.

“Lucifer Lass…” Cobie began. “We had hoped to reach you and Eryk in preparation for this mission, but Greg Evigan Island wasn’t accessible from Legion World, and we presumed that you were… wherever it is that you guys go when you aren’t on Legion World.”

“It is unfortunate that I didn't hear of this... adventure you are undertaking sooner. I certainly would've tried to talk you out of it." There was a trembling in Lucifer Lass's voice that was unusual.

"Look, we've got everything prepared..." Cobie began.

"I know. It's no use trying to talk you out of what you have planned. It's just... you are likely to stumble on something far larger than you realize. You know of the multiverse?"

"Of course..."

"There are the infinity of universes placed side by side. But there are also places... above and below. The one you seek... the one you will face if you continue on the present path... is a denizen of these realms. All you love will be endangered if you persist in awakening the darkness."

"It's my understanding that the danger has already begun..."

"It is not too late to pull back."

"No. There is evil to be fought. That's what we do. We are the LMB. We are heroes." Cobalt Kid's confidence was reflected in the faces of the rest of the assembled party.

"Then may your luck be in proportion to your courage."

Lucifer Lass walked over to Lard Lad. "Lard... Anthony," she said. "We've never spoken as much as perhaps we should. I... I have something that you must have." She handed Lard Lad a necklace with a locket attached. "Inside this locket you will find something that will help you. It will open when it is needed."

"Are you coming with us?" Lard Lad asked.

"Not exactly. There are things that must be prepared if you are to succeed. But our paths shall most likely run parallel. Look for me in the Hall of Llilthantra on the planet Sumra. I believe your route should take you there."

Lucifer Lass sat down upon her bed once more.

"Oh, wait, one more thing." She reaches beneath one of the pillows and pulls out a small box, wrapped with a bow. "Give this to Power Boy when you see him." She tosses the box to Cobalt Kid.

As Cobalt Kid catches the box, Lucifer Lass and her bed fade from view. The assembled LMBers look at each other for a moment, and then proceed to board the merchant vessel which will take them into the Contested Territories, their thoughts on the dramatic visit they had just had.

None were aware of the tiny winged humanoid who had stowed away behind some boxes in the cargo hold of the ship.

[ April 20, 2011, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Lucifer Lass ]

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Daroon

Dev looked at Loser Lad in disbelief. Loser Lad had just informed him that they were under attack.

"Who's attacking us?"

"Bugs...big bugs."

Dev's Omnicom went off. "Hold on it's from the Office." He quickly answered Question Lad's inquiry and ran outside with Loser Lad.

There were indeed swarms of various sized bugs advancing on them. Some were on the grounds outside the walls of the castle, and some were flying overhead. The Daxamites that were among the guards had taken to the air and were engaging the flying ones, but it seemed to be a loosing battle...there were just so many of them.

"I'll be right back out Loser, help who you can."

Dev turned and ran back inside searching the halls for the families as Loser Lad ran towards the front line.

Dev found and carried the King to where the women and children were.

"Sorry for the rushed ride Sir, but we are under attack and need to get them to safety," he said as he turned to Helen, the Princess and the children. The children were huddled against their mothers.

"I am not one to run from a fight Dev Em," the King said with the Queen moving to his side and nodding agreement. "We do not rule because we cannot, or will not fight for our people."

"There will be fight enough for everyone, but we need them safe and protected. The attack seems to be focused on the Castle, so that means that they need to be away from here as soon as possible.."

"Very well then," he said as he summoned several guards to accompany them.

Kar Em came flying in. He was a mess, covered in all kinds of gunk, and they could tell that he had been fighting the bugs.

"They need to get somewhere safe your Majesty," he said to the King, "the bugs do seem to be focusing their efforts here, but are attacking the entirety of Daroon. We can hold them here for a while, but even we Daxamites have our limits."

The King looked around and told the ladies and children to follow him. He turned and moved very quickly towards a back wall in one of the rooms they were near. Helen, Helena and Hugh were right behind him. So was the Queen, ushering Han and Jon as she went. Princess Alyson grabbed Dev's arm as he and Kar were turning to go to the fight, "please be safe," she said and kissed him. She then turned and ran to catch up with the others. The Kings Royal Guards moved before and behind them as they entered a secret passageway.

Kar waited patiently for Dev to regain his composure and they flew as fast as they could into the battle.

