Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » My DC SF Worlds Legion

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My DC SF Worlds Legion
Klar Ken T5477
The Future Superman of 2965

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
I have had on my mind for some time an alternate Legion based on ’60’s DC science fiction.
This might be the core of the mysterious Tempus Knights of the 41st century, a new Legion of Super-Villains, or a set of recruits or opponents for L.E.G.I.O.N.

Source: Ultra, the Multi-Alien
Ultra is composed of four alien races.

-

(1) Ulla is a planet of owl-headed, orange-feathered humanoids with tiny wings on their ankles which allow them to fly unaided through space, a kind of Dawnstar analogue, only without the tracking ability.

(2) The inhabitants of the planet Laroo are diminutive, blue-skinned, bald-headed, pointy-eared aliens with the magnetic abilities, somewhat similar to Braaliens.

(3) Trago is home to a race that has the appearance of living lightning, and displays the powers of Lightning Lad, Lightning Lass, Lightning Lord, and very possibly Jonni Thunder.

(4) Raagaar is the homeworld of a race of large, shaggy, green-furred, intimidating-looking beasts with super-strength and enhanced agility, much like Timber Wolf. However, they are apparently also the most intelligent of the four races, and display super-technological abilities. Think Timber Wolf with Gear's personality.

These four worlds orbit a common, unnamed star. I see four teen-agers from these worlds- a lightning-caster, a magnetism-controller, a super-strong super-athlete, and a flying character, as the four founders of this new Legion.

Source: The Justice League: the Tyrants of Antares

Like the Ultra group, Antares also has four worlds which have developed independent, intelligent life in the 20th century. (How the Antarean Proteans fit in is another question.)

-

(5) Kanjar Ro is ruler of Dhor, and on one occasion gained super-abilities three times as great as Superman’s when exposed to the triple sun of Rann. However, he seemed able to use only one triple-super-power at a time. I assume that all Dhorians would gain similar powers on other triple-sun worlds, such as Carggg or Zoon. A solar splitter of some kind might make those powers permanent, creating a kind of red-skinned, pointy-nosed Ultra Boy.

-

(6) Hyanthis was the ruler of Alstair, a world of plant-people with psychic control over plants. However, rather than being brown-and-green, Alstairan plant-life was orange-and-purple. More Floronic Man than Chlorophyll Kid.

-

(7) Kromm of Mosteel was a tin-plated dictator (or, at least, metal-skinned) who reminds me of Ferro Lad.

-

(8) Sayyar of Llar was a typical reptile-type alien overlord whose people apparently had the innate ability to control gravity, like Star Boy/Man, Light Lass, and Gravity Kid.

Source: Kryptonian-class heroes

(9) There were innumerable Superboy and Supergirl analogues through the years that could serve in the place of the Kryptonian cousins, Mon-El, and Andromeda. Some of my favorites were Skyboy, aka Tharn of Kormo; Chester (Hyperboy) King of Oceania; Luma Lynai, the Supergirl of Staryl; and in more recent years Vartox, Maxima, J’Emm, and Lobo. Understand that these individuals would not be joining this alternate Super-Hero Club per se, but new, teen-aged versions from their respective planets. Choose three or four.

Source: Miscellaneous Others:

(10) Grax of Exor was a blue-skinned, four-armed antagonist of both Brainiac, Superman, and the Super-Friends, who claimed a 20th-level intelligence. That intelligence was not always evident, (no one can be smarter than their writers) but I imagine a descendant from the distant future: codename Quadrexx-64. Possibly Hyperboy’s girlfriend, her force-shield belt is so advanced, it’s more like a combination force field / Star Trek replicator / Legion time bubble.

(11) Zook, the other-dimensional sidekick/pet of the Martian Manhunter gets no respect anymore. But maybe a teen-aged female member of the same race, with the combined powers of Polar Boy, Sun Boy, and Elastic Lad could draw some attention. They could draw some clothing on this one.

(12) Every team needs a transporter, and perhaps Kulan Dar of Julnar, the six-inch-tall Europium Man from the first issues of the Atom would fill the bill. Better yet, a teen-aged Julnari counterpart. Consumes Europium when she teleports.

(13) Hawkman and Hawkwoman once encountered the Wingors of Wingor, winged gorillas from another dimension who, like Dawnstar, Shikari, and Ultra, the Multi-Alien, had the power to fly through space naked.

(14) Green Arrow and Speedy once encountered the Xeen, a race of giants a kilometer high who lived in another dimension, similar to the giant children who played with the puppets on the Puppet Planetoid in the Legion comics. (Maybe it was the same race.) Specifically, they encountered “Xeen Arrow”. A teen Xeen, if provided with a way to temporarily reduce his size from time to time, might prove an asset to the team.

(15) My favorite choice for a magic-user would be a descendant of Myrwhydden, Green Lantern’s old nemesis, because I like to see magic preceded by doggerel.

(16) There is also the Spectre’s old nemesis Kulak, with three burning red eyes, a master sorcerer on his extra-dimensional homeworld of Brztal. A teen Kulak might be welcome in this Legion- or a Phantom Girl analogue, with more well-developed 4-dimensional powers.

Source: Legion Worlds

There are a few Legion worlds that could still provide interesting alien super-heroes. Or villains.

(17) Antares IV: Does anyone else notice that the Antareans, with shape-shifting and telepathic abilities, come perilously close to the Martian Manhunter’s power set? Give them telekinesis, and you’re there.

