Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » Loss: A Tribute to the Post Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Loss: A Tribute to the Post Zero Hour Legion of Superheroes
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
To the Postboot Legionnaires, wherever they are.

Andromeda
Apparition
Brainiac 5
Chameleon

Chuck Taine
Cosmic Boy
Dreamer
Element Lad
Ferro
Gates
Gear
Inferno
Invisible Kid
Karate Kid
Kid Quantum I
Kid Quantum II
Kinetix
Leviathan
Live Wire
Magno
M'Onel
Monstress
Saturn Girl
Sensor
Shikari
Spark
Star Boy
Superboy
Thunder
Timber Wolf
Triad
Ultra Boy
Umbra
Violet
Wildfire
XS

“For there will always be a need for heroes.”

RJ Brande remembered his words to then-Legion leader Invisible Kid at the end of the campaign against Mordru, and sighed.

The Legionnaires had been lost many times before; tossed back to the 20th Century, stranded in the Second Galaxy, scattered across the worlds of a galaxy without Stargates.

Yet, they’d always come back.

This time, though…

The Legion was last seen fighting the Fatal Five Hundred, the Fatal Fives of several realities banded together. They’d succeeded, of course. They’d saved the United Planets again.

And they’d disappeared alongside their adversaries.

Nobody really registered it at first. Most sentients rejoiced or said prayers to their deities in thanks for sending them saviors. A fair few cursed the Legionnaires for attracting the attention of such villains. But everyone just assumed the Legionnaires had survived unscathed as they usually had, and would continue on doing their jobs.

Those who did know had scrambled to do what they could to find the missing young heroes. But with all their 31st Century technology, they had failed.

And then, a few days later, the Crisis came. Gigantic hands, ethereal in nature, had appeared in the skies above Earth. And above Bgztl. Imsk. Aleph. Thanagar. Titan. Khundia. Elia. Even the Second Galaxy saw the hands. And no Legionnaires were there to answer the call.

The Legion cadets did what they could, but they were inexperienced and lacked team cohesion. Colu’s group mind tried to study the phenomenon, but science came up empty. Naltor’s seers were blindsided. The Titanians could only determine that there was no sentient they could reach behind the hands. Even the Daxamites and the galaxy’s sorcerers, led by the Lady Mysa, could do nothing.

And then the Legionnaires had reappeared, magically, as if in answer to the prayers of a myriad of hearts. A harried Kid Quantum had quickly explained that the Legionnaires had been lost in the timestream, then had suddenly been pulled back to their universe. Brainiac 5 had theorized that the same hands which were reshaping reality were also the hands which had brought them back, possibly as a side effect. Shikari had then led the Legionnaires off into the hands’ origin.

The hands had disappeared. And the Legion had disappeared along with them once more. Even though numerous allies had been with them in the thick of it, only the active Legionnaires had gone.

The vast uncertainty about what had happened had left everyone numb. Nobody was sure what to believe. There was no finality about it, like during the Great Rift Disaster. No bodies had remained, like when Apparition or Leviathan had died. No traces of energy, like when the Emerald Eye had banished them.

RJ knew the Galaxy would endure. New heroes, like Chuck Taine, Nightwind and Infectious Lass, would emerge. But no matter how much he knew that, nothing could heal the wounds of that day. Legends had been lost. Many of them had been lost several times before. And even though he’d held on to hope before… he felt, with a deep aching inside, that hope would be no help now.

Notes:

1. The Legion first vanished into the timestream at the end of the Teen Titans/Legion Special. Present were all active Legionnaires, and Chuck Taine (there was a figure with a cap and jacket). Shikari was separated from her teammates, and emerged in an unfamiliar world. Unfortunately, this was not picked up on.

2. In Infinite Crisis 6, the Legionnaires are shown in one panel, back home on Earth-247. Shikari reappears as well, stating that she has finally found them. Apparently, at the end of Infinite Crisis, Earth-247 ceases to exist.

3. The Legionnaires next appear in Legion of 3 Worlds, trapped once more in Limbo. Chuck Taine is absent, but Andromeda is present.