The wall was holding so far, and the bugs were being taken down. But for every one that the King's men or the Daxamites killed, it seemed that a dozen more came over the horizon.

Kar Em joined the other Daxamites in the skies and started barking orders. They were very powerfull, but they were mostly politicians and not used to front line combat. Kar was furious for Daxam not letting him bring several of his old Troop along with them.

Dev joined Loser Lad on the wall. "Not going so well huh?" He said as he fried a few flying bugs with his heat vision.

"Nice place they have here...open to all sorts of guests," Loser said as he focused his power on a group of bugs trying to get over the wall to their left. The Guards there were able to take the advantage and dispatch them rather quickly.

"Yeah...well, I really appreciate you sticking around," Dev said as he flash fried several more bugs with his heat vision.

"No place else I'd rather be...except just about anyplace else...but then you'd just call me back again and I'd have to come and pull your butt out of the fire anyway."

Dev laughed and took off to take down a bug that was flying over their heads.

----------------------

Kar Em blasted through bug after bug using his strength, speed, heat vision and flying ability. If not for the fact that there were innocent lives in danger, he would be enjoying himself. The fact that there were though made his efforts that much more focused. The fact that his grandchildren were in danger, made his attacks that much more viscious.

Dev Em flew over to him and they formed a back to back circling formation ove the center of the Castle.

Kar said, "look out at the villages and tell me what you see."

Dev used his vision powers and gasped a little, "...by the gods..."

Dev floated up higher above the middle of the Castle grounds. He pulled out his Omnicom. I hope this gets out, and that there's someone around to receive it. he thought as he cleared his throat.

"This is Dev Em of the LMBP. If anyone can hear this message, the moon Daroon is under attack and we need help. We are barely keeping ourselves from being overrun. There are Bugs of all sizes coming at us, and we are loosing men with every wave. Please send help as soon as possible...we are cut off. They are taking the women and children prisoner, I'm going to try to find out where they are holding them."

He pocketed his Omnicom and flew down to where his father was. He said, "I'm going to see if I can find out where they're taking them...I'll be back as soon as I can."

Kar nodded, although he knew what Dev would find would be almost too much for anyone to handle. He had seen attackes like this before, and those men that were not able to defend themselves were usually slaughtered quickly. Those that could, it was just a matter of time before the numbers took them down. "Be careful son, we don't know what else they have out there...and it's going to be messy."

"I know..." Dev said as he flew toward the horizon, a grim determination on his face that nobody had ever seen before.

[ April 22, 2011, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Dev Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hrun the Barbarian
Barbarian Warrior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrun the Barbarian   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Aboard the Dragon Ship Devastation
Atmosphere of Weber’s World
Hrun
8 hours ago

Hrun, he knew had to be living it up right now the way only Hrun could. Lardy grinned as Hrun was kind of like his old debaucherous self...only magnified twenty-fold! If Hrun went to bed with less than twenty wenches tonight, Lardy would be disappointed.

Hrun woke and stretched his arms. As he did so the raven haired slave girl lying across his chest stirred, but did not wake.

Hrun smiled as he looked at Folka, “now” he thought, “If Folka is here in my bed where is her twin Folkvi”, turning his head to the left he was pleased to see Folkvi also deeply asleep next to him. A sound behind Folkvi attracted his attention and craning his neck Hrun saw a blond head on the pillow, “Tis mistress Gisla” he said softly “And Verun” as he noticed the fourth sleeping woman.

Slowly sliding out from underneath the furs without disturbing the women, Hrun walked silently towards a silver bowl in an ornate carved wooden stand. As he stood washing in the cold clear sweet water, he thought about the events of the previous day. Was he wrong? No, now in the cold clear light of morning, (well morning as set by the ships computers which were deliberately set to Home planet time rather than Weber Mean Time) he was sure. The pattern was there, he could see a way to hurt these invaders and at the same time teach those traitors from his own tribes the price of oath breaking.

Looking around Hrun noticed with pride the decoration of his Hall. Rich tapestry’s hung from the wall; the floor was covered with expensive rugs. Gold inlaid tables were full of the remains of last night’s feast. All in all it was a pretty good facsimile of his ‘real’ Hall back home on vagnstjarnafold, or at least where his Hall used to be, until the wars came.