(18) The World of Weird Furry Bouncing Head-Things: not only do they bounce, but their mouths are large enough to hide a couple of human-sized sentients in. Bouncing Boy and Matter-Eater Lad combined?

(19) A Reptilian Shape-Shifter from Zyzan: Holographic invisibility! Super-disguise! An Invisible Kid / Chameleon Boy analogue! Well, the early Chameleon Boy, sort of. Codename: Ydobon

[ August 30, 2011, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: Tom Tanner Issue #1 ]

--------------------
"So different from the Original Superman of Krypton!"

Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
This is pretty cool!

As I recall, there's all kinds of obscure one-shot characters in Strange Adventures that could be used for something like this!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Klar Ken T5477   Email Klar Ken T5477         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, most of the Strange Adventures aliens I can recall were either (a) gorillas (b) big, scary monsters which were essentially gorillas.

If I could find one or two that were really outstanding, I could use them as alternates for Blok or Monstress.

(And by "outstanding", I mean like the Saturnians in Thor- I have pretty low standards)

--------------------

Emily Sivana
Ask Question Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Emily Sivana   Email Emily Sivana         Edit/Delete Post     
Hyanthis is really cool despite being a bit obscure. I was going to use her in a project that was ultimately side-lined. I know Legion has a no powers from external source thing, but I have always liked Tomar-Re (Xudarian).

[ August 27, 2011, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: Emily Sivana ]

--------------------
Go with the good and you'll be like them; go with the evil and you'll be worse than them.- Portuguese Proverb

From: Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
This list might be useful to cherry pick aliens for this sort of Legion.
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lone Wolf Legionnaire
Academy Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lone Wolf Legionnaire   Email Lone Wolf Legionnaire         Edit/Delete Post     
I've thought of using the name Strange Adventurers for a team title using DC's 21st century alien characters, with Adam Strange as the leader of the group.

--------------------
I tried to rip their soul out.I tried to make them forget Superman.
But they won't.

From: Kentucky | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477

These guys could probably make an SF Legion all by themselves- however, I know absolutely nothing of the story, the characters, or their homeworlds.

The book lists for $1500 on Overstreet, so I don't think I'll be buying a copy any time soon.

-

--------------------

Klar Ken T5477

Apparently, Captain Comet tangled with Bgztlrs a couple of times:
 -

-

And here is a villainous Legion of Super-Pets!
 -

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Earthling fool! [LOL] Love it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Note the "bouncing alien beast" trope, almost as prevalent as the "alien creature who can eat any form of matter" trope!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Klar Ken T5477

-

BIZARRO WORLD IN 1954!

(When Bizarro himself did not appear until 1958.)

I would pay some serious money for TBPs of Mystery in Space, House of Mystery, Strange Adventures, or Tales of the Unexpected.

In this computer age, do you think DC might be able to to one-off TBP compilations?

The jaw-droppingly poor quality of writing is on a par with R.L. Stine, and you know how much I love him.

Oh, wait, no, you don't.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

If you haven't seen it, you should check out the Showcase Presents: Strange Adventures volume!

Particularly groovy for Legion fans, as many of the stories were written by Ed Hamilton!

Klar Ken T5477

Okay, I know everyone already knows this, but let me refresh your memory of:
THE TRAGIC STORY OF ZOOK
An unnamed planet in an unnamed dimension: two alien criminals travel through a “space-warp” to create havoc on Earth.

-

Note that they have powers similar to Quake Kid. As the Martian Manhunter opposes them, he is aided by R’Ell, a lawman from the same unnamed planet in that unnamed dimension. He does name the fourth creature to come through the “space-warp”—a little “animal” he calls a “zook”.

-

This “little animal” is able to speak a kind of pidgin English, as well as read and write. So I guess that Earthlings- and perhaps Martians- are “animals” to R’Ell’s people.
The Martian Manhunter adopts the little alien as a “pet”, and names him “Zook”, which is kind of like getting a dog, and naming him “Dog”.
Zooks have the ability to change the temperature of their bodies, mimicking
Sun Boy and Polar Boy’s powers. In fact, they are able to make their bodies colder than physically possible:

-

For those of you who don’t know, absolute zero is -460F, at which all molecular motion stops. Apparently, it is at least 9,500 degrees lower than that in the zook’s dimension.
Zook is also able to stretch his body, sort of like Elastic Lad, and has a “tracking sense” similar to Dawnstar.

-

The special senses his antennae gave him also made it possible for him to recognize the Martian Manhunter no matter what physical form he took.

Zook no longer exists in the DC universe. I believe the reasons are:

a. He - or it is too cutesy. Looks like a 4-year-old child on Halloween.
b. Talks baby-talk. Too cutesy times two.
c. It’s too powerful. J’Onn J’Onzz has enough powers to keep track of without adding a sidekick with even more.
d. Keeping an obviously intelligent, self-aware being as a pet is just too creepy-weird.
e. Zook is always naked.
f. J’Onn J’Onzz and Zook had a relationship could be read as maybe a little inappropriate. Although speculation about Zook-Martian physiology is a little iffy.

-

-

The reason that Zook looked like a four-year-old may have been that he was a four-year-old.

So here is a Hero Machine of an adult, female zook.

-

--------------------

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
R'ell and the 'vibro-aliens' are funky.

Zook, on the other hand, needs to wear some clothes. Yikes!

10,000 degrees below zero? Huh. My first thought was that maybe he meant something other than Fahrenheit, but that doesn't work in *any* temperature measurement system!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.