4. This story assumes that Earth-247 had somehow continued on after Infinite Crisis. Perhaps I will explain how at the end...

5. Magno had resigned from active Legion membership, and remains on Earth-247.

6. Thunder resigned from Legion membership, and apparently still remains in the 90th Century of her Earth.

7. Inferno had resigned from Legion membership, and is apparently still in the 31st Century.

8. XS and Gates are with the Retroboot Legion on the new post-Flashpoint Earth.

9. Kinetix was apparently killed in action during Legion of 3 Worlds. Her magic was absorbed first by Mordru, then by the Black Witch (Mysa).

10. Element Lad, Monstress, Leviathan and Kid Quantum I all died in the universe of Earth-247 long before the events of the Teen Titans/Legion Special.

11. The current Legion of Super-heroes consists of Nightwind (leader), Infectious Lass, Polar Boy, Babbage, Magnetic Kid, the White Witch (Lady Mysa), Impulse (Kent Shakespeare), Lume, Particon, and Spider-Girl (who just joined). Chuck Taine works with them but is non-powered.

12. Other supporting cast members who work with the Legion include Dyrk Magz, Shvaughn Erin, Gigi Cusimano, Tenzil Kem, Lori Morning (minus her H-Dial), RJ Brande, Marla Latham, Proty, Dr. Ryk'rr, Dr. Gym'll and Winema Wazzo. The Uncanny Amazers and the Legion Cadets are also active.

[ December 08, 2012, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

KINETIX [Kinetix]

Azra Saugin settled in her seat and closed her eyes. Her fingers closed around the pendant she wore around her neck, caressing it as gently as she once had her daughter.

Zoe.

Life as a Legionnaire’s mother had not always been easy. A depowered Zoe had disappeared once before when the Daxamites were running amok, but she had reappeared with her powers restored, albeit with a tail!

She'd lost the tail when she and Azra had confronted her manipulator, the witch Mysa. Luckily, she'd kept her powers.

She had disappeared again when she’d been transformed into a Terrorform – she was still existent, but her physical form had been altered, and there was almost no trace of the old Zoe.

The Zoe that loved to laugh, to playfully mother her friends, to fire off an occasionally biting yet witty comment.

Her heart had broken that day, when she and her son Thanot had visited Legion World to see Zoe once more. Zoe’s best friend, Violet, had glowingly told her that Zoe had been responsible for gaining the Legionnaires entry to Earth in order to defeat Computo. Azra had rushed forward as Zoe had entered the room, embracing her only daughter. And Zoe had just stood there, unmoving. When the silence broke, Zoe only spoke. Or perhaps "thought" was a better word, as her daughter’s voice had appeared in her head.

“Mother, you look well.”

That’s all. No excited recounting of her role in the battle. No showing off her new costume designs.

Even the phrase hung dry in the air, as it were a simple declaration, devoid of emotion.

Azra cried that night. How could she really say Zoe was there, when only her striking auburn hair remained?

Brainiac 5, bless him, had given her hope, though. He’d theorized that Zoe would eventually expend all her Hypertaxis energy and return to normal. It would just take some time – she had absorbed a lot, much more than any other Terrorform had.

It would just take some time. Azra got rooms on Legion World to wait. And wait she would, even if it took years.

Brainiac 5 had been right. Over the months that followed, Zoe started sounding more and more like herself. Her old zest had returned; Violet reported she’d started to make quips in battle again.

One of the biggest signs the old Zoe was back was when she'd organized a shopping trip "for girls only"! She'd invited Azra along, and excitedly introduced her to each of her Legionnaire friends.

Finally, four months after Azra had come to Legion World, Zoe had come to her.

“Mom! I just realized how much I’d missed you!”
Mother, daughter and son had hugged like the world was ending right that moment.

They had packed right up and gone on a dig, just like old times.

As they were dusting off the treasures they'd unearthed, a task made easier by Zoe's vast powers, she had turned to her mother and said, “Mom, I’ve been thinking. As I've been using up the Hypertaxis energy, I've slowly realized again how much I missed being me. It's like I can feel again, like I'm slowly transforming back to human."

Zoe paused as her mother held her hand. No words needed to be spoken to convey Azra's message: "Me too."