Wiping his hands on a soft cotton towel, Hrun walked over to a sleeping figure. Kicking him softly in the side Hrun roared, “wake up Halmfast you drunken sot, we have work to do”

Halmfast jumped to his feet, although a little bleary eyed he was ready to obey his King. “My Lord” he said, through a haze of rank meat and mead stinking breath, “what is your command”

“We leave for battle immediately, gather in all the warriors, prepare the war shields”

As Halmfast turned to leave, Hrun reached forward and held his shoulder for a moment, “Oh and clean yourself and the rest of the HouseCarls up first, if we are soon to ride into Valhalla then lets us be noble warriors, not drunken peasants”

Halmfast left. Hrun looked around the Hall; already the signs of last night’s debauchery were being erased. House slaves were cleaning and tidying, the rest of the HouseCarls were rising from their slumber, some already cleaning and preparing their weapons. He smiled, to the majority of the LMBP these men were seen as drunken loud buffoons, but he knew the steel underneath the bombast, and he knew that Cobalt Kid understood it too. A lot of the men in this room would not live out the week, and they knew that too, yet still, as they started to sharpen blades, and clean mail they were singing and smiling. Hrun was proud of them. He hoped he would lead them well and do them honour.

--------------------
Bring me Mead and Meat,
NOW Slave!!

From: The Northern Wall | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad
Senator of the UP. Permanent Ambassador to the Court of Saint James

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Faraway Lad
Webers World
Now

Deep in the interior of Webers World, a small control and command centre was now the most busy and important room in the United Planets.

General Maximus Bellasarius was sat in the centre command chair. On banks of screens in front of him the various reports from the various fronts showed a depressingly consistent theme.

“Sir” reported a Comms officer, “Reports from planet New Tudhoe in sector 47. Hive fleets have just entered planetary space. The Local defence fleet, consisting of one cruiser and four escorts have been lost. Sir” he continued after a second “no survivors…. Not one…………the Hive…those bastard bugs………..they actually went after the escape pods and hunted every last one down.” The Sub Lieutenants voice cracked at the thoughts of the thousands of crew men lost, killed in the cold icy darkness of space.

“Steady son” came the calming voice of Bellasarius “just do your job. I’ll make sure they are avenged, now give me the numbers, starting with ETA for planet fall”

“Yes sir” came back the reply, the voice stronger now, more efficient. “Hive fleet will make planet fall in 30 standard minutes. Estimated time until the entire fleet disembarks, 6 standard hours.

“Holy fathers” thought Bellasarius, “just 6 hours to disembark hundreds of thousands of Bugs. No wonder the Planets fell silent so quickly, it was if a Tsunami just washed away all life from the surface. It was the same all over, huge numbers of troops would land, take the planet and….well then, silence, no one escaped, no messages came out, not even demands from the enemy”

“Thank you Sub” said the General in a more kindly voice, “now take a break go and get freshened up, have a sleep you’ve been on duty 12 hours straight”

“As have you General” said a voice from behind him, “and as our best military mind, we do need you at your best for the struggle ahead don’t you think”

Bellasarius turned to see Ambassadors Helen, Faraway and Crujectra standing in the doorway.

“You should get some sleep General, your team here will be able to monitor things, and if another planet is attacked we promise, we’ll wake you instantly” continued Cru.

“Perhaps your highness is correct” replied Bellasarius, “I will sleep in the ready room if you give me my word that you will wake me”

Mirenna Helen answered for all three, “Yes General we will wake you when the next planet is attacked”

Starting to yawn the General stepped down and headed towards the ready room. “Thank you your excellencies, a few hours will help me to think more clearly” and with that the door closed and he was gone.

Faraway turned to Crujecktra, “Cru” he started “did you use your powers to….…”

He stopped as the Princess placed two delicate fingers in his lips “hush” she said coquettishly “As if I would do that”

“Enough” said Lady Helen, “we have the time and space we need, Faraway can you do what needs to be done”

Sitting down in the command chair, Faraway Lad smiled and gave a simple “yes” as his answer. Internally he thought, “I can if Hrun is right about this

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hrun the Barbarian
Barbarian Warrior

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hrun the Barbarian   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hrun
Dragonship Devastation
Low orbit, Webers world
Four hours ago

On the command deck of the Devastation, Hrun studied the large holomap of the United Planets hovering on top of the plotting table in front of him. Large swaths of it were already in darkness, fallen under the heel of the Dark Oval.

