Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I think the Teeds might be my favoritest of all.
It's gorgeous and a perfect representation of her persona.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm cutting it right to my self-imposed deadline on this one, but hopefully it was worth the extra time.

It's the 100th Symbol Extravaganza, featuring five of Legion World's Top 100 posters (as well as a bonus symbol for my biggest booster). So, without further ado - Blue Battler, Eryk Davis Ester (100th Symbol!), Ferro Boy, Jerry, Kid Quislet, and Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Ferro Boy is pretty much a direct Legion lift, but presented in stylized lowercase to represent the "Boy" as opposed to the traditional "Lad". (A lad is older than a boy... right? I'm saying, "yes, it is," so sue me. [Wink] )

For Kid Quislet, I sort of ripped off myself. Earlier, I had done one of these for Quislet Esq. which was the Legion Quislet symbol with a necktie. Though I don't really know Kid Quislet, in my mind, I imagine that he has to be Quis Esq.'s junior partner. I got in the mindset of Carmine Infantino and Joe Giella's "New Look Batman" when they always had Bruce and Dick dressed so formally and said, well, if Quis wears a necktie, then of course Kid Quis wears a bowtie. He is scaled slightly smaller as well.

I've seen Blue Battler's name around but - I'm embarrassed to say - because of the name, I always thought he was one of Yellow Kid's Primary Color Gang characters. I found out that is not the case at all. He is actually a well known character in the online game "City of Heroes". I read his profile on that board and discovered he is a "Technology" hero - as opposed to Science, Magic, or Mutant - which means he utilizes tech as opposed to having innate powers. The symbol here is the COH symbol for Technology used during character creation.

For Eryk, I wanted something special. Apart from the board owners and LMB founders, which I did first, the remainder of these that I've done haven't followed any order other than whatever struck me at the time. But, given Eryk's prominence on LW, I wanted to give him a place of honor. Originally, I was going to have him be the last one I did, but I then I thought the 100th would be a really nice milestone. Besides, I was just dying to give this a try. The layout is an Interlac "E" formed by the infamous Nelly Cap left carelessly against a Greek column (from Calamity King's first appearance, natch). I had this design in mind from the beginning but really didn't think I would be able to execute it. I'm pleased to say though... I think it looks bitchin'. [Smile]

Jerry is a different story altogether. Though I often see Jerry about the board, I don't "know" him in the sense of a "character". For the purpose of this project, his name choice isn't particularly evocative for me, either. That being said, however, whenever I think of Jerry, I think in terms of the absolute candor with which he has spoken about his real life on this board. In particular, there was a story he told about his life with his partner that moved me a great deal and provided the inspiration for this symbol. At first I was afraid to approach it from a "personal" standpoint, but I spoke with Jerry behind the scenes and he encouraged me to do so, even providing me with additional elements that he wanted me to try to convey. I made sure that he saw this before I posted it and, I'm really happy that he liked it so much.

For Candle's first symbol, I used the comedy and tragedy faces that characterized her LMB character at the very beginning (over 10 years ago). She reached out to me, though, and, although she enjoyed it, she felt that she had grown since those early days, and thought she would like something to reflect that growth. I worked with her behind the scenes to find a design that captured her strong faith. It was a happy coincidence that the Celtic Cross design I found contained embellishment on the bars that was evocative (to me at least) of the earlier symbol, as well. Thanks, Candle, for both your patience and encouragement.

So...whew... do I ever shut up?

OK... briefly.

Up next: I'm taking a break from these for the weekend, but... come Monday... back in the swing.

[ August 24, 2011, 01:26 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
hmmm I love Candlelight's one the best. the others nice nice....except EDE's, to be honest with you, did not work well to me...I was expecting something like Anvil dropping on head or a broken horseshoe or shattered rabbit's leg...something that represent luck....black cat? hmmm columns broken kind of did not work on me. I dont know...that s ONE that bothers me the most....the rest of them wow....awesome...beautiful....ironically you picked EDE as the 100th and I happen to be the one who disagrees. :\

Candlelight - awesome - one of the best alongside Teeds....

Kid Q - heh...a perfect sidekick to the Q. Nice!

Jerry - not familar with him - two hands with a plant...nice something different. I like it.

Ferro Kid - I sure wish that we have another Ferro in the Legion. This one will do.

Blue Battler - Yes!! it works....as i remember seeing that one in the City of Heroes. the gears work perfectly.

EDE - oh...a disaster waiting to happen? *gulp*

I mean NO offense to both EDE and you...just that I am blunt and honest. I think it is difficult to do EDE's one...very difficult I imagine.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
I was about to agree with Candlelight that my favorite was also Thriftshop Debutante's, but then Candlelight's own symbol came out.

After seeing the description I realize what TD's is, but at first I thought it was a beautifully stylized bird.

I wonder if a terribly tedious but much appreciated favor might be asked? When you're done, can the final group shot include names?

Also, mind if I use a modified Lightning Lad symbol elsewhere? I changed the bolt's color to blue, for another name by which I've been known.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks for the comments, guys, but I want to make sure I don't misrepresent my contribution to the Candle one. It's actually an existing Celtic Cross design that I just slightly tweaked to fit better with this format. Candle and I went back and forth with a few different designs, but this was the one she liked best.

Sorry you didn't like the EDE one, Supes. I see what you are saying about there being more direct choices to represent a "jinx", but I was trying to make it a bit more LW specific: [Calamity King] If the overall consensus is that it didn't make the grade, though, I'll gladly give it another try.

To Shining Son: Yeah... I'm pretty sure that you don't need my blessing to use a lightning bolt. [Smile] But to your other point, absolutely... I'll do a Who's Who list with the last group shot. But really, though... are you trying to say that after a couple months of posting you can't symbolically recognize 140 or so online personalities by sight? Man... get with it! [Wink] [LOL]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Well it was YOUR lightning bolt, with a bit of color adjustment within the symbol. So polite to ask I figure. [Smile]
From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
[Proty]
Thank-you!

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
Hey I did not know that the emoticon on Calamity King changed from the one with Anvil dropping on his head smashing him to the column falling over him....hmmmm oddly..the emoticon works better than the symbol....maybe it s the "C" that really bothers me or its the misplaced hat? well lets see how the consensus says. if they like it then its okay. I'll move on. There are still many symbols that I admire, esp Candle and Teeds. [Smile]
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Damn you are one creative dude, Ex!

Love them all! Especially Peebs, Matthew E and Sharky!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Ooh, and Cleome and the Red Bee!

But my absolute favorite of the entire series is Eryk's!!!

[ August 13, 2011, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Ex - I'm a fan forever. Mine is, of course, very special and I appreciate the spirit and tact with which you approached it.

The other new additions are great. I'm definitely a fan of the crumbling column for EDE - it evokes one of the greatest moments ever in LSH tryout history.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Eryk's, too, though it doesn't look like an E to me. (More like a C?) Anyway, it's clearly a column that's falling apart, and the nelly cap is a nice touch.

Great job on all of these, Ex. Your creativity amazes me.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
I like Eryk's, too, though it doesn't look like an E to me.

It's an interlac "E", remember.

I dig it!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
This last batch is especially awesome! Great work, Ex!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Just a quick bump for the next page...

--------------------

This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.