"Now, I'm not in a hurry to use all this power up. I mean, I can do a lot of good with it, and I'm willing to wait a while longer."

"You always did love the feeling of helping people," Azra had said.

"Yes, but all the changes I've been through have made me think - I lost my powers once. Became almost catatonic another time. And now this. I've gone through so many changes because of all the powers around me. No mom,” Zoe held up a hand to stop Azra, who had been about to lecture her on being a hero. "I know, I know. Being a Legionnaire is dangerous, but I love doing good. It's just me, you know?"

"But I can't help thinking. None of us know if I'll lose my powers, get transformed, or... well, none of us knows what might happen. And I keep thinking I should do more. I should leave something lasting while I still can."

Azra had stroked her daughter’s hair (not easy to do when Zoe towered above her!) and told her how proud she was of her for thinking about that. Then they’d sat down and thrown ideas around. Azra had suggested Zoe think about a need to fulfill that lay within her own interests.

Zoe had finally settled on a scholarship foundation for budding fashion design students. One requirement was that grantees had to devote part of their time to working on functional designs. Zoe would raise the funds using her clout as a Legionnaire, while Azra and Thanot would set up the administration. Their first grantee, a brilliant young Alephian, had come up with several suits and accessories for archeologists. Azra was wearing one such creation now; the suit had pockets in all the right places for a variety of useful tools, and used fabric that could adjust to sudden changes in temperature.

The girl, named Mabuhay, had been a childhood friend of Zoe's. They hadn't seen each other much after Zoe had been old enough to accompany Azra on digs, but they'd always kept in touch. True to her nature, Zoe had contacted her friend immediately after they'd settled on the scholarship.

As a tribute to Zoe, she'd made her first collection entirely in shades of green.

They had always planned to do more after that. But then, Zoe and hear teammates had all been lost…

Blinking back the tears, Azra chastised herself. She could cry later. Now, she had to make sure she could fulfill whatever of her daughter’s dreams she still could.

She would not take no for an answer.

She wanted this so badly for Zoe. All Zoe had ever wanted was to help people and earn her place in the universe. And she had - all Azra would do was make sure everyone knew that.

[ October 14, 2011, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

MONSTRESS [Monstress]

Insect Queen, Lonna Leing, crossed her arms and nodded with satisfaction. The grand opening of the Zoe and Candi Institute of Design was going extremely well.

She glided to her seat and settled back to listen to the ending words of Azra Saugin’s speech.

“… and with the support of everyone here today, we are pleased to say that together, we can continue honoring the memories of Zoe Saugin and Candi Pyponte-Le Parc III. These two young women gave their lives… but they also gave us hope, and a promise that while our lives may end, our legacies can live forever.” Azra smiled in her dark green business suit as the crowd erupted into applause.

A strong, graceful women, Insect Queen thought. She had only met Kinetix a couple of times, but she could see where she’d gotten her forceful character.

Unlike with Monstress. Candi had been a sweet, caring young woman. She glanced quickly at Monstress’ father, seated towards the side with his hands on his walking stick, face wooden. Amidst the cheers of the audience, he just sat there, unmoving. Perhaps unfeeling, as well.

Lonna wondered how someone like Monstress could have someone like that as her father. It was always the same, every birthday, every anniversary, every time the Amazers were recognized. Monstress would receive a gift or a card, pause for just one moment, and make a comment about how her father was busy, but “he was so thoughtful to send me this wonderful pair of shoes! They match my costume so perfectly!”

Lonna knew that Candi had spent many birthdays crying herself to sleep.

As the crowd around her organized into smaller groups to tour the building, Lonna set off on a brisk pace towards Mr. Pyponte-Le Parc.

“Sir, I’m Lonna Leing, Insect Queen. I was a teammate of your daughter’s, back in the Uncanny Amazers.” He tilted his head to her, nodding, and accepting her hand with a strong handshake.

“I’ve heard about you. Thank you for helping with the preparations for the opening.”

Lonna was slightly surprised. She’d imagined he’d be more… dry. His grip was firm, his greeting fairly warm. “Candi was a good friend. I’m glad to have helped. This is definitely something she would have wanted.”