There, Psyonia hung as a bright beacon in Space undaunted, and unconquered, yet all around it the darkness swallowed planet after planet.

But there seemed to be no strategy to all this, Planetary systems that were strategically vital were being ignored whilst small unimportant systems were being wiped out. What was the Oval doing? Was fear and panic all that they wanted? And then even as he thought it Hrun realised that he had the answer. This was no war for resources, no war for territory. The enemy did not want slaves, riches or even glory. It simply wanted to destroy, to cow, to awe to induce panic and fear into all.

But now, Hrun realised, now he could see this truth he could see the pattern. He could start to fight back, start to give a small beacon of light in the darkness, perhaps enough to give the peoples of the United Planets hope. Hope that they could fight back, that they could win.

“Helmsman” said Hrun looking up from the holomap, “is the course laid in?”

“aye aye lord” replied the Helmsman.

“Marshal of the Northfold” said Hrun turning to the tall blond haired man standing by the Plotting table “did any of the Varangian Guard answer our call?”

Marshal Thorribald looked up and smiled, “aye my lord” he replied, “more than we hoped for, we have almost a full Legion of Varangians on board”

“Excellent news Thorribald” said Hrun, “still tis only 5,000 spears to add to our own 2,000. I could wish for more”

“You do have more sire” said a strange voice “if you will have us that is”
Stepping out from behind Thorribald a small brown haired man came over to Hrun and saluted. “I am Strategos Manuel Comnenos of the Opsician Theme. Our Holy Empire was destroyed by the Khanate many many years ago. Though our Emperor struggles to maintain his lands and wishes to re unite the Empire, it seems a hopeless task. Some remnants of Empire cling on, the Despotate of Eprius and the Opsician Theme are two of the largest. Yet for many years now we have had no strength of our own and we have had to rely on the Varangian Guard to patrol our borders and to protect our planets from harm. They have shown great loyalty to our Emperor when all others deserted him and so now when their need is great, now when all free lands have heard the trumpets and the call to arms, we have raised another Legion to fight alongside your army. I lay before you another 5,000 spears of the 1st Opsician Legion (Victrix). Will you accept?”

Hrun looked at Manuel closely; he looked like nothing more than a soft, effeminate city dweller. The sort he has scorned in the past, the sort his forefathers had burned out of hearth and home, but was this offer real or was it some sort of trap of the enemy? Time was against him, he needed the spears this man could bring, but he also to move and move quickly.

He looked up at Akolouthos Grimbolf, commander of the Varangians, “well” he asked.

Grimbolf nodded “I have served with Strategos Comnenos for many years, my Lord, He is loyal and what is more his troops will fight for us”

“Then on the honor of the Akolouthos I will accept your Legion” and cheers echoed around the command deck.

Hrun smiled, already and without his next act, the free peoples of the Galaxy were answering the call. Everywhere reports were coming in of planets who a few scant weeks ago could hardly bare to be in the same room together starting to realize that against this enemy, they needed to work together, else they all fall to the darkness one by one and alone.

Hrun looked forward, “Helmsman, you have your course, cast off, Tis time the Devastation tasted blood.

As the Dragon ship warped out of orbit, Hrun sent a coded message via his LMB secure comm. link

--------------------
Bring me Mead and Meat,
NOW Slave!!

From: The Northern Wall | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faraway Lad   Email Faraway Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Faraway Lad
Four hours ago.
In the Debating Chamber on Webers world.

The council chamber was in uproar. Ambassadors were all shouting to make themselves heard above each other.

Some were shouting at the raised Dias demanding to know what the UP government was doing, some pointing the finger of blame at the UP itself.
Even more had started to accuse Ambassadors from other sectors of being in league with the Invaders.

Into this maelstrom of noise walked Ambassadors Faraway, Helen and Crujectra.

“there, there”, shouted the Ambassador for Aldebaran III pointing at Faraway and Crujectra “it’s that damnable LMBP that’s to blame, if they had not invaded Dark Oval space this would not have happened.

“No! No!” retorted the Ambassador from New Jaiapur “The LMBP are the ones who protect us, they are our shield.

“Silence, Silence” called the Speaker of the Assembly “Unless we allow all to speak no one will be heard”

Slowly the noise subsided as the agitated and frightened Ambassadors retook their seats.

“Now called the Speaker, “let the assembly recognise the Ambassador from Illiad”.

