Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Bits o' Legionnaire Business » LMB Action Figures (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: LMB Action Figures
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Deds, if I've never said it directly to you before, I dearly love that depiction of Lardy and all of the personality you put into it. It's, simply, one of my favorite drawings of ANYTHING! Yes, I described the costume and Dean was the first to draw it in the original group pic, but you made Lardy come alive like never before in your drawing. Then, one day, our good friend Loser Lad added the masterful color pallet that really added a whole, new dimension to those great lines you'd originally put together.

I'm thrilled for you, Mark, to see a beautiful portrait you created so long ago come to life as a completely awesome action figure! And I'm so grateful to you, Dean, Bill and Tom for putting so much love and work into a character that has, in turn, helped inspire me to write stories that could be worthy of all that love. Thanks, also to Newc/Michael for another beloved pic of Lardy that currently graces my avatar pic here and to all the others like Joe-Boy, Peebz, etc. who have added their own depictions over the years.

I'm truly honored by you all and feel blessed that there's something about my character that can inspire so many great works of art! Thanks so very, very much to all of you from the bottom of my heart!

[Hug] [Love] [Hug] [Love]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow, Ex, once again you've gone above and beyond to do something great!

:damn overachiever: [Wink]

The figure looks just as good, if not better, than those you can actually buy. Even with that, the highlight for me was your running commentary and visuals of the project.

Outstanding buddy....just outstanding!

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm so stoked that my character gets to be the second one in the new LMB Figure line by Exnihil
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
You really outdid yourself, Ex! Amazing work!

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks so much for all the kind words! You guys are the best!

As a preview of what's up next, here's the target image of Dev-Em to which I'll be working, along with figures I'll be using for the base:

-

The drawing is one that the ever-talented Sketch Lad did last year.

For the figures - although Lobot on the left has the perfect head for Dev, and a nice start for the "puffy armed" sleeves - that Captain Typho fellow on the right (apparently from the Phantom Menance, but I have zero recollection of him) has that tunic and overall build that is too good to pass up.

So, I'll be doing a little head and limb swapping. Although I'm guessing there will be much less sculpting required for this than there was for Lard Lad, I'm really looking forward to the paint work. There is so much detail in Sketchy's design that I think it will be a great challenge.

Should be a fun February!

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 1: When It's Time to Change, You've Got To Rearrange

So, all hepped up on how the first figure came out, I started trawling eBay to find some inexpensive figures to start chopping up to make LMB figure number 2, Dev-Em.

For those who don't know Dev's backstory, he is half Daxamite and half Durlan. Given this joint parentage, it seemed fitting that the construction of his action figure would involve combining bits from two different figures. As mentioned above, I had decided on using the torso and legs from a Phantom Menace character called Captain Typho, and the head and arms from the Empire Strikes Back character, Lobot.

The two arrived and seemed very enthusiastic about working together:

-

The Lobot figure had a couple features that I thought would make this project a little interesting. His little computer headband comes off, leaving a pretty good line to build up the head shape and the ears, and he had removable hands (perfect for a little Durlan shapeshifting customization):

-

I compared the two to the Lard Lad figure to ensure I wouldn't have any scale problems:

-

Typho is a bit taller, but nothing too jarring, and in fact, it sort of makes it more realistic to have a bit of height difference.

So, off to the kitchen to "boil and pop" off the heads and arms, and begin to get an idea of the base I'd be working from:

-

Hmmm... I have to admit, I was a little disappointed in the Lobot head.

Admittedly, he didn't yet have ears, so perhaps that was contributing to the overall look, but I found it a bit gaunt looking, and too elderly. I would be able to smooth out the wrinkes with clay but, even so, it just wasn't clicking for me.

Then, suddenly, as if to shake me out of my daze...

-

...a Stormtrooper showed up out of nowhere and blew future Dev's head off!

Why, Stormy? Why would you do such a thing?

"This is not the Dev you're looking for."

He's not? Well, fine then. Since you seem to have all the answers, where is this perfect Dev-Em head?

"You need look no further than..."

-

"...under this helmet!"

Well... I had to admit, he was right.

This particular Stormtrooper (apparently from some Dark Horse comic book) has a much more representative look for Dev and, apart from the ears, won't require any additional sculpting.

It has a different mount than the Typho body (the body is set up for a peg, while the Stormtrooper has a ball and socket) so I'll have to add that but, in the end, I think it will look much better.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Awesomesauce...Bwahahahahaha!!
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:
Why, Stormy? Why would you do such a thing?

"This is not the Dev you're looking for."

[No] [LOL] [No]

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
Quite the sense of humor!
[LOL]

I was thinking that the sparse braids on Dev's avatar, a Giffen TMK version, is very interesting.
Just a thought.
You and Dev feel free to tell me to mind my own business.

Please, don't send a Stormtrooper over to blow my head off, though.
[No]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
(mistake)

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

Shady, if any Stormtrooper ever dared to pull a blaster on you, I'd be the first one to lay down some force on them. [Hug]

So, onward...

"Dev of Two Worlds"

Part 2: The Mirror Crack'd

When I was working on the Lard Lad figure, I mentioned that I was hesitant to crack open the torso, for fear of breaking it. Now that I've got one figure under my belt though, I'm a little more confident and decided to give it a go for two distinct reasons:

-

1. That lower half of the tunic will be way easier to work on if it's detached, and the only way to do that is by breaking open the torso.

2. More importantly, instead of trying to make my own ball and socket joint for the neck, I decided to just salvage the one from the Stormtrooper (since I already knew it was the perfect fit for the head).

Not wanting to accidentally bend a small screwdriver, I used a tool that came in a tire patching kit I bought years ago (and only ever used that one time, so at least it's getting some use) and cracked open both of the torsos:

-

Once I had that done, I used my dremel to both open up the neck hole bigger (with the grinding bit) and to cut off and taper the ball joint (with the sanding disc):

-

I then Super-glued the joint in place (making sure to not get any glue on the seams):

-

... because I still wanted to be able to separate the two halves for later steps:

-

Finally I made sure I could still take the head on and off without breaking the glue. Yep... the glue is stronger than the force necessary to remove the head. It looks pretty spiffy, too, with future Dev now granted a full range of motion:

-

...unless he... you know... actually wants to walk anywhere or something.

[ February 09, 2012, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Exnihil ]

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
awesome stuff, Exxy!
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Oooooohhhhhh...
Exnihil

Thanks, guys.

OK, this has nothing to do with the current figure I'm working on, but I'm all excited, so I thought I'd share.

After weeks of stalking ebay, I finally just scored this oddly scarce figure, who will wind up being the base for LMB figure #3...

-

Handsome devil, ain't he? Type of fellow one might build a statue or three of. [Wink]

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
oh, great.... like his ego ain't big enough... [Wink]
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.