He closed his eyes and nodded. Emboldened, Lonna continued, “She loved your very much, sir. She was always showing off the gifts you sent her. I think she’d be happy to know that you built this in her memory.”

He nodded once more, and his eyes closed for a second. “Azra Saugin was very convincing. And her words rang true. She told me that no matter where our daughters were, or what they looked like, we still loved them.” He paused, leaning heavily on his stick. Lonna could tell it wasn’t because of weariness. It was a sense of loss that now weighed on him. Loss, and guilt.

“Ms. Leing… Thank you for telling me about Candi. I was always worried that my actions had caused her great sadness, but it was hard for me to face her since I always felt responsible for the changes she went through. But seeing you and all the others who came her today to honor her memory made me realize that she still lived a full and complete life even after her accident. And that is all that I wanted for her. I like to think that she knew that.”

Lonna honestly didn’t know if that were true, but she placed a hand on Candi’s fathers, and gave a light squeeze. “I think she did, sir. I think she did.”

Above them, the statue of Monstress that adorned the institute’s main hall gleamed in the light, as if it had just shed a tear.

[ October 10, 2011, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

TIMBER WOLF
[Timber Wolf - Post-Boot]

The full moon glowed over the urban jungle that was Rimbor. Panting, Hubble scampered along the crowded alleyways, making his way to the meeting place.

A few months back, it would have been nearly impossible to have run along this area. But the Wolf Pack had taken a new pride in their territory, and part of that pride involved maintaining the area. If Rimbor did have any sort of community, this was the closest thing to it.

Hubble finally made it to the meeting place, and handed a package to Crody. “You made it just in time, bro.” The older man patted him on the back with a smile. “No thanks to Rn’drr here.”

“Hey, nobody told me that silverale was for tonight! You shoulda warned me, bros!”

“Just the same, you’re forking over the cash for this, ayt? Now quiet down, bro. We’re about to start. Get everyone together.”

Rn’drr threw up his arms in a annoyance, then stomped off. “Mash! Race! Round everyone up, boss man says it’s time!”

Hubble noted that Rn’drr’s limp was almost gone. He glanced at Crody, and saw that the scar on his face had faded, too. In the moonlight, it was almost imperceptible. Hubble’s own scar was still pretty deep, but hidden in his hair. He was just thankful that their entire gang had survived the three bounty hunters that had come hunting for the Legionnaire Apparition when she was hiding out with them. The whole gang was still together, save one. They’d grown since then, too.

Hubble felt a small pang of sadness that was quickly suppressed by a swelling of pride. Sure, Brin Londo was gone, but he’d done good while he was alive. Rimbor gang-boy who’d escaped the hellhole of a planet and gone on to become a Legionnaire, flying into battle alongside teammates who’d come from much better pedigrees than he had. He could hold his own against the best of them, too.

Brin had returned a couple of times during his Legion career. “Bros,” he’d tell them, “being a Legionnaire… it ain’t just about bashing some guy’s head in when he’s making trouble. Nah, first you show him who’s the alpha male, then you fix what he’s done. I say we keep doing that here. Rimbor may be a hellhole, but it’s our hellhole, and I sure am sprocking sick of living in a filthy hellhole. Let’s do something about it.”

And so they had done something. Their little neighborhood was relatively clean by Rimbor standards. Legit businesses had sprung up; families from elsewhere had relocated here. The place was a community now, almost like the ones he saw on the holoseries.

Crody cleared his throat, and Hubble listened attentively while scanning the circle gathered around the bonfire. The glow lit up around two dozen faces, all listening raptly to their new leader.

“Bros, thank you all for showing up tonight. Not a one of you drunk on your asses, either.” Crody tapped the bottle of silverale in his hand. “Plenty of time for that later, right?” Cheers resounded through the circle. Crody held up a hand, and the pack quieted.

“But first, let’s remember our bro, Brin. We wouldn’t be living this well without him and his crazy ideas. When he told us he wanted to clean up the ‘bor, I told him he was smoking something. But hey, it’s working. We’re getting better every day. Even the Emerald Dragons want to know how we’re doing it.”