A heavy set woman rose and began, “Excellencies, as we know the United Planets is under attack, on all fronts it is in retreat, it is failing to honour its commitments to protect and preserve the safety of the outer worlds. Illiad has but one demand; Send us a fleet strong enough to save us”

As she sat down, a chorus of agreement rippled around the room.

A UP general stood up, “spreading our forces that thinly will not help, we need to concentrate the fleet and attack in force that is the only way to drive the invaders back”

“so” shouted the Ambassador from Phlon, “we see the truth behind the Earthers promise, they let us bleed and die, whilst they hide here, and when we have weakened the enemy enough they will destroy them and take our lands for themselves”.

A tall strikingly handsome man stood next, his voice was sweetly smooth, and seemed the very pinnacle of reasonableness.
“Noble Lords” he said “all this talk of spreading the fleet or concentrating it is pointless, no one knows where the enemy will strike next or when.” His hand manipulated the controls at his seat and in the centre of the chamber a huge 3 D map of known space appeared. As his hands flew over the controls huge sections of the map turned dark, the very stars seeming to blink out of existence as his voice continued.

“Look at how the Dark Oval forces move, there are no rules to it, no logic, no one is safe, how do we fight such a thing? No my Lords we are defeated our only hope now is surrender.”

His hands moved again and new parts of the Holomap were illuminated.

“My lords, the Dominion now controls ten sectors in the beta quadrant, Hrykosia is attacking its neighbours. The Khanate seems to be on the move. Barbarian Allanii, Macromanii and Skirrian tribes have broken the treaties and swarm forward into civilized Space. No we must sue for peace before the UP is shattered into a thousand pieces”

A new voice entered the fray.

“The United Planets is already broken” it said “it has failed to protect us, it has taken our taxes, imposed false laws and values, and when it is needed it has failed”

This was the Imskian Ambassador speaking now

“and because of those reasons Imsk and its allies now announce that with immediate effect they leaving the UP and will become free independent nations once more. We have been promised by Dominion representatives that a free Imsk has nothing to fear from these armies, and that they have no conflict with those who stand aside and do not get in the way of their defensive strikes against the UP. ..

The Ambassadorial Chamber erupted in noise at this unexpected announcement, cries of “traitors” and “backstabbers” were hurled at the delegate from Imsk, but there were also cries of “hear hear” and “yes! We will be next” from parts of the auditorium Faraway was saddened to hear.

“The free peoples on Imsk will be heard” the Ambassador shouted over the noise caused by his announcement that Imsk and four other planetary systems were seceding from the UP with immediate effect. He continued, “as of today, the corrupt and dictatorial government of First Minister Digby has been overthrown. It has been replaced by a special people’s safety committee chaired by Leader Muldron of the Imskian Iron Oval. Special security arrangements to protect the people are being put in place with known terrorists being rounded up and arrested, whilst high profile supporters of the corrupt Minister Digby have been detained in special camps for their own protection. Further more in order to protect the people of Imsk from imperialistic aggression from Braal and internal counter revolutionary crimes, the people of Imsk have petitioned the Regent, Admiral Muldron to form an alliance with the freedom loving forces of the Dark Oval. Together with the Oval, Imsk will march forward to a new, bright, sunlit future. For our protection our allies troops have been moved forward to prevent any pre emptive strikes from Braal and have occupied strategic points along the border. Once assurances of non aggression have been received from Braal these troops can of course be removed”

Next the Ambassador for Hazor stood up. “as you all know, for many years Braal has illegally occupied Hazorian territory in the Vespaisian asteroid belt. An ultimatum has been sent to the Government of Braal to demand the return of the whole belt to Hazor. Rest assured we will not take sides in the coming conflict between the UP and the Dark Oval, all we want is to be left alone, a demand agreed by the Hrykosian Ambassador just today. Rest assured once our legitimate grievances are met we will have no more demands on our neighbours

The Ambassador for Preztor then stood. “Following the last Great War, the victorious powers dismembered the Preztorian Hegemony. When they did so they left many native Preztorians outside the new boundaries of Preztor, all of whom cry out for reunification with the fatherland. We will now help those people return to the bosom of their land, The Krebble Ribbon will be retuned to Preztor within one week or our troops will take it back.

