Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Monitor Board Symbols (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   
Author Topic: LMB Monitor Board Symbols
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Your work is brilliant Exnihil - a very kind gift to all the Legion Worlders!

Seeing all 150 symbols together shows the amazing artistic range you have and the effort you placed in each and all.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Rockhopper Lad:
For what it's worth, Ibby, when Rocky was elected Deputy Leader under Joeboy, I wrote the LMB Leader's oath of office. As leader, Rocky would have been sworn in with the following:

I, Yy’dyptyyz Krysokom ky Rokk H’por kep D’zant L’yal ky Ollurem’yy Pyngwyny, Rockhopper Lad, do solemnly swear that I will faithfully execute the Office of Leader of the Legion of Message Board Posters, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the Legion of Message Board Posters and Legion World, so help me Dywh.

I wrote in such a way that the name of the appropriate Deity can be invoked at the end. Joeboy took it ending with "so help me Solomon, Hercules, Achilles, Zeus, Atlas and Mercury."

I'm not surprised [Razz] Nice oath, Rocky. Short, solemn, to the point.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
The recent return of a couple long absent LMBers (Rokk Steady and Kid Chaos) inspired me to briefly revisit this project for a few additions, both to pick up a few I missed last time out, and to celebrate a few others who have earned some prominence on LW over the past six months or so.

First, a quick recap of where we left off, then a new post with the first two of ten new logos.

The Recap:

-
 -
 -

WHO'S WHO:

1. Abin Quank, Actor Lad, Arachne, Arm Fall Off Boy, Arms Fall Off Boy, Awkward Pause Boy, Beagle Boy (Beagz), Bicycle Repair Man

2. Blacula, Blockade Boy, Blue Battler, The Boy with Ultra Powers (Matt), Caliente, Cleome, Cobalt Kid

3. The Crusader, Crymsun Kid, Dedman, Dev-Em, Director Lad, Doctor Mayavale, Doctor One, Double Chinner

4. Drake B 3004, Enigma (C.J. Taylor), Eryk Davis Ester, Everyday Girl, Exnihil, Fanfic Lady, Faraway Lad

5. Fat Cramer, Ferro Boy, Floating Foxlike Creature, Freekinos (Freek'd Kid), Frio, Future, Future King, Gamara

6. Gary Concord, The Gay Green Giant (3G), The Ghost of Numf-El, Giant Robotic Lesbian, Gigglebot Girl, Grey Birdboy, Harbinger

7. He Who Wanders (LSHes), Helena Handbasket, High Priestess Viviane, Hot Chick (Kalla Hrykos), Hrun the Barbarian, Icefire, Invisible Brainiac, Jailbait Lass (Lolita)

8. Jerry, Jim Gallagher, Karie, Kenaustin, Kent Shakespeare, Kid Charlemagne, Kid Flash 2 Fan

9. Kid Marvel, Kid Prime, Kid Quislet, Kid Vudoo (rtvu2), Korbal, Krypton Kid, The Labradorian, Lad Boy

10. Lance's Realm, Language Arts Lad (Dave), Lard Lad, Lash Lad, Leap Year Lord (or Lass), l.e.g.i.o.nJOHN, Legion Reference File Lad (Chaim Mattis Keller)

11. Legion Tracker, Lightning Lad, l'il Rhino, Lonestar Ranger, Lone Wolf Legionnaire, Looks That Kill Lad, Loser Lad, Lucien Lad (Bevis)

12. Malvolio, Matlock, Matthew E, Mattropolis, Mechana, Minesurfer, Monkey Eater Lad

13. Mystery Lad, My Whee Fem. Nightcrawler, Nova Girl, Novelty, Omega Man, Omni Craig, Outdoor Miner

14. Pagan Lass, Paris Cub, Polar Boy, Portfolio Lad, Poverty Lad, Power Boy, Professor H-0011 (profh0011)

15. Quislet Esq., Raging Bull, Ram Boy, Reboot, Red Arrow, The Red Bee, Ricardo, Rickshaw

16. Rockhopper Lad, Rouge (Dave Hackett), Sam Pureheart, Sarcasm Kid, Saturn Girl, Seahorse, Semi-Transparent Fellow

17. Senor Widebottom. Set, Shadowplay in Candlelight Lass, Shark Lad, Sir Roy, Sketch Lad, Sonnie, Space Ranger

18. Space Tart, Spellbinder, Star Boy, Stoopid Cat, STU, Suddenly Seymour, Superboy MDD Jr.

19. Tamper Lad, Tempest, Thriftshop Debuntante, Timber Wolf, Time Teller Lad, Tromium, 235 Andy S, Ultra-Jorge

20. Varalent (Vee), Virgin Lad (Clive), Walk With Crowds, White Raven (Whitelighter), Xben, The Yellow Kid (YK), Zardi - The Eternal Man

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

So up first, the two posters who, upon seeing their names pop up, caused me to bust out the old logo template, Kid Chaos and Rokk Steady:

-
 -

For Kid C, I used a variant on the Symbol of Chaos designed by Michael Moorcock. The symbol was an eight arrow radial symbol signifying, I'm assuming, all the directions. The symmetry of that symbol though, sort of belies its "chaotic" intent, so I dropped out one of the arrows, causing a dual effect of creating a "C" for the base, and creating an optical illusion where the whole thing now seems slightly off center.