Hubble could feel his head nodding, and those around him did the same. For their hated rivals to do that was a major validation.

“We done good, boys. And we did it as a pack. A wolf pack. And wolf packs take care of their own. Remember that. All the people living on our turf – they’re our own now too. We got a lot of work ahead of us, if we want to keep making what we’ve built.”

“But for now, we celebrate. Hubble, pass the cups around.” Taking a bottle from the package, Crody held it up high. “Premium silverale from Ventura! You don’t get to drink this every day, boys!” Soon, all cups were filled and raised high in the air.

“Long live Brin Londo and the Wolf Pack! We done good, boys!"

"And to anyone gets in our way - take that, you squajes!”

In unison, they all drank. Then, as one, they threw their heads back and let out a howl in a celebration of brotherhood and purpose.

The moon glowed bright, a promise that things would keep getting better.

[ October 11, 2011, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

KARATE KID [Karate Kid - Post-Boot]

Communique from Captain Shvaughn Erin to Legion World Science Police Detail

Subject: “Val Armorr” Training Program

Science Police High Command has approved the Val Armorr Unarmed Combat Training Program for integration into the Science Police Academy Curriculum.

The Program will begin use in seven earth-cycles.
All current Science Police Officers are also required to take classes. Competence will be assessed in six standard Earth months. Trainers and equipment will be provided at all Science Police District Offices. Please see file attachment for a list of offices and training schedules.

The Val Armorr Training Program was developed with the aid of Val Armorr, Karate Kid of the Legion of Superheroes. The Program’s keystones are:
  • Use of non-lethal force to subdue an enemy
  • Unarmed combat against common weapon types
  • Modules for disarming and disabling an enemy without causing permanent physical harm
Science Police Command would like to thank Lieutenant Gigi Cusimano and Officer Dyrk Magz for their crucial roles in developing this program.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

INVISIBLE KID [Invisible Kid - Post-Boot]

Condo Arlik stepped out into the rain, not caring as it poured on him. He felt that it matched the storm in his heart.

Before he met, and fell in love with, Lyle Norg, his thought life was good. But being with Lyle had added so much color to his life – it was as if the colors were a bit brighter, the smells more vivid, the sounds more melodious.

Rainy days were the worst. They reminded him of their first meeting.

Lyle had just stopped a thief, and a Condo in the budding stages of his career had managed to talk him into giving an interview. He’d asked many times before, but never really had the chance to talk before now. His persistence had finally paid off. They were sipping coffee while Condo was taking notes feverishly. Lyle was leaning back, not quite relaxed, but still confident.

“What do your parents say about you being a Legionnaire? We know not all Legionnaire parents are open to the idea,” Condo had asked.

“I’ve been in dangerous situations for a while now, Condo. I don’t think my parents would mind.”

“Oh, you don’t think so? Don’t they have any worries at all about you going into danger? You’ve already lost three teammates – Kid Quantum, Leviathan, and Apparition.”

“I… My parents are fully supportive of all my work as a Legionnaire.”

The change in Lyle’s tone didn’t escape Condo. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean…” He reached out his hand in a gesture of conciliation, and got a lapful of hot coffee for his trouble.

“Oh nass!”

He grabbed tissues quickly, more concerned about his Omnicom than anything else. Lyle quickly stood up too. “Easy now, your Omnicom is fine. Worry about your legs, you wouldn’t want to get a burn down there.” Lyle reached over with a few tissues in his hand.

Condo blushed. Both at his spilled coffee and at having Lyle fuss over him. “I’m sorry, you must think I’m a class-A nasshead by now. It’s just, you’re the first big name I’ve interviewed in my whole career, and… It can be intimidating.”

Lyle paused for a second, and smiled. “If you had interviewed me a couple of years ago, I’m sure you would have had the upper hand. I wouldn’t call myself shy, but I’m just not that comfortable in the spotlight. I’m actually glad we didn’t do a live interview. They make me want to use my powers right away.”