“But that will leave us with no defences and will cost us many of our advanced manufacturing facilities,” cried the delegate from Aarok, “it will turn us into a backward society”

“No more that you deserve” sneered the Ambassador from Darzyl. “We also announce a change of government, following help from our friends in the Dominion, a new government under His Majesty, consisting of a Grand Council of the Nobles and Commons united under the leadership of Grand Master Dulce, of the Darzyl Oval Order of Men has been formed to protect Darzyl and all who ask for our protection shall receive it. We too remain neutral; we ask only that the UP investigate the curious fact that Psyonia has somehow remained immune to attack though all around it fall victim. Perhaps the Psyonians have some……secret agreement with the Oval that protects them, or is it that the connection to the LMBP must also be looked at.

Finally the speaker said

“the chair recognizes the Ambassador for Taltar”

Lady Tal’shok was small and jolly looking, a classic example of not judging a book by its cover, as she had an unenviable reputation for cruelty.

“Taltar will restrain its fleet, and will return to a state of neutrality until this current conflict is over. Once it is over and if” and there was an unmistakable emphasis on the word if “the UP is victorious then Taltar will consider re opening negotiations to join the UP. Lady Tal’shok looked directly at Faraway and Crujectra and continued. “as we are so constantly reminded, the LMBP is not an executive arm of the UP and as such we expect the LMBP to continue with its normal protective duties through out the Galaxy during this current crisis”

Faraway tensed, “she’s heard something, she knows how thinly we are stretched” he thought, “Does she know what Des is planning?” He felt the stirrings of the old diplomat’s disease, paranoia and a fear that people know all your secrets and were just playing with you.

He felt a hand laid soothingly on his arm, “let me answer this one Far” said Crujectra. Slowly she stood up and now the Princess seemed to glow from within, her beauty seemingly magnified by the occasion, as she held the audience silent and spellbound just by standing there.

“Your excellencies” she said “ I give you my absolute word that no matter what the course of this war, the LMBP will do what it has always done and will protect to the full extent of its might, the weak the poor and the oppressed. No matter who they are and no matter where or under what form of government they are”.

She sat down and whispered in to Far’s ear, “and if at the end that’s just you and I left alive, well it might not be very much but it’s still to the full extent of our powers, so before you start I am not lying”

--------------------
Faithfull

From: Newcastle upon Tyne England | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faraway Lad

Faraway Lad
Webers world
Two hours ago

Faraway, Crujectra and Helen had left the chamber and were now leaving the arguments still going on behind them. They turned and in silence headed down a corridor to a turbo lift, as they did so they heard a voice behind them. It was the Taltarian Ambassador. “I am leaving Webers world” she announced “I must consult with my government” she smiled evilly “I will just remind you of a fact that will have to be settled and soon. The G’ibral Tor is ours, has always been ours and must be returned to Taltar immediately”

Faraway Lad placed his head against the cool wall of the corridor and groaned, this was just going around in circles. Sometimes he though the Gods of History must just be conspiring against him.

The Tor of G’ibral was one of nature’s freaks, a naturally occurring strong point situated as it was in a narrow space lane between a gigantic null grav hole called the Nekron Expanse and the flaming deadly gases of the Horath Nebula it effectively controlled transit in the densely populated alpha sector. Stopping ships passing the Tor was easy and would, if done, half the amount of trade in the UP overnight, causing huge economic upheaval. Captured from Taltar by the Kingdom of Deria some 300 years ago it had passed into UP ownership once Deria joined the UP 150 years ago But Taltar had never given up on her claims to the Tor.

Now, G’ibral Tor was essential to the safety of Earth, if the Oval captured that stronghold then the space lanes would be open. The enemy would be able to flood in behind almost all of the UP’s outward facing defences. The UP would be attacked in the flanks and those carefully constructed defence positions would be rolled up one by one leading to total defeat. Keeping it as a bulwark against invasion was now more essential than ever.

“Ambassador” he started but too late, she had swept on past them down the corridor and into a private ground car, heading for the space port.

--------------------
Faithfull

Faraway Lad

Faraway Lad
Control Bunker
Webers World.
Now

Faraway Lad started giving orders in a fast, quiet staccato fashion.