For Rokk, I wanted to incorporate the "disc" motif on Cosmic boy's uniform, while, at the same time indicating steadiness. I went with a sort of heart monitor pattern enclosed by two of the discs. It's a bit thinner than most of the other symbols I've done, but I dig the way it sort of evokes the old Giffen designs (kind of like the Bouncing Boy symbol).

[ April 20, 2012, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
God, I missed these. Great additions, Exxie!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks so much, Future. I've always enjoyed doing these. Who knows... if I keep getting the bug every so often, I might wind up doing all 1589 members! [Smile]

So, up next, two members of the LMB's "lower case auxilliary":

googoomuck and razsolo

-
 -

Since my posting paths don't always cross with all the members that I do these for, I sometimes have to do a little poking into the links they put into their profiles, or take a look at the other spots on the web that they haunt to get some ideas. That is the case with the next two.

Googoomuck maintains a home page that is a tribute to old combat games from the 70's and 80's, in addition to linking to an online version of one of my old childhood favorites, Stratego. For his symbol, I used a variant on the Stratego bomb game piece, converting the housing into an Interlac "G". (While I always thought that the "Spy" was actually the coolest piece in Stratego, far be it from me to use that and accidentally imply that googoomuck might be an LMB double-agent [Wink] )

And speaking of stealthy folks - once I started taking a look at razsolo's creative works - I was like, "Wow, how did this fellow fly below my radar for so long?" Very creatively diverse, Raz not only writes some phenomenal Legion fan fiction, but has also created his own web comic, and has done hundreds of hilarious T-shirt designs (including the ones for Legion bit players Hate Face and Dr. Zan Orbal). Rather than reinvent the wheel for Raz, the symbol I used here is one of his own design, a cute little fellow called the "Kawaii Satan".

Four down... six more to go...

--------------------

Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
[Hug] [Hug] [Hug]
Just fellin' huggy; I <3 these, as usual.
Kid Chaos' is especially brilliant, by the way.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, Shady!

Some of these symbols wind up being fairly easy to do (there is either an established character, a clear interest, or a fairly obvious association to the name). For others, the concepts in the user names are a bit more abstract, and require a sort of symbolic leap to make the association.

For the next two, we've got one of each, with Owl Lad and Mediocre Boy:

-
 -

Owl Lad is very straight forward... it's an owl.

You want more? Sigh... fine... [Smile] I didn't want to do a straight Night Girl lift because that would be too easy, (and besides, what if there winds up being a poster named Night Girl later on?) So I sort of went a more stylized route. I have to admit, I always really like doing animal themed symbols - StuRat, Ram Boy, lil Rhino - I don't know... maybe it's because animals are some of the first things you start drawing when you're a little kid, but for some reason they make me happy.

For Mediocre Boy, I actually went through a couple iterations of a different design before deciding that less was more. First off, I want to make sure that everyone realizes this symbol is just tongue in cheek (for all I know MB might be the world's biggest over-achiever - but he did choose that screenname). Anyway, I tried to think what could capture the concept of "Mediocrity".

I did a couple of versions of the old "Participant" ribbon that you used to get in school during field day if you were a complete boob (I got plenty - trust me!) but, at this scale, trying to spell that out in Interlac just looked like little brown dots. Finally I saw online a picture of one of those "Demotivator" posters especially for Mediocrity... a high jump bar set super low. Genius! So, although I did do my own version of the graphic, the idea is totally stolen. Talk about mediocrity! [Smile]

--------------------

SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Awesome work as always, Ex!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Mediocre Boy's made me laugh ... very funny.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Thanks, guys!

OK... down to the final four of the ten new additions to the LMB logo collection, so I'm going to give each one of these their own post.

First up, we've got a fellow who, right from the start, began to blend seamlessly into the Legion World community - such that when he noted that he had reached 100 posts I was actually really surprised, having thought that he had been around for far longer...

Shining Son

-

For Shiney's symbol, obviously the main bit is just a literal take on a shining sun but, then, it hangs as a pendulum from the genogram symbols for father and mother, indicating that he is the "son" of... wait... you don't know whose son he is?

We had a whole thread about it: HERE, where it was revealed that his father is actually... no... I'll let you do the leg work yourself.

Fine... if you need another hint, I will tell you that, according to some recent developments elsewhere - given who Shiney's dad is - that would make fellow LMB member, Karie, his adopted sister.

And they say Legion World isn't family friendly!

[ April 22, 2012, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
When the hell did that happen? The sister part, and does this mean that the person in question is going to be a dark lord sometime soon?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Arrgh, Dev... making me provide citations... O.K., wait one sec...

Here we are...

On a planet called "Facebook"... hmm, odd name for a planet... anyway... on March 21st of this year, at the off-world home of the person in question, the adoption of the LMB member Karie was fast-tracked, and she officially became his daughter and - by extension - Shining Son's sister.

If I see it on the web... it's canon! [Smile]

About the whole "dark lord" thing... I pretty much assume that about any Legion Worlder that's been around for more than a year or so.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Good point.

>practices heavy breathing<

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

I see the evidence now. Interesting.
  This topic comprises 19 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.