Condo smiled back. Lyle Norg had probably the cutest smile that he’d ever seen before. Whoa, what was he thinking? He had work to do…

He quickly grabbed his Omnicom to cover up his confusion. “Er, thanks. I know you’re busy, and my pants make me look like I have poor bladder control, so I just have a few more questions…”

“Do you live nearby?”

Condo’s heart stopped at that question. “What?”

“I think you have a lot more questions to ask, and I actually want to ask you some things too. But I’m sure you can’t concentrate while wearing those. Now, we’re pretty far away from Legion HQ, so if your place is close, you can get changed and we can continue while we’re there.”

Condo could tell from the look on Lyle’s face that that wasn’t all he wanted to continue. He couldn’t believe this was actually happening. His mouth hung open, and then he forced himself to speak. “Yeah, yeah sure. I live just a block away.” Lyle made a small bow. “Lead the way then, Condo.”

As they walked along, Condo thought of all the things he wanted to say. Pushing his thoughts aside, though, he decided to finish the interview now in case they ended up turning their attention to other matters later.

“So, uh, the thief you stopped… Was he trying to steal anything important?”

“Just some jewelry. Right now, though, there’s something important I want to steal…”

“Oh my gods, what a flirt,” thought Condo. But he liked it. He liked it a lot. “Why steal it when you can just ask, Invisible Kid?”

The two walked off, big grins on their faces.

Condo flashed back to the present. He was now standing underneath the memorial statue of his lover. The golden visage was determined, so unlike the mischievous Lyle he knew in his most private moments.

Underneath the statue was a small goblet with a simple inscription: "To my one and only brother." It looked like one of those toy cups handed out as promotional items from a fast-food place. Condo thought it might have been placed there by the Foccarts - Lyle had told him about them and his lost "brother" Jacques.

He started suddenly. Did the goblet just move? As if someone were holding it invisibly?

Shaking his head, he buried his face in his hands. “Get it together, man. What would Lyle think of you letting yourself go to pieces like this?”

Calming himself, he crouched before his own humble offering: a mug from the coffee shop where he and Lyle had first talked, all those years ago. Inscribed on the bottom was a simple message: “To my inspiration. You were once, and you always will be.”

Condo closed his eyes for a second, picturing happier times as the rain fell on him. He hoped it would wash away his sadness… but never his memories of the all too short time they had together.

[ October 13, 2011, 01:45 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

UMBRA [Umbra]

Jazinda lowered her head in greeting as she passed the offworlders walking along the streets of her village. They paid her little heed, though; they were too busy gawking at the sights around them. She smiled to herself. How strange it must be for them… after all, Talok VIII was unlike any other UP World.

It was only recently that Talok VIII had opened itself up once more. They had joined the UP with much excitement, even sending their planetary champion off-world to gain more recognition. Yet, the recent disasters with the Stargates, the Rift, and the odd happenings on Earth had convinced them to close off once more.

And then their champion had come back. And she had shown them the light.

In a passionate speech for the leaders of the 12 tribes and the shadow priests, Umbra had talked about how they had sent her out of Talok VIII to learn. She had faced her fears of losing her identity amongst the wide universe outside. She had grown and changed. And now Talok VIII must do the same, lest their hiding destroy them from within like what had happened when the Shadowforce had run amok.

Jazinda felt a little shame. Umbra had been right. They had hidden. That had not been true to their old proud nature as fierce warriors. Still, as warriors do, they had atoned for their mistake. Working with the Legion of Superheroes and the United Planets, Talok VIII had stepped comfortably into their current place in the UP. In exchange for valuable minerals, the UP traded them technology. Many Talokians now walked on far-off planets, and offworlders such as those she passed a while ago were becoming more common.

All thanks to one strong young woman.

Jazinda entered her home and looked around. Her daughter was not home yet.

Jazinda knelt at the statue of Umbra that adorned their mantle, saying a silent prayer that Larysma would bring home good news. Yes, she knew Umbra was no deity. She was flesh and blood, like all other Talokians. Yet her connection to the shadows, and her good works as a Legionnaire, made her worthy of respect. All of Talok felt that way.

Hopefully, the shadows would not die with her. Jazinda knew, from gossip, that UP Officials had been seen talking with the shadow priests. Jazinda trusted that the priests would handle the matter well. They must. Talok VIII needed to cooperate with the UP to prosper in these times, but it also needed to be able to protect itself. And with none of the Mallor bloodline remaining… They would have to find a way.

Jazinda was shaken out of her worry by the sound of her Omnicom ringing. She hastened to it, fumbling with the buttons. It was probably her daughter! Heart pounding, she finally pressed the right button.

“I made it mother! I made it! I’m going to study on Earth!”

Jazinda smiled as only a mother could. “I’m so proud of you, Larysma. When you come home tonight, we’ll have a feast.”

“Thanks mother! I can’t wait!”

Setting the Omnicom down, Jazinda smiled and knelt once more at the statue of Umbra. “Thank you. All this is because of you.”

[ November 11, 2011, 03:02 AM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

INFERNO

The young man muttered to himself as he feverishly switched back and forth between the Omnicoms on his desk.

On his wall were photographs of each of the Legionnaires. All of them had a small tick mark crossed off, save one.

Was she even truly a Legionnaire? He could not find a single story, a single holo, that suggested she was. But he knew she must be.

As if to convince himself he was not crazy, he scanned through the timeline he had constructed. There it was: Inferno was last reported leaving McCauley Industries Headquarters the same day the Legionnaires were reported under the thrall of the Emerald Eye. The day before it was announced Shrinking Violet had been possessed, and half the Legion had departed on a “secret mission”.

Inferno had never been seen again.

Any and all news comments merely mentioned that she, along with Shvaughn Erin, had accompanied the team as allies. Yet, why had she not come back? Everyone else had, along with a resurrected Apparition and a new member, Ferro.

There were not even any official reports that showed her among the rolls. She wasn’t even included in listings of Honorary Legionnaires. She was just casually mentioned as an ally, and that was that.

What had happened to her? Had she been a real Legionnaire? Had she even joined the Legion at all?

He wanted to know. No, he was compelled to know.

He had attended almost every public Legion appearance on Earth since then, vainly trying to be heard over the din of the crowds, shouting for them to tell him about Inferno. He had even cornered Spark once, but all the Legionnaire would say was that Inferno had decided to be left behind. And then she gently brushed him off and flew away.

Now that the Legion was gone, it would be much more difficult to find answers. But he would know, somehow. He would know.

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm loving this tribute to my favorite legion! I wish they would bring them back!

i think my favorite vinyet is the one for Invisible Kid. i know it was an aspect they hinted at but i loved that you brought it out more!
I also love the one about Inferno! I always hated that they just left her and so did dc!

i also like that you threw in Crisis in there to help give it a real legion feel.

i can't wait to see more... are you planning to do one for each legionnaire?

also.. if i may i think your building to a new legion serious with this one...whit some of the characters your bringing in... i could be wrong... please let me know if i am..

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor One
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doctor One   Email Doctor One         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, IB, this is awesome! You really have the makings of a writer, I think. These little vignettes somehow really manage to encapsulate what we loved about these characters. Excellent job!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
This is good stuff, Inviso-Brainy!

I'm not hugely familiar with the characters, but you're really doing a great job of making me feel for them!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by Omni:
I'm loving this tribute to my favorite legion! I wish they would bring them back!

i think my favorite vinyet is the one for Invisible Kid. i know it was an aspect they hinted at but i loved that you brought it out more!
I also love the one about Inferno! I always hated that they just left her and so did dc!

i also like that you threw in Crisis in there to help give it a real legion feel.

i can't wait to see more... are you planning to do one for each legionnaire?

also.. if i may i think your building to a new legion serious with this one...whit some of the characters your bringing in... i could be wrong... please let me know if i am..

Thanks, Omni! I've actually been planning this for a while now, but your own fan-fic spurred me to actually write them.

Re Lyle, I was torn between using Condo or Jacques for his piece. I actually plan to go back and write in a segment where Condo notices something pointing to Jacques, like maybe a token inscribed with "To my brother". I always thought it would be cool if Lyle and Condo were indeed gay.

And Inferno, yeah that bothered me too!

I plan to do one for each Legionnaire eventually, even Thunder, Magno, Chuck and Kid Quantum I - Legionnaires who were "lost" way before the Crisis.

I'm not really planning on focusing on a new Legion, but they will appear throughout the "series". Mostly, though, as a way to show how important the "lost" Legionnaires really were to the galaxy.

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

quote:
Originally posted by Doctor One:
Wow, IB, this is awesome! You really have the makings of a writer, I think. These little vignettes somehow really manage to encapsulate what we loved about these characters. Excellent job!

Thanks, Doc! I'm glad you think I'm doing a good job with them. I hope I can do them all justice.

quote:
Originally posted by Set:
This is good stuff, Inviso-Brainy!

I'm not hugely familiar with the characters, but you're really doing a great job of making me feel for them!

Set, that was probably the best compliment anyone could ever have given me. Thank you!

--------------------

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

CHUCK TAINE [Chuck Taine]

Tenzil Kem peeked into the office of his best pal, in his hands a tray carrying a platter of doughnuts and a tall pitcher of hot chocolate. If he knew one thing about his pal, it was that he was a stress-eater and would greatly appreciate the energy boost.

"Okay, Nightwind, you've made your point. You can't be full-fledged Legionnaires if we don't let you go on missions unsupervised. So I won't tag along on the next one. But..." Chuck made a show of stressing that word. "Any collateral damage comes out of the duty allowance of whomever caused it. Deal?"

"Deal, Mr. Taine. Thanks, we won't let you down."

"I know you won't. I also know you'll probably give me a few more gray hairs, but that seems to be in the job description of any Legionnaire," Chuck replied, not without humor.

"Don't worry, you don't look a day over 27." And with a small laugh, Nightwind winked out before Chuck could retort.

"Looks like insult humor is in the Legion job description too, huh?" Tenzil smiled at Chuck's annoyance. "Here, have a doughnut to take your mind of your aging."

"Har har. You just wait until I beat you at pool again."

Tenzil laughed. "No way I'm gonna play you for bets again - especially now that you've gotten much better at angles, thanks to the Bouncing Boy."

"Have to. With such a large ship, I have to aim just right, or I risk flattening the criminals we're after." Chuck sighed, his hand on the small of his back. "All that piloting does get tiring though. Still, the new kids will be ready soon. Nightwind, Infectious Lass, Polar Boy, Magnetic Kid, Impulse, Lume, Particon, Babbage and the White Witch make a good team. Nothing yet like the old team, though..."

The two friends shared a moment of silence. What hurt more was that the Legionnaires had been their friends. What probably hurt most was that two of them had been a little bit more.

Tenzil sighed. He did have a crush on Violet, but they hadn't shared much more than a few group dates. But Chuck... Chuck and Triad had had something going on. Anyone could see that.

He put a hand on Chuck's shoulder. "She would be proud of what you're doing now. Keeping the team alive, and all that. And besides..." Tenzil took a bite of the tray he was holding. Crunchy and sour, just like iron. "She always thought you looked much better while smiling." He held up the tray, now in the shape of a large smile. "See?"

Chuck couldn't help but laugh. "I don't get it. Even though your jokes are truly awful, I still can't stop laughing at them. Thanks, pal." His grin quickly faded, though.

"I was with them the first time, after the Fatal Five. And we came back. But I was saved from... from whatever it is that took them away again. I can't help thinking... I was left behind for a reason. And if they do come back again... I want things to be ready for them."

Tenzil nodded. "We all do, Chuck. We all do. And we have your back, don't worry."

Chuck took a sip from the hot chocolate. It was warm, just like Triad's smile used to be. He missed her... but deep down, he knew he'd see her again. The only question was... when?

[ October 15, 2011, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Invisible Brainiac ]

--------------------

Omni
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni   Email Omni         Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you so much! i really appreciate that as well and glad that it could help you!

nice. i think that is a great idea! to hear from these characters that we haven't seen since way before the Crisis. the thunder one could be really interesting....

you could continue Condo's with him searching for Jacques to get some closure... or something. i can't wait to see more!

--------------------
read the adventures of the Reboot Legion!

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=001232

From: dorchester, MA | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.