“fleet in sector 901 remain in position”

“Message to Admiral Darlton in Proxima Centari , we need to move three fast attack carriers from Proxima to support the colony worlds around Alpha Centari, there is going to be a major raid by Hrykosian destroyers”

“Ask General McChinon how many troops he can spare for Brigadier Stuarts coming raid on El Whadi Halfa”

“move the 3rd battle fleet to co ordinates 9087.4 by 678 by 22.113 and tell them to hold awaiting reinforcements, then to be ready to attack”

“Inform Hrun, his battle plan is go”

By his side Crujectra and Helen were both locked in their own furious conversations via omni comm. link with government representatives across known space.

Finally a lull in activity gave Faraway a chance to relax and look up.

“Well?” he asked.

“Its done” replied the Princess, “those planet’s that are going to fight for us are firmly on board, the scared and the lost and the ones who want to wait to see who is on the winning side have agreed to neutrality, at least for now”

“Well that’s all the strategic moves in place, now we just have to wait and see” said Faraway. “I have got as much of the commissariat moving as I can, at least the troops will have enough ammunition, fuel and food to fight. Now it’s up to the Generals on the ground to actually fight them well enough” he sighed, “I hope I have done enough”

Instinctively, and without thinking both women reached forward and each took hold of one of Faraway’s hands, “you’ve done all that’s humanly possible my dear” said Mirenna softly, “no one in the LMBP or the UP could have done better”. The Princess smiled, “you have done everything Cobalt could have wanted Far, with all this going on his small fellowship should be able to sneak into the Oval unseen and unnoticed. You’ve given him a chance to do this and do this right. Thank you I think you may have saved my lov….” She hesitated, an almost embarrassed smile on her face “I mean Cobalts life, for that I and the Royal house of Psyonia will always be in your debt”

This small vignette was rudely interrupted by a consol alarm sounding.

“Sir, it’s the Taltarian Fleet” said a comms officer, “it’s moving fast and I think it’s on an attack vector towards G’ibral Tor”

Faraway’s heart sank, He had gambled and removed most of the defences from around that strongpoint to reinforce other sectors of the front, were the Taltarians taking advantage of this to press their ancient claims after all?

A comm. screen buzzed to life near Faraway, on it the face of Lady Tal’shok appeared. She smiled as she saw who was sitting in the command seat.

“Well it seems the LMBP are closer to the high command of the UP than the Princess claims. I think that will have to be discussed in council later. Never mind” she continued, “my message remains the same whomsoever receives it. The fleet of Taltar will maintain and protect its claim to the G’ibral Tor. No war ships of the Dark Oval will be allowed to enter Taltarian space without meeting extreme prejudice. We will protect this base, now you go and fight your war Earthlings”

“Sir” called a bunker comms officer, “communiqué coming through from Governor General Wolfe, confirmed by our own long range scanners, the Taltarian Fleet is not attacking, repeat not attacking. It true sir they are turning they are taking up, yes they are taking up defensive positions around G’ibral Tor they seem to be telling the truth sir”

Well thought Faraway, there’s going to be some problems ahead over this but at least that’s one worry off my shoulders, now I can relax for a while.

“Sir” said another officer, “emergency message coming in from Daroon”…………..

--------------------
Faithfull

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
in transit between Weber's World and the Contested Territories

There was precious little living space aboard the small merchant vessel. More than Lardy had thought, though, as Hrun wasn't making the trip with them. Lardy had thought that Hrun would be among them, but apparently he had been present to both bond with the Fellows and to glean what the broad strokes of the quest would be.

The men had left what scant quarters were available for the women while the men made themselves as comfortable as possible in the cargo hold.

Lardy was exhausted. He'd spent all of the previous night training and had taken himself to the limits of his endurance in that holo-gym. Though he couldn't make himself comfortable in the comparative luxury of his suite at Weber's World, he had drifted off in his makeshift bed in the cargo hold within an hour of their departure.

But his sleep was far from restful, for as soon as he closed his eyes...

...Lardy opened them to a world of pitch blackness that was barely illuminated in the distance by a faint, flickering light. Lardy stumbled as he tried to make his way to the light, unable to see anything. He tried to activate his exo-armor that he might fly to his destination, but it wouldn't respond. Lardy concluded that his armor was gone. He accepted its absence and continued on.

He didn't know how long it took to get there. Hours? Days? Longer? He kept struggling harder and harder to get there, frequently taking falls as he tripped on unseen barriers. Frequently, he yelled out as brambles scraped his skin. Worse, he could hear hissing, growling...laughing? By unseen beasts.

Finally, battered and in pain, he reached the source of the light. It was a path made of stone illuminated on both sides by torches. On either side, there was still the encompassing darkness. The path itself seemed endless and its destination completely unseeable.

Lardy stopped at the beginning of the path. He held out his hands and saw in the shimmering light that he was clothed in his elven cloak. He saw in his pockets that he had meager rations. On his belt he saw that his sword was in its sheath. He wondered where all of his friends had gone. Cobalt? Rocky? Temp?

Shrugging and seeing no alternative, he began to walk along the path. It was very difficult for him with all his bruises and scratches. Very painful. Even worse, his left ankle was throbbing in pain. He'd twisted it in his journey through darkness, misstepping into an unseen hole. He unsheathed his sword and used it as a cane to take the pressure off of that leg. He saw nothing else available he could use.

Eventually, after an unfathomable time on the path without rest, he began to see things in the darkness beyond the bounds of the path.

To the left, he saw Helen and his children...and others...beset by creatures more vile than he could imagine. He heard Helen scream. He tried to run to their aid but couldn't step out of the path's bounds, no matter how hard he tried. And then they disappeared.

He realized that they were never really there. They were visions. Were they happening then? Were they to come? Or was he being taunted by the darkness?

Further down and to his right, Lardy saw himself and two others. Lucifer Lass. Eryk Davis Ester. They were talking about something. Sharing a dinner together. At the end they put their hands together. Making a pact? These were two people who might be his brother and sister. He had just seen Lucy before they left in the merchant vessel. There was so much he wanted to ask her, to say to her. But she was gone before he could really register the implications. Eryk, he had barely seen in years. He wanted to reach into the vision and learn more, but suddenly, the vision faded.

The locket! He remembered the locket Lucy gave him. He paused on the path and saw it was still around his neck. He knew somehow that there was still hope.

He continued along the path with renewed vigor. As he went along the visions came faster and were less detailed. He saw a flash of Wyandotte with his hands around Lardy's neck. He saw Cobalt locked in combat with Romaltus. He saw images of foes powerful but unfamiliar. One, he was certain was the cloaked figure that had followed him in Weber's World.

He saw someone who he thought was a foe long vanquished battling...Faraway Lad? He couldn't put his finger on exactly who it was, only that Far's foe felt so very familiar.

Then he saw...Dev-Em? No, it couldn't be! He was wild and plowing into the SMB. Killing them. No...it couldn't be!

Then, images of war, images of suffering, images of pure annihilation and death and misery. Lardy found himself overwhelmed and dropped to his kness. He let out some bile onto the path as he felt suddenly indescribably guilty. Somehow, he felt like all the horror he was seeing was his fault. Beyond even how he'd instigated the conflict with the Oval, there was a deeper connection that sickened him but that he could not name.

After he got all the bile out that he could, he looked around. Suddenly, he realized he was at the end of the path. He looked up and saw a terrible light coming toward him from the distance. As it got closer and closer, Lardy realized, to his terror, that it was a single, fiery eye. And it was coming to claim him.

Lardy screamed and did what any reasonable person would do in the situation. He ran. As fast as he could with a hobbled ankle, he ran back down the opposite end of the path that he had struggled so hard to travel. In his peripheral vision he saw the images playing out just as they did before. He closed his eyes and ran as hard as he could.

Then he fell. As he struggled to get back up, he felt the heat of a thousand suns bearing on him. He turned around and faced the flaming red eye.

Lardy faced it, stood his ground and fighting his quivering jaw, he said, "wh-what do you want?"

A horrible laughter seemed to come through the eye, then it said, "At last! I SEE you!"

Suddenly, Lardy screamed. He was on fire! The pain! He was dying and then...

...he woke up.

Lardy looked around, startled. Around him, he could see the cargo hold and that Cobalt and the others were there, too, asleep.

"J-just a dream?" he whispered.

But Lardy knew better. He'd had prophetic dreams before...when he had the Lard Force. And this felt just like one of those.

He tested his theory be trying to summon some Lard Force energy from his hand. Nothing. Everything he could think of, he tried, but the Lard Force did not respond, just as it hadn't in the year since he lost it.

What did this mean? He had no clue.

Lardy was haunted by what he'd seen. He knew he wouldn't be getting any more sleep any time soon.

More, he knew he didn't want to.

[ April 21, 2011, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: Exo-Lardy ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